Pages:
Author

Topic: Better efficiency coming to your S19 from Bitmain - page 3. (Read 853 times)

copper member
Activity: 76
Merit: 72
The standard power version on the new fw has a very small efficiency improvement over old fw.
111 Th at 3260 Watts (compared to 111Th at 3368 Watts on old fw) . Chip temps on new fw are a little bit cooler which might explain the 100watts power draw reduction compared to old fw.
New FW seems to be working the fans harder to keep the chips cooler.
Bitmain probably realized that there's a significant efficiency gain to be had from lower chip temps and implemented it in this version.
Activity: 562
Merit: 139
Temps dropped by a degree or two, but fan rpm dropped from ~3800 rpm to ~2800 rpm with new low-power firmware.
My wattage measurements are at the PDU, so quite accurate.

I did some rough calculations and the new low power mode is more profitable for power rate >$0.06/kwh

Was there any difference in performance / energy consumption when running the new firmware and not having the setting in low power mode?
copper member
Temps dropped by a degree or two, but fan rpm dropped from ~3800 rpm to ~2800 rpm with new low-power firmware.
My wattage measurements are at the PDU, so quite accurate.

I did some rough calculations and the new low power mode is more profitable for power rate >$0.06/kwh
Activity: 129
Merit: 16
The new firmware for S19 Pro has been released on bitmain's support website .
I installed it on one of our S19 Pro 110T miners. The new firmware has a low power mode and here are the results when compared with the old firmware.

So it does deliver the promised efficiency of 25.5 W/Th but drops the hashrate to about 90 Th.

could you comment on the fan rpm? or temps? any reduction?
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Well, also, important point to remember, that when you use 3rd party firmware, they are taking some % of your hash rate also.

So if you do such measurements above as altair_tech has done, you have to remove the % off your TH performance numbers,
since some at least don't do the fee mining all at the same time as pool mining, but rather take the fee mining away at various times.
I'm simply clarifying something said by philipma1957 about Braiins OS+. If anything, that pool comment has nothing to do with this and is not affecting anything whatsoever. But due to the permanent harassment and insults of certain individual and their fake accounts (which thankfully have been added to the ignore list) i decided to simply not comment anything about the pool to anyone anymore. If you have any pool related questions, go to the pool and open a ticket with whatever you want to ask about. I'm not going to convince you of anything since its neither a religion nor an advertisement. People in this forum know perfectly well what pool is good and why, and there is a whole section for that which isn't here.

@Artemis3 I think we can all agree that your firmware provides a significant advantage over OEM currently in regards to performance. I can see how you can and should boast to say hey, we did it first and even better. I get it. Not discounting your contribution.

There is never a need to convince anyone of anything, I agree fully. The intention of my post was not to insult you or anyone else. I was simply stating that by running the new oem firmware it may offer a similar advantage to non-oem firmware which in fact may cut into the financials of pools and companies like yours. Not personal only my assessment based on logic.

Look at it this way. Why would I or anyone else run other than OEM firmware if there is no financial advantage? Most wouldn't therefor my comment about pools and companies losing money after a release for their hardware to make it better like in this scenario is completely relevant.

I've seen the bashing posts and threads this wasn't meant to be one of them and apologies if that was the way you read it.

Not trying to disrespect you or anyone else here on this forum as I understand the significant efforts and strides you and many others have made for the good of the community.

I'm only looking at it from the business perspective and how I perceive the fiscal impact (good and bad) that may result from this new firmware release by Bitmain.
copper member
The new firmware for S19 Pro has been released on bitmain's support website .
I installed it on one of our S19 Pro 110T miners. The new firmware has a low power mode and here are the results when compared with the old firmware.

So it does deliver the promised efficiency of 25.5 W/Th but drops the hashrate to about 90 Th.

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
I'm simply clarifying something said by philipma1957 about Braiins OS+. If anything, that pool comment has nothing to do with this and is not affecting anything whatsoever. But due to the permanent harassment and insults of certain individual and their fake accounts (which thankfully have been added to the ignore list) i decided to simply not comment anything about the pool to anyone anymore. If you have any pool related questions, go to the pool and open a ticket with whatever you want to ask about. I'm not going to convince you of anything since its neither a religion nor an advertisement. People in this forum know perfectly well what pool is good and why, and there is a whole section for that which isn't here.
Lmfao just saw this thread an laughed at this so hard. Be careful he will sick his minions on you if you say mean words about him or his company. He banned me from telegram groups he moderated because he got antsy.

But yeah this firmware isn't new. We have had our hands on it for a good few months. Bitmain runs it on their hardware when they colo and price is higher. We go insiders but it wont effect me so I am not worried.

I'm not trying to throw stones here I'm just saying that this thread was specifically about what Bitmain had announced with their energy saving firmware. Will that mean lower hashrates???  Nobody really knows for 2 more days...

I for one do use their OEM firmware since my warranties depend on it. (Even though their support has been crummy) Once the warranties go then I may think about changing things up.

One would expect that they have been tuning their S19Pro miners in their own farms for months on end now. Why wouldn't they? I would for sure if a stable firmware that offered a benefit was to be released.

Personally I just really didn't care for the unwarranted advertising which to me was quite spammy! Also from the 4EH drop in hash rate in that "related" pool that is being reported today I would say that I might have hit the nail on the head with my assessment of monetary loss.
Activity: 801
Merit: 293
Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA
Proper tweak is exactly what the autotuning from Braiins OS+ does. If you were to do it manually, it would take you hundreds if not thousands of combinations. Braiins isn't claiming anything, that was an user report i got directly, i even added their screenshot and it was their claim of what was measured at the wall. I don't do what others do of throwing numbers just for looks. That user exists and you can talk with the person in the Braiins OS+ telegram group. Do note the chip temperature, it matters.

Come on now... Please stop peddling BraiinsOS on this thread.

I won't discount the validity of software that you wrote or had written but I'm pretty sure that this release of oem firmware is going to chop not only into your profit numbers but also your slush pool share.😆

Lmfao just saw this thread an laughed at this so hard. Be careful he will sick his minions on you if you say mean words about him or his company. He banned me from telegram groups he moderated because he got antsy.

But yeah this firmware isn't new. We have had our hands on it for a good few months. Bitmain runs it on their hardware when they colo and price is higher. We go insiders but it wont effect me so I am not worried.
Proper tweak is exactly what the autotuning from Braiins OS+ does. If you were to do it manually, it would take you hundreds if not thousands of combinations. Braiins isn't claiming anything, that was an user report i got directly, i even added their screenshot and it was their claim of what was measured at the wall. I don't do what others do of throwing numbers just for looks. That user exists and you can talk with the person in the Braiins OS+ telegram group. Do note the chip temperature, it matters.

Come on now... Please stop peddling BraiinsOS on this thread.

I won't discount the validity of software that you wrote or had written but I'm pretty sure that this release of oem firmware is going to chop not only into your profit numbers but also your slush pool share.😆
legendary
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
This is probably just an undervolting firmware that will run at lower hashrate but higher efficiency.

It is almost always under-voting.  But under-volting is tricky.

Depending on how it is done and the particular unit you have some units are spectacular at undervaluing.

Many years ago I had a s-7 it was a ridiculously good unit.

4th and 1000 watts with 0 errors a flawless machine.

In fact it would go 90 days without an error not 1.  If it did that the software would become confused and you had to reboot to set the counters.

the equivalent would be a 110th s19 pro doing 100th at 2400 watts endlessly with zero errors.

I have some L3+ units  that do full speed at 700 watts, normally at 800 watts you get 500 mhs

some of the L3+ do 500 mhs at 700 watts.

So the freq does not need dial down at all.

I suspect an s19 tweaked properly  could do 19 watts brains is claiming 20.5 I am sure there are 19 Watters around.

legendary
I wonder if this upgrade will block running other fw again... Someone did 20.9 J/T with Braiins OS+.

I would assume this is the case however it should help those of us that are still running oem firmware.

What I'm really curious about is.... How many of these are going to end up with bricked control boards after the update?

(I'm still down 3 at this point waiting on warranty parts. Meh..)

Of course, nothing new even for them when they used to call it Low Power or Enhanced Low power whatever. MicroBT has a Low mode as well.
My fear is that its good chance to lock out again others from the control board. I doubt it will brick them, just not allow other fw to run without some hardware modification or until someone figures a method to "jailbreak" it.
copper member
This is probably just an undervolting firmware that will run at lower hashrate but higher efficiency.
I wonder if this upgrade will block running other fw again... Someone did 20.9 J/T with Braiins OS+.

I would assume this is the case however it should help those of us that are still running oem firmware.

What I'm really curious about is.... How many of these are going to end up with bricked control boards after the update?

(I'm still down 3 at this point waiting on warranty parts. Meh..)
legendary
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
Wonder how many months they've been running tuned in their own farms.

Months how bout since nov 2021 say a year and some change.

much like the s9 had asic boost and a big increase in efficiency.

but a 100 th at 2950 vs a 100th at 2550 means 1 more s19 for every six i have.

we have 8 crappy pieces of old gear mining at 130th that should do 400th.

we will replace all of them in the next month

so 130th will go to 800th.

we will be near 3ph. by march 1

and maybe 4ph by years end.

at 25 watts a th the room maxes at 8ph.  but we need to push cooling ideas.
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Wonder how many months they've been running tuned in their own farms.
So we wait til dec 20th correct?

this means for every 7 you own you can add a new one.

is there a link that bitmain did on Facebook or tik tok

ahh it is on Facebook

Yep now we wait. But if this is true then this would allow me to expand a bit further! Smiley

I'm still down 3 x S19APro's @ 110TH with control boards on all 3 on the blink... Hope this new firmware sorts that out too!!  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: