Pages:
Author

Topic: Beware of using Slack in ICO campaigns! - page 2. (Read 1298 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 501
September 19, 2017, 07:40:52 AM
This isn't just slack, I have had a few instances of this occurring in telegram channels, and its become a pain in the ass to ban these scammers and also delete their messages.

Telegram does protect against this though.

They basically misspell a letter in myetherwallet.com in order to steal the private keys of an individual, for example, someone would replace e with a c, making myethcrwallet.com
I am not sure about other site. I often received spam from slack authoreon that contains security issues with mew. In fact it is phising site that they want to steal your eth and token in your wallet. Never click the link and better to stop the subscribe mail in your email service.
Activity: 476
Merit: 101
We make a game with real cryptoeconomy
September 19, 2017, 06:39:05 AM
Those using slack are in a large volnurability pitfall.

This was a sample from a scammer i received today:

Hi John,
You have a new direct message from the BlackmoonCrypto workspace (blackmooncrypto.slack.com).

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding!
The ICO Security team

---

I get these every day, and am only registered in one Slack channel.

I think it is better to hide the link in your message! Otherwise someone can occasionally click it!
Activity: 224
trade.io - Join the Trading Revolution
September 19, 2017, 06:20:47 AM
Those using slack are in a large volnurability pitfall.

This was a sample from a scammer i received today:

Hi John,
You have a new direct message from the BlackmoonCrypto workspace (blackmooncrypto.slack.com).

@kukurigu77 View in the archives

Carol P. Janes 8:17 AM, September 19th
**Important Notification from the ICO Security team**

Please be advised that we had some problems with the Ethereum based Token smart contracts.
We decided that the best way to solve the problem is to fork the Smart Contracts.

It was a simple process and everything worked out without issues.
We implemented a seamless procedure to update the smart contract using an automatic process through MyEtherWallet services.

Please visit https://myetherwalletsignin.com/#view-wallet-info to unlock your wallet and follow the instructions on their website.

Failure to do so may result in loss of your tokens.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding!
The ICO Security team

---

I get these every day, and am only registered in one Slack channel.
Merit: 100
September 19, 2017, 05:16:15 AM
Thanks for the information. Can the owner of slack messaging software take it down since slack is already compromised.This will help to forestall further compromising other people ether wallets.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
September 19, 2017, 04:32:57 AM

Well, what's the purpose of asking members from bitcointalk to third party apps like slack and telegram is something I cannot figure out. Have seen a lot of ICO asking to join their channel, but what prevents them from corresponding with participants in this forum itself, which would have been more transparent?

Different channels have different purposes. The forum is good, but to be honest it is quite old school. People outside bitcointalk will not join it for an ICO.
Sure sign crypto wants to expand above it's current reach.

There is a lot of Twitter activity surrounding crypto - just that medium is strange. Limited single purpose, unsuited for any dialogues more along a constant stream of announcements. Google Wave survived, now maintained by the Apache Software Foundation. Porting the old forum data onto something new could prove to be next to impossible. Wave would be pretty much up to date.
We make a game with real cryptoeconomy
September 18, 2017, 11:15:56 PM

Well, what's the purpose of asking members from bitcointalk to third party apps like slack and telegram is something I cannot figure out. Have seen a lot of ICO asking to join their channel, but what prevents them from corresponding with participants in this forum itself, which would have been more transparent?

Different channels have different purposes. The forum is good, but to be honest it is quite old school. People outside bitcointalk will not join it for an ICO.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
September 18, 2017, 10:43:07 PM
We faced a problem with our Lordmancer II Slack channel. There were many scam messages every day: in private, in general channels, etc. We constantly banned those spammers, but they just registered once again (even the names were the same!). Also each day we saw new members with names like "CEO", "cofounder", etc.

Finally we dicided to close the Slack channel. Now we use Telegram group https://t.me/lm2ico as a main communication channel.

I strongly recommend not to use Slack for ICO campaigns!

Telegram is much better imo.
Activity: 434
Merit: 102
September 18, 2017, 09:11:44 PM
To be honest I've always had problems since day one of using Slack, Telegram it's 1000 times better. Plus, if you let Slack to do it, they'll spam the hell out of you  Angry Angry
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
September 18, 2017, 08:08:04 PM
Yes slack is not safe
Activity: 350
September 18, 2017, 08:05:05 PM
im just a beginner so i im not totally encounter how to use slack. to all bitcoin users, beware in joining in slacks campaign. good luck to everyone.
Activity: 1151
Merit: 260
☆Gaget-Pack☆
September 18, 2017, 08:02:28 PM
We faced a problem with our Lordmancer II Slack channel. There were many scam messages every day: in private, in general channels, etc. We constantly banned those spammers, but they just registered once again (even the names were the same!). Also each day we saw new members with names like "CEO", "cofounder", etc.

Finally we dicided to close the Slack channel. Now we use Telegram group https://t.me/lm2ico as a main communication channel.

ICO based slack channels run rampant with phishing scams, mostly disguised as the slackbot itself. If you happen to receive a private message regarding your myetherwallet, don't bother clicking the link, because most phishing scams rely on social engineering, in order to work. That means, you end up providing the hacker all the information they need, by doing so voluntary,  but often unknowingly, due to the nature of the scheme.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
September 18, 2017, 07:01:56 PM

He tried to convince me that the ETH contract had some error and if I had already contributed, I will have to check it manually on www.NearlyMyETHERWalletButWithSpellingError.NoTLDecauseSomeWouldClickIt (the spellingerror on the original domain was hard to find and the phising site looked quite real.)

I'm very aware of the issues surrounding IDN https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name for faking urls that at first glance are looking valid enough to click them.
If there isn't some drive by attack awaiting one, it's at best social engineering that even the most hardened browser could fall for, since the source of trouble is located in front of the screen :-( ETH contract errors are somehow in between the range of believeable.

(BTW the [ANN] Lordmancer II in your signature uses https://vk.cc/6XpEWc what's the reason? This is a thread inside this forum? I assume that referal is used for counting clicks but when my mouse hoovered above I hesitated *just* because of thoughts ^^^ above.)

Merit: 250
September 18, 2017, 06:56:41 PM
There is a thread on here about a guy who thought he was getting some help setting up a pivx masternode.
Someone had him dump his private key and send it in pm (ok dumb yeah..but still).
Scammers lurking everywhere nowadays.
Activity: 719
September 18, 2017, 06:46:19 PM
Everyday there are many messages pop up that Eth had some error or providing link to open. Newbies are kinda be a victim on these phishing websites. So all must beware of these issues that always popup on slack. Scammers are everywhere indeed.
Activity: 2268
Merit: 507
September 18, 2017, 06:44:53 PM

That's why there some teams already migrated their public chat to the investors into the discord which already exploited by these scammers. I mean there is no bug like what was already happened in the slack channel and it seems to be a goot place to start another channel in the discord.
Activity: 280
September 18, 2017, 06:42:18 PM
Slack is badd !!
hackers sending phishing emails thru slack groups
&
you can use whatever nickname you choose
i really hope everyone move from slack to telegram
good decision
Activity: 224
trade.io - Join the Trading Revolution
September 18, 2017, 06:37:38 PM
Slack ia for noobs at this current stage. You just can set boundaries. I got into two slacks of two ICOs and I saw the issue just hours later.

Spammers trying constantly to steal from me with messages to my inbox.

Activity: 252
September 18, 2017, 05:38:18 PM
Slack was indeed not designed for this purpose and it almost become a norm to expect scam and phishing through slack channel. I just hope either Slack can improve the security or we will have to use an alternative.
Activity: 294
September 18, 2017, 05:26:16 PM
Discord is also a good app, slack is full of scammers now
Activity: 308
September 18, 2017, 04:29:34 PM

Pages:
Jump to: