Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL's new "highspeed manufacturing" capability? - page 2. (Read 2989 times)

donator
Activity: 151
Merit: 100
Assholier-than-thou retard magnet

What I was referring to by asic product life cycle was the time to next "upgrade" as we are just getting started with asics and assuming we are here for the long haul(I hope) then we will be seeing a march down the nanometer ladder with ever more powerful asics.

There are several obvious precedents in history.

We have the scramble for the desktop, with MIPS, CMOS, Zilog, HP, IBM, DEC, Intel, Motorola, NatSemi, SUN, and others, wrestling for various slots of the market with different ISAs.  People pretty much settled on x86 for the desktop, with the rest getting pushed to the margins above and below the consumer/business desktop, with a few consolidations (HPPA and Itanium, PPC/POWER, etc.).

Because of a number of factors (mainly Microsoft), the x86 PC platform emerged and a number of variants of ISA compatible clone chips, some licensed and some not-so-much so, were developed by a range of competitors.  AMD, Harris, Cyrix, IDT, Transmeta, VIA, and others have wrestled in this space, to various degrees of success.  Some of that continues today, but we see elimination and consolidation in the space.  It's basically Intel and AMD.

Other examples of innovation, starvation, and consolidation include mobile platforms, computer audio subsystems, and various GPU cycles, at the high (SGI) and low (Nvidia, ATI, 3dfx, S3, Paradise, Matrox, etc.) ends.  Success has pivoted on application support and maintaining position within the pack.

I suspect we'll see the same sort of thing with BTC ASICs.  We're seeing an evolutionary step with the first gen, from new architectures to masked FPGA descriptions that are burned in silicon.

What happens next can follow a number of paths.

First is the evolutionary migration to smaller transistor sizes, which will permit faster, lower-power operation, higher hasher density per die, etc.

Second, macro-scale architectural innovations may be applied to gain much more significant advantages.

Third, software support will be critical.  A great piece of hardware is only as good as how much power it can put onto the network.

None of these may happen (I'm looking backward to point forward) or all of them may happen.  They're expensive.  Generally, a leader will emerge at some point.  Because software makers usually want to target the largest market, you'll start to see less-supported platforms either adopt the interface (if not the architecture) of the leader and attempt to differentiate themselves somehow, whether it be price, clock speed, improved availability, or marketing.  Those who don't follow consolidation in such a small market will exit the market.

While I'm interested in seeing what the first generation does, it's really not that important.  New players may emerge or others may fail completely out of the gate.  No one has even demonstrated a prototype yet.

What I am excited about (ok, strong language) is what generations two and three look like.  Once everyone has an ASIC in their hands and the market is validated, it's going to get sexy.  I would say that any of the current ASIC makers who don't have their next gen chips in the pipeline (hah!) will probably not survive, even if it's just a process improvement "tock".
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
i hope they make at least 100 or so a day or 50.
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
COINDER
Very good questions  Wink

They magically produce 3 different types of devices in 1 or 2 months that can magically produce a magically amount of money against a magically low price and were are a lot of proof is magically not given so far ...

Roll Eyes Tongue Cool
Activity: 1077
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Well - if a company doesn't answer a simple question - what kind of business is that?

Seems like they are not interested in "little" Money by selling some Jalapenos. I asked them how long
it would take until I receive my Jalapenos - NO answer... nothing... (they could say something like "it can take 3-4 month... dunno... but no answer...
what kind of business is that?)

Even if a nother company is a bit more expensive... I go and buy there!

Activity: 117
Merit: 10
Mining since difficulty 157,426 !

What I was referring to by asic product life cycle was the time to next "upgrade" as we are just getting started with asics and assuming we are here for the long haul(I hope) then we will be seeing a march down the nanometer ladder with ever more powerful asics.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Mining will likely become a game of 'keeping up with the Joneses'. No matter how fast your own hashing power is, you are always competing for a finite amount of coins and there's always a bigger fish. Those with the means to invest will make more money and those that don't will be on the sidelines.

I was a bit concerned to learn that the ASIC warranty was only 6 months. I sure do hope these things don't go *pop* after only a few months of use, since it will never get to pay for itself if it dies on or after 6 months, 1 day of uptime.
Depends on when you ordered.  I have an ASIC order that will definitely ship out in the first batch, and if the price/difficulty ratio doesn't change much from today, it'll pay for itself in 5 days.

I certainly wouldn't count on a new order written up today having a payback less than 6 months though.  But if difficulty only rises by 10 times (which is what some people are projecting), it should *technically* pay for itself within 1.5 months, which still isn't bad.  I just think difficulty is going to rise far past 1000% once all of the ASIC preorders have shipped.  Certainly, if it isn't going to pay back within 6 months, I wouldn't buy it with only a 6 month warranty - too much risk for my taste.
Activity: 163
Merit: 100
Mining will likely become a game of 'keeping up with the Joneses'. No matter how fast your own hashing power is, you are always competing for a finite amount of coins and there's always a bigger fish. Those with the means to invest will make more money and those that don't will be on the sidelines.

I was a bit concerned to learn that the ASIC warranty was only 6 months. I sure do hope these things don't go *pop* after only a few months of use, since it will never get to pay for itself if it dies on or after 6 months, 1 day of uptime.
Activity: 117
Merit: 10
Mining since difficulty 157,426 !

Another very interesting factor I believe is that BFL is about to introduce the very first "High speed manufacturing" to the Bitcoin world.

Just how many units per day will their new facility produce?

Will the guys going on their "magical mystery tour" bring back video's?

I've seen claims of catching up on ALL pre-orders by Christmas which would be truly impressive!

Will we buy them up as fast as they can produce them on into the new year?

And what about ASIC product life cycle?

Interesting times to come indeed.
Pages:
Jump to: