Pages:
Author

Topic: Best wallet for Android? - page 3. (Read 1425 times)

legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1703
Blackjack.fun
October 25, 2023, 03:05:31 PM
-snip-
While it is scary, users can avoid them as long as they are careful. Most malware distributions come from malicious apps, not to mention Google's security system is just terrible at filtering them. If you want to download a new app/wallet, verifying your app on the official website or distribution channel is a must these days.
User caution is the first protection before installing an app onto their device.
Certainly do not install applications obtained from the black market or third-party websites.

But even so, this Xenomorph malware acts as a trojan that hides in applications that look legitimate to use.
Therefore, Google Protect did not detect it because the attack used was relatively new.
But now Google Protect and several other antiviruses have made security improvements for the Xenomorph Malware type.

Also, pay attention to the permissions that will be requested by the application to be installed.
If the permissions ask for personal access such as SMS permissions, telephone, data access, camera, and other crucial access it is worth being suspicious.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 755
October 25, 2023, 02:44:31 PM
Are you describing the mobile version of Brave browser?
Right, the Android version of Brave browser.

Is the bug related to the Android app or the Android system itself?
Looks like the problem is the Android application, not on the Android system.

Or is your device infected with malware?
My device is not infected with malware because other important applications installed are not problematic and run normally.

I'm not sure how this bug is related to a wallet app though. While it is possible that a bug in the system makes multiple apps stop working, I've never experienced it myself on my Android phones.
I think my Android device has a problem when the application I mean bounce off to the main screen automatically.
In short, I tried to start the Android device again and nothing was different.
The solution is I un-installed and re-uploaded and there are no more obstacles during the browser.

As I explained in the post above that unexpected events can make a wallet installed on mobile can be hijacked even though sometimes it has nothing to do with the wallet application.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
October 17, 2023, 10:17:41 PM
One of the browsers that I often use for browsing the internet, including occasionally using it to go online in forums, suddenly didn't work well. This just happened to me who had to use a laptop to log into the forum. The message that was given when I used the browser was that the Brave application had a bug which resulted in me having to uninstall and reinstall it if I wanted to use it again.
Are you describing the mobile version of Brave browser? Is the bug related to the Android app or the Android system itself? Or is your device infected with malware? I'm not sure how this bug is related to a wallet app though. While it is possible that a bug in the system makes multiple apps stop working, I've never experienced it myself on my Android phones.

some malware attacks such as the Xenomorph malware that was introduced a few months ago are able to penetrate any security including stealing the 2FA or OTP code of a wallet or account, sniffing SMS, and stealing hacking bank applications, etc.
While it is scary, users can avoid them as long as they are careful. Most malware distributions come from malicious apps, not to mention Google's security system is just terrible at filtering them. If you want to download a new app/wallet, verifying your app on the official website or distribution channel is a must these days.
October 13, 2023, 04:49:33 PM
-snip-
No matter how great the Android version of the Bluewallet wallet is, don't dare use it as a wallet for storing large amounts of Bitcoin for security reasons.

I also suggested that. It could be that BlueWallet is still quite good as a wallet. However, the vulnerability of smartphones that are frequently connected to the internet can provide an opening for malware to enter, which has the potential to 'hijack' wallets.
Maybe the case I just experienced is a little unrelated to the discussion of wallet vulnerabilities that allow malware to enter so they can hijack wallets.

One of the browsers that I often use for browsing the internet, including occasionally using it to go online in forums, suddenly didn't work well. This just happened to me who had to use a laptop to log into the forum. The message that was given when I used the browser was that the Brave application had a bug which resulted in me having to uninstall and reinstall it if I wanted to use it again.

BlueWallet is indeed a good bitcoin wallet on Android and no problems have occurred to me so far. However, this will not provide complete guarantees for those who want to store Bitcoin for the long term and large amounts of assets considering that smartphones are very vulnerable compared to computers or laptops.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1703
Blackjack.fun
October 11, 2023, 06:57:54 PM
-snip-
No matter how great the Android version of the Bluewallet wallet is, don't dare use it as a wallet for storing large amounts of Bitcoin for security reasons.
I also suggested that. It could be that BlueWallet is still quite good as a wallet. However, the vulnerability of smartphones that are frequently connected to the internet can provide an opening for malware to enter, which has the potential to 'hijack' wallets.
It's not even just blue wallets that are vulnerable if the user's smartphone security is neglected and infected with malware.

some malware attacks such as the Xenomorph malware that was introduced a few months ago are able to penetrate any security including stealing the 2FA or OTP code of a wallet or account, sniffing SMS, and stealing hacking bank applications, etc.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61893757

Especially if it is only limited to wallet applications such as Blue Wallet and Electrum,
it can be done easily when the user's smartphone defenses are broken and invaded by malware.

legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 2852
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
October 11, 2023, 03:36:16 AM
Don't you think the table has to be edited in terms of recent Ledger move to include 'recover' utility into their 'Social Security/Shamir' item?

Do you mean Ledger Recover? If yes, as far as I know, the status of Ledger Recover is still 'Coming soon' (https://www.ledger.com/recover).

At the bottom of the link from https://support.airgap.it/airgap-vault/comparison-of-airgap-vault-with-other-hardware-wallets/, there is an 'Edit this page' button, and when I tried to open the link, the message appears: 'You need to fork this repository to propose changes'. In other words, anyone can propose changes to the table by forking the repository.

-snip-

September 28, 2023, 01:11:33 PM
[snip]

One feature that has proven useful on several occasions is BlueWallet's RBF (Replace-By-Fee) capability. I consider this a crucial feature for mobile wallets because we often need transactions to be processed quickly. By bumping the fee, it at least saves us transaction time in case of network congestion in the Bitcoin network.
Bluewallet is an almost perfect Bitcoin wallet android version based on my thoughts. There are many features available on the Bluewallet wallet, one of which is fee & transactions control.
We can read briefly about the fee & transactions control feature,

Provides you a fee estimation targeting confirmations in 10m, 3h or 1 day. With real time calculation on how much to spend. Ability to Bump and Cancel sent transactions with "Replace-by-fee" (RBF) or with "Child-pays-for-parent" (CPFP).

Multisig vault is another feature supported by Bluewallet. In release version v6.4.8, they fixed invalid cosigner when scanning cosigner during multisig vault setup.

Activity: 1358
Merit: 538
paper money is going away
September 04, 2023, 05:48:55 AM
Currently, for my everyday Android Bitcoin storage needs, I utilize BlueWallet. I never store a large BTC balance, so the basic features of BlueWallet suffice for the transactions I require. I find myself using BlueWallet more frequently as I interact with my smartphone every day.

As for my primary wallet for storing the majority of my balance, it's the PC version of Electrum. I occasionally check the safety of my balance, but it doesn't happen every day.

One feature that has proven useful on several occasions is BlueWallet's RBF (Replace-By-Fee) capability. I consider this a crucial feature for mobile wallets because we often need transactions to be processed quickly. By bumping the fee, it at least saves us transaction time in case of network congestion in the Bitcoin network.
Activity: 86
Merit: 1
July 29, 2023, 08:17:27 AM
I've come across many positive reviews about AirGap Vault. When installed on an Android smartphone, it transforms the device into a system with security comparable to dedicated hardware wallets. I personally haven't tried AirGap Vault since my holdings are stored on Passport 2, but if the features described below are accurate, then this wallet certainly deserves the attention of Android fans

Don't you think the table has to be edited in terms of recent Ledger move to include 'recover' utility into their 'Social Security/Shamir' item?
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
July 07, 2023, 05:45:46 PM
~snip~
I have experience with Airgap Vault it should be installed on a spare phone that doesn't have internet or never connect online and it pairs with the Airgap wallet where you can monitor your assets and make an unsigned transaction and generate a QR code it must be installed to an online device.

I do not have issues using their wallet and their open source code is updated but I never used it on Bitcoin yet(electrum is enough for me) except on ERC20 token and ETH and some mined coins before and I still have some assets remaining there. Until now my coins/tokens are still there and safe.

Since it supports most Coins BTC, ETH, etc... and tokens it is a good alternative for hardware wallets.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
July 07, 2023, 03:56:44 PM
I've come across many positive reviews about AirGap Vault. When installed on an Android smartphone, it transforms the device into a system with security comparable to dedicated hardware wallets. I personally haven't tried AirGap Vault since my holdings are stored on Passport 2, but if the features described below are accurate, then this wallet certainly deserves the attention of Android fans
AirGap is far from perfect but I think it is much better option than using most other mobile wallets, and it is possibly better than using some popular closed source wallets.

If you already have old Android device collecting dust than it's much better to use it only for AirGap, but there are some limitations and you can't use ancient Android 4 and 5 I think, this was tested by myself Wink

If you ask me what smartphone is best, than I would say old deg00gled Pixel phone (Maybe Pixel 3 or 4) with GrapheneOS, than install Airgap.
Activity: 714
Merit: 1298
Cashback 15%
July 06, 2023, 11:21:08 AM

Activity: 1120
Merit: 741
Rollbit - Crypto Futures
June 03, 2023, 12:25:41 AM
I agree with @BitMaxz that while we have security in a wallet like Electrum, then there is no desire to move to a new wallet.
Nunchuk requires an email and there is no way to make a wallet on this app without the email. So what's the point of collecting our email? Maybe because of their cloud service but it is still not safe to keep our private keys to any online storage.
Yes, that's the reality when trying to open and see how the Android version of Nunchuk wallet.
The features are good but they need email from every user who wants to use it and for me personally that's where the lack of drawbacks.

Oh yes, besides having to include an email to create an account, Wallet Nunchuk is also allowed to register/create account in a guest on Android.

I also check their PlayStore reviews most of the reviews look biased and fake the only real reviews there are those that give 1 star.
Correct. I also saw it.
Maybe because Nunchuk is still new as a wallet.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
June 02, 2023, 07:22:38 PM
I agree with @BitMaxz that while we have security in a wallet like Electrum, then there is no desire to move to a new wallet.
Nunchuk requires an email and there is no way to make a wallet on this app without the email. So what's the point of collecting our email? Maybe because of their cloud service but it is still not safe to keep our private keys to any online storage.

I also check their PlayStore reviews most of the reviews look biased and fake the only real reviews there are those that give 1 star.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1010
Only BTC
June 02, 2023, 05:54:50 PM
As far as I can see on social media, some people seem to like convenience and are willing to trade security for it.
Yes that is correct, if people can use centralized exchanges to store their BTC, surely they will make use of Ledger and their seed phrase recovery option, and also use wallets like Nunchuk that offer the option of cloud backup to store their seed phrase or keys; many people that lose their BTC do so because they chose convenience over security.
Sign in must be via email, in the wallet creation process, each user is required to enter an active email.
The nunchuk will send the password to the email that we registered for then change the password.
Signing up through email makes the process resemble that of a centralized service, why would i want to use a wallet that connects to my email and encourages people to use a wrong back up method, when i can easily run the electrum software and create a wallet easily without any of these.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 741
Rollbit - Crypto Futures
June 02, 2023, 04:34:31 AM
I completely agree with you.  and even if the topic is about the best wallet for bitcoin, I also would not argue that nunchuk is the optimal and best wallet. 
I have tried nunchuk wallet on android.
Sign in must be via email, in the wallet creation process, each user is required to enter an active email.
The nunchuk will send the password to the email that we registered for then change the password.

The seed generated in the process of creating a wallet in the nunchuk is 24 words.

I'm not comfortable if the process for making a wallet has to be like that and I dare not say that nunchuk wallets are good because they are still very new.

Activity: 322
Merit: 306
Farewell LEO o_e_l_e_o
June 02, 2023, 01:14:57 AM
  and even if the topic is about the best wallet for bitcoin, I also would not argue that nunchuk is the optimal and best wallet. 
A quick glance at this wallet I read pretty well that nunchuk is a walletbuilt by Bitcoiners in the true Bitcoin spirit, Nunchuk offers multisig wallets, inheritance planning, advanced coin control, scheduled transactions, emergency locking and many other features to secure bitcoins You are protected and can be passed on to future generations1.

1. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.nunchuk.android

If it was still under development, I wouldn't try.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
June 01, 2023, 09:10:21 PM
If the trend continues and more wallet services introduce and encourage cloud backup and risky recovery systems, then people who know the right way their seed phrase should be stored would not use such wallet, and it would no longer be recommend by the BTC community, this may even reduce the volume of customers for that service.
It makes me wonder if the developers are providing this option because some part of the market wants it, or is there another reason for that? At the very least they don't seem to force you to use cloud backup, and as long as the code is open the user can build/verify them on their own. A wallet that doesn't provide offline backup is definitely not gonna make it.

As far as I can see on social media, some people seem to like convenience and are willing to trade security for it. Not sure if the demand is really big or not. Kinda unfortunate that most of us seem to not learn from others' mistakes and wait until something bad happened before we practice better security measures.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1010
Only BTC
June 01, 2023, 08:18:37 AM
I am also annoyed by this latest news from Ledger. 
But I think that this trend in terms of recovery options will still continue.  and this is bad and violates the main advantage of bitcoin and cryptocurrencies.
If the trend continues and more wallet services introduce and encourage cloud backup and risky recovery systems, then people who know the right way their seed phrase should be stored would not use such wallet, and it would no longer be recommend by the BTC community, this may even reduce the volume of customers for that service. E.G Localbitcoins shut down because they moved from being a p2p exchange to a data farm, and after some years they didn't have enough customers to keep their business running.
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1206
May 31, 2023, 07:19:54 PM
Keep in mind that the Electrum wallet that is based on the app isn't good to use, some features on the PC version aren't applicable to the app and I think other people will prefer to use another mobile app than the Electrum.
But electrum PC version is also an app just like the mobile version. I don't know why you said electrum based on app isn't good to use. Maybe you are mixing up a few things. If I guessed right. You should be using a mobile app vs PC app comparison
It's bolded above and it's clear what I meant because we're talking a mobile app, however, apologize for your confusion.
It should be the desktop app and the mobile app so that readers understand it clearly because they aren't the same features and of course, when it comes to security.  I think I also used the wrong terminology, not a PC version.

Nunchuk is new to your ears and yet you go ahead to conclude how good it is as a multisig wallet? How did you know this if you never used the wallet before?
Based on the article that I dropped above, apologize, I forgot to include "might" in my post.
Pages:
Jump to: