Pages:
Author

Topic: Best Bitcoin Android apps and widgets - page 6. (Read 32106 times)

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
January 16, 2013, 11:18:30 AM
If there are any bounties for BitcoinSpinner improvements (new preferences icons Wink, more intuitive UI (did you know there is an actually working address book? It's very well hidden and once you know how it works, it works, although very very slow), … I would look into it again Wink
legendary
WalletScrutiny.com
January 15, 2013, 07:01:16 PM
In the settings I would just want a a checkbox "show confirmation count" that may be off by default, but in the end it's open source, so I'm sure a beautiful patch will get pulled happily Wink
Be my guest  Cheesy
Sad I guess I mentioned it before … I'm very surprised to see SVN. How do you do a pull request with SVN? Would you want a patch file and a revision number? Makes things more complicated, don't you think so?

It's not that complicated:
Get a copy of the code.
Make your change.
Send me a patch.

pätsch. As we like to say in Germany.

I didn't understand what you did with the preferences and would appreciate if you could explain it. Else I was happy it ran immediately after importing into my eclipse Smiley

(preferences)
Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
January 15, 2013, 06:00:04 PM
In the settings I would just want a a checkbox "show confirmation count" that may be off by default, but in the end it's open source, so I'm sure a beautiful patch will get pulled happily Wink
Be my guest  Cheesy
Sad I guess I mentioned it before … I'm very surprised to see SVN. How do you do a pull request with SVN? Would you want a patch file and a revision number? Makes things more complicated, don't you think so?

It's not that complicated:
Get a copy of the code.
Make your change.
Send me a patch.
legendary
WalletScrutiny.com
January 15, 2013, 04:28:27 PM
Be my guest  Cheesy
Jan
legendary
January 15, 2013, 03:16:27 PM
According to the comments, Bitcoin Wallet Balance is pretty useless. Thoughts?
That's only an address watcher. Great if you don't want to import the private key on your phone I guess...
The comments say that the app doesnt show incoming transactions, only outgoing ones, which makes it pretty lacky in my eyes. Havent tried it yet, though.

That's what I use it for, but now I'm using the blockchain app which you can import a watch only address.
Nice feature. Unfortunately the playstore tells me that my htc Wildfire is not supported. I took a glimpse at it during my last Bitcoin tx in Argentina though. It looked a bid dull and didnt show how many confimations any given tx had (Bitcoin Spinner doesnt either though).
BitcoinSpinner does not show the number of confirmations as a number, but it displays transactions with less than 6 confirmations in grey, and unconfirmed transactions as "(unconfirmed)". Also, the front page shows "Coins on the way to you: XXX BTC" and "Coins you are sending: XXX BTC" if you have unconfirmed coins to/from your wallet.
My goal with BitcoinSpinner is not to make a tool for the tech savvy, but for average end users, so I try to distill the information into something more user friendly.

I understand that. But recently while taking my phone to a face to face exchange of BTC for fiat, I found it quite bugging, that you couldnt tell how many confirmations have actually been done to your transaction. That way usability is largely reduced for daily exchanges and trades if both parties dont have time to wait for 6 confirms (like only a lunch break to spend), but dont want to jeopardize their money with 0-confirms either. A simple display of the number of confirms would alleviate such concerns a lot (maybe greyed out out or in advanced mode only,..)

To make it fool proof, you could also display the number of confirms with traffic lights (text displayed in brackets):

0 Confirm: Questionmark (unconfirmed, please wait)
1-2 Confs: Red light (1 confirmation save to spend if small amount of money) or (2 confirmations save to spend if small amount of money)
3-4 Confs: Yellow light (3 confirmations save to spend if medium amount of money) or (4 confirmations save to spend if medium amount of money)
5-6+ Confs: Green light (5 or more confirmations, Save to spend!)

Be my guest  Cheesy
legendary
WalletScrutiny.com
January 15, 2013, 03:03:53 PM
That's only an address watcher. Great if you don't want to import the private key on your phone I guess...
The comments say that the app doesnt show incoming transactions, only outgoing ones, which makes it pretty lacky in my eyes. Havent tried it yet, though.

That's what I use it for, but now I'm using the blockchain app which you can import a watch only address.
Nice feature. Unfortunately the playstore tells me that my htc Wildfire is not supported. I took a glimpse at it during my last Bitcoin tx in Argentina though. It looked a bid dull and didnt show how many confimations any given tx had (Bitcoin Spinner doesnt either though).
BitcoinSpinner does not show the number of confirmations as a number, but it displays transactions with less than 6 confirmations in grey, and unconfirmed transactions as "(unconfirmed)". Also, the front page shows "Coins on the way to you: XXX BTC" and "Coins you are sending: XXX BTC" if you have unconfirmed coins to/from your wallet.
My goal with BitcoinSpinner is not to make a tool for the tech savvy, but for average end users, so I try to distill the information into something more user friendly.

I understand that. But recently while taking my phone to a face to face exchange of BTC for fiat, I found it quite bugging, that you couldnt tell how many confirmations have actually been done to your transaction. That way usability is largely reduced for daily exchanges and trades if both parties dont have time to wait for 6 confirms (like only a lunch break to spend), but dont want to jeopardize their money with 0-confirms either. A simple display of the number of confirms would alleviate such concerns a lot (maybe greyed out out or in advanced mode only,..)

To make it fool proof, you could also display the number of confirms with traffic lights (text displayed in brackets):

1-2 Confs: Red light (1 confirmation save to spend if small amount of money) or (2 confirmations save to spend if small amount of money)
3-4 Confs: Yellow light (3 confirmations save to spend if medium amount of money) or (4 confirmations save to spend if medium amount of money)

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
January 15, 2013, 02:50:57 PM

vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
January 15, 2013, 08:10:26 AM
I use Bitcoinium widget everyday to monitor MtGox and Virtex exchange rate.
legendary
Activity: 965
January 15, 2013, 08:05:18 AM
Is anyone actually using those apps? I started a project for a simple phonegap app and looked for a collab, but it seems noone is interested in such kinda apps...  Sad
vip
January 15, 2013, 07:54:25 AM
Trading:
MtGox

Mt.Gox Mobile hasn't updated for over year now and constantly crashes on my Nexus4. I don't think this app qualifies for the "best" Android app...
My bad. I installed the app but did not really try it. Removed.
Jan
legendary
January 15, 2013, 04:21:20 AM

Activity: 225
Merit: 100
January 15, 2013, 03:42:20 AM
Trading:
MtGox

Mt.Gox Mobile hasn't updated for over year now and constantly crashes on my Nexus4. I don't think this app qualifies for the "best" Android app...
vip
January 14, 2013, 10:08:19 PM
I use Spinner and Bitcoin widget.

I can only warn you to not install all the bitcoin wallpapers and gadgets out there as it might be some scammer waiting for the exploit to part you from you android wallet balance. actually even the open source apps are not save as you would have to compile them yourself to know they are based on the reviewed code.

I trust Spinner to some degree and the widget I compiled myself not for security concerns but because I wanted to patch it.
I agree. I'm still reluctant to have any Bitcoin balance on my phone. You never know when a developer will push a rogue update.
legendary
WalletScrutiny.com
January 14, 2013, 10:06:12 PM
I use Spinner and Bitcoin widget.

I can only warn you to not install all the bitcoin wallpapers and gadgets out there as it might be some scammer waiting for the exploit to part you from you android wallet balance. actually even the open source apps are not save as you would have to compile them yourself to know they are based on the reviewed code.

I trust Spinner to some degree and the widget I compiled myself not for security concerns but because I wanted to patch it.
legendary
January 14, 2013, 06:52:33 PM

Activity: 150
Merit: 100
January 14, 2013, 12:52:39 AM

vip
January 13, 2013, 08:26:55 PM
legendary
January 13, 2013, 08:06:48 PM
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
January 13, 2013, 02:37:58 PM
Don't forget the new v1.1 version of SatoshiDICE for Android Tablet (not for phones)

SatoshiDICE Android App
  MD5: ff89d643b9b2c8ab2c539dbcd6e2c73d
 SHA1: 5fa09730ed612c48817f84c79758857f62441fc7

(mac/pc/linux app also available)

Installation instructions for Android: Download file, then enable Settings -> Security -> Unknown Sources. Then install a file browser (folks recommend Astro), find the .apk you downloaded and run it. Android should install directly from the file on the device.

legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1001
January 13, 2013, 01:40:47 PM
I like the android version of Electrum
Pages:
Jump to: