Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon6 safety or how I burnt my avalon6 - page 2. (Read 2251 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
January 22, 2016, 09:24:22 AM
If it's of any consolation.... Scanning though the documents I could easily see myself making the same mistake...

Also have to say that 12.2V is a relatively low maximum with many PSU's being set to at least that voltage as standard. Am quite surprised that 12.7V would actually cause damage? With this being a string design with 20 chips would mean a core voltage of 0.635V with 12.7V supply v 0.61V with 12.2V supply.

Rich

yeah  well it could be worse  when I killed the 1 board I had 3 avalon6s hooked up which could have killed 6 boards vs 1 board.

Right now I am waiting for a pm or an email from blockc  >  I want to open the ½ dead avalon to see exactly what I did.

But I know the smell of magic smoke   and that is what I smelt and right after that the 1 board went cool the hash rate dropped by 50%.

As I have stated In more then one spot  I should have really looked harder at the documents and I do not want anyone else to do the same.

And like you said the tolerance is really tight. 12.7 vs 12.2 is   under a  5%  over voltage    as 105% of 12.2  volts = 12.81 volts.

@ virosagits  

well  all power comes from 1 psu

the dual     2000/4000 finsky/j4bberwock

So  maybe part of the  breakout board burnt?  I will check on this idea.

It is possible that the failure is nothing to do with the slightly elevated voltage, it really should have been fine at 12.7V. It's just as likely to be an infant mortality of a part as it is a component that has been overvolted or overpowered? Let's see what you find when you get the go ahead to open up? At least as there was the smell of smoke there will be something to see. Fingers crossed.

And have you have said, and my Mum would have said "It could have been a lot worse".....

Rich

I got tired of waiting for an answer opened it  >

I popped a cap

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
January 22, 2016, 02:47:47 AM
If it's of any consolation.... Scanning though the documents I could easily see myself making the same mistake...

Also have to say that 12.2V is a relatively low maximum with many PSU's being set to at least that voltage as standard. Am quite surprised that 12.7V would actually cause damage? With this being a string design with 20 chips would mean a core voltage of 0.635V with 12.7V supply v 0.61V with 12.2V supply.

Rich

yeah  well it could be worse  when I killed the 1 board I had 3 avalon6s hooked up which could have killed 6 boards vs 1 board.

Right now I am waiting for a pm or an email from blockc  >  I want to open the ½ dead avalon to see exactly what I did.

But I know the smell of magic smoke   and that is what I smelt and right after that the 1 board went cool the hash rate dropped by 50%.

As I have stated In more then one spot  I should have really looked harder at the documents and I do not want anyone else to do the same.

And like you said the tolerance is really tight. 12.7 vs 12.2 is   under a  5%  over voltage    as 105% of 12.2  volts = 12.81 volts.

@ virosagits 

well  all power comes from 1 psu

the dual     2000/4000 finsky/j4bberwock

So  maybe part of the  breakout board burnt?  I will check on this idea.

It is possible that the failure is nothing to do with the slightly elevated voltage, it really should have been fine at 12.7V. It's just as likely to be an infant mortality of a part as it is a component that has been overvolted or overpowered? Let's see what you find when you get the go ahead to open up? At least as there was the smell of smoke there will be something to see. Fingers crossed.

And have you have said, and my Mum would have said "It could have been a lot worse".....

Rich

legendary
January 21, 2016, 07:47:55 PM

Rich

@ virosagits 

well  all power comes from 1 psu

the dual     2000/4000 finsky/j4bberwock

So  maybe part of the  breakout board burnt?  I will check on this idea.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
January 21, 2016, 07:39:46 PM

Rich

Is it possible something carrying the current before it get to the chips burnt out? Maybe something is being used up to its rated safety already and raising the voltage by .7 bust the limit? I dont know.

Either way, thanks Phil for the information, i'll respect that 12.2V at the UI, but that seem kind of icky, since i already get 12.0 to 12.1V at the UI with standard ATX PSU.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
January 21, 2016, 07:35:23 PM

Rich
legendary
January 21, 2016, 06:50:13 PM
 Second try to write this last try was here.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13629552

Let me state I have had double cataract eye surgery and while I like to read It is harder to do then it used be when I was younger.
I am also colorblind.

So I stated I found wiki's writings to have confused me a bit

the correct number is on the left the number on the right is the one my eyes focused on
that was my error.  But if the 12.8 volt number was not there in larger print on a white background
Maybe I would have realized that 12.7 volts is over volting the avalon6  if it is in the gui reading.

I do not want to discuss if this is clear to every one in the entire world.  It was not clear to me and I messed up.

here are the typical settings I would use.

YEAH  my dual 2000 = 4000 watt server psu  set on high which is 12.75 volts gives me this for 2 avalon sixes

[/quote]
Pages:
Jump to: