Pages:
Author

Topic: Beware of LocalBitcoins.com - page 4. (Read 14856 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
June 29, 2014, 03:15:04 AM
i just don't like the interface, and stay away from online transfers anyway. i do use LBC for craigslist-type deals, for cash only. i don't like the idea of using them for escrow, and i certainly don't want to pay them for it.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
June 29, 2014, 02:33:25 AM
I personally would only use localbitcoin if I met the person in a busy place. I don't trust anyone (meaning web sites or exchanges) with bitcoins. Also, you have to remember that the Govt has its eye on local bitcoin. IF you buy from the wrong person, they will get you for money laundering, although i think they are just using localbitcoin to try to reel in the bigger fish.
All untrue.
The government has charged multiple people with violating money laundering charges when they were trading on local bitcoin for large amounts and received high premiums
Do you have any proof for this?  Links?

The only stories I have ever read involved police arresting someone for selling bitcoins after the undercover officers told the seller many times that they were going to use the BTC for illegal purposes.  I have never seen a story of anyone being charged for money laundering directly.

So unless you have credible links you are just repeating rumors and spreading FUD.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
June 28, 2014, 10:06:24 PM
I personally would only use localbitcoin if I met the person in a busy place. I don't trust anyone (meaning web sites or exchanges) with bitcoins. Also, you have to remember that the Govt has its eye on local bitcoin. IF you buy from the wrong person, they will get you for money laundering, although i think they are just using localbitcoin to try to reel in the bigger fish.
All untrue.
The government has charged multiple people with violating money laundering charges when they were trading on local bitcoin for large amounts and received high premiums
legendary
June 28, 2014, 02:59:53 PM
All untrue.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
June 28, 2014, 01:28:54 PM
Activity: 448
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
June 28, 2014, 01:24:09 PM
Wow thanks for the heads up man. I have used that exchange couple of times but i didn't know the buyer can cancel the trade and seller can't thats not good. I'll sure think again dealing in future there.

Where did u get this part that says a Seller cant cancel a trade ?
If the seller has set it up for full escrow then the seller cannot cancel the trade.  This feature is used when the people are not going to meet face to face (bank transfers, WU, PayPal, etc.).  I always meet face to face for cash so I do not use the full escrow service.  Instead I simply fund the transaction to show that I have the BTC ready for the buyer, we meet, they give me the cash, I count it, then I release the BTC to them.  Simple.  If they don't show I just cancel the transaction and my BTC are released back to me.

If you use the site correctly there are no issues.  It is a great site.  Use it all the time.  Never had any issues at all.
When you do this then the buyer is the one taking the risk as if the seller was going to scam then he could just take the cash, put it in his pocket and walk away.
Activity: 806
June 28, 2014, 04:30:04 AM
Wow thanks for the heads up man. I have used that exchange couple of times but i didn't know the buyer can cancel the trade and seller can't thats not good. I'll sure think again dealing in future there.

Use it sometime you will know.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071
June 28, 2014, 02:06:31 AM
I doubt it is that easy to just fraud your way through localbitcoins... someone would be able to tell between fraudulent ratings and real ones. I'm sure admins would also be able to monitor the ratings and how quick they get them after they open an account

Well, the site does have a lot of users, so it's not exactly easy to monitor ratings just like that; some kind of automated system must certainly be in place. And how quickly you gain feedback isn't exactly a very good indicator for such a system, as you're likely going to get a lot of false positives, and miss out on the more cautious scammers.

On the other hand, if the only ratings a user has are from other relatively new accounts and for low amounts of btc, then perhaps you should be cautious when dealing with them. And in the case the feedback is coming from older, more established accounts, then I assume an automated system could catch them, by linking them to all the accounts used for scamming.
Activity: 350
June 28, 2014, 01:23:54 AM
I doubt it is that easy to just fraud your way through localbitcoins... someone would be able to tell between fraudulent ratings and real ones. I'm sure admins would also be able to monitor the ratings and how quick they get them after they open an account
legendary
June 27, 2014, 08:30:14 PM

The #1 Problem with their site is the Escrow service - localbitcoins.com requires sellers of BTC to put their coins in Escrow - this is a huge F#&K%!G MISTAKE.

This is not true.  You are not required to put your coins in escrow.  The seller might choose to put the coins in escrow because the buyer might request that, or because the buyers might feel more comfortable but for in person cash face to face transactions simply funding the transaction without turning on the escrow function works just fine.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Earn Mined-Sized BTC Through CoinPiler.com
June 27, 2014, 07:44:53 PM

The #1 Problem with their site is the Escrow service - localbitcoins.com requires sellers of BTC to put their coins in Escrow - this is a huge F#&K%!G MISTAKE.

So you want to say the whole localbitcoins things are fake where every day hundreds of successful transaction performing..!?
legendary
June 27, 2014, 06:14:48 PM

If the seller has set it up for full escrow then the seller cannot cancel the trade.  This feature is used when the people are not going to meet face to face (bank transfers, WU, PayPal, etc.).  I always meet face to face for cash so I do not use the full escrow service.  Instead I simply fund the transaction to show that I have the BTC ready for the buyer, we meet, they give me the cash, I count it, then I release the BTC to them.  Simple.  If they don't show I just cancel the transaction and my BTC are released back to me.

If you use the site correctly there are no issues.  It is a great site.  Use it all the time.  Never had any issues at all.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204
The revolution will be digital
June 27, 2014, 05:58:53 PM

Activity: 266
June 21, 2014, 02:37:01 PM
I don't understand why people don't just buy from trusted exchanges instead of going to the trouble to meet someone IRL with not only a chance of getting scammed but paying a lot more for the BTC then they're worth (at time of purchase).

If you deal with a "trusted" exchanged you still have the possibility of getting "GOXed"
Activity: 448
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
June 15, 2014, 07:09:35 PM
I don't understand why people don't just buy from trusted exchanges instead of going to the trouble to meet someone IRL with not only a chance of getting scammed but paying a lot more for the BTC then they're worth (at time of purchase).

People want to make trades in an uncentralized fashion
Activity: 806
June 14, 2014, 09:08:38 AM
Activity: 378
June 14, 2014, 08:55:39 AM
Activity: 266
June 13, 2014, 07:37:26 PM
wtf!??!!? Are you absolutely SURE there are undercover police trying to nab people simply for buying BTC?

I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt it.....  Huh Huh Huh

I think it is actually police nabbing people for selling it without following AML/KYC laws.

There is a case in FL where some guy was selling BTC at a massive markup and the UC told him that he was going to use the BTC for very illigal purposes. They arrested him on a bunch of charges, all related to selling BTC.
Activity: 252
June 13, 2014, 05:00:19 PM
Even if the trade is ok, you might end with fake cash.

Although I was using LB before, but now, I stuck with trustworthy exchangers.
If it is a large transaction then I just have them meet me at my bank, I have the bank teller count and check the money, release the BTC, then usually deposit some and keep the rest.  For smaller transactions I test any bills that feel "funny" to me with a special marker.

Easy solutions to the "fake money issue", which it turns out is not a real concern after all.

May you elaborate more about this

"For smaller transactions I test any bills that feel "funny" to me with a special marker."
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
June 13, 2014, 04:41:20 PM
This doesn't sound like a real world story to me. I really feel like most stuff in the op are just hyperboles. I trade there frequently and I haven't experienced any of the problems portrayed there.
Pages:
Jump to: