Pages:
Author

Topic: BitClip: Now with concept drawings! - page 3. (Read 15130 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
firstbits: 1nathana
August 08, 2011, 08:36:53 PM
You should really consider why you would need a full keyboard, in what scenarios are people going to need to type in rediculous bitcoin addresses?

And why not make those very few people use a small usb keyboard instead of increasing the cost of hundreds of units?
Solution: MAKE IT AN OPTION.
As conflicting opinions have been shown, i think ill just make the entry method optional.
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
August 08, 2011, 07:59:42 PM
You should really consider why you would need a full keyboard, in what scenarios are people going to need to type in rediculous bitcoin addresses?

And why not make those very few people use a small usb keyboard instead of increasing the cost of hundreds of units?
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
August 08, 2011, 07:46:21 PM
Fixed that.
Also, there concepts. Not the final word. I would also think that just a numpad would be bad. I might see about getting a base58 keypad made or other. I was thinking we could put a camera in the back that was perma-focused at about 5 inches for scanning qr-codes (maybe even upload images for some sort of OCR? Probably not, but its an idea. I actually based the design off a blockified blackberry, reduced to a numpad and with a d-pad instead of a trackpad. I've personally seen some people type pretty fast and accurate with a numpad though, i've even seen computer keyboards that were just a numpad.
Don't have a custom base58 keyboard made.  Non-standard components will just make it more expensive.  Find an existing qwerty keyboard in the size you want, and figure out how to integrate it into the device.

A camera is an excellent idea, and I would say it's almost necessary.  Can you imagine waiting in line at a retailer while you wait for the person in front of you to painstakingly input all 34 characters of a bitcoin address, only for the checksum to not match and they have to do it all over again?  I would become rather agitated.  I wouldn't set the focus at a permanent 5" though.  Some QR codes will be much bigger than could be scanned from just 5" away (example: Meze Grill).  The camera would need to have an autofocus mechanism.

I would not buy or be interested in a device with just a numpad for input.  I absolutely abhor phones that are that way, even though I became pretty quick at entering in that method myself.  It's just plain obnoxious to type on one - enough to the point where I won't even consider purchasing a device that only has that method of data entry.
You try to find a decent qwerty keypad that wouldn't cost more then a few cents less then a custom of the same size. (when ordering in bulk). Now that i actually put thought into it, a qwerty keypad would be best. Im not 100% sure we can find a cheap camera that would work in a device that has autofoucs. Maybe a good old manual focus ring?
Eh, I'm no good at finding the parts.  Good luck with the hunt though.  Tongue  Manual focus wouldn't hurt for a first run of a product.  I understand the need to find things cheaply.
August 08, 2011, 07:18:22 PM
Fixed that.
Also, there concepts. Not the final word. I would also think that just a numpad would be bad. I might see about getting a base58 keypad made or other. I was thinking we could put a camera in the back that was perma-focused at about 5 inches for scanning qr-codes (maybe even upload images for some sort of OCR? Probably not, but its an idea. I actually based the design off a blockified blackberry, reduced to a numpad and with a d-pad instead of a trackpad. I've personally seen some people type pretty fast and accurate with a numpad though, i've even seen computer keyboards that were just a numpad.
Don't have a custom base58 keyboard made.  Non-standard components will just make it more expensive.  Find an existing qwerty keyboard in the size you want, and figure out how to integrate it into the device.

A camera is an excellent idea, and I would say it's almost necessary.  Can you imagine waiting in line at a retailer while you wait for the person in front of you to painstakingly input all 34 characters of a bitcoin address, only for the checksum to not match and they have to do it all over again?  I would become rather agitated.  I wouldn't set the focus at a permanent 5" though.  Some QR codes will be much bigger than could be scanned from just 5" away (example: Meze Grill).  The camera would need to have an autofocus mechanism.

I would not buy or be interested in a device with just a numpad for input.  I absolutely abhor phones that are that way, even though I became pretty quick at entering in that method myself.  It's just plain obnoxious to type on one - enough to the point where I won't even consider purchasing a device that only has that method of data entry.
You try to find a decent qwerty keypad that wouldn't cost more then a few cents less then a custom of the same size. (when ordering in bulk). Now that i actually put thought into it, a qwerty keypad would be best. Im not 100% sure we can find a cheap camera that would work in a device that has autofoucs. Maybe a good old manual focus ring?
legendary
August 08, 2011, 06:39:00 PM
Fixed that.

August 08, 2011, 06:13:09 PM
Fixed that.
legendary
August 08, 2011, 06:04:35 PM
*not doing this anymore*
What does this mean?  You're done with the project?  Obviously not, or you wouldn't still be posting here...

Concept looks like a gameboy.  Tongue  And don't you need a full alphanumeric keyboard for typing out bitcoin addresses?  Going with just a number pad is a terrible idea - trying to accurately type in a full bitcoin address by pressing each key a certain number of times in a row to get the letter/number you want in the right capitalization you want sounds like a recipe for frustration and disaster.
August 08, 2011, 05:53:14 PM
Alright, here are my concepts for the device and a part of the gui (I like fold-out style menus).
August 07, 2011, 04:30:05 PM
Sorry for having to churn up this old thread, but I haven't had much spare time lately.
Ive got a couple concept drawings, and and idea for something to go along with the hardware/software to make POS bitcoin transfers even easier. Im scanning in the concepts now.
July 23, 2011, 12:59:30 PM
What, nobody have any comments on the earth basking in the light of the bit-sun?
July 22, 2011, 08:11:52 PM
*not doing what was in this post this anymore*
July 19, 2011, 04:49:03 PM
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I made a new address for donating to webhosting: 14zWdasvZxtbBwD7jeo56EJ46NyWZRbkDS
All donations that go to that address will go directly into the fund i will use to pay for webhosting.
I also updated the tile
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJOJe2fAAoJEEq24ASxGyTMEfwH/3s3W25e4iVMlRfwf3Xmde2c
KpylMbhbP6/6WTfXxgrrmNyoES+pZBpE8LfpltAyfbaa0IqOJATlnCr5SJx5clVD
berVqP0ewMmgmTsyzGvqCHwNKjFFNgJw237pDL8nF8jhqHhQCbOZDONywP+eBpOY
qIWvUjIh9hJK6+FAaVLpoEcjjjwUnuV37abdpADK7caqjE6VPfIy86ESwSx4GDo4
SW3wAe7ZX1Mvdgm2qD/LBw2EXbo+dsByV6kD3Yj6O6l/NBMC3rxTJ0ZrqNsMMTe/
ObZ/5dI2XSyyXq9Nfb4CjB5rRjCy6/bRVibRzDCOhLuNP9FUc4yFQE6WuHQvvpI=
=DR1E
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
July 18, 2011, 06:35:05 PM
Nobody have anything to say on the matter?
July 17, 2011, 05:56:52 PM
Changed rules of contest, added pgp public key to my signature, signing all future updates.
July 13, 2011, 02:56:41 PM
I've started to assemble a nice pile of parts for this project. I'm still waiting to hear back form most of the suppliers i have curreently chosen for samples.
July 12, 2011, 09:28:34 AM
Great project idea, I'm supporting this Smiley

I was thinking for as a security measure if the password is typed wrong many times, the device would lock itself and transfer all the bitcoins to a certain pre-defined address, which is configured in the device.

Just a thought.
I was thinking that I could provide multiple OSs for the devices, and you just choose which one you want on it based on your needs. This could defiantly be an option in one of the higher security OSs. I defiantly plan to do find some way to make the device do this upon opening the case, maybe include a bank card with the device that contains such data as the private key its sent to, the unique device identifier, and other things needed for device recovery and security functions. And does anyone know of any flash storage solution that has something along the lines of SMART monitoring? I would love to do a software raid across two of them, and have this as a failsafe should one of them fail, or become near failing.
Activity: 63
July 12, 2011, 08:40:32 AM
Great project idea, I'm supporting this Smiley

I was thinking for as a security measure if the password is typed wrong many times, the device would lock itself and transfer all the bitcoins to a certain pre-defined address, which is configured in the device.

Just a thought.
July 12, 2011, 07:40:29 AM
Morning update:
I am compiling an exact list of parts I think I am going to need to buy, that would allow me use what ever final form factor I please.
July 11, 2011, 09:19:45 PM
Note: Cut of for entries on the concept design contest is 7-30-11. Thank you
July 11, 2011, 04:38:14 PM
In an effort to support the project, and to get some good concept designs going, I am starting a contest for the best concept drawings for both the device and the GUI! (note all fees go to project support)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

The rules are as follows:
- - Concept must be feasible to make
- - No obscene material
- - Design must be easy to use
- - Design must not be exceedingly intricate
- - Everything I say on the matter of the contest is final

Entry categories and fees are as follows (all fees subject to change):
- - Device body concept (0.05 BTC entrance fee)
- - Device GUI concept (0.05 BTC Entrance fee)
- - BitClip Logo (0.05 BTC Entrance fee)

How to enter:
- - Send me a PM saying you would like to enter
- - Tell me what category you would like to enter
- - I will provide you with a bitcoin address to send your fee to
- - Send me the bitcoins and the drawings

How the winner will be selected:
- - I will choose some finalists form each category
- - We will vote on the winner

What the winner will get:
- - There design produced
- - Fifty (50) percent of the bitcoins from entrance fees

All entrance fees are half of what is displayed until Friday, July 22nd 2011