Pages:
Author

Topic: Bit Potato - Hottest bits since the potato!! - page 11. (Read 11491 times)

Activity: 63
Merit: 10
I'm addicted to this site.  I lost about 20 LTC with my first potato purchase.  After that I watched how it worked and I've made about 5 LTC back.

Be careful kids!
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Ever since the times were dropped, it's no longer attractive to even buy above 30 because people are too scared. When the timers were long, the prices would usually always be above at least 100. The hot potato's 6 hour timer is ridiculous and was unannounced. There should be a chart showing the reset timers at least. The time should also pause when someone locks it out and it says waiting for payment, but it doesn't and that allows people to lock out the 3 hour and hot potato until it resets giving the current holder no chance. People I've seen 2 people locking out potatoes so far and were named "tater salad" and "just the tip".

I will agree with this though, I think it was a mistake to lower the times. I understand it leads to more short term profit for the company (and I don't fault them for that), but it leads to more people being stuck with the potato, and ultimately more people being disillusioned with the site. This is going to quickly cripple the price the potatos get to, as we are already seeing. Hot potato is about to expire with a price of 70~ LTC, and likely lower next time.

I think a better approach would be to stick with 24 hr or even potentially longer timers, and also start the potatos lower! Bitpotato don't get too greedy...when you sneak a starting cost in of 50 LTC people DO notice. Maybe get rid of the 3hr potato which is quickly becoming the "one person buys and that's it" potato, and replace it with a "Linear Potato." Start at 1 LTC, add +3 or +5 LTC every purchase with no crazy random increases. More people will be excited waiting for potatos to expire (this is the FUN part of the game guys! If I'm not waiting for a potato to expire then I'm not on the site and you're making less money!) and more people will get to play overall. Forcing at least one potato to remain at a lower price for longer also expands your market potential significantly.

Anyway, just random thoughts...not my site though, is it Wink

edit: also found it a bit ironic that in a game so centered around abusing people's greed, the owner's of the site got a bit too greedy with their monetization of the site! hahaha

Hit the nail on the head!

We'll start our own bitpotato with linear potatoes and longer times!

But seriously, this site is getting worse and worse everyday.
Activity: 66
Ever since the times were dropped, it's no longer attractive to even buy above 30 because people are too scared. When the timers were long, the prices would usually always be above at least 100. The hot potato's 6 hour timer is ridiculous and was unannounced. There should be a chart showing the reset timers at least. The time should also pause when someone locks it out and it says waiting for payment, but it doesn't and that allows people to lock out the 3 hour and hot potato until it resets giving the current holder no chance. People I've seen 2 people locking out potatoes so far and were named "tater salad" and "just the tip".

I will agree with this though, I think it was a mistake to lower the times. I understand it leads to more short term profit for the company (and I don't fault them for that), but it leads to more people being stuck with the potato, and ultimately more people being disillusioned with the site. This is going to quickly cripple the price the potatos get to, as we are already seeing. Hot potato is about to expire with a price of 70~ LTC, and likely lower next time.

I think a better approach would be to stick with 24 hr or even potentially longer timers, and also start the potatos lower! Bitpotato don't get too greedy...when you sneak a starting cost in of 50 LTC people DO notice. Maybe get rid of the 3hr potato which is quickly becoming the "one person buys and that's it" potato, and replace it with a "Linear Potato." Start at 1 LTC, add +3 or +5 LTC every purchase with no crazy random increases. More people will be excited waiting for potatos to expire (this is the FUN part of the game guys! If I'm not waiting for a potato to expire then I'm not on the site and you're making less money!) and more people will get to play overall. Forcing at least one potato to remain at a lower price for longer also expands your market potential significantly.

Anyway, just random thoughts...not my site though, is it Wink

edit: also found it a bit ironic that in a game so centered around abusing people's greed, the owner's of the site got a bit too greedy with their monetization of the site! hahaha
Dont GAMBLE your Bitcoins! Going on satoshidice, "bit potato".. Or any other gambling website your bound to lose money in long term. Believe me i've lost hundreds more bitcoins then I have ever earned off bitcoin gambling. It leads to gambling addiction which is extremely bad and harmful.

not everyone who has a drink becomes an alcoholic. if you don't have the will power to control your self then don't gamble.
Activity: 14
Dont GAMBLE your Bitcoins! Going on satoshidice, "bit potato".. Or any other gambling website your bound to lose money in long term. Believe me i've lost hundreds more bitcoins then I have ever earned off bitcoin gambling. It leads to gambling addiction which is extremely bad and harmful.
Activity: 42
write a bot or get out the kitchen
Activity: 5
This seems kind of silly... and I also wouldn't call it "low risk" either.
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
Another quick update, we just added in a display for the current user who is attempting to buy the potato. We hope this will help end confusion in accidentally paying for the wrong potato!
right now people or bots are relentlessly clicking on all available potatoes simultaneously when they are available with no intention to pay... over and over again. I don't want to lose my ltc because someone is manipulating the site so nobody can buy? Does the 24hour timer get paused when waiting for payment? If not then this is a serious flaw.

It gets paused - and they should should set it up so you can only have one potato on waiting for payment at a time - and reduce the lock out period.
It does not get paused. I just observed it happen. So i lost 60ltc because my potato was relentlessly locked out. How is that fair?
Activity: 1
Activity: 15
A life-saver indeed, just had to refresh my page and they all pop up! Unfortunately, before refreshing the page, I clicked on the platinum potato to see if it showed up in the message, and feel like a dick for locking a random potato. =P

So it was YOU! That would explain a bit from before...
Activity: 9
EDIT: Fully refunded, thanks BP!

Nice to see that refunds are being given out! Excited for my spot in the line to reach the front. Wink

Another quick update, we just added in a display for the current user who is attempting to buy the potato. We hope this will help end confusion in accidentally paying for the wrong potato!

A life-saver indeed, just had to refresh my page and they all pop up! Unfortunately, before refreshing the page, I clicked on the platinum potato to see if it showed up in the message, and feel like a dick for locking a random potato. =P
Activity: 42
They say that mimicry is the most sincere form of flattery. As no doubt some of you have noticed, a couple ripoff sites have been put up in the last couple days. We wish the best to them, and only hope that they'll be able to keep up with our pace!
Activity: 1
Who is speculating on currencies? In case you meant me: I just mine, I don't trade (except BTC->EUR when they are worth more than what I invested energy-wise).

What I meant with "service" is offering a website to speculate on virtual potatos based on a ponzi scheme. Unlike a bitcoin (which value could be determined by the effort, that is by the time and energy used to produce it), there is no economic value associated with some dataset (if you think otherwise, I can sell you a script to create a lot of datasets in very low time!).

I think it really comes down to something a little bit more philosophical, and what dictates the value of any currency. The only reason something has value is because a person decides, in their mind, that it has value, relative to a currency. It isn't given value by standing for gold, or being an expression of work, it is given value because one person wants to trade it for something else. And whether it be a Porsche, a house, a rock, a music album, or even a piece of data on a server (Free to play games, anyone?), it holds value in someone's mind, and that's the only reason it's worth anything to anyone.
I always thought operating this kind of service would not work, but it seems like there are enough people out there who just can't wait to make a few BTC/USD from... well... nothing? oO

welcome to what we do! do you never question the ethics of playing with money to make yourself money at other people's expense?

you are providing no service. I have worked many jobs, and while day trading (crypto or otherwise) may be one of the more profitable, it is not one that I feel good about morally.

when you fix a man's roof, you can feel satisfied knowing you have provided a service. speculating on currency, or potatos, or virtual potatos, or whatever, is just bullshit in any form. to differentiate between one form or another as more or less crude is a bit... tunnelvision.

Who is speculating on currencies? In case you meant me: I just mine, I don't trade (except BTC->EUR when they are worth more than what I invested energy-wise).

What I meant with "service" is offering a website to speculate on virtual potatos based on a ponzi scheme. Unlike a bitcoin (which value could be determined by the effort, that is by the time and energy used to produce it), there is no economic value associated with some dataset (if you think otherwise, I can sell you a script to create a lot of datasets in very low time!).
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
@OP

Don't ever edit my edits again when I'm warning newbies, if you change it the thread will be locked.
I always thought operating this kind of service would not work, but it seems like there are enough people out there who just can't wait to make a few BTC/USD from... well... nothing? oO

welcome to what we do! do you never question the ethics of playing with money to make yourself money at other people's expense?

you are providing no service. I have worked many jobs, and while day trading (crypto or otherwise) may be one of the more profitable, it is not one that I feel good about morally.

when you fix a man's roof, you can feel satisfied knowing you have provided a service. speculating on currency, or potatos, or virtual potatos, or whatever, is just bullshit in any form. to differentiate between one form or another as more or less crude is a bit... tunnelvision.
Activity: 15
right now people or bots are relentlessly clicking on all available potatoes simultaneously when they are available with no intention to pay... over and over again. I don't want to lose my ltc because someone is manipulating the site so nobody can buy? Does the 24hour timer get paused when waiting for payment? If not then this is a serious flaw.

It gets paused - and they should should set it up so you can only have one potato on waiting for payment at a time - and reduce the lock out period.
A blatantly lazy copy/paste directly from the email I have just sent [email protected]..
That's over 600 dollars in LTC I'm now waiting for..
The website is great, and 80% of the time I end up getting paid without issue... but that 20% of the time is holding me back pretty hard right now!

Hello Bit Potato! You have a very entertaining site, and I was enjoying it for a while with several successful potato transactions. I'm certain that my issue is not one that was caused by user error. I emailed you the details, it was regarding the spud potato at 43.49. I know you are getting a lot of reports right now but a response would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

edit: just wanted to edit in and say that I just received an e-mail from support confirming they read my email and are looking into it. was a very quick response, and a good sign for bit potato, cheers!

Just wanted to update - despite my pestering, the bit potato staff fully refunded me in under 24 hours (on a weekend no less). In addition to that though, I can see they have now made it so that you see your name pop up on the bottom of the potato when you click it, so this doesn't happen again Smiley

Thumbs up, let the potatos roll!
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
Pages:
Jump to: