Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon users: bitcoind + eloipool configuration - page 5. (Read 36142 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

If you want to operate a public pool and do not know linux... then my arguments, well... just please don't.

i can understand your frustration with those of us who don't have the experience with linux that you do.

but my feeling is that you should be encouraging and helping those of us who are willing to mine solo and don't mind the variance.  IMO, mining is becoming too centralized at pools and anyone who can distribute that power away from the pools helps the community at large.  

my personal goal is to always be able to be a full node and mine solo if possible as i think it's more healthy for the network long term.  if it turns out i can't do this b/c i can't get sufficient help then so be it.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
In your config.py did you change ALL the test net values to real values? Check every edit in the OP.

Check your bitcoin.conf and make sure you set rpcallowip to 127.0.0.1 and your LAN IP.
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
Looking for a little guidance on eloipool setup.

I am fairly comfortable with ubuntu... though a bit new to python.

Anyway... I am running ubuntu 12.04 LTS server, and I think I have a stupid configuration error somewhere.  This is a pretty vanilla ubuntu 12.04 server with python3, libpython3.2, python3-dev, and build-essentials installed via apt.

I followed the top post and after all is said and done, I see in my eloipool.log the following message in a fairly tight loop:

Code:
2013-03-30 17:22:48,844 merkleMaker     CRITICAL        Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/json/decoder.py", line 367, in raw_decode
    obj, end = self.scan_once(s, idx)
StopIteration

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 692, in run
    self.merkleMaker_I()
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 682, in merkleMaker_I
    self.merkleMaker_II()
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 648, in merkleMaker_II
    return self._updateMerkleTree()
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 548, in _updateMerkleTree
    self._updateMerkleTree_I()
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 512, in _updateMerkleTree_I
    r = self._updateMerkleTree_fromTS(TS)
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 477, in _updateMerkleTree_fromTS
    MP = self._CallGBT(TS)
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 327, in _CallGBT
    MP = access.getblocktemplate(self.GBTReq)
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/python-bitcoinrpc/jsonrpc/authproxy.py", line 107, in __call__
    resp = json.loads(resp, parse_float=decimal.Decimal)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/json/__init__.py", line 322, in loads
    return cls(**kw).decode(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/json/decoder.py", line 351, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/json/decoder.py", line 369, in raw_decode
    raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded

I went and edited /usr/lib/python3.2/json/decoder.py so the raise would print "s" as well (i.e. raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded"+s) ) to get visibility on the problem message and it turns out to be a 401 error:

Code:
"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

Error

401 Unauthorized.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?  This is a fresh ubuntu 12.04LTS with the bitcoin.org ppa based bitcoind.  I felt it was safer to use the packaged 0.8.1 bitcoind rather than build my own... but I am not afraid if needed to build it if needed.

I checked my rpc username and password in my bitcoin.conf and config.py to make sure they match.

I thought it might be an access thing... but... I don't see anything suspicious in /var/log.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... or any pointers.  The forum search didn't turn up anything so I thought I would post.

Thanks -
Activity: 504
WTF???
I would highly suggest that you keep the testnet setting in the config.py and configure your bitcoind to use testnet and mine a few blocks there to make sure your setup is working before you swap it over to the real network.

That's why testnet exists.

A very good suggestion. With the testnet difficulty and an avalon you can mine a hundred blocks in less than an hour.
Activity: 658
I would highly suggest that you keep the testnet setting in the config.py and configure your bitcoind to use testnet and mine a few blocks there to make sure your setup is working before you swap it over to the real network.

That's why testnet exists.
legendary
do you think you can make a image of the install Cheesy
or a vitrual m
donation for the image will be made

i second that.

Yeah... I'll make you an image with no back doors or ways to steal all of your coins...

Just use a pool if you can't follow his easy to use step by step instructions.

the problem is, many of us don't use linux, ok?

i'd trust Jeff to make an image.

The problem if you don't know how to use linux and follow the basic steps that are already in this post, are... well, how would you then run the pool? Even just for yourself?

At the very minimum, you would need to go in and delete the bitcoin wallet, because if Jeff made one obviously he wouldn't duplicate his own wallet into the image, it would be empty or a generic one. Are you comfortable doing that in linux? What about all of the SQL related stuff? Troubleshooting?

It seems like to me, if you don't know linux, you shouldn't run this pool. If you have one avalon, join an existing pool. If you have 3 avalons, run each of them solo. There will be variation but with the extra power, on average you'll still be able to pull some blocks down and with less variance than a single machine.

If you want to operate a public pool and do not know linux... then my arguments, well... just please don't.

Yes, I would agree with this.  You actually don't need to use the SQL stuff if running solo but you need to be able to go in and configure things.  I am going to do it because I am a tinkerer and I am trying to learn all the details about Bitcoin.  I also set up someone to give me paid support if I need it so I probably won't end up saving any money.  Plus I am going to have to keep up with the threads about eloipool and avalons.  A pool is going to do all that stuff for you.  I was going to let others use my solo setup but once I saw that the end user can't control the block reward address I nixed the idea.  If something goes wrong and a block reward is lost (or perceived to be lost) I don't want some 12 page thread claiming I did something with someone's block reward.

don't you use your own block reward address?
legendary
or a vitrual m

i second that.

Yeah... I'll make you an image with no back doors or ways to steal all of your coins...

The problem if you don't know how to use linux and follow the basic steps that are already in this post, are... well, how would you then run the pool? Even just for yourself?

At the very minimum, you would need to go in and delete the bitcoin wallet, because if Jeff made one obviously he wouldn't duplicate his own wallet into the image, it would be empty or a generic one. Are you comfortable doing that in linux? What about all of the SQL related stuff? Troubleshooting?

It seems like to me, if you don't know linux, you shouldn't run this pool. If you have one avalon, join an existing pool. If you have 3 avalons, run each of them solo. There will be variation but with the extra power, on average you'll still be able to pull some blocks down and with less variance than a single machine.

well i know enough to make me dangerous.  Wink  i've run my own small ubuntu server solo pool for a year now w/o any problems.

it's just the eloipool installation stuff above i've never seen before.  i'm sure once i get it installed it shouldn't be much of a problem to maintain.  getting an image installation would help alot of us.
WTF???
or a vitrual m

i second that.

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
or a vitrual m

i second that.

Dude,
If you are not using linux, image will help you a lot but still will be not enough. Just install one for a start and get used to it first. Just my 2 cents
legendary
or a vitrual m

i second that.

legendary
Guy's
Any word on merged mining - BTC+ NMC with this setup. I am aware of the fact namecoind is needed also but what about poll, does it support it?

I found out this is supported. I will paly with it and let you know if i found out how to do it
WTF???
or a vitrual m

i second that.

Activity: 682
I like this a LOT, can't wait to try it out...
legendary
or a vitrual m

i second that.
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
or a vitrual m
Activity: 631
BTW, eloipool step 2 was a pain in the ass to figure out. took me a while to realize the code structure had changed. i think I used the json-compat branch though.
Activity: 631
thanks jeff. i'd previously set up eloipool by myself and it wasn't the most straight forward process. this will help a lot of people.

i just solo mined my first block with an avalon this morning...it took ~4 days across the diff change. it was a very nerve wracking experience. i'd tested eloipool on testnet and it worked, but wasn't sure if everything was working properly on mainnet. the variance is a killer! i lost a few BTC, but am happy to have a fresh block that I can store away for a rainy day Smiley

after the diff change, i actually split my hashing power between POT and solo because the variance was killing me (but i'm still a gambler!)...i was literally watching the eloipool log waiting for a block to be solved. (a watched pot never boils).

i'm back to pool mining now. don't have the stomach (or hashing power) for solo mining =P
legendary
WoW, this is great manual! Thank you!
+1
Activity: 798
WoW, this is great manual! Thank you!
legendary
Activity: 889
Bitcoin calls me an Orphan