Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 183. (Read 438378 times)

legendary
Activity: 892
Merit: 1002
1 BTC =1 BTC
April 15, 2013, 02:30:54 PM
We have in the Ukraine in the villages of 153kbit / s

No problem, the stratum protocol is really efficient, 1 Avalon is under 32 kbit/s.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
April 15, 2013, 02:20:37 PM

Also in regards to the avalon unit coming back online from a power outage, sometimes that does not happen. Rarely what could happen is the unit will be left in a zombie like state because the control board did not initialize properly. For me this happened once when there was a brownout.

would the control board respond to a ping in that situation from this device?  http://dataprobe.com/iboot-g2.php

Bear in mind that router board (which runs the cgminer software and management front end) is NOT the control board. What I mean by the control board is the Spart6 FPGA board that takes the instructions from the cgminer software running on the router board and coverts that to work batches for the ASICS. The control board is the one with all the "IDE like" cables running out of it and to the individual hashing modules. The control board does not respond to ping requests because it is not accessible via any network protocols as it's attached to the router board via USB. The router board responds to ping request and I'd imagine it would also respond to ping request even if the mining software is not running or in some sort of locked up or crashed state. If the router's OS was completely down or broken then yes it would not respond to ping requests. The power control devices - dataprobe - are of limited use in this scenario. They are still useful for when you want to quickly power cycle the machine for whatever reason.

It would be neat if they made a 2 socket version of the iBoot-G2. The reason for 2 is that ideally you'd want 2 Avalon units per 15 Amp circuit. The one with multiple power sockets has only 1 power in cable.

Edit: Ooops..seems there is a iBoot-G2+ which allows you to control up to 3 power outlets. Neat!

Yep, it is a neat device but you're stuck having to constantly ssh in to try and catch the rare zombie like condition.

What other solutions are there assuming they're kept off site?

I have mine connected to a Web Power Switch:

http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

The WPS itself has an "AutoPing" feature that can ping an IP every minute or so, and reset the specified outlet if it fails to respond after a few requests.

The whole WPS can only handle 15A in total.  If I wanted to put a bigger load on it, I'd build some relay boxes to allow it.
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
April 15, 2013, 02:11:24 PM
We have in the Ukraine in the villages of 153kbit / s
Activity: 117
Life is short, play long
April 15, 2013, 02:04:53 PM
Could somebody tell me how much bandwidth an Avalon consumes in KB/s? My connection is 800 KB/s down and 100 KB/s up, but is also needed for browsing, downloading etc.

See screenshot, hopefully this helps you
http://postimg.org/image/416uj0y3t/
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
April 15, 2013, 01:52:56 PM
Could somebody tell me how much bandwidth an Avalon consumes in KB/s? My connection is 800 KB/s down and 100 KB/s up, but is also needed for browsing, downloading etc.

Jesus, where do you live?
In a third world country, like italy. I have the same connection (well, i have 3 of that connections, bounded togheter to have something somewhat usable).

The stratum protocol should use something like 1Kbps or 1KBps, not sure.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Vertrau in Gott
April 15, 2013, 01:50:04 PM

Jesus, where do you live?
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
April 15, 2013, 01:33:49 PM
Activity: 658
April 15, 2013, 10:15:49 AM
Since this "is" Avalon users thread let us poor people know how much money you guys have made that you have CASHED in, NOT how many bitcoins you have accumulated. I'm quite curious. Of course if you want to refrain from letting us know how much money you have made that is your liberty and don't need any nasty offending comments that I've offended you for asking. Smiley

I just want to sulk and go into a deep depression from hearing all the numbers.

Haven't sold anything the avalons have made. Did sell some coins I had from before, bought back in when the price dropped.
legendary
Activity: 892
Merit: 1002
1 BTC =1 BTC
April 15, 2013, 05:44:00 AM
you ask for it :p
20k$ in a month, my year's salary Cheesy

Congrats ! Your income tax will increase 100% this year Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1610
April 15, 2013, 05:26:57 AM
Since this "is" Avalon users thread let us poor people know how much money you guys have made that you have CASHED in, NOT how many bitcoins you have accumulated. I'm quite curious. Of course if you want to refrain from letting us know how much money you have made that is your liberty and don't need any nasty offending comments that I've offended you for asking. Smiley

And a happy pill 24x7  Smiley

Activity: 607
April 15, 2013, 05:09:28 AM

legendary
Activity: 1274
Personal text my ass....
April 14, 2013, 06:08:50 PM

legendary
Activity: 1274
Personal text my ass....
April 14, 2013, 06:03:34 PM
but seasonic are (too?) large

They may be physically too large...have to get exact dimensions I guess. That's probably the one thing you don't want to be cheap on, is a good PSU and I think Seasonic's are the best in the business.

Activity: 117
Life is short, play long
April 14, 2013, 01:51:53 PM
What are safe temperature levels for the Avalon units?
I'm looking currently at T1: 27, T2: -1, T3: 46
Where T3 fluctuates between 44 and 47.

Also I'm having for ~20 hours of mining 1150 HW errors, is this usual?

The status screen anyways brings up alot of questions, in sence of; what do all the abriations mean (didn't find it on the wiki, and I'm pretty new to mining).
legendary
April 12, 2013, 05:38:31 PM
cant fix the fpga, its a bug in hardware ( according to xiangfu ). We are going to ditch the serial code and use direct usb. new drivers.  ckolivas and xiangfu are going to try and do that next week. That should let us work around the problem and make things much more fluid.
Super!
10X for the update!
Activity: 658
April 12, 2013, 05:29:51 PM
cant fix the fpga, its a bug in hardware ( according to xiangfu ). We are going to ditch the serial code and use direct usb. new drivers.  ckolivas and xiangfu are going to try and do that next week. That should let us work around the problem and make things much more fluid.
legendary
April 12, 2013, 05:22:20 PM

Yeah...umm...there is an issue with the FPGA controller board. I heard on the grapevine that they are working on a firmware workaround for it. Stay tuned to this thread.

Btw, what was your uptime before the lockup?

You mean a new bitstream for spartan 6?  That will be great! Are you sure about it dude? Who spreads this rumor..?
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
April 12, 2013, 04:56:03 PM
FYI, this morning my Avalon stopped hashing. It was hashing fine before I went to sleep, but after restarting cgminer and issuing the "reboot" command at the openwrt prompt, it still didn't work. I had to manually power cycle the machine by turning off the power to get the machine hashing again. I was using the latest 20130410 firmware. Gave me a good scare.

Here's the error that cgminer was giving:
AVA0: FPGA controller mess up, 24 wrong results                   
Avalon: Reset failed! not an Avalon? (0: c1 4f 87 64)

Yeah...umm...there is an issue with the FPGA controller board. I heard on the grapevine that they are working on a firmware workaround for it. Stay tuned to this thread.

Btw, what was your uptime before the lockup?

Activity: 631
April 12, 2013, 01:55:15 PM
FYI, this morning my Avalon stopped hashing. It was hashing fine before I went to sleep, but after restarting cgminer and issuing the "reboot" command at the openwrt prompt, it still didn't work. I had to manually power cycle the machine by turning off the power to get the machine hashing again. I was using the latest 20130410 firmware. Gave me a good scare.

Here's the error that cgminer was giving:
AVA0: FPGA controller mess up, 24 wrong results                   
Avalon: Reset failed! not an Avalon? (0: c1 4f 87 64)
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
April 12, 2013, 11:06:51 AM
Yeah sorry I forgot to mention to try connecting via Ethernet first. I assumed he would know that though. If that fails he can always reset the system to factory defaults: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n

But I'd recommend trying a straight Ethernet connection before messing with the reset button.
Jump to: