Pages:
Author

Topic: BitClip: Now with concept drawings! - page 4. (Read 15130 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
firstbits: 1nathana
July 08, 2011, 05:47:18 PM
Also would these devices be just for storing wallets? or would they be capable of sending and receiving payments too? if so, how would one input an address? manually?

No, yes, and either manually, with a qrcode, or possibly first bit.
If you want to join the IRC and discuss this, but don't have an irc client:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#bitclip
Activity: 237
Merit: 100
July 08, 2011, 05:39:54 PM
For Prototyping models use www.shapeways.com, you'll have access to pretty much any materials you might be considering and any prototyping methods. Its great value.

Also would these devices be just for storing wallets? or would they be capable of sending and receiving payments too? if so, how would one input an address? manually?
July 08, 2011, 05:01:58 PM
The first official BitClip IRC congress is in session at #bitclip on freenode
Get in now!
July 08, 2011, 04:05:33 PM
Anybody got any ideas about how I should go about the IRC congress?
July 07, 2011, 06:15:03 PM
Also, added one more thing to the announcement.
July 07, 2011, 06:06:07 PM
Pretty sure you mean July.
Herp Derp. That was my bad there, wasn't thinking straight.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
July 07, 2011, 06:01:49 PM
As it appears that no one wants to help make these, I'm going to change the way I go about this.
What I am going to do is to take the project entirely into my hands.
However, I will host a talk on the new BitClip Freenode IRC channel: #bitclip weekly (or close to) about what is going on in the development of these devices.
The rest of this post will now consist of the formal announcement of the First BitClip IRC Congress.
First BitClip IRC Congress:
Topics of discussion:
- How to go about BitClips
- Official BitClip IRC congress protocol
- Formation of goals of BitClip

How to be in this Congress:
-Be on #bitclip on freenode at 5PM EST, Friday June 8th 2011

Pretty sure you mean July.
July 07, 2011, 05:47:22 PM
Such a device would be great. Count me as a potential client!

A few suggestions:
  • I think you should go for a light-weight client, not a full one.
  • Instead of having a whitelist of bitcoin nodes to connect to, why not connect to any node but behind an anonymisation proxy?

Firstly, the plan on having two models solves this, and it would be easy to just make multiple versions of the OS/Client combo and just ask them which one they want. And another way to go about the problem of possible network attacks against the device would be to have it locked into a VPN, and have the user choose encrypted or unencrypted (for auditing reasons), and have a dynamic list of white-listed nodes (anything that is not know to associate with anything bad, so pretty much all of them).
We will cross that bridge when we come to it (which will probably be the first thing after making the actual OS).
Also, updated the title.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
July 07, 2011, 05:38:40 PM
Such a device would be great. Count me as a potential client!

A few suggestions:
  • I think you should go for a light-weight client, not a full one.
  • Instead of having a whitelist of bitcoin nodes to connect to, why not connect to any node but behind an anonymisation proxy?
July 07, 2011, 05:10:45 PM
As it appears that no one wants to help make these, I'm going to change the way I go about this.
What I am going to do is to take the project entirely into my hands.
However, I will host a talk on the new BitClip Freenode IRC channel: #bitclip weekly (or close to) about what is going on in the development of these devices.
The rest of this post will now consist of the formal announcement of the First BitClip IRC Congress.
First BitClip IRC Congress:
Topics of discussion:
- How to go about BitClips
- Official BitClip IRC congress protocol
- Formation of goals of BitClip
- Project funding

How to be in this Congress:
-Be on #bitclip on freenode at 5PM EST, Friday July 8th 2011
July 07, 2011, 08:08:13 AM
And as for the good source of random numbers, I'm sure we will come up with something if we need it.
Again, I'm not going very far beyond where I currently am on this until more people join.
July 07, 2011, 07:55:48 AM
Its going to run a full custom client. Its still really easy to lock everything out but the list of approved nodes if we use an inclusive method.
Activity: 323
Merit: 250
July 07, 2011, 04:17:55 AM
If you want to build from the ground up, might be worth looking into a crypto chip like this:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/7277

It has built-in hardware ECDSA, which is what bitcoin uses to sign transactions, it has a true random number generator, and it's designed to be secure. If you can do this with a crypto chip, a cheap microprocessor and interface with a mobile phone or computer via bluetooth for an easier GUI, you might be able to get this really cheap and super secure.
The big problem with this is, it is not an arm micro-controller. If I want to port bitcoin to arm, all i have to do is open up linux in an ARM virtual machine and compile it. This would take a lot more.

That's true, you can't run bitcoin on that crypto processor, it's only good for storing, generating and signing. But it appears to be very secure. If you don't use it, you'll have to make sure that you have a good source of random bits. Another question is how much you want this device to do. It could just securely verify, hash and sign transactions that are handed to it, meaning it won't have to run the full bitcoin client, or it could do everything, which means it would need to connect to the internet and require a serious user interface. That would make it a lot more of a challenge to lock down and probably raise the price quite a bit.
July 06, 2011, 10:32:46 PM
If you want to build from the ground up, might be worth looking into a crypto chip like this:

It has built-in hardware ECDSA, which is what bitcoin uses to sign transactions, it has a true random number generator, and it's designed to be secure. If you can do this with a crypto chip, a cheap microprocessor and interface with a mobile phone or computer via bluetooth for an easier GUI, you might be able to get this really cheap and super secure.
The big problem with this is, it is not an arm micro-controller. If I want to port bitcoin to arm, all i have to do is open up linux in an ARM virtual machine and compile it. This would take a lot more.
July 06, 2011, 11:16:01 AM
Kudos on the initiative. I think this is probably the most important bitcoin concept as far as gaining mainstream users. Imagine selling these at walmarts and supermarkets and Best Buys. It's impossible to secure the average joe's computer, so the bitcoin client running on a desktop or laptop will never be safe without something like this, but pick one of these up and you have a stupid-proof secure bitcoin device.

And how would an open source jukebox firmware help me?

The RockBox stuff would let you use one of the inexpensive $25 mp3 players as a platform. They already have displays and input interfaces. For the production version maybe you could get a chinese plant to rebrand an mp3 player.

I'm kinda looking into building from the ground up, the end device will cost a bit more, but that way nobody will be able to drop in and steal your bitcoins jut by plugging something into your device. The arm processor I have selected has a cryptography module in it, so I don't think a chip will be needed.
I was thinking about mainstream users when I though of this. If we can make a $25-$50 device (with a $50-$75 one with an easier interface, for the extremely not technically inclined (a.k.a. they think a *nix is a type of windows)), and make it locked down before it ever gets to them, there is no way they are going to mess it up.
Activity: 323
Merit: 250
July 06, 2011, 11:06:39 AM
Kudos on the initiative. I think this is probably the most important bitcoin concept as far as gaining mainstream users. Imagine selling these at walmarts and supermarkets and Best Buys. It's impossible to secure the average joe's computer, so the bitcoin client running on a desktop or laptop will never be safe without something like this, but pick one of these up and you have a stupid-proof secure bitcoin device.

The RockBox stuff would let you use one of the inexpensive $25 mp3 players as a platform. They already have displays and input interfaces. For the production version maybe you could get a chinese plant to rebrand an mp3 player.

July 06, 2011, 10:53:52 AM
1 ascetics design guy []

This word.  It does not mean what you think it means.  At least I hope it doesn't.

Also, check out RockBox.
I've always been bad at spelling, spell check musta got me, i meant aesthetics.
Edit: Fixed
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
July 06, 2011, 10:30:29 AM
1 ascetics design guy []

This word.  It does not mean what you think it means.  At least I hope it doesn't.

Also, check out RockBox.
July 06, 2011, 10:15:09 AM
I just decided to put what I think this project should do into a little statement:
The purpose of bitclip is to provide secure and easy ways for end users to use bitcoin in conditions such as POS, without excessive risk, involvement, or technical knowledge. BitClip intents to do that by providing cheap devices that would be able to connect to wifi or  other networks, while still being able to provide security and simplicity.

Also iv'e got some sketches for what the devices/device clients look like in my mind coming up soon. I'm not the best at drawing, but they will convey the idea. Still looking for other people to help me do this.
July 03, 2011, 05:30:27 PM
Updated the op with the new donation address
Pages:
Jump to: