Author

Topic: [BCN] Bytecoin. Secure, private, untraceable since 2012 - page 398. (Read 1070072 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 100
Small hint: you can make curl request to your daemon and get difficulty anytime.
In linux this works: curl localhost:8081/getinfo
Activity: 692
Merit: 254
terra-credit.com
diff is is rising . right now ~900k

How do you get the difficulty?

Also everytime the block is found there is a HEIGHT xxxxxx, difficulty: xxxxxx line. (visible only with set_log 1)
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
Hi, guys!
Giveaway is still in progress, but there will be no giveaway txs till tomorrow (due to some technical reasons). Sorry  Undecided

BTW how about forming some activists group to promote the coin and to support further services developing?

I want to take part in promotion! But I’m not dev or designer Sad

Doesn't matter at all, The fact you are ready to help is enough. PM me to discuss, pls

Deal!

I want to join you team!
Activity: 84
D*CK Profiler

It's reported when the daemon first connects to the network. Not sure if there is a way to get it poll at any given time.

I see. Thanks for the info. Smiley
Activity: 79

It's reported when the daemon first connects to the network. Not sure if there is a way to get it poll at any given time.
Activity: 84
D*CK Profiler

Activity: 543
Merit: 500
Activity: 80
Hi, guys!
Giveaway is still in progress, but there will be no giveaway txs till tomorrow (due to some technical reasons). Sorry  Undecided

BTW how about forming some activists group to promote the coin and to support further services developing?

Doesn't matter at all, The fact you are ready to help is enough. PM me to discuss, pls

me too. how about to discuss everything? mailing list?
Activity: 421
Merit: 250
Hi, guys!

Deal!
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Hi, guys!

I found these links about Bytecoin / Cryptonote in the official bitcoin wiki!

en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bytecoin
en.bitcoin.it/wiki/CryptoNote
en.bitcoin.it/wiki/CryptoNight
Hi, guys!

legendary
Activity: 988
Merit: 1108
I'll stick with         CryptoNight      vs      Cuckoo Cycle, assuming a size 2^{32} for the latter
memory                2MB                         4GB
memoy-hardness   solid                         can run twice as slow in 3GB, or 50% faster in 6GB
                                                          hardness hypothesized; not provable
parallellizable        not                          at least 20+ threads (probably less than 100)
access pattern       random                     random
latency                 low (cache)                high (main memory)
verification            slow                         instant
%computation       probably > 90%          33%
%memory             probably < 10%          67%

Can you explain what latency means in this particular case? I mean I know it's some kind of delay between something but what stands for "something" here?

Latency is the time between the start of a memory access instruction, and it's end,
when the value has been retrieved, and is available for use.

And from your numbers I assume that cache is much faster compared to main memory?

Yes; cache is at least an order of magnitude faster than main memory.

Note that CryptoNight also does a lot more computation per random memory access
(AES encryption) than Cuckoo Cycle (siphash-2-4), further contributing to its high
computational load.
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Hi, guys!
Giveaway is still in progress, but there will be no giveaway txs till tomorrow (due to some technical reasons). Sorry  Undecided

terra-credit.com
Currently there is a transaction in transaction pool that won't go away even when the block is found. Maybe this problem is some how connected.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it . . my computer was connecting to a lot of different addresses and then rejected and then it carried on to the next. So it would seem that my computer was trying to cash a transaction that had already been spent . . or was being used to try and verify one.

Maybe someone is trying to use the transaction pool to do double spends and failing? Or maybe they're just trying to make a lot of traffic? Was anyone else getting this?

Looked at the source again, I see that there's a note above that code block . . so I would guess this has happened before because a description isn't on every block of code. Heres the description: //check key images for transaction if it is not kept by block.

More on this. I don't know if I'm lucky or what but I'm not receiving connection errors. Not a single disconnect in 2 days.

Also, this mysterious transaction is still in the txpool. Interesting how long will it take to process it.
Activity: 125
I'll stick with         CryptoNight      vs      Cuckoo Cycle, assuming a size 2^{32} for the latter
memoy-hardness   solid                         can run twice as slow in 3GB, or 50% faster in 6GB
parallellizable        not                          at least 20+ threads (probably less than 100)

Can you explain what latency means in this particular case? I mean I know it's some kind of delay between something but what stands for "something" here?

Latency is the time between the start of a memory access instruction, and it's end,

And from your numbers I assume that cache is much faster compared to main memory?
Activity: 148
Recently updated the version, started bytecoind and stumbled upon this:

Attempting to add IGD port mapping.
No IGD was found.

So I googled it and found (surprise) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Gateway_Device_Protocol

Can somebody elaborate on this? What is it for and why it is now in the daemon client.  Huh
legendary
Activity: 988
Merit: 1108

Activity: 125
As it' s said in their whitepaper CryptoNight is "a new memory-bound algorithm for the proof-of-work pricing function. It relies on random access to a slow memory and emphasizes latency dependence. As opposed to scrypt every new block (64 bytes in length) depends on all the previous blocks. As a result a hypothetical "memory-saver" should increase his calculation speed exponentially".
More info you can get by yourself here.

So scrypt gives us ASIC-resistance, but this algo is much better at this field.
From 128KB (scrypt) to 2MB (CryptoNight) is a factor 16 increase in memory usage.

To improve ASIC-resistance further, you'd like to require hundreds of MB,
but that would make verification even slower than it already is.

Other memory-bound proofs-of-work avoid this problem (at the cost of introducing more parrallellism)
by having an asymmetry between computation and verification.
E.g. Momentum, memory-coin 2, my own Cuckoo Cycle, or Coelho's scheme
( "An (Almost) Constant-Effort Solution-Verification Proof-of-Work Protocol based on Merkle Trees" AfriCrypt 2008, Fabien Coelho)

Nice to see you took note of this, that's good news!

Would you mind going over some of the parallels/differences between some of these PoW's compared to this one? I'd especially like a comparison between this one and yours, as I've read some of your posts about it and have a little bit of an understanding.

I'm not really familiar with MMC2 (I know it uses AES, but not much more) or Coelho's scheme though.

terra-credit.com
Currently there is a transaction in transaction pool that won't go away even when the block is found. Maybe this problem is some how connected.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it . . my computer was connecting to a lot of different addresses and then rejected and then it carried on to the next. So it would seem that my computer was trying to cash a transaction that had already been spent . . or was being used to try and verify one.

Maybe someone is trying to use the transaction pool to do double spends and failing? Or maybe they're just trying to make a lot of traffic? Was anyone else getting this?

Looked at the source again, I see that there's a note above that code block . . so I would guess this has happened before because a description isn't on every block of code. Heres the description: //check key images for transaction if it is not kept by block.

Maybe there was some glitch in the system which caused this odd connecting behavior.

Idea about using transaction pool for double spend is unclear to me. How would you do it? As far as I understood once transaction is in the pool it will be taken in the block if it fits in terms of acceptance. And there is no way to doulbe spend it.
Jump to: