Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon users: bitcoind + eloipool configuration - page 4. (Read 36142 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
On testnet with 2 avalons I find 10-20 blocks per minute. It's nuts.

Also don't be a dick and mine testnet difficulty sky high. Use an alt coin Cheesy
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
If you are on testnet and you havent found a block yet with a avalon something is wrong. With a dual GPU normally find one every 5 to 10 minutes

I found a bunch of blocks on the testnet.  I just haven't found any with my avalon in production yet.  With eloipool and the 3/25 firmware it's completely stable and seems to run at just over 67000 constantly.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
If you are on testnet and you havent found a block yet with a avalon something is wrong. With a dual GPU normally find one every 5 to 10 minutes

thats about the rate i was finding them in the other thread. 

what use is it for me to send those testnet coins to that faucet?
Activity: 176
Merit: 100
Has anyone else tried running eloipool against the test network?  I set it up with this configuration, but when I tried the test network it gave me errors in cgminer.

Works fine. Make sure you haven't commented out the test net stuff in config.py

Also there's a stratum bug on LP for new blocks the 2 arguments given blah whatever, it's ok to ignore.

If I can ignore that then maybe I should post my install scripts.  I have it set up on my machine with my avalon pointed at it, but it hasn't found a block yet.

If anyone wants to test some install scripts for setting up eloipool + bitcoind on Ubuntu 12.04 send me a PM.

Edit: A link to the scripts is in my sig.
Has anyone else tried running eloipool against the test network?  I set it up with this configuration, but when I tried the test network it gave me errors in cgminer.

Works fine. Make sure you haven't commented out the test net stuff in config.py

Also there's a stratum bug on LP for new blocks the 2 arguments given blah whatever, it's ok to ignore.
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
So... I rebuilt the server from scratch and everything seems to be working now... thanks for the steps.

One hint for fellow ubuntu folks. I don't recommend using the prebuilt bitcoind.  I think that was what was giving me grief the first time around.  Build it yourself by following TikToc's steps in "Avalon users: bitcoind and slush's/generalfaults mining pool setup" thread.  Follow the steps for building bitcoind and you should be good to go.

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

If you want to operate a public pool and do not know linux... then my arguments, well... just please don't.

i can understand your frustration with those of us who don't have the experience with linux that you do.

but my feeling is that you should be encouraging and helping those of us who are willing to mine solo and don't mind the variance.  IMO, mining is becoming too centralized at pools and anyone who can distribute that power away from the pools helps the community at large.  

my personal goal is to always be able to be a full node and mine solo if possible as i think it's more healthy for the network long term.  if it turns out i can't do this b/c i can't get sufficient help then so be it.
Well, the real reason you can't solo mine is because you're using a fork of cgminer on Avalon.
Encourage the Avalon team to switch to BFGMiner so you can get GBT support that both works and supports solo mining Smiley
Then you won't need to setup a pool at all.
is it possible to run two avalons (threads) with a single instance of bfgminer currently? what i mean -S/dev/ttyUSB0 -S/dev/ttyUSB1 assuming that both tty's are avalons?
Yes, just be sure you have an Avalon-enabled build. The default for all other platforms does not have it enabled at the moment.
10X Luke.I will give it a shot sooner. I am waiting for my er703 spare to arive
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

If you want to operate a public pool and do not know linux... then my arguments, well... just please don't.

i can understand your frustration with those of us who don't have the experience with linux that you do.

but my feeling is that you should be encouraging and helping those of us who are willing to mine solo and don't mind the variance.  IMO, mining is becoming too centralized at pools and anyone who can distribute that power away from the pools helps the community at large.  

my personal goal is to always be able to be a full node and mine solo if possible as i think it's more healthy for the network long term.  if it turns out i can't do this b/c i can't get sufficient help then so be it.
Well, the real reason you can't solo mine is because you're using a fork of cgminer on Avalon.
Encourage the Avalon team to switch to BFGMiner so you can get GBT support that both works and supports solo mining Smiley
is it possible to run two avalons (threads) with a single instance of bfgminer currently? what i mean -S/dev/ttyUSB0 -S/dev/ttyUSB1 assuming that both tty's are avalons?
Yes, just be sure you have an Avalon-enabled build. The default for all other platforms does not have it enabled at the moment.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Luke,

Best
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Have a new build of BFGminer to test?
Not yet. Due to time constraints, I will probably only be releasing 3.0.0 for Avalon as a package, and try to figure out instructions for Avalon users to install it to the ramdisk.

I discovered a faster way to install BFGminer:

Apply this directly to the control board and you're done. Similar end result, but more permanent.

Ckolivas is going to develop remotely on my units next week. Hopefully the issue is close to being fixed.
Last I heard, he admitted to intentionally making GBT support in cgminer defective, so I kinda doubt that.

Consider repeating this a few more times. Maybe add an "Amen" and it will become true!
legendary
Not yet. Due to time constraints, I will probably only be releasing 3.0.0 for Avalon as a package, and try to figure out instructions for Avalon users to install it to the ramdisk.

Ckolivas is going to develop remotely on my units next week. Hopefully the issue is close to being fixed.
Last I heard, he admitted to intentionally making GBT support in cgminer defective, so I kinda doubt that.
Unless he's changed his mind recently, I know solo mining support had never been on his planned features list.

now that is good news.

will he be working on solo mining or just fixing the restarts?

We'll take whatever we can get.
legendary

now that is good news.

will he be working on solo mining or just fixing the restarts?

legendary

that sounds like a reasonable suggestion.

but then how did Garzik solo mine with his cgminer fork and eloipool?
My point is that setting up Eloipool is a workaround to the problem of being unable to solo mine directly.

ah, ok.  seems to me that if BFGminer allows Avalon owners to solo or pool mine directly then indeed it needs consideration.

i'll certainly bring that up when i can but it seems Avalon is pretty set in their ways.  Grin
legendary

My point is that setting up Eloipool is a workaround to the problem of being unable to solo mine directly.
legendary

legendary

Pages:
Jump to: