Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL BitForce SC Firmware source code - page 4. (Read 28001 times)

Activity: 854
Merit: 500
June 20, 2013, 10:30:02 AM
For that upgrade, you are really paying for three things, the different firmware, chips that are known to be capable of 7Gh/sec between them and factory lifetime warranty on those. Plus if you have an early order, at the present point in time, if you're just a few days messing around with it trying to achieve the extra 2Gh/sec, you will have lost the purchase price in lost earnings.

There will of course be customers boasting long and loud about how they are a genius and how they got theirs to 8 or even 9GH/sec "for free", but these will be the lottery winners, the lottery losers will be a somewhat silent majority, well they'll be there if you look, but won't be in your face, leading to a false perception. Though expect at least one example of in your face nerd rage from someone who lets the magic smoke out their jally by over-optimistic under-skilled hackery and is then surprised and outraged when BFL refuses to warranty it.

^^^^ Speaking the truth!!!
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
June 20, 2013, 10:28:12 AM
Did anybody figure out what is magic booster that cost 100$ and increase speed from 5,5 to 7. Can this be done at home or do I need to pay 100$?

There is nothing about it, the upgrade is a combination of higher chip quality (Class A chips w 16 engines) and firmware upgrade.
June 20, 2013, 10:26:13 AM
Awesome! Luke, you need any pizza deliveries, you let us know, OK?  Grin
I doubt LJR has 10,000BTC just lying around. Wink

Maybe not "laying around" but I wouldn't be surprised if Luke has 10k or more BTc
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
June 20, 2013, 10:09:27 AM
I just received my Jalapeno. Its hashing at 5.1 mhash and stays around 43 degrees with 25 degrees environment.

Is there any way to know which firmware mine has without purchasing a JTAG adapter?
in cgminer:
java API stats | egrep '\[Firm| BA' oops that's the next version Tongue
java API stats | egrep '\[GetIn| BA'

[GetInfo] is the full dump of the GetInfo reply from the BFL ASIC

Being a Jalapeno it will most likely be 1.0.0
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
June 20, 2013, 09:56:26 AM
I just received my Jalapeno. Its hashing at 5.1 mhash and stays around 43 degrees with 25 degrees environment.

Is there any way to know which firmware mine has without purchasing a JTAG adapter?
Activity: 518
Hodl!
June 20, 2013, 08:02:52 AM
For that upgrade, you are really paying for three things, the different firmware, chips that are known to be capable of 7Gh/sec between them and factory lifetime warranty on those. Plus if you have an early order, at the present point in time, if you're just a few days messing around with it trying to achieve the extra 2Gh/sec, you will have lost the purchase price in lost earnings.

There will of course be customers boasting long and loud about how they are a genius and how they got theirs to 8 or even 9GH/sec "for free", but these will be the lottery winners, the lottery losers will be a somewhat silent majority, well they'll be there if you look, but won't be in your face, leading to a false perception. Though expect at least one example of in your face nerd rage from someone who lets the magic smoke out their jally by over-optimistic under-skilled hackery and is then surprised and outraged when BFL refuses to warranty it.
Activity: 700
June 19, 2013, 06:54:10 PM
Did anybody figure out what is magic booster that cost 100$ and increase speed from 5,5 to 7. Can this be done at home or do I need to pay 100$?

I doubt that only a modified firmware will suffice.

Late edit: Wrong, apparently in most cases, it does.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
June 19, 2013, 06:51:15 PM
Activity: 518
Hodl!
June 18, 2013, 10:44:30 PM
Within an ASIC, this would manifest as increased die area or power consumption. But I have no experience with ASIC design, so for all my ignorance it could be an insignificant 0.0001% increase or an embarassing 10% increase.
My gut isn't all that ASIC experienced, but FWIW it says fairly insignificant, few tens of extra gates for the few millions total.... I'd put a range of 0.01% to 0.001% on it.
Activity: 84
June 18, 2013, 08:48:36 PM
"Interleaved works, but chips have a problem; proceeding with one-job-per-chip from this point"

https://github.com/luke-jr/BitForce_SC/commit/26984f0a5aeae68e0d164dc38934385f474c8d4f
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
June 18, 2013, 08:11:29 PM
BTW, if anyone wants to hack at something... I'd suggest going back in the git history to get at the interleaved works (or maybe it's still in the latest code too, just disabled?) before the change to one-job-per-chip. If you get that working, Little Singles and better should be fine on p2pool... (and lower stales mining normally too)
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Activity: 78
Chris Chua
June 17, 2013, 10:09:56 PM
What do you think could be added to the block header?

Could you also explain what the effect of the chips being less-than-optimal.
I personally don't think anything will be added to the block header within 5 years, since that would have the effect of making lots of existing ASICs useless. Also, if anyone wants to "add" some extra data to a block, they can already do this (in a way that's compatible with all existing miners) by using the coinbase.

What I mean by less-than-optimal is that since the SHA-256 constants are not hardcoded, some logic can't be optimised out at compile time. Within an ASIC, this would manifest as increased die area or power consumption. But I have no experience with ASIC design, so for all my ignorance it could be an insignificant 0.0001% increase or an embarassing 10% increase.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
aka 7Strykes
June 17, 2013, 12:05:09 PM
From reading the firmware source and looking at the released datasheet, the BFL chips interestingly do not have certain SHA-256 constants hardwired. The firmware is responsible for setting the SHA-256 initial hash value for the first hash, as well as the padding and length of both the first and second hashes.

What this means is that (for example) if an extra field were to be appended to the block header, the BFL chips could handle this change (via. a firmware upgrade), but the Avalon chips couldn't. This also means that the BFL chips are slightly less-than-optimal (I have no idea how much less than optimal), since some extra gates will be required to handle the possibility that those "constants" can change.

What do you think could be added to the block header?

Could you also explain what the effect of the chips being less-than-optimal.
Activity: 78
Chris Chua
June 17, 2013, 08:41:22 AM
From reading the firmware source and looking at the released datasheet, the BFL chips interestingly do not have certain SHA-256 constants hardwired. The firmware is responsible for setting the SHA-256 initial hash value for the first hash, as well as the padding and length of both the first and second hashes.

What this means is that (for example) if an extra field were to be appended to the block header, the BFL chips could handle this change (via. a firmware upgrade), but the Avalon chips couldn't. This also means that the BFL chips are slightly less-than-optimal (I have no idea how much less than optimal), since some extra gates will be required to handle the possibility that those "constants" can change.
KS
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
June 17, 2013, 04:55:13 AM
Awesome! Luke, you need any pizza deliveries, you let us know, OK?  Grin

Those pizzas were quoted at 10Million BTC by a Google translated article in Russian. Ouch Grin

http://www.kommersant.ru/doc/2213241

The path to the real world

Since the beginning of the year there are more messages that consumers often prefer to use a virtual currency, paying them for goods and services. The first known case of acquisition of goods for Bitcoins is buying pizza by one of the official forum - he paid 10 million Bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
June 17, 2013, 01:20:49 AM
Awesome! Luke, you need any pizza deliveries, you let us know, OK?  Grin
erk
Activity: 826
June 17, 2013, 01:18:16 AM
Does it matter what kind of JTAG programmer I get? Interested in overclocking my little single board.

Also, has anyone looked at the PCB designs? Is it possible to purchase BFL chips and manually add them to a Little Single board and up its chip count from 8 to 16?
How are you going to melt the solder?

Hot air reflow? Hot plate? Infrared reflow? Lots of ways to get it done...

So you want to unsolder all the components at once, what if one moves a tiny fraction or the heat kills it?

June 17, 2013, 12:48:01 AM
Does it matter what kind of JTAG programmer I get? Interested in overclocking my little single board.

Also, has anyone looked at the PCB designs? Is it possible to purchase BFL chips and manually add them to a Little Single board and up its chip count from 8 to 16?

Hot air reflow? Hot plate? Infrared reflow? Lots of ways to get it done...
June 16, 2013, 11:11:26 PM

I guess if he has enough chips to spare he could just overclock it high enough  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: