Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits - page 8. (Read 262679 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Charities list to go over.

Sent: Mar 7

Hi Dmitry

The Global Peace Initiative Switzerland is a charitable, tax-exempt organization in Switzerland dedicated to promote peace in the world. Since approx. a month we are accepting Bitcoin donations. Here is our donation page (in German): http://www.friedensinitiative.ch/spenden

Can you include us on the Bitcoin 100 Charities list as a non-political, secular charity eligible to receive the Bitcoin equivalent of $1000?

Thank you.

Best wishes
Global Peace Initiative Switzerland

Felix Kaegi

Sent: Mar 28

Dear Mr. Murashchik,

The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is a non-partisan, 501(c)3 organization. As a university-based research center, the Mercatus Center advances knowledge about how markets work to improve people’s lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems. We accept donations in Bitcoin at  http://mercatus.org/donate and would like to take advantage of Bitcoin100’s offer to donate the equivalent of $1000 to charities accepting Bitcoin donations.

Thank you for your consideration. I have attached our IRS letter certifying our nonprofit status.

Best wishes,

Sarah Jenislawski

Sent: Apr 9

Dear Rassah and all of Bitcoin 100,
I currently work for a non-profit organization called More Than A Game that focuses on using soccer to give refugee youth the opportunity to grow in character, leadership, and teamwork through soccer camps, tournaments, and leagues. This summer, we'll be sending a team of soccer coaches over to Iraq to start up a sustainable soccer league in a Syrian refugee camp near Erbil. We recently began accepting BTC as an acceptable way of donating, and I was wondering if Bitcoin 100 would be interested in donating BTC to More Than A Game? Let me know if you are interested or would like more information!

Thanks!

John A. Chau
Outreach Coordinator

Sent: Apr 9

Hello Rassah!

I'm a board member of a non-profit in South Korea.  We coordinate safety and cleaning initiates all over the country for the rock climbing community.  I've recently heard a podcast about the bitcoin 100 on the Ltb network.  I'm very interested in providing bitcoin as a donation option on our website and was curious about the donation promotion your group is currently doing.  The site is KOTRi.org

Please let me know what actions we can take to move forward.

All the best,

Josh Fuller

Sent: May 8

Dear Mr. Rassah,

I was wondering if three organizations that I am involved with, Effective Altruism Switzerland, the Giordano Bruno Foundation and the Foundation Research Institute would be eligible for your program?

None of them currently accept bitcoin. If they begin to accept bitcoin will they be eligible to receive the bitcoin equivalent of $1,000?

Yours sincerely,

Jonas Vollmer

legendary
Hi guys. I'm, uh, back. Sorry I was away for a while. We are seriously short on manpower here. I was out for a few months, dealing with the job transition to Mycelium, attending a few conferences, and traveling, and... nothing at all got done. My fault, since I'm the e-mail point guy, but I need to change that. Anyone else want to join a mailing list so that solicitors can email a bunch of us at the same time, and whoever is free can answer them? (I have 40 e-mails to go through).
We also need someone to go over and verify submitted charities. Things like whois info, when they started accepting bitcoins, if they are an actual charity, etc. I need help guys. I can't do ALL of this all by myself.
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
I has been given the tip about this thread here. Since i wanted to fight free trade agreements like TTIP (with their democracy undermining arbitration courts and following problems for citizens) i searched a political movement that accepts bitcoins and fight TTIP. I found Lobbycontrol eV http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbycontrol which is a not so small NPO fighting lobbying.

I asked them to accept Bitcoins and at the end i helped them setting up a way to donate Bitcoins with bitpay.com. Then i donated a nice amount of coins.

Here is the original thread in german about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=574721.0;all

And here the link for donating bitcoins: https://www.lobbycontrol.de/unterstutzen/bitcoin-spenden/

Anyway... im not sure if the website matches this threads effort but it might be the case.

Thanks!

Nice work, Sebastian!

Ente
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
I has been given the tip about this thread here. Since i wanted to fight free trade agreements like TTIP (with their democracy undermining arbitration courts and following problems for citizens) i searched a political movement that accepts bitcoins and fight TTIP. I found Lobbycontrol eV http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbycontrol which is a not so small NPO fighting lobbying.

I asked them to accept Bitcoins and at the end i helped them setting up a way to donate Bitcoins with bitpay.com. Then i donated a nice amount of coins.

Here is the original thread in german about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=574721.0;all

And here the link for donating bitcoins: https://www.lobbycontrol.de/unterstutzen/bitcoin-spenden/

Anyway... im not sure if the website matches this threads effort but it might be the case.

Thanks!
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Please look at our cause we need help getting things going we need to raise 5 BTC to acquire a license to operate.
http:tones4homes.com

And please look at our Bitcoinstarter project page
https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/854

We are also looking for team members so if anyone wants to be part of the team please contact me and let me know what you can do.
Sincerely
Tones4Homes
qwk
donator
Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411
Shitcoin Minimalist
In effect, this would "make the rich more rich", and small NGOs with little donations receive little..

I guess the readjustment, should that be in the books, is defined by the manpower bitcoin100 has..
Well, the "rich getting richer" is probably outweighed by the opportunity little organizations have to make their donators donate in bitcoin. At least for the moment. But the distribution also doesn't have to linearly match the donations, one could easily find a formula to prefer smaller organizations.

And the manpower issue is a general one for the Bitcoin100, no doubt about that. Unfortunately, I don't have an easy solution for that Wink
legendary
Thank you, Bruno, Rassah and the rest of you, for keeping this up and running!
Absolutely, thanks to you guys.

Is it time for readjusting?
Just an idea I always wanted to see come to life:

1. make charities accept bitcoin over a public address.
2. top all donations toward that particular address with some more bitcoins from our funds, based on the ratio of received donations.

E.g. you have 2 organizations who accept bitcoin donations over addresses 1abc… and 1xyz…
In one month, charity 1abc… receives 6 BTC in donations, charity 1xyz receives 4 BTC in donations.
Out of our funds we donate 1 BTC per month (or some percentage of whatever we have) to all the charities, so 1abc… will receive 0.6 BTC from us and charity 1xyz.. will receive 0.4.

That way, we'd not only incentivize charities to accept bitcoin donations, we would also incentivize them to do so in a very transparent way over a public bitcoin address, which is one of the things I'd like to see from charities anyways. Also, donators would be incentivized to donate bitcoins rather than Euros or Dollars, since that would result in a higher donation from us chipping in.

Well, just an idea and probably a lot of hard work (which I'm definitely not going to do), but what do you think?

I like your thinking!
In effect, this would "make the rich more rich", and small NGOs with little donations receive little..

I guess the readjustment, should that be in the books, is defined by the manpower bitcoin100 has..

Ente
qwk
donator
Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411
Shitcoin Minimalist
Absolutely, thanks to you guys.

Just an idea I always wanted to see come to life:

1. make charities accept bitcoin over a public address.
2. top all donations toward that particular address with some more bitcoins from our funds, based on the ratio of received donations.

E.g. you have 2 organizations who accept bitcoin donations over addresses 1abc… and 1xyz…
In one month, charity 1abc… receives 6 BTC in donations, charity 1xyz receives 4 BTC in donations.
Out of our funds we donate 1 BTC per month (or some percentage of whatever we have) to all the charities, so 1abc… will receive 0.6 BTC from us and charity 1xyz.. will receive 0.4.

That way, we'd not only incentivize charities to accept bitcoin donations, we would also incentivize them to do so in a very transparent way over a public bitcoin address, which is one of the things I'd like to see from charities anyways. Also, donators would be incentivized to donate bitcoins rather than Euros or Dollars, since that would result in a higher donation from us chipping in.

Well, just an idea and probably a lot of hard work (which I'm definitely not going to do), but what do you think?
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
I think this is a legit it looks like there is a program to give Scholarships using Bitcoin
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7079249

Snippet from the page

The Immersive Education Initiative scholarship is a global education scholarship funded entirely through Bitcoin.  [...]

Scholarship Dispersal

Scholarship funds are allocated under two categories:

Professional Development: Funding for teachers, students and budding young entrepreneurs to attend educational conferences, receive training and certification on immersive technologies for education, and enroll in camps, clubs and classes that they could not afford otherwise.

Intellectual Enrichment: Rewards learners of all ages who complete intellectually challenging tasks using educational software as well as using commercial video games and software products that, while not specifically designed for educational purposes, support intellectually challenging and enriching activities (such as Minecraft, Portal, LittleBigPlanet, Civilization, Google Earth & Sky, Scribblenauts).
Activity: 328
Merit: 250
After the excitement and novelty some years ago, now is the time for stamina and commitment.
Thank you for keeping this rolling!

ALso, I noted there seems to be a shift here. The organisations contacting BTC100 often already know Bitcoin, and already love Bitcoin. It does sound like they only hesitate to put a Bitcoin donation option online to first grab that fat donation from BTC100.
It used to be the opposite, us contacting NGOs who never heard of Bitcoin, and providing an incentive to opt in.

Ente

Has anyone considered merging with BitGive?  They are way better at getting publicity.  We obviously can't use the funds the way they do (converting to cash and directly giving cash to charities), but I'm sure some arrangement could be figured out.

I thought my idea to pay Curtis from Bitcoin Bigfoot $100/charity to cold call them and get new signups was really good, and I was kind of surprised that no one else offered to donate.  Perhaps this thread just isn't getting much traffic anymore since it was moved out of the main forum.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
Hey guys, I'm replying to this thread, not because I'm part of a non-profit interested in receiving bitcoin donation, but because I'm interested in creating a non-profit that exclusively manages its accounting with bitcoin (no banks whatsoever, or just a bank account as an intermediate step to convert USD donations to BTC).

Does anyone know any such non-profit that is already operating in this manner? I'd love to know how they handle this, to learn from them on how to manage the paperwork with the government every year properly. Thanks
legendary
After the excitement and novelty some years ago, now is the time for stamina and commitment.
Thank you for keeping this rolling!

ALso, I noted there seems to be a shift here. The organisations contacting BTC100 often already know Bitcoin, and already love Bitcoin. It does sound like they only hesitate to put a Bitcoin donation option online to first grab that fat donation from BTC100.
It used to be the opposite, us contacting NGOs who never heard of Bitcoin, and providing an incentive to opt in.

Ente
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com

Hi Rassah,

Here's a short description of our charity:

Pastoralist Child Foundation's (http://www.pastoralist-child-foundation.org/) mission is to prevent harmful tribal practices in rural Kenya that prevent girls from achieving their full potentials.  Practices such as female genital mutilation (FGM/C) and forced marriages of young girls are still going on. There's a movement of young and old, working together to eradicate these age-old traditions and replace them with alternative rites of passage and access to education for marginalized girls.  We work in Samburu and Maasai Mara, Kenya.  We also provide educational sponsorships (scholarships) to pay for boarding school tuition, exam fees, uniforms, shoes, school supplies, backpacks, medical check-ups, sheets, blankets, pillows, personal toiletries and iron lock boxes for the girls we sponsor.  In addition, we provide community educational workshops on FGM, forced marriage, teen pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, health and sanitation.

We're a registered 501C3 nonprofit charity in the USA. We are saving lives and working to improve life outcomes in marginalized communities. The links to our website and social media are under my signature.

Thank you. We look forward to your response. We'd really like to start accepting Bitcoins and will follow your instructions.

Best regards,

Sayydah Garrett
Founder & President
Pastoralist Child Foundation, Inc.

Unfortunately, due to the info below, this, too, would have to be a no, with apologies.

~Bruno Kucinskas

http://who.godaddy.com/whoisstd.aspx?domain=pastoralist-child-foundation.org&prog_id=GoDaddy

Domain Name: PASTORALIST-CHILD-FOUNDATION.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D166741096-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2013-07-09 17:12:08
Creation Date: 2012-10-02 13:30:22
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2014-10-02 13:30:22
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.480-624-2505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: CR146893944
Registrant Name: Thomas Loloso
Registrant Organization: N/A
Registrant Street: BOX 55555
Registrant City: Nairobi
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code: 00100
Registrant Country: Kenya
Registrant Phone: +254.254721333524
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID: CR146893945
Admin Name: James Waititu
Admin Organization: Mambo Microsystems Limited
Admin Street: BOX 36926
Admin City: Nairobi
Admin State/Province:
Admin Postal Code: 00200
Admin Country: Kenya
Admin Phone: +254.254721333524

https://www.facebook.com/mambo247/posts/10153857196175293?stream_ref=5

.... sorry I seam to be slow but where exactly is the problem? So the organisation that registered the other organisation already accepts bitcoin? How doss this go against any of our rules?
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

Hi Rassah,

Here's a short description of our charity:

Pastoralist Child Foundation's (http://www.pastoralist-child-foundation.org/) mission is to prevent harmful tribal practices in rural Kenya that prevent girls from achieving their full potentials.  Practices such as female genital mutilation (FGM/C) and forced marriages of young girls are still going on. There's a movement of young and old, working together to eradicate these age-old traditions and replace them with alternative rites of passage and access to education for marginalized girls.  We work in Samburu and Maasai Mara, Kenya.  We also provide educational sponsorships (scholarships) to pay for boarding school tuition, exam fees, uniforms, shoes, school supplies, backpacks, medical check-ups, sheets, blankets, pillows, personal toiletries and iron lock boxes for the girls we sponsor.  In addition, we provide community educational workshops on FGM, forced marriage, teen pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, health and sanitation.

We're a registered 501C3 nonprofit charity in the USA. We are saving lives and working to improve life outcomes in marginalized communities. The links to our website and social media are under my signature.

Thank you. We look forward to your response. We'd really like to start accepting Bitcoins and will follow your instructions.

Best regards,

Sayydah Garrett
Founder & President
Pastoralist Child Foundation, Inc.

Unfortunately, due to the info below, this, too, would have to be a no, with apologies.

~Bruno Kucinskas

http://who.godaddy.com/whoisstd.aspx?domain=pastoralist-child-foundation.org&prog_id=GoDaddy

Domain Name: PASTORALIST-CHILD-FOUNDATION.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D166741096-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2013-07-09 17:12:08
Creation Date: 2012-10-02 13:30:22
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2014-10-02 13:30:22
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.480-624-2505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: CR146893944
Registrant Name: Thomas Loloso
Registrant Organization: N/A
Registrant Street: BOX 55555
Registrant City: Nairobi
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code: 00100
Registrant Country: Kenya
Registrant Phone: +254.254721333524
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID: CR146893945
Admin Name: James Waititu
Admin Organization: Mambo Microsystems Limited
Admin Street: BOX 36926
Admin City: Nairobi
Admin State/Province:
Admin Postal Code: 00200
Admin Country: Kenya
Admin Phone: +254.254721333524

https://www.facebook.com/mambo247/posts/10153857196175293?stream_ref=5

legendary

Hi!

I run a not for profit and we accept bit coins. Please see

http://singmeastory.org/donate

We would love a donation of $1000. Thank you so much!

We started accepting Bitcoin in December. One of my closest friends gave me a bit coin for our wedding in October and insisted I learn more about it and allow our org to accept bit coin. We did Smiley He then sent me a note the other day letting me know about you all.

Let me know if ya'll need anything from us. Thank you so much for what you are doing. Bitcoin rocks.

No.

Although Austin now uses a Houston address, an address in Nashville he's associated changed hands, and both the seller and buyers of said home are bitcoiners. That other person is in the travel industry, and I even found a blog showcasing said travel concern that accepts bitcoins.

We apologize.

~Bruno Kucinskas
legendary
Hi Dmitry,

I am currently working with The Peer Project - Youth Assisting Youth (YAY) a registered charity located in Toronto, Ontario. We are very interested in accepting Bitcoin donations. The organizations web address is http://www.yay.org.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Heather Dougherty | Hype Girl Enterprises

Took a little time on this one, but yay.org looks fine, Rassah.

~Bruno Kucinskas
legendary
Hello Rasah and Phineus,

I had PM'd Rasah regarding a nomination for my medical school, to which he asked me to post on here. I'm a student at The Commonwealth Medical College in Scranton, PA and have been pretty fascinated with the Bitcoin concept over the past few months now. I apologize if this note is a bit long, but I figured the more informative it is the better idea your organization may have in addressing my request.

My school is pretty young and has been open for only around 6 years now. It was founded almost only to address the largely unnoticed (nationally) but very significant healthcare gap/physician shortage in northeastern PA (NEPA). The school's mission statement, classes, and massive ongoing community outreach programs (many of which are integrated into our curriculum also) are all ultimately structured to address the needs of NEPA's population. In my few 6 months here, things like free health care fairs (screenings for multiple chronic conditions, free flu shots, education, etc.), educating regional Boy Scouts on various first aid situations/techniques, free symposiums hosting reputed clinicians and researchers on chronic conditions that are more prevalent in the region (e.g. geriatric care), inviting local farmers and fresh food entrepreneurs to share ideas and products that may promote healthier lifestyles for the community, raising funds/awareness through fundraisers and tournaments, conducting/publishing research alongside local health care partners, and constantly holding events to raise funds/goods for local charities are just a few of the ideas I've seen the few hundred students on campus create, lead, and be a part of, solely in the spirit of volunteerism.

The great effort by the school and its faculty to foster an education that holds these community ideals can be seen in our school's mission statement:

http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/values

From my understanding after reading other posts and information on your site, Bitcoin100's mission seems to be to increase the use/awareness of BTC by charities more so than just donating to any specific cause. Currently our school's donation page has listed many ways for people to donate, but if Bitcoin100 would be willing, I am willing to go to whatever lengths it takes to speak to the administration regarding adding BTC as another form of donation to this page:

http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/oth/Page.asp?PageID=OTH000811

Personally, the cause I wish to use your donation is with a church here directly next to our school that takes a bigger lead on helping a lot of the homeless and long-term unemployed in the city, and currently they are accepting item donations to help families/people that need it. Our school is also helping them in this cause. Being from Washington D.C., I was pretty taken back when I moved here last summer by the toll the economy has taken on this city...something D.C. has sort of been shielded from. I've seen my share of homeless in bigger metropolises (even in India as I'm from India), but seeing such a large homeless and unemployed population in a small city like this is pretty alarming...especially considering how brutal this winter has been.

I've been trying to raise awareness and whatever funds I can, and recently thought of trying to raise BTC for the purpose as well. A flyer our school is running for the church I've uploaded here:

http://s17.postimg.org/qjs8c6lvj/20140221_173054.jpg

In terms of raising BTC awareness, I know through a donation I could definitely make sure that Bitcoin100 is recognized at the medical school and at the church, but I'm not sure if that would be enough for what you require. Although donating to an institution may seem a bit unique, as a student (who is significantly in student loan debt) I assure you that if donations are made for any specific use, such as towards the fundraiser I am trying to raise funds for, they will be used for that purpose and by a student/faculty body that truly does have the knowledge, experience, and passion to make legitimate differences in peoples' lives.

I'm looking forward to your comments/thoughts on whether you would be willing to make a donation towards my efforts. Thank you for your time and your site's efforts that I'm sure have made an impact globally. Feel free to PM me with any questions as well.

Although your cause seems noble, Bitcoin 100 has a strict secular clause that would make us unable to donate to your endeavor. We apologize.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Activity: 328
Merit: 250
Folks, I was talking to the founder of BitcoinBigfoot about our problem with giving away money.  He has tons of experience with direct sales and cold calling people, and he says if we offer him an incentive of $100 per charity signup, he could get all our money given away pretty quickly.

Obviously, we can't use any of the bitcoin100 funds for the incentive, so we need to raise new money for that.  I will contribute $500.  At current exchange rates, we would need to raise $6300 to get it all donated.  Who else is in?  What are your thoughts on this plan?
legendary
I came across this charity run by university students in NZ - 100Percent.org.nz

They provide a platform for students to sign up & offer tutoring services, with 100% of fees earned going out to the tutors' charity of choice.
The site retains none of the revenue, and hence is dependent on donations to fund their operations and ongoing developments.
Their Donations Page already has a Bitcoin address. Sounds like they are a good charity to support.

Seems legit to me. Added.

Great! Is there anything else they have to do to receive the donation?

Bitcoin100 is set up to convince charities to accept bitcoin. This charity is already accepting bitcoin, so they may not qualify. How long ago did they add the bitcoin donation option?
Activity: 270
Merit: 130
DeLouvois.com Bitcoin Luxury Marketplace Est. 2016
nice and clean site, do you have french npo in your subscribers already ?
Pages:
Jump to: