Pages:
Author

Topic: Bit-Pay.com / Super Boost for Bitcoin Economy - page 3. (Read 8151 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251
I think it's a bunch of fucking bullshit and a rip off of the bitcoin community.
Isn't it already a bunch of crap that we pay 3& to credit card companies. They claim to charge that for their "highly protective, massively fraudulent services that use thousands of computers and office buildings thousands of employees etc etc etc.

So why are we expected to pay these guys 2% of every transaction to use this service as a merchant?
What did they do, besides write a simple program, which should give them 2% off all merchants fees? What do they do that qualifies this HUGE EXORBITANT FEE from these guys? I don't get it. I call this a bunch of baloney

I hope another one comes along next month and moves these guys down 2 notches.
Dude, they are a start-up, they need to pay off their initial costs, streamline their offerings, and above all turn in a profit. I don't know bit-pay's fee structure, but if they make it easy for merchants to start using Bitcoins by providing a great service, it's good for everyone. Also, from what I've heard on these forums the credit card companies basically make money every time there is fraud by charging merchants out the ass, so they aren't using their percentages primarily for that purpose. There's no reason competition can't fix the fee "problem" as usage goes up. From what I remember they offer Bitcoin directly to cash equivalent conversions, so those definitely have real costs that need to be covered. Some form of fee seems reasonable at this point and if merchants are willing to pay, that's their prerogative.

Maybe i'm being a little harsh on them, but they are ripping off the bitcoin community, plain and straight.
I'm not a programmer, but I have had dozens of websites in the past, and I happen to know for a fact that what they are doing is SIMPLE. Plain and SIMPLE. It's a great service they are providing, but they are taking ZERO risk, and they are doing VERY LITTLE to warrant a 2% merchant fee. I, for one, will absolutely not use them.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
I think it's a bunch of fucking bullshit and a rip off of the bitcoin community.
Isn't it already a bunch of crap that we pay 3& to credit card companies. They claim to charge that for their "highly protective, massively fraudulent services that use thousands of computers and office buildings thousands of employees etc etc etc.

So why are we expected to pay these guys 2% of every transaction to use this service as a merchant?
What did they do, besides write a simple program, which should give them 2% off all merchants fees? What do they do that qualifies this HUGE EXORBITANT FEE from these guys? I don't get it. I call this a bunch of baloney

Dude, they are a start-up, they need to pay off their initial costs, streamline their offerings, and above all turn in a profit. I don't know bit-pay's fee structure, but if they make it easy for merchants to start using Bitcoins by providing a great service, it's good for everyone. Also, from what I've heard on these forums the credit card companies basically make money every time there is fraud by charging merchants out the ass, so they aren't using their percentages primarily for that purpose. There's no reason competition can't fix the fee "problem" as usage goes up. From what I remember they offer Bitcoin directly to cash equivalent conversions, so those definitely have real costs that need to be covered. Some form of fee seems reasonable at this point and if merchants are willing to pay, that's their prerogative.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
I already complain about all that other shit, yes, so it's due and just. I can complain all I want to. That's part of what makes this country great.

I think whatever amount you get paid for whatever that you do for work you are being overpaid because someone somewhere else makes much less doing similar job  - don't you find this comment stupid? that's how yours sounded, no offence.  

why do you care how much someone else is charging, they are not forcing you to use it and not ripping you off. you may think they ripping others off, but if others find their service useful and great they can justify the cost.  additionally if bitpay going to do payouts in USD, they need a buffer on exchange rate.

and btw you clearly have no idea what it takes to develop a service and to work on new features & support. - it costs money and then it needs to be profitable.
bitrebel, noone makes you use the service, or does someone hold a gun to your head and says you must or else?
they can charge whatever they want

do you complain that apple charges $500-600 for their iphones/ipad produced with cheap labor in china, or that luxury cars cost premium?  ftw?! go complain about ebay taking 10% of a sale lol

I already complain about all that other shit, yes, so it's due and just. I can complain all I want to. That's part of what makes this country great.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
bitrebel, noone makes you use the service, or does someone hold a gun to your head and says you must or else?
they can charge whatever they want, this is a free market after all.  their fee could make or break them depending on quality of service and demand. plus their fee leaves enough room for new competition. business 101. if it's not profitable for them they have no reason to run it and develop it further. try doing something like that yourself.

do you complain that apple charges $500-600 for their iphones/ipad produced with cheap labor in china, or that luxury cars cost premium?  ftw?! go complain about ebay taking 10% of a sale lol
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
Haha if you don't like the service don't use it, but 2% is hardly unreasonable.  If it is so easy, then make a competitor and charge whatever you want.

Activity: 89
Merit: 10
Can anyone update the list of "Shopping Carts" on the wiki and add Bit-Pay?  I can't see how to do that.
I've added a boilerplate page to the wiki and linked it to the "Shopping Carts" category. I didn't take the time to fill out any of the content. I might squeeze in some basic info before I go to bed.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bit-pay
Activity: 294
sigh. then don't. the economy will probably survive without bitkamikaze using bit-pay.

BTW you don't need to watch the show. it is so easy that you will understand it on the fly anyway if you have created your own sites.

I'm not the Kamikaze developer OR the King Of The Mountain developer, I'm just a degenerate gambler.  Grin

But, I am a developer for the past 13 years, and I can speak for developers when I say we want written documentation, BEFORE we register, or we're not going to use you.

And the Bit Pay site does not have this, or at least does not have it where I can easily find it.

If you DO have it, put it out front!  If you don't have it, get it.  Trust me, this is important.  Example code.  Test beds.  "real" merchant APIs have this.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
sigh. then don't. the economy will probably survive without bitkamikaze using bit-pay.

BTW you don't need to watch the show. it is so easy that you will understand it on the fly anyway if you have created your own sites.
Your website is a bit slim on the details (no sound here, so I have not watched the video.  I tend not to watch video.  You may find that developers tend to not watch video, we like to read.)

I have a website that sells stuff.  I use PayPal shopping cart.  Can I do a similar thing with Bit Pay?  The PayPal shopping cart is dead simple to implement.

alternately:

I am transitioning my site to Wordpress.  Is there a Wordpress plugin for Bit Pay?

Thanks!

Bruce did it step by step on the bitcoin show today and it looked hella easy.  Just like paypal but with alot more cool features.

an HOUR!  Seriously?  This is why I read.  Give me a transcript of that show and I'll read it in 10 minutes or less.

Look, Bit Pay.  Give me written documentation, or I (and other developers) wont use you.  It's that simple.

[edit - I implemented PayPals shopping cart in an hour. I'm not watching an hour long video ]
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
@bit-pay

You might want to look into changing your logo. Paypal isn't a nice business and may sue you.

EDIT: Just watched the video, your service sounds great.

Thanks.  We have a designer working on a new logo.  In fact we had a little beauty contest last night with lots of color options. 
Huh I don't see the similarities you see. Why would paypal sue bit-pay?
Activity: 2044
Merit: 501
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
@bit-pay

You might want to look into changing your logo. Paypal isn't a nice business and may sue you.

EDIT: Just watched the video, your service sounds great.
Activity: 616
I watched the video and they are a liiiiiiiiiiiiittle too liberal on the "Eliminates fraud" jargon.

It doesn't eliminate fraud, it eliminates the buyer being able to "renig" on his transaction. A fraudster can still pay with stolen bitcoins.
Your website is a bit slim on the details (no sound here, so I have not watched the video.  I tend not to watch video.  You may find that developers tend to not watch video, we like to read.)

I have a website that sells stuff.  I use PayPal shopping cart.  Can I do a similar thing with Bit Pay?  The PayPal shopping cart is dead simple to implement.

alternately:

I am transitioning my site to Wordpress.  Is there a Wordpress plugin for Bit Pay?

Thanks!

Bruce did it step by step on the bitcoin show today and it looked hella easy.  Just like paypal but with alot more cool features.

More with the video.  Roll Eyes  Am I the last devotee of the written word?  Grin

I'll check it out.
Your website is a bit slim on the details (no sound here, so I have not watched the video.  I tend not to watch video.  You may find that developers tend to not watch video, we like to read.)

I have a website that sells stuff.  I use PayPal shopping cart.  Can I do a similar thing with Bit Pay?  The PayPal shopping cart is dead simple to implement.

alternately:

I am transitioning my site to Wordpress.  Is there a Wordpress plugin for Bit Pay?

Thanks!

Bruce did it step by step on the bitcoin show today and it looked hella easy.  Just like paypal but with alot more cool features.

alternately:

Thanks!
Can anyone update the list of "Shopping Carts" on the wiki and add Bit-Pay?  I can't see how to do that.
Thanks guys!  I was about to post a thread but I'll just add to this one.

We need to walk before we run here.  Bit-pay is still in beta-test, and we can't support hundreds of merchants tomorrow.  Since every install has a little customization we want to make sure every merchant gets our full support to get going.

Too many bitcoin startups have grown too fast beyond what they can support.  And when a problem happens, suddenly thousands of people cannot get their emails answered!  We don't want that to happen.  We'd rather grow a little more slowly and make sure we can support every merchant we take on.  We're in this for the long haul.

Believe me, we would LOVE to open bit-pay up to every business in the world, and we will get there.  We just ask that you are patient with us, as every week we will add new features to our site that will enable us to bring on more merchants. 

We do have the Merchant Application at our site, and anyone interested should apply now.  If we feel we can meet your needs with what we have, we'll approve you sooner.  If it's a more complicated install, it may take more time.  Please be patient and we look forward to serving you!

Thanks
Tony
Pages:
Jump to: