Pages:
Author

Topic: Beware of using Slack in ICO campaigns! - page 3. (Read 1298 times)

Activity: 1190
Merit: 504
September 18, 2017, 04:17:26 PM
This isn't just slack, I have had a few instances of this occurring in telegram channels, and its become a pain in the ass to ban these scammers and also delete their messages.

Telegram does protect against this though.

They basically misspell a letter in myetherwallet.com in order to steal the private keys of an individual, for example, someone would replace e with a c, making myethcrwallet.com
I have seen a post like that in social media that gives awareness to the ICO investors, these people are really everywhere. If there's money, they'll hop in to that project and will do anything what it takes to get a fast and stolen money. I've seen something like myetheriwallet.com looks the real ones if you don't real the whole URL.

Activity: 2926
Merit: 722
CoinPoker.com
September 18, 2017, 10:23:35 AM
This isn't just slack, I have had a few instances of this occurring in telegram channels, and its become a pain in the ass to ban these scammers and also delete their messages.

They basically misspell a letter in myetherwallet.com in order to steal the private keys of an individual, for example, someone would replace e with a c, making myethcrwallet.com

Correct! They did the same. Also they sent private messages saying that ICO had started and asked to send ETH to their address.
If people are newbie enough then they would really deposit the ETH on those address believing that those are the exact ETH addresses on the said ICO which is really a frustrating thing.This is why we should really be aware on clicking links and check every letter if they are right and theres nothing being added just to fool people.If you are aware on this stuffs then you can really avoid this scam attempt.
Activity: 476
Merit: 101
We make a game with real cryptoeconomy
September 18, 2017, 08:10:39 AM

Correct! They did the same. Also they sent private messages saying that ICO had started and asked to send ETH to their address.
Activity: 1218
Merit: 683
Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big
September 18, 2017, 07:58:07 AM

Activity: 2534
Merit: 332
September 18, 2017, 07:42:11 AM
We faced a problem with our Lordmancer II Slack channel. There were many scam messages every day: in private, in general channels, etc. We constantly banned those spammers, but they just registered once again (even the names were the same!). Also each day we saw new members with names like "CEO", "cofounder", etc.

Finally we dicided to close the Slack channel. Now we use Telegram group https://t.me/lm2ico as a main communication channel.

I strongly recommend not to use Slack for ICO campaigns!
This issue have been known already on where there are lots of scammers who do spread phishing links on that chat medium on which newbie investors do easily fall out on the trap which they do logged-in on those link which are actually phishing links just to get the private keys of the wallet.Using Slack nowadays would really be dangerous on both investors and the project owner.There are lots of alternative though.
September 18, 2017, 04:59:47 AM
I don´t know what problems you have faced exactly, but not long ago I was contacted in an ICO slack group by an other member, with an fake message.
He tried to convince me that the ETH contract had some error and if I had already contributed, I will have to check it manually on www.NearlyMyETHERWalletButWithSpellingError.NoTLDecauseSomeWouldClickIt (the spellingerror on the original domain was hard to find and the phising site looked quite real.)

You mentioned now you use telegram, I don´t see the advantage of telegram over slack ? (but I have to admit I only faced problems throught slack too)

There was a lot of different messages. The least dangerous were about other ICOs. The most dangerous said that Lordmancer II ICO was open and contained a ETH address, some others had links to phishing sites.

Telegram is much defended against such messages. If someone are trying to send personal messages by using Telegram, each recipient can flag the message and the account will be banned automatically.
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
physics, mathematics and engineering
September 18, 2017, 04:18:47 AM
I don´t know what problems you have faced exactly, but not long ago I was contacted in an ICO slack group by an other member, with an fake message.
He tried to convince me that the ETH contract had some error and if I had already contributed, I will have to check it manually on www.NearlyMyETHERWalletButWithSpellingError.NoTLDecauseSomeWouldClickIt (the spellingerror on the original domain was hard to find and the phising site looked quite real.)

You mentioned now you use telegram, I don´t see the advantage of telegram over slack ? (but I have to admit I only faced problems throught slack too)
September 18, 2017, 03:15:40 AM
We faced a problem with our Lordmancer II Slack channel. There were many scam messages every day: in private, in general channels, etc. We constantly banned those spammers, but they just registered once again (even the names were the same!). Also each day we saw new members with names like "CEO", "cofounder", etc.

Finally we dicided to close the Slack channel. Now we use Telegram group https://t.me/lm2ico as a main communication channel.

I strongly recommend not to use Slack for ICO campaigns!
Pages:
Jump to: