Pages:
Author

Topic: Beware, MtGox arbitrarily freezing verified accounts - page 3. (Read 40385 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
[EDIT]Oh and not, this is not "arbitrarily" at all, havind different account with one not being verified sharing the same IP will trigger such verification. This is simply a basic security feature.
I think a few moments reflection will show that freezing a verified account because an unverified account connected from the same IP address is a massive security fail. In my fantasy world where you always do the right thing, you'll audit all your security practices once you realize that you let one this boneheaded slip through.
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
If anything it is the unverified account that should be made to verify. Accounts that are already verified should not be frozen just because the same IP address is used by another account.

Having said that, using the IP address as a sole criteria for this trigger is pretty stupid. I hope MtGox is using other criteria as well, such as type of IP address (residental, corporate) as well as browser/OS finger printing.
legendary
Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001
Many offices/households share an IP and quite a few even share a particular machine for browsing.
I can see this being a major pain when I  get colleagues/families more interested in this thing.
I even know of entire companies that share one IP for several thousand employees. At the same time it's pretty easy to avoid using that IP if you want to, so this security feature will probably only stop the people that are doing nothing wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
I suspect the only reason that this 'security feature' is even remotely practical at the moment is the sheer isolation of most bitcoin users.

Many offices/households share an IP and quite a few even share a particular machine for browsing.
I can see this being a major pain when I  get colleagues/family more interested in this thing.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
[EDIT]Oh and not, this is not "arbitrarily" at all, havind different account with one not being verified sharing the same IP will trigger such verification. This is simply a basic security feature.
Does that mean I'll have to get through this each time someone in my office building creates a mtgox account? That sounds like a really useful security feature :|

What is definitely is arbitrary is the bullying. Just because you can freeze my account doesn't mean it's ok to do so as an answer to everything that can happen. Especially when the account is verified, and is protected by a yubikey that you sent to my home address.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
so if two different accounts are accessed via the same IP, it is a reason to freeze them?  Undecided

I haven't had issues with a different person in my house also using MtGox on the same IP. He hasn't even had to verify his identity with them to trade, while I have had to. Our accounts were registered on different IP's, though.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
So here's what happened :
 - was minding my own business, playing around MtGox's API's
 - tried to withdraw some USD as an MtGox code,
 - failed and got answer "Your account is pending verification"

So apparently it's because Paymium and I both have MtGox accounts, and we're connecting from the same IP (wow, surprise surprise)

So because of that my account is now frozen and I'm required to get "verified" (even though they do have a scan of my passport and they do have a proof of address in the form of a Yubikey sent to my home)

And apparently MT has too much on his plate to even acknowledge an IRC message.

So beware, MtGox won't hesitate to arbitrarily prevent you from accessing your very own money, and a verified account won't help.

Thank you for your email. Please let us know if hold more that one account with Mt.Gox and our AML team have requested to verify your account as your IP is using more that one account. To get your account verified you will have to submit your photo ID and proof of residence. I have attached a list of documents that can be submitted and link to upload. Once uploaded please let us know so we can keep you updated on the verification process.

As per our new AML policy please provide us any one of both Photo ID and proof of Residence.
You already have those my friend.

If they have been done before september 2011, we have had the new aml system in place and you will have to upload your documents to verify them again.Please provide us any one of both Photo ID and Residence
If you migrate your system it is your responsibility to migrate customer data. Freezing accounts until people re-upload what they already have is not a professional way of doing things.

I'm quite pissed-off right now. Just because you guys hold my money doesn't mean you get to freeze it at will.

Hi

Sorry to hear about your problem and while I cannot comment on it at this time we will check this matter and hope to get a solution to your problem one way or another.

Regards
legendary
1davout
I think the customer service itself is ok they're nice and, in my experience, quite responsive.

It's the rule that's being applied that just doesn't make any sense.

Let's even say it's ok to auto-freeze accounts when you detect that the same IP connects to them. In this case the support should simply unlock the accounts when they get the full story : "Oh, you actually have accesses to multiple legitimately verified accounts from the same IP, one is the corporate account, the one is your personal one ? I understand, I'll unlock them for you right now. Have a beautiful day fine sir!"

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Bitbuy
Mtgox costumer service at it's finest Roll Eyes
Activity: 188
Merit: 100
so if two different accounts are accessed via the same IP, it is a reason to freeze them?  Undecided
legendary
1davout
So here's what happened :
 - was minding my own business, playing around MtGox's API's
 - tried to withdraw some USD as an MtGox code,
 - failed and got answer "Your account is pending verification"

So apparently it's because Paymium and I both have MtGox accounts, and we're connecting from the same IP (wow, surprise surprise)

So because of that my account is now frozen and I'm required to get "verified" (even though they do have a scan of my passport and they do have a proof of address in the form of a Yubikey sent to my home)

And apparently MT has too much on his plate to even acknowledge an IRC message.

So beware, MtGox won't hesitate to arbitrarily prevent you from accessing your very own money, and a verified account won't help.

Thank you for your email. Please let us know if hold more that one account with Mt.Gox and our AML team have requested to verify your account as your IP is using more that one account. To get your account verified you will have to submit your photo ID and proof of residence. I have attached a list of documents that can be submitted and link to upload. Once uploaded please let us know so we can keep you updated on the verification process.

As per our new AML policy please provide us any one of both Photo ID and proof of Residence.
You already have those my friend.

If they have been done before september 2011, we have had the new aml system in place and you will have to upload your documents to verify them again.Please provide us any one of both Photo ID and Residence
If you migrate your system it is your responsibility to migrate customer data. Freezing accounts until people re-upload what they already have is not a professional way of doing things.

I'm quite pissed-off right now. Just because you guys hold my money doesn't mean you get to freeze it at will.
Pages:
Jump to: