Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon stable @ 98,986Mhash/sec - page 3. (Read 12750 times)

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002
June 25, 2013, 03:44:07 AM
Have anyone tried to completely submerge Avalon into mineral oil? That works very well for desktop computers.

Fluid would be too viscous for the fanz...Wink

I've got a system that's submerged in mineral oil (quad E5-4650).  Transformer oil to be specific (lower viscosity, higher flash temps, mostly synthetic, no PBAs).   Fans don't really care, although that's not the primary circulation method (pump).

might try putting my upcoming BFL units in mineral oil too.
 Cool
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
June 25, 2013, 03:21:01 AM
was wondering how long it'd take people to notice ( and more importantly share the constant that we've released on github.)

the number you are all aiming for is 450 Tongue of course, that's not really possible on just air cooling.
What I find bizarre is that Avalon chips are able to hit 450Mhz with liquid cooling on plastic packaging.

What then would these chips hit in terms of clock if they were packaged like BFL's?

I can't help but wonder...

And gen 2....will be....worth watching....
Activity: 491
Merit: 514
June 25, 2013, 03:20:06 AM
was wondering how long it'd take people to notice ( and more importantly share the constant that we've released on github.)

the number you are all aiming for is 450 Tongue of course, that's not really possible on just air cooling.

Wow, somebody needs to start selling custom Avalon water blocks ASAP Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I have once created a cooling block design for the Avalon miner.
Sadly i never got my hands on a Avalon in time.
So if anybody would be interested, tell me.

I'm sure there will be lots of interest. I just e-mailed the plans for a water block posted here to a machinist I know to see if he can build them locally but I would pay good money if there are any other options out there.
Activity: 410
Merit: 252
Watercooling the world of mining
June 25, 2013, 02:58:22 AM

Wow, somebody needs to start selling custom Avalon water blocks ASAP Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I have once created a cooling block design for the Avalon miner.
Sadly i never got my hands on a Avalon in time.
So if anybody would be interested, tell me.

I've got a feeling we're going to see some interesting K16 cooling solutions being created to get more than 4.5GHs out of each unit...

Psst... ask Zefir... he has a design I believe that will be shared open source for a water block. Given that the Avalon seems to be right as rain with some great numbers should be great for Klondikes.
I will create a waterblock for zefir as well soon.
Might help to boost the chips performance.

Has anybody got to know yet how the 300 Mhz boundary limits of the Avalon work and how to trick it ?
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
June 25, 2013, 02:35:51 AM
I've got a feeling we're going to see some interesting K16 cooling solutions being created to get more than 4.5GHs out of each unit...

Psst... ask Zefir... he has a design I believe that will be shared open source for a water block. Given that the Avalon seems to be right as rain with some great numbers should be great for Klondikes.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
June 25, 2013, 02:11:05 AM
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
June 25, 2013, 02:07:34 AM
originally at 282mh/s  overclock to 450mh/s is 62.6% increase?
June 25, 2013, 01:33:51 AM
My quick math (could be wrong) estimates the Avalon should be able to hit 105-115 Gigahash/second at ~450mhz clock.
cp1
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Stop using branwallets
June 25, 2013, 01:30:02 AM

You mean is possible to hit 450gh/s no kidding? not possible just on air cooling, you need heat sink plus
liquid cooling?

He probably means 450 MHz / chip
June 25, 2013, 01:27:19 AM
What is the chip capable of 350 Mh/s or more?
June 25, 2013, 01:23:53 AM
As I recall, I remember telling you to try 90+ gh/s this morning.   Grin

Congrats man.  And yes I believe 100 to 120Ghash/sec is attainable.   Just make sure your A/C does not auto shutoff because it sense's your  "Room" hits X ammount of degrees target.

Mine did.

:/

All is well.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001
June 25, 2013, 12:59:39 AM

Am in the process of making one when my unit arrives and ill be selling them to people but a fair bit of that still waiting on batch #2
June 25, 2013, 12:58:09 AM

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
June 25, 2013, 12:49:57 AM

Do you think that the batch 1 design power distribution can manage the increased power draw at those speeds?
Activity: 406
June 25, 2013, 12:18:04 AM

You mean is possible to hit 450gh/s no kidding? not possible just on air cooling, you need heat sink plus
liquid cooling?
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team
June 25, 2013, 12:11:37 AM

gbx
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
June 25, 2013, 12:05:52 AM

Is condensation an issue at all here with the AC cooling it? Just curious.

I've had my AC unit blowing directly at my 3*7970 for over a year now, never had a problem, but in the summer, the AC can barely keep up... temps are getting over 80 C on hot days.

Part of air conditioning (heat exchange) works to cool the air cools by removing moisture.  Static electricity would be a bigger risk than condensation... the condensate accumulates on the coils of the A/C unit and (hopefully) is removed by some method (a drain?).

Static electricity does have a tendency to be worse in dry air and is a bigger risk factor IMHO.  I seem to notice this more in the summer months of air conditioned server rooms.  Although I am not sure an R2D2 unit such as that would cause any concern for overly dry air and static electricity.
June 24, 2013, 11:50:40 PM
quite impressive. I'm planning to do the same thing with a very similar looking AC unit.

Question: did you upgrade the PSU? and if so, what are you running now? and if not, can you verify the make/model of the PSU that came with your avalon?

Thanks

I'm also curious if you are running the stock PSU.
Activity: 280
June 24, 2013, 11:05:35 PM
congratulations
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
June 24, 2013, 10:55:48 PM
Have anyone tried to completely submerge Avalon into mineral oil? That works very well for desktop computers.

Fluid would be too viscous for the fanz...Wink

I've got a system that's submerged in mineral oil (quad E5-4650).  Transformer oil to be specific (lower viscosity, higher flash temps, mostly synthetic, no PBAs).   Fans don't really care, although that's not the primary circulation method (pump).
Pages:
Jump to: