Pages:
Author

Topic: Big banks creating Bitcoin alternative - page 3. (Read 3176 times)

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048
December 18, 2015, 09:05:19 AM
This article caught my eye earlier: http://www.wired.com/2015/12/big-tech-joins-big-banks-to-create-alternative-to-bitcoins-blockchain/

Seems that big banks want in on the idea of the Blockchain, but are opting against Bitcoin.
no i dont think they will create something like bitcoin or against bitcoin,maybe they just will create another crypto currency,and will not same as bitcoin,even that using and based blockchain technology.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
December 18, 2015, 08:51:43 AM
I don't know why people are afraid of this. One of the main reasons for which I'm personally using Bitcoin is because there is no centralized party and there are no corrupt banks involved. Obviously if they create a viable alternative, it is going to be under a fixed 'set of rules' that you have to follow (after which using it does not make much sense).

Yes altcoin and bitcoin can co-exist but what if those banks releases the blockchain based cryptocoin than we can't exactly call them as cryptocoin. They all will be centralized and their supply will be limited to total fiat they have in their bank. So i don't see any difference between the banks so called blockchain based coin and fiat we have now.
No anonymity/privacy, no decentralization. It's most likely going to be worse than the existing systems.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1008
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
December 18, 2015, 08:44:29 AM
Can Bitcoin and alternatives not co-exist?
Yes altcoin and bitcoin can co-exist but what if those banks releases the blockchain based cryptocoin than we can't exactly call them as cryptocoin. They all will be centralized and their supply will be limited to total fiat they have in their bank. So i don't see any difference between the banks so called blockchain based coin and fiat we have now.
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
December 18, 2015, 08:25:07 AM
Wasn't IBM involved in Ethereum at one point?  So would we be seeing an Ethereum fork in the future?  Or are they starting from scratch?

Microsoft is involved with Ehtereum with its Azure system. I never heard about the involvement of IBM.
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
In XEM we trust
December 18, 2015, 08:16:59 AM
In Finland banks got they own qr-code systems (not bitcoin)  Embarrassed
Well, it's easier for Finnish people to get used to bitcoin then...
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009
Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse
December 18, 2015, 07:58:59 AM
I thought they were after private sidechains? It's kinda not logical if they're gonna pursue a 'bitcoin alternative' IMO.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000
December 18, 2015, 05:17:25 AM
This article caught my eye earlier: http://www.wired.com/2015/12/big-tech-joins-big-banks-to-create-alternative-to-bitcoins-blockchain/

Seems that big banks want in on the idea of the Blockchain, but are opting against Bitcoin.

This theme is treated several times in this forum and you can find t many threads or posts regarding it. Anyhow, you are totally wrong. A commercial bank (like the banks mentioned in the article or by you) have any right to create/stamp any kind of currency. So even every such bank will want to do this thing that you mention cannot do it because is against the law. The right to create money have only a Central Bank or an Authority which have this kind of duty but with another name (for example Federal Reserve).

As for the above article the banks want to implement the technology from which is created bitcoin and in which is based the build of blockchain. Named peer to peer (if you don't know it). This a disruptive technology which cut excessively the costs of every kind of technology which replace. The field of its application are unimaginable and depends only from the imagination of the human kind.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
December 18, 2015, 03:56:07 AM

don't you think they're planing to acquire 51% of btc?

no way, they need to increase the demand very far to do it, many people ar enot willing to sell their btc at current price

don't do the mistake of thinking that they would just spend 15M bitcoin x $500, is at least x10 that, because the more you buy the more the demand will increase
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004
December 18, 2015, 03:35:02 AM
Unfortunately instead on focusing on bitcoin, creating the best cryptocurrency of them all people are once again divide their efforts for personal gain.
We are now seeing how financial institutions create ways to capitalize on blockchains technology, all of this because bitcoin is considered by 'law abiding citizens' shadowy and enigmatic, almost outlaw invention.
Activity: 1061
Merit: 502
RIP: S5, A faithful device long time
December 18, 2015, 03:24:46 AM
In Finland banks got they own qr-code systems (not bitcoin)  Embarrassed
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
December 18, 2015, 03:07:53 AM

that idea seems serious,and it can be really good technology based blockchain,they also know that bitcoin is very good for their project,i hope this match idea can't be really against bitcoin,because it will centralize and controled by big banks.
legendary
Activity: 1344
December 18, 2015, 01:34:22 AM
they are small banks now because they are approaching obsoleteness
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1041
December 18, 2015, 01:25:22 AM

don't you think they're planing to acquire 51% of btc?
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 18, 2015, 01:20:13 AM
anyway these crooks can get a piece of something they will always
come running lol. Would be interesting to see how a bank backed alt
coin does.

its not going to be a bank backed altcoin sold on crypto exchanges..

its going to be internal use only.. where customers just see a balance on their accounts.. in simple terms they are trying to get rig of sql style databases that greedy employee's fiddled with
They simply like the fact, that they have the power to manipulate the flow of money. Even when they create their altcoin, people who know about bitcoin would chew through their idea pretty quickly and would still stick to bitcoin. It should be good news for us if they didn't create an alternative currency and would use blockchain just to move money around, since fiat isn't really that good in keeping its value.

They use blockchain just to move money around, but they don't know blockchain network isn't strong without many miners or full nodes users Roll Eyes
Also, only they who run their blockchain, so it means they can manipulate blockchain as they want Roll Eyes

I think they misused blockchain
Activity: 552
December 18, 2015, 12:42:17 AM
Big banks will only create centralised systems which is not the same as the concept of "decentralised" and "trustless" system.
Activity: 574
In XEM we trust
December 18, 2015, 12:17:16 AM
coin does.

its going to be internal use only.. where customers just see a balance on their accounts.. in simple terms they are trying to get rig of sql style databases that greedy employee's fiddled with
They simply like the fact, that they have the power to manipulate the flow of money. Even when they create their altcoin, people who know about bitcoin would chew through their idea pretty quickly and would still stick to bitcoin. It should be good news for us if they didn't create an alternative currency and would use blockchain just to move money around, since fiat isn't really that good in keeping its value.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
December 18, 2015, 12:16:19 AM
As much as the banks and other financial institutions are in the run for an alternative to bitcoin, I can honestly say that it will not be easy to beat bitcoins from its game. This is a digital currency that has been deeply rooted in peoples mind and is growing day and night irrespective of the negative publicity it is getting.  What I know is that the banks are trying to come up with a currency that they will have control over now that they don't have it on bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
December 17, 2015, 11:40:46 PM
coin does.

legendary
Activity: 1442
December 17, 2015, 11:38:15 PM
coin does.
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
December 17, 2015, 11:14:59 PM
Wasn't IBM involved in Ethereum at one point?  So would we be seeing an Ethereum fork in the future?  Or are they starting from scratch?
Pages:
Jump to: