Pages:
Author

Topic: BiblePay - New Coin Launch - Official Thread - page 81. (Read 119833 times)

Activity: 1176
Merit: 215
Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords

Well explained, like Blu I'll have to re-read it again to get a complete understanding.  But I would echo his request on versions, if there would be a way for the Core to report what OS was used, it would be very interesting to know and could lead to some improvements.  Thanks as always for your attention and willingness to work that keeps this coin moving forward.

Yeah, I think what we can do is during the init.cpp, we can determine if its Win (as code exists to choose the windows tcp stack), linux (as we know its not win and not mac), or MAC.  And set a variable globally.  Then when the user hits the pool, relay the client version and the OS.

This would be useful to allow the pool to collect user baseline.  Then later we can expose a report in the pool to show the % by OS flavor.

I think we can do this.

sorry to say , but 1.0.3.2 on linux is dying the same way as 1.0.3.1   .   have to follow the same routine restarting the daemon  Sad

Im not sure I completely understand, what is dying and restarting which daemon? (I know we always restart the daemon), and Im dealing with many spinning errors, not sure what you mean about 'dying'.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
Please be ready for a mandatory upgrade in 4 hours.

I was born ready. Grin Awesome work, very fast.

I see 1.0.3.2 is already on GitHub, so we can start the upgrade?
Lets give it a couple hours at least, so the windows users have a "chance" to come online.
This way we can all sort of get in together.  

I started linux upgrades.  they will take at least an hour anyway .  thanks Bible_pay

Yeah, "make" takes around half an hour on high spec machines. Is there a way to only build changed files, like src/main.cpp and src/pow.cpp?
On my debian box, I do partial non-clean builds, and all I do is run a script that does the git pull origin master, then I skip over to 'make' (dont configure or autogen), and it builds a lot faster.

sorry to say , but 1.0.3.2 on linux is dying the same way as 1.0.3.1   .   have to follow the same routine restarting the daemon  Sad

I just upgraded and I have had no issues so far. I'm running Ubuntu 17.04.
Code:
EXCEPTION: St13runtime_error
tinyformat: Not enough conversion specifiers in format string
biblepay in ProcessMessages()

2017-09-13 15:34:23 ProcessMessages(block, 191 bytes) FAILED peer=1
2017-09-13 15:34:23 89

I got this error in 1.0.3.2 in debug.log, repeated many times, and it stopped syncing after that. The error started right after block 7099 has been synced.

I am getting a similar error with Windows 32 bit v1.0.3.2 exe

Code:
2017-09-13 15:32:59 init message: Activating best chain...
2017-09-13 15:32:59

C:\Program Files (x86)\BiblepayCore\biblepay-qt.exe in Runaway exception      

2017-09-13 15:33:02 CDBEnv::EnvShutdown: Error 22 shutting down database environment: Invalid argument
2017-09-13 15:34:21

Checking, but in the mean time I vaguely remember this happens when the wallet cant open the wallet.dat file.  Please try restoring a backup of wallet.dat  from the backups folder and let me know.
Activity: 221
Merit: 100

Lets give it a couple hours at least, so the windows users have a "chance" to come online.

I started linux upgrades.  they will take at least an hour anyway .  thanks Bible_pay

Yeah, "make" takes around half an hour on high spec machines. Is there a way to only build changed files, like src/main.cpp and src/pow.cpp?
On my debian box, I do partial non-clean builds, and all I do is run a script that does the git pull origin master, then I skip over to 'make' (dont configure or autogen), and it builds a lot faster.

sorry to say , but 1.0.3.2 on linux is dying the same way as 1.0.3.1   .   have to follow the same routine restarting the daemon  Sad
Activity: 1260
Merit: 115
Code:

I got this error in 1.0.3.2 in debug.log, repeated many times, and it stopped syncing after that. The error started right after block 7099 has been synced.

I am getting a similar error with Windows 32 bit v1.0.3.2 exe

Code:
2017-09-13 15:32:59 init message: Activating best chain...
2017-09-13 15:32:59

C:\Program Files (x86)\BiblepayCore\biblepay-qt.exe in Runaway exception      

2017-09-13 15:33:02 CDBEnv::EnvShutdown: Error 22 shutting down database environment: Invalid argument
2017-09-13 15:34:21
Activity: 462
Merit: 103
Code:

Activity: 406
Merit: 101

Correct, exactly, you nailed it. Well, ideologically I guess it's not bad to favor the mid to small miners for high decentralization purposes, but I am still wondering from the technical side of things, is that a bug in the algo or something.

Alrighty a guess and some homework for you is all I can offer on this today:

So the old algorithm had an outer loop of 1000 X11 hashes and an inner loop of one biblepay hash, meaning that if you ran 80 threads on x11-bbp pre F7000, that distributed thread could conduct its hashing without the resources of the full node.  (Whenever the miner needs to access the resources of the full node, for example, asking it for AES/md5/chaining the KJV together) grabbing the pindex bestblockindex map, it is in a way locking the thread for a few milliseconds and grabbing its data and then continuing.  In the NEW world, in F7000, its hashing only one X11 hash (for the blockindex), yet 1000 BibleHashes of work being expended per loop.  So its no longer able to decentralize a thread with just a math problem (IE x11 solution), and come back and join the rest of the threads, instead, its doing a lot of biblehash->askfullnode->biblehash->askfullnode, etc.

So my guess is this: In f7000, there is a strong reliance on the full nodes availablility, and the thread itself can only do so much work before its waiting around for availablility of the data it needs (like a blockindex for example, from the map).  The reason the kernel cant allow two threads to read the same value simultaneously is that would cause a segfault error.  

So what I recommend is this: Find a way to run multiple copies of biblepay on one server, and do a side by side comparison of those specs with the sum of the hash of biblepay instances.  If the hash throughput is higher on the multiple copies, then we know that I said above is true and the only way to consolidate hardware to high power servers is then to run multiple instances per node.

On a side note if we find that to be the case then that is good- as you said earlier -part of the benefit of requiring the full node is to reward the decentralized full node environment (IE not the people with the biggest nodes) as part of the original vision is to not be greed based but to be service oriented.

Well explained, like Blu I'll have to re-read it again to get a complete understanding.  But I would echo his request on versions, if there would be a way for the Core to report what OS was used, it would be very interesting to know and could lead to some improvements.  Thanks as always for your attention and willingness to work that keeps this coin moving forward.
Biblepay v1.0.3.2 - Mandatory Upgrade
https://www.biblepay.org
https://github.com/biblepay/biblepay

- Fix f7000 Low-Subsidy based on High-Diff calculation
- Fix Pool banning issue
- Fix Read Disk error

Activity: 462
Merit: 103

I get it. Do you happen to have the info on how many Windows users there are, compared to the Linux users?

This is just a guess, since I dont have those figures, although that brings up a good point, that we should make an attempt to grab those figures for development purposes.

Based on my experience with other coins, believe it or not, its usually an 80% windows download rate, 20% linux (1% mac).
However, I believe with BiblePay, we have a handful of grass-root linux supporters who seem to run a high quantity of nodes (IE they seem to
 have excess money laying around for hobbies, and/or have some relationship to cloudmining).  We might be attracting people who deal with excess PC resources, being the only coin that hasnt been exploited by GPUs.

Anyway, Im going to guess that out of 750 users, 70% are still PC users, but I believe personally that if you went with node count, we would be along the lines of 1000 nodes with 50% being linux nodes...  So the linux count is probably skewed due to ROI and huge quantity per hobbyist.

(There are stories on the internet of some coins that tried to launch as linux-only, and they always died.)

Very interesting analysis, thank you. I had the exact same thoughts about Linux hobbyists with money or a relationship to cloud mining or access to a lot of unused PCs, perhaps even in some organization.

Do you think there's a way to make the wallet detect OS version so that you could then run a report command just like with version numbers?

Correct, exactly, you nailed it. Well, ideologically I guess it's not bad to favor the mid to small miners for high decentralization purposes, but I am still wondering from the technical side of things, is that a bug in the algo or something.

So the old algorithm had an outer loop of 1000 X11 hashes and an inner loop of one biblepay hash, meaning that if you ran 80 threads on x11-bbp pre F7000, that distributed thread could conduct its hashing without the resources of the full node.  (Whenever the miner needs to access the resources of the full node, for example, asking it for AES/md5/chaining the KJV together) grabbing the pindex bestblockindex map, it is in a way locking the thread for a few milliseconds and grabbing its data and then continuing.  In the NEW world, in F7000, its hashing only one X11 hash (for the blockindex), yet 1000 BibleHashes of work being expended per loop.  So its no longer able to decentralize a thread with just a math problem (IE x11 solution), and come back and join the rest of the threads, instead, its doing a lot of biblehash->askfullnode->biblehash->askfullnode, etc.

So my guess is this: In f7000, there is a strong reliance on the full nodes availablility, and the thread itself can only do so much work before its waiting around for availablility of the data it needs (like a blockindex for example, from the map).  The reason the kernel cant allow two threads to read the same value simultaneously is that would cause a segfault error. 

So what I recommend is this: Find a way to run multiple copies of biblepay on one server, and do a side by side comparison of those specs with the sum of the hash of biblepay instances.  If the hash throughput is higher on the multiple copies, then we know that I said above is true and the only way to consolidate hardware to high power servers is then to run multiple instances per node.

On a side note if we find that to be the case then that is good- as you said earlier -part of the benefit of requiring the full node is to reward the decentralized full node environment (IE not the people with the biggest nodes) as part of the original vision is to not be greed based but to be service oriented.

A bit more technical lingo than I am able to handle right now, but I got the gist of it. Smiley I have some errands to do now, but in the evening or tomorrow I will try to run two nodes on one machine and will report back with the results, to see if your theory is correct (I have a feeling it is).
Activity: 87
Is there a new wallet out¿
The linux is checked in, but Im waiting on Win to compile.

Probably 30 more minutes, then Ill post a mandatory upgrade.

Thanks, will be out for 1h so now i will turn pool mining off.
The linux is checked in, but Im waiting on Win to compile.

Probably 30 more minutes, then Ill post a mandatory upgrade.
Activity: 87

So the old algorithm had an outer loop of 1000 X11 hashes and an inner loop of one biblepay hash, meaning that if you ran 80 threads on x11-bbp pre F7000, that distributed thread could conduct its hashing without the resources of the full node.  (Whenever the miner needs to access the resources of the full node, for example, asking it for AES/md5/chaining the KJV together) grabbing the pindex bestblockindex map, it is in a way locking the thread for a few milliseconds and grabbing its data and then continuing.  In the NEW world, in F7000, its hashing only one X11 hash (for the blockindex), yet 1000 BibleHashes of work being expended per loop.  So its no longer able to decentralize a thread with just a math problem (IE x11 solution), and come back and join the rest of the threads, instead, its doing a lot of biblehash->askfullnode->biblehash->askfullnode, etc.

So my guess is this: In f7000, there is a strong reliance on the full nodes availablility, and the thread itself can only do so much work before its waiting around for availablility of the data it needs (like a blockindex for example, from the map).  The reason the kernel cant allow two threads to read the same value simultaneously is that would cause a segfault error.  

So what I recommend is this: Find a way to run multiple copies of biblepay on one server, and do a side by side comparison of those specs with the sum of the hash of biblepay instances.  If the hash throughput is higher on the multiple copies, then we know that I said above is true and the only way to consolidate hardware to high power servers is then to run multiple instances per node.

Activity: 89
Merit: 7
vrs2.hostv.pl - node updated

Code:
vrs2 ~ $ ./biblepay/src/biblepay-cli getpeerinfo | grep subver | sort | uniq -c        
      1     "subver": "/Biblepay Core:1.0.2.2/",
     83     "subver": "/Biblepay Core:1.0.3.1/",
      6     "subver": "/Biblepay Core:1.0.3.2/",
Activity: 221
Merit: 100

I started linux upgrades.  they will take at least an hour anyway .  thanks Bible_pay

lunux miners deserve some bounty for the troubles with babysitting 1.0.3.1  : )
At least linux users can make a script to upgrade easier than the windows users.
Its probably going to be necessary anyway if you want to run multiple masternodes.

I must say this project made me a linux user.  I used to play with *nix years ago just for fun .   so I have to do everything hard way .   learning bash scripting  is the next thing to have fun with Smiley

and running masternodes will be my next big goal .

I get it. Do you happen to have the info on how many Windows users there are, compared to the Linux users?

This is just a guess, since I dont have those figures, although that brings up a good point, that we should make an attempt to grab those figures for development purposes.

Based on my experience with other coins, believe it or not, its usually an 80% windows download rate, 20% linux (1% mac).
However, I believe with BiblePay, we have a handful of grass-root linux supporters who seem to run a high quantity of nodes (IE they seem to
 have excess money laying around for hobbies, and/or have some relationship to cloudmining).  We might be attracting people who deal with excess PC resources, being the only coin that hasnt been exploited by GPUs.

Anyway, Im going to guess that out of 750 users, 70% are still PC users, but I believe personally that if you went with node count, we would be along the lines of 1000 nodes with 50% being linux nodes...  So the linux count is probably skewed due to ROI and huge quantity per hobbyist.

(There are stories on the internet of some coins that tried to launch as linux-only, and they always died.)

Do you know when the Windows version will hit the website to DL? The reason I ask is that Endpoint Antivirus (my workplace's choice for antivirus) has red flagged the 64 bit version's download link (not the file but the link) so I have to go through a bunch of fun phone gymnastics to get it downloaded and copied over here.

I will do a git pull for linux at 10AM and start the recompile, that should give some time.

I think it will be ready in about 90 minutes, it looks like its halfway done compiling.

I see c-cex is still down for maintenance; hopefully they had a lot of unrelated work to do.  Probably reindexing the database.

lunux miners deserve some bounty for the troubles with babysitting 1.0.3.1  : )
At least linux users can make a script to upgrade easier than the windows users.
Its probably going to be necessary anyway if you want to run multiple masternodes.

I started linux upgrades.  they will take at least an hour anyway .  thanks Bible_pay

Pages:
Jump to: