Pages:
Author

Topic: Be a mod on CoinChat. 1 BTC a month. - page 2. (Read 3953 times)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0
June 16, 2013, 08:36:25 AM
Well this is certainly interesting, having been a very active mod on coin chat for several weeks up until the very recent past. (Moving house.)

I will definitely be returning to my former level of activity!
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112
June 15, 2013, 11:12:55 AM
Epicness of what happens on CoinChat in the average day:

Me and lordson decided to go tip-mad today, another reason why you should use coinchat  Wink

<3

And of course, the almighty DiamondCardz vs the World battle. Where the mods try to fight me with their powers, while I try to fight them with...tipping.

(of course these periods don't last long, otherwise the whole chat would be submerged in a tip vs 0mute war xD)

And that is your average day, as well as all the other chatter. ;P
Activity: 658
Merit: 502
Doesn't use these forums that often.
June 15, 2013, 11:10:57 AM
* whiskers75 waves his moderator flag about happily, in sudden realization!

Check out #botgames on CoinChat and my custom client! (linked in my signature below for your convienience)
legendary
June 15, 2013, 06:55:42 AM
I've moderated and administrated forums before, so I know that people can get pretty pissed if they're constantly being asked by people if they can be mods.

Just some general tips if you want to be a mod on CoinChat (I speak from administration experience myself):

• For God's sake, don't ask to be one. As an admin/mod of multiple forums, I can say that unless you've been told that people are allowed to make applications, you shouldn't be asking for mod. I'm pretty sure TradeFortress has this view too - if you ask for mod, you don't get it.
  • You don't just become a mod and then check in for 10 minutes daily, this is at ~2 hours at the minimum daily, or you're going to look like you're taking the piss.
  • If you see the 1 BTC a month and that's the only reason you want to moderate, then you shouldn't moderate. Ideally, you should actually *be liked* by most regulars of CoinChat.
  • That means you need a reputation.
  • Which means you need to chat quite a bit.

Edit: Going to keep an eye on this thread, not going to PM you of course.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
June 15, 2013, 06:29:56 AM
I find chat to be a waste of time. Unless I need to talk to someone in real time.
edd
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001
June 15, 2013, 06:17:36 AM
Protip: PMs I get in relation to this thread is how I filter out those that shouldn't be a mod Smiley

A good practice. I consider moderator status to be a lot like political office: those who want it the most are usually the worst candidates for the job.
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
June 15, 2013, 06:01:38 AM
Protip: PMs I get in relation to this thread is how I filter out those that shouldn't be a mod Smiley
legendary
June 15, 2013, 01:20:52 AM
TF has around 9 mods at the moment, I assume he'll only hire more if there starts to be time zone gaps without moderators. Might not be true, though.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
June 13, 2013, 08:53:57 PM
It just sucks because I used my prime email address to create that account now if I create another account I"ll have to use some throw away email address.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
June 13, 2013, 08:28:14 PM
Feel free to, that's the info you could see from clicking on "View Source". And if you're trying to compromise someone else's account, you'll need to know what OS, browser they use, where they access it from, etc.
Sounds like a prime target for behavior phishing. E.g. create a bitcoin faucet: multiple forms to fill, browser headers available, IP address, down speed, etc etc all available.

Though I guess you could then send them an email Cheesy
Activity: 854
June 13, 2013, 10:03:03 AM
Feel free to, that's the info you could see from clicking on "View Source". And if you're trying to compromise someone else's account, you'll need to know what OS, browser they use, where they access it from, etc.

I think the idea can be good, but what would happen if you switch OS and use a new browser? Or, your computer breaks and you buy a new one, and that one would be another OS, and another browser, would you still be able to use the forgot password function?

Well if you get a new computer, change your punctuation/browsing habits, and forget your password all at the time, you can't reset your password.
Activity: 672
June 13, 2013, 07:44:12 AM

I think the idea can be good, but what would happen if you switch OS and use a new browser? Or, your computer breaks and you buy a new one, and that one would be another OS, and another browser, would you still be able to use the forgot password function?
vip
👻
June 13, 2013, 06:39:45 AM
Activity: 854
June 13, 2013, 06:36:50 AM
along with request analysis (IP, useragent, OS, browser) down to even if a user uses the tab key, hits buttons with enter, etc.

Well you just gave away all your security measures, so now I can circumvent them.
vip
👻
June 13, 2013, 05:16:41 AM
Hey TradeFortress I'm not able to log into my account on CoinChat. The password I'm typing in is apparently wrong but I don't remember changing it. Is there any way you can help me retrieve my account password? My username is : The4ner
Sorry but please make a new account.

LOL, you don't have password recovery?
Email recovery is very difficult to do right. Compromising a email account should absolutely NOT mean you just compromised every account of the user. I've been working on advanced recovery wizards involving the information that only the person would reasonably be expected to know, along with request analysis (IP, useragent, OS, browser) down to even if a user uses the tab key, hits buttons with enter, etc.

This is not something that will be used for coinchat, a small web chatroom. If you can't do something right, it's better to not do it at all.
Activity: 980
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
June 13, 2013, 05:12:01 AM
3. Don't ask to be a moderator (this hurts your chances).

Love this thread.   Cheesy

kinda like party of apathy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOUCO5qHGKg
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
June 13, 2013, 04:57:24 AM
Hey TradeFortress I'm not able to log into my account on CoinChat. The password I'm typing in is apparently wrong but I don't remember changing it. Is there any way you can help me retrieve my account password? My username is : The4ner

LOL, you don't have password recovery?
vip
👻
June 13, 2013, 02:30:27 AM
Activity: 602
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
June 13, 2013, 02:13:33 AM
Activity: 798
Time is on our side, yes it is!
June 13, 2013, 12:49:50 AM
Didn't read the rules first so excuse the pm and can't believe I'm just now finding this thread.  I planned to be more active on coinchat so it is a win win situation.
Pages:
Jump to: