Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 179. (Read 438378 times)

Activity: 631
Merit: 500
May 15, 2013, 06:27:41 PM
If anyone has problems, I have a new firmware you can try. PM me for a link.

Based off cgminer 3.1 Fixes many issues especially certain problems with difficulty changes and some of the freezing.

Ooooo there is a bug with diff changes? That might be why Avalon likes to freeze on some fast diff changing altcoins. Can you point to the commit where this is fixed?
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
May 15, 2013, 04:47:36 PM
If anyone has problems, I have a new firmware you can try. PM me for a link.

Based off cgminer 3.1 Fixes many issues especially certain problems with difficulty changes and some of the freezing.
Activity: 351
Merit: 250
May 15, 2013, 02:42:42 PM
However, after the upgrade, the miner has stopped hashing twice, and the only way to recover is with a cold reset. Is this a know issue?

The cause is probably related to mains net pollution. This could be a high power device like an airco switching on and off on the same circuit on your fuse box. Perhaps the spike only presents itself once a while and that is why you did not notice until now. It does not look to be software related.

I don't know what "mains net pollution" is  Huh

The power going into my unit is VERY clean and isolated from all other loads. (think data center)

I'm tempted to go back to a previous firmware because the extra 2GH/s benefit is lost when the unit stops hashing.

legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
May 15, 2013, 02:21:01 PM
However, after the upgrade, the miner has stopped hashing twice, and the only way to recover is with a cold reset. Is this a know issue?

Yes, it seems there are a few race conditions that can present themselves putting the PDU into an inconsistent state.

The end result is that all the values it gives out are 0 (see the screenshot I posted a week ago)

The only solution is to do a hard reset

The cause is probably related to mains net pollution. This could be a high power device like an airco switching on and off on the same circuit on your fuse box. Perhaps the spike only presents itself once a while and that is why you did not notice until now. It does not look to be software related.

Perhaps batch #2 and batch #3 will ship with a different design (some difference appear from the released diagrams)

Try to clean up your mains net as much as possible to play safe
Activity: 351
May 15, 2013, 02:12:43 PM
I am using firmware 20130419. Unfortunately, I don't recall the previous firmware version I was using.

Prior to the upgrade on May 5, the Avalon unit ran without any problems.

Cheers!
legendary
Activity: 1610
May 15, 2013, 08:19:47 AM
Done a little bit study about the cooling, after adding two nexus real silent fan at exhaust, this is the profile I get from a script which recorded the temp each half an hour for several days

After ambient temperature reached 20C, both fan3 and temp3 start to accelerate upwards, means cooling effect start to drop. I have not tested the temp1 at higher than 26C, but I suppose that after the fan reaches 3000+ RPM and temp3 being higher than 47C, the noise and the module temp will become unacceptable

I'm considering two options: Use an air conditioner to keep the intake below 20C, or underclock the avalon when temp3 is higher than 45 degree

Another option is to take all the modules out and mount the cooling fan directly on the heatsink, like someone's cooling on BlockErupter blades, I believe this will dramatically reduce the temp3 by at least 5 degree, but then the other side of the module also need to be actively cooled, it will need at least 3 fans for each module and 9 fans for all 3 modules...  Shocked

The existing fans in avalon are industry grade server fans, works quite well, but the datacable and powercable all blocked part of the air that flow through the heatsink

Dude,

I was worried about cooling also. My avalon clocked at 300 making 71 GH steady was ok at about 30C ambient for three days in a row.
However that was for three days only. I have air conditioner now and ambient is at 23C. I do really think that at 35C it will be OK as ngzhang stated but i am not going to try it anyway Wink
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
May 14, 2013, 10:52:21 PM
Done a little bit study about the cooling, after adding two nexus real silent fan at exhaust, this is the profile I get from a script which recorded the temp each half an hour for several days

After ambient temperature reached 20C, both fan3 and temp3 start to accelerate upwards, means cooling effect start to drop. I have not tested the temp1 at higher than 26C, but I suppose that after the fan reaches 3000+ RPM and temp3 being higher than 47C, the noise and the module temp will become unacceptable

I'm considering two options: Use an air conditioner to keep the intake below 20C, or underclock the avalon when temp3 is higher than 45 degree

Another option is to take all the modules out and mount the cooling fan directly on the heatsink, like someone's cooling on BlockErupter blades, I believe this will dramatically reduce the temp3 by at least 5 degree, but then the other side of the module also need to be actively cooled, it will need at least 3 fans for each module and 9 fans for all 3 modules...  Shocked

The existing fans in avalon are industry grade server fans, works quite well, but the datacable and powercable all blocked part of the air that flow through the heatsink

Activity: 17
Merit: 0
May 13, 2013, 12:41:37 PM

When you reset, somehow, it should go back to default, which is, accordinly to the avalon user guide: 192.168.0.100

Well that worked..almost. I could enter failsafe-mode. Here's the instruction:
--
To get into failsafe mode, power up the device and wait until the LED starts flashing (about 2Hz). Once it starts flashing (within about 4 seconds) then quickly press the button. The LED will then flash much faster and the device will be in failsafe mode.
--

Failsafe IP is 192.168.1.1. I could telnet to the router. I checked

root@(none):/# cat /etc/config/network

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.0.100'
        option 'gateway' '192.168.0.1'
        option 'dns' '8.8.8.8'

Everything seems fine. Anyway, after rebooting I'm not able to ping or ssh 192.168.0.100.

Edit: Fixed it!
After making the filesystem writeable with "mount_root" /etc/config/network looked differently:

config interface 'lan'
        option ifname 'eth0'
        option type 'bridge'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.0.100'
        option dns '8.8.8.8'
        option gateway '192.168.0.101'
        option netmask '0.0.0.0'

Changed it. Reboot. Problem solved.
(And back to my original problem. Will probably talk about that later..)

Thanks for your great and fast help!
Activity: 315
Official sponsor of Microsoft Corp.
May 13, 2013, 12:25:58 PM
I noticed I didn't have any zombie mode since I changed my TV to another group, I also noticed in retrospect, that the zombie mode happened after I turned on an electrical device that was attached to the same group,  have been running smooth now for 16 days (10 days of cgminer uptime, 16 days of device uptime) .. but i'm not sure if that is because I changed the TV, but who knows..

A fridge, a washing machine, a dishwasher, hairdryer, air conditioning - all such devices being plugged in the same house wire with the Avalon could easily make it feel dizzy, as well. So better take it into account and/or think about the stock PSU upgrade.
Activity: 473
Sodium hypochlorite, acetone, ethanol
May 13, 2013, 11:55:06 AM
FYI, this morning my Avalon stopped hashing. It was hashing fine before I went to sleep, but after restarting cgminer and issuing the "reboot" command at the openwrt prompt, it still didn't work. I had to manually power cycle the machine by turning off the power to get the machine hashing again. I was using the latest 20130410 firmware. Gave me a good scare.

Here's the error that cgminer was giving:
AVA0: FPGA controller mess up, 24 wrong results                   
Avalon: Reset failed! not an Avalon? (0: c1 4f 87 64)

Yeah...umm...there is an issue with the FPGA controller board. I heard on the grapevine that they are working on a firmware workaround for it. Stay tuned to this thread.

Btw, what was your uptime before the lockup?

I noticed I didn't have any zombie mode since I changed my TV to another group, I also noticed in retrospect, that the zombie mode happened after I turned on an electrical device that was attached to the same group,  have been running smooth now for 16 days (10 days of cgminer uptime, 16 days of device uptime) .. but i'm not sure if that is because I changed the TV, but who knows..
legendary
Activity: 1064
May 13, 2013, 11:49:08 AM
you cant reach the router.
the avalon is still there, conect it to your PC with cgminer installed via USB, asap, then you think about repairing/reseting the router.

Thanks for that quick answer! I have to install cgminer first on my Laptop...
Can the router be reset by the small button? How? What IP does it have afterwards? Will I be able to flash it again with the latest custom firmware?

Really appreciate your help.

I dont have avalon, but have 703n, dont try anything without being certain of what you are doing.
Once I tried to reset one 703n with xiangfu custom openwrt(pre-asic) I think I bricked it, hopefully, I had  backup 703 and I still havent tried to repair. Now might be a good time for that, but, Im sure someone else will answer the question before me.

When you reset, somehow, it should go back to default, which is, accordinly to the avalon user guide: 192.168.0.101
May 13, 2013, 11:39:31 AM
the avalon is still there, conect it to your PC with cgminer installed via USB, asap, then you think about repairing/reseting the router.

Thanks for that quick answer! I have to install cgminer first on my Laptop...
Can the router be reset by the small button? How? What IP does it have afterwards? Will I be able to flash it again with the latest custom firmware?

Really appreciate your help.
legendary
Activity: 1064
May 13, 2013, 11:34:12 AM
While trying to solve some networking problems on my avalon I made it even worse Sad

Connected via LAN disabled WLAN, later I set the LAN subnet to 0.0.0.0. IP address is still 192.168.0.100. Now I can't reach it anymore. Is there a way to reach it again?

May 13, 2013, 11:31:35 AM
While trying to solve some networking problems on my avalon I made it even worse Sad

Connected via LAN disabled WLAN, later I set the LAN subnet to 0.0.0.0. IP address is still 192.168.0.100. Now I can't reach it anymore. Is there a way to reach it again?
yxt
legendary
Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116
May 13, 2013, 10:14:22 AM
we are talking about the AVM FRITZ!DECT 200?

--> yes,you need a fritz box for this one

FRITZ!Box 7390
   FRITZ!Box 7360
   FRITZ!Box 7330
   FRITZ!Box 7320
   FRITZ!Box 7270 (>=v2)
   FRITZ!Box 7240

FRITZ!Box 6842 LTE
   FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
   FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE

legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
May 13, 2013, 09:14:26 AM
Does this one also require Fritz box to be funtional?

yes
for sure?
(then I have to cancel my order...)
Activity: 798
May 13, 2013, 04:49:05 AM
Do you see difference in sentence "Confirmed working PSU list" and for example "Confirmed suitable PSU list"?
Activity: 473
Sodium hypochlorite, acetone, ethanol
May 13, 2013, 04:43:23 AM
on the wiki it says:

The PSU Spec
155mm recommend, MAX: 170mm
 For 3 module units: 650W, 48A 12V, at least. recommend for a 20% margin.
 For 4 module units: 750W, 60A 12V, at least. recommend for a 20% margin.

but on the confirmed working list there is a OCX ZX

Comfirmed working PSU list
ANTEC EA-650 GREEN
Enermax GX650
Enermax GX750
CORSAIR GS700
CORSAIR GS800
Super-Flower(振华) SF-650P14XE(GX)
Enermax 金魔冰核1000W(suit for 4 modules, a little bit long)
OCZ ZX Series 1250W

and I find on internet the dimensions of the OCZ are bigger than 170mm:

Dimensions (W x L x H) 150 x 175 x 86mm

Wouldn't that make the OCZ too big?
(the Enermax is 16 cm)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
Jump to: