Pages:
Author

Topic: Be careful about some messages to your DM - page 2. (Read 771 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 403
I hope you didn't try to hold a conversation in the least or if you did, the best sign if he's a scammer will be when he uses the lure of what you stand to earn, after you do few tasks for him, and such task might entail you divulge personal information without much thought.
If you read some previous responses, you'd understand that the sender of that message isn't actually a scammer and i don't think he would have pulled a fast one on OP even if he held a conversation with the sender. It was just someone who was confused about what was happening in the forum with "merits" on April 1st. That being said, it is obviously good to be sceptical about unsolicited PM's and take many of them as a scam, until proven otherwise, especially when coming from a user that is not reputable or one you are not familiar with.
Exactly, it’s still best just to ignore the message and won’t dare to reply most especially if the sender is not actually known in the forum, otherwise you’ll eventually fall on his trap without you knowing. I have also this feeling that the sender is not really a scammer, but more likely his message might only be misinterpreted. But for our own safety, just stick to what’s best for our DM account, ignore the message, and ignore the sender.
That PM looks a lot like someone who needs a partner in crime, I also don't think that he is a scammer, I don't have a problem replying to PMs until I figure out that it's going in a scamming direction.

It's not necessary to reply to PMs but you might never tell where a conversation is going, not all PMs are scam attempts but it's safer to ignore like you said, still a scam will be so easier to detect on this forum because whatever a stranger wants you to do must be on this forum not asking you to leave this forum and do something else.

True be told, if anyone wants to tell you something they should go straight to the point and they will never send you a link to visit or try to make you leave this forum into another private messaging app for texting.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿

Either way, he may not be a scammer and I'm willing to go with what @lovesmayfamilis says but at the same time, with all the questionable words in the body of the message, I'm tempted to believe he's not the most honest of the bunch. Maybe this is why Op is finding it hard to do anything with the message.

Today, Tahimas decided to create posts and topics on the forum after a long period of inactivity. You can involve him on this topic. Moreover, Tahimas received a neutral review from one participant and could ask for the tag to be removed by telling the reason for the PM since the community is very discussed and scared of his PM Grin. But in my opinion, interrogating him about his connections with any project should not bother anyone or even ask questions.
I responded to Tajimas in a PM but did not agree to his continuation of further contacts. There was no fraud, just like there was no need for his tag.
Activity: 784
Merit: 589
 As long as it's not to promote a crypto project, I would have given it a shot, that's after I must have done an extensive research on him. When we get PM's like these the first thing that comes to mind is scam alert but some of them are actually harmless but we won't know this because some of us may have been burned by seemingly harmless messages the Op sent.
I'm curious though; I wonder if the sender has gotten enough information from the "knowledgeable crypto users" he pm'ed, and again how he managed to get a job at CryptoPotato if he doesn't know much about cryptocurrencies because judging by the message, this looks like an SOS from someone who may have gotten the job with a half truth portfolio or he actually knows what he's doing but just needs easy tips on how to make a great article.
 Either way, he may not be a scammer and I'm willing to go with what @lovesmayfamilis says but at the same time, with all the questionable words in the body of the message, I'm tempted to believe he's not the most honest of the bunch. Maybe this is why Op is finding it hard to do anything with the message.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 1147
I guess I’m seeing this late but all the same, thanks mate and news and stories like this are what we look forward to seeing people share because they’re not just beneficial to the community but also to the private individuals as well.
People have to be very careful of unsolicited messages from unknown users and mostly newbies because they’re the people who easily thinks the forum is dumb and try to scam users and this should also be a wake up call that, these scammers are always doing their best without relenting to scam anyone who falls victim.
This message might be overlook at some point but to be honest, this should always be a good reminder for us not to entertain messages or strangers that are just trying to get our attention, most probably for some hidden reason. And we all know about that, they are doing that to scam us. Good thing if you are well knowledgeable about it, but for someone who thinks everyone in the forum is legit and a reliable person, you are wrong with that, there’s still a lot of scammers hiding in every corner just waiting for their new target.
Activity: 602
Merit: 442
I buy all valid country Gift cards swiftly.
I guess I’m seeing this late but all the same, thanks mate and news and stories like this are what we look forward to seeing people share because they’re not just beneficial to the community but also to the private individuals as well.
People have to be very careful of unsolicited messages from unknown users and mostly newbies because they’re the people who easily thinks the forum is dumb and try to scam users and this should also be a wake up call that, these scammers are always doing their best without relenting to scam anyone who falls victim.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1343
I believe some members are already knowledgeable about such but also I still believe that some aren't. The forum is a big place and any big platform that discusses crypto-currency is always a target for scammers.
There's no trust in strangers, and even if they are not newbie members here, the account of high ranks may have been hacked, and the hacker was able to access it, or the owner sold it to someone.

I have not explicitly received DMs from scammers before on the forum. Still, I have seen a lot of scam links being shared to deceive members, especially those interested in bounties and airdrops and  Beginners. It's our duty that when we see one of these bad people, we must report their messages or posts. I found that the flood of DMs on Telegram, Discord, and X is incredible. So it's crucial to be cautious and pay attention before opening any link from someone or downloading any applications and programs based on his recommendations or the platforms he deals with because these may all be his elaborate traps. Scammers know where cryptocurrency enthusiasts are; therefore, they monitor them closely to trap them and drain their wallets.
Activity: 3052
Merit: 606
I hope you didn't try to hold a conversation in the least or if you did, the best sign if he's a scammer will be when he uses the lure of what you stand to earn, after you do few tasks for him, and such task might entail you divulge personal information without much thought.
If you read some previous responses, you'd understand that the sender of that message isn't actually a scammer and i don't think he would have pulled a fast one on OP even if he held a conversation with the sender. It was just someone who was confused about what was happening in the forum with "merits" on April 1st. That being said, it is obviously good to be sceptical about unsolicited PM's and take many of them as a scam, until proven otherwise, especially when coming from a user that is not reputable or one you are not familiar with.
Exactly, it’s still best just to ignore the message and won’t dare to reply most especially if the sender is not actually known in the forum, otherwise you’ll eventually fall on his trap without you knowing. I have also this feeling that the sender is not really a scammer, but more likely his message might only be misinterpreted. But for our own safety, just stick to what’s best for our DM account, ignore the message and ignore the sender.
Activity: 630
Merit: 420
I believe some members are already knowledgeable about such but also I still believe that some aren't. The forum is a big place and any big platform that discusses crypto-currency is always a target for scammers.
Scammers are always targeting crypto users, and their main target are newbies, because they believe they are new to crypto, and they can brain wash them, since most of them have little or no knowledge about cryptocurrency, they do fall for them. Some people watch videos on YouTube and other social medias, and they see that people are making money from cryptocurrency, and they will also join without having any orientation or basic knowledge about what cryptocurrency, that’s why most of them are easily scammed by scammers.

I have gotten some recently and I would be posting although I have edited the link so it won't be clickable.
I received the message also from the user, I was just kind of busy when I received the message, and I didn’t disturb myself to reply him, since I hardly visit the message section, so it escaped my mind to reply the user when I was free. If I received the message  when I was free, I will have insulted the person, but I just ignored him. We all have to be careful with the messages we receive in our Dm, some of them are just scammers.
Activity: 182
Merit: 120
This is not about scam or not but it's always good to ignore such message, if the sender also read comments during the April fool prank then the sender would have gotten more information, If I'm not mistaken the first comment actually stated it was an April prank. I'm not judging the sender but what do we except from this especially in the crypto space, we see alot of scammer with different format and motive, hearing different and similar stories like  what the op shared as a scamming method. Secondly the fact most forum users received same news sound strange, the rate crypto scam increase daily it's best never trust anyone mostly when it comes to financial deal. People end up regretting making financial deal with an unknown person.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1042
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
Is it true that, under the new rules, the merits can be removed? If that's the way it works now, this is the first news I read about it...

Seems like I'm late but still what would be my first reaction is as follow,

nah nah haha it was just an April fool prank started by the themos itself and many users experience a reduction in merits I have seen many OG's merits going in minus after the implementation of the new system but after some time all things keep on the track as the system already working. The reduction in merits was also faced by some of my community members and they were worried about that haha on the same side, some users experienced an increase in their total merits.

The administration announced that the new merits system will work like this if the quality of posting of the member is good then he/she will start to get merits in his/her total merits but there will be no impact on that of his/her Smerits but after some time hardly one and half day everything gets normal.
Activity: 910
Merit: 875
Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin

I haven't checked the authenticity of this message but it already spells scam. I won't even want to find out if I am wrong or right on that.

Be careful about such newbies, they come with all these enticing stories all to draw you in and then telling you how it's not a scam. In your best interest it best not to find out so don't even click the link. I would find better ways to protect my DM from such in the future.

Anytime I see a Private message from anyone, the first thing I check is the person profile and if it's a person popular here, I don't bother to some findings but if I'm coming across you for the first time, I will check your reputation and check your trust feed back before I even view what you are sent to me. It's help you not to waste your precious time on scammers and trolls who have nothing to do with their time.

Another thing I do is just disabled Newbies from sending you message, most scammers are new accounts, no high rank will want to message you with scam intentions unless it's a bought/hack accounts and from the trust score card, you will see the tags because the accounts must have change hands or email change and password which usually raise suspicion about such accounts.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1321
CoinPoker.com
Be careful about such newbies, they come with all these enticing stories all to draw you in and then telling you how it's not a scam. In your best interest it best not to find out so don't even click the link. I would find better ways to protect my DM from such in the future.
Ive got like tons of messages from newbie. Sure I read some even though theres a warning for me about user scam but its quite obvious on some of them to always ask for some help like send fund. To see messages like this could really make someone suspicious enough that the account is a potential scammer. I am not saying all but on how they construct you definitely got some hint about it.
Activity: 952
Merit: 541
After reading the message, I found he used these words "This is not spam, scam or a prank" because he was too quick to convince you of this negative opinion, I assume this is a scam. His confession also made me wonder about his abilities "He was hired as a cryptocurrency consultant and journalist at a well-known cryptopotato", if he was not someone who had experience in cryptocurrency, there was no way he could have gotten this strategic job.

This type of message is suspicious and avoid clicking on the links attached by these scammers to keep yourself safe from their traps. His doubts about making the topic are very unfounded, if he really wants to find experienced cryptocurrency users, he should be open to all forum members, maybe he can consider other members too who have experience in the Cryptocurrency field.
Activity: 840
Merit: 569

I also received the same PM, and it happened on the first of April when the forum celebrated April Fool's Day. The author of the letter was not in on the joke but only read the headline in META, so he decided that merits could be taken away for any violation.

Besides that, I checked his website, and there is no scam or phishing there. The guy wanted some kind of support, nothing more.

Still, the OP's warning is very relevant. Now, the time is coming when scammers have armed themselves with different types of scams to deceive forum users in one way or another. Don’t expect to receive a lucrative offer, but always ask why they are writing to you, and why would someone give money if they never pinch their pockets.
I equally received the same message from this member on that April fool day too with the same line of story, went through the profile a bit and ignored the user, whatever be his intention, if at all this is true, he shouldn't have gone about messaging member rather create an official thread, this way he will see people willing to help him in that regard, So I don't fancy the fact that the member go about messaging some members in the forum, looks suspicious, though.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
Oh, my God Roll Eyes. Everyone who saw the fraud in this letter seems to be afraid of their own shadow. People, turn off all your PMs and sleep peacefully. This way, you are protected from all sorts of scammers. Why don't you ban PMs?

In another case, just think that you are on a forum. There are different people here; someone communicates through PM, someone publicly displays PM, and this is condemned by the forum.

Nothing will happen to you if you are sober and see the link sent. As long as you don't click on it, you and your account are alive. But I would also like to warn you not to accuse every random person of fraud.
One day you may also have reasons to write to someone in a personal message.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1018
Not your keys, not your coins!
Now, that's obviously a scam.
It's not scam. It's April Fool.

[April fools] Adjustments to Merit calculation
Edit: April fools!

There's no way your merits will be removed
theymos can demerit your posts.
Activity: 2954
Merit: 672
Message @Hhampuz if you are looking for a CM!
I don't think it is a straight scam. Maybe you work for nothing, that's all, but at least it doesn't seem that you will send any money and lose it. But hey! for some people time is more valuable than money itself, and it is a scarce resource indeed, so be careful.

What surprised me is the following:

-snip-
To be honest,i'm afraid to create a topic,because now,under the new rules,the merits of the account can be removed Cheesy
-snip-

Is it true that, under the new rules, the merits can be removed? If that's the way it works now, this is the first news I read about it...
Now, that's obviously a scam. There's no way your merits will be removed, but if your posts are not that high quality and useful, you won't grow your merits earned.

For someone who is still new in the forum, one will definitely bite this message. To be honest, there's no wrong in the message but it only gets clearer that it's a scam seeing at the last part of the message. So if you are not knowledgeable about how everything goes in the forum, you will definitely fall into this kind of scam. Better not to click or post a reply then.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1024
Goodnight, o_e_l_e_o 🌹

The forum has done so much to frustrate those fraudsters and I think it should be commended although this scammers are dogged with their actions. They do send messages to your DM with all sort of crazy format.

I have gotten some recently and I would be posting although I have edited the link so it won't be clickable.

Greetings mate
Judging by your merits and answers on the forum,you are an experienced user of cryptocurrencies
The fact is that a few months ago i was hired as a cryptocurrency consultant and journalist at a well-known cryptopotato
At the moment i am writing articles on the topic "Development of cryptocurrency in the current world order"
I can only get true and comprehensive knowledge from the members of this forum
This is not spam,scam or a prank
I collect statistics for some articles
If the article will be popular,i will share part of my profit with you
To be honest,i'm afraid to create a topic,because now,under the new rules,the merits of the account can be removed Cheesy
I'd be glad to talk to you

-Regards

I haven't checked the authenticity of this message but it already spells scam. I won't even want to find out if I am wrong or right on that.

It's not looking like a scam attempt but it is an unsolicited message. It is right to treat every stranger as a scammer until it is proven otherwise. If you find the message offensive kindly report to moderator and if a few more users report him, he would get a temporary ban which will build up to a permanent ban.
Activity: 336
Merit: 134
I am learning many things from other users as a result of this topic. I get suspicious of any PM. That is my default defensive position so that I do not get scammed. I am even more scared of unsuspecting links because anyone who has used the internet and been a part of a community only  will know that people could lose their accounts, money amd other things through this method. While the user may not have a bad intention, never assume that until they can prove it beyond any reasonable doubt that is the lesson.
Activity: 2520
Merit: 783

The forum has done so much to frustrate those fraudsters and I think it should be commended although this scammers are dogged with their actions. They do send messages to your DM with all sort of crazy format.

Greetings mate
Judging by your merits and answers on the forum,you are an experienced user of cryptocurrencies
The fact is that a few months ago i was hired as a cryptocurrency consultant and journalist at a well-known cryptopotato
At the moment i am writing articles on the topic "Development of cryptocurrency in the current world order"
I can only get true and comprehensive knowledge from the members of this forum
This is not spam,scam or a prank
I collect statistics for some articles
If the article will be popular,i will share part of my profit with you
I'd be glad to talk to you

-Regards

Maybe he's just getting some personal inputs from other experience people by trying to interview those people seems interesting to him so that he can create a good article towards what he mentioned. If he just want to have you to be part of his content then its fine as long as there's no link that you need to sign nor you have been asked for some amount.

Maybe try to ask some sample of the articles he created to verify his legitimacy. But if you are not totally interested then ignore and its good you rise this topic so people will be aware if he send a DM to another person in this forum. But I have doubts about sharing the profit when the article became famous since maybe he will not follow that agreement. Also still we need to be careful receiving such DM's since a lot of deceiving message we can read from a lot of people trying to pull their crazy illegal schemes.
Pages:
Jump to: