Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits - page 7. (Read 262679 times)

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
Dear Rassah and all of Bitcoin 100,
I currently work for a non-profit organization called More Than A Game that focuses on using soccer to give refugee youth the opportunity to grow in character, leadership, and teamwork through soccer camps, tournaments, and leagues.

Looks like a classic charity. They seem to use football to first make competitions to collect money and second use football to better the life of refugees by having fun.

Does this mean you approve?

I only now saw that cbn named it the "christian ministry more than a game". Im not sure it that is a KO since it doesnt really look like religion is involved. Though still... religions donate nicely and most probably would do so for this project anyway too.

In case its not a ko:
The website seems to be registered since 2011 and the google search results look good so far. They have a project at bitcoinstarter https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/671 and google shows indexed links from 2011 that match the urls and content from the actual website. I find mentioning of projects of them on cbn (christian broadcast network, seems to be a big news network). No wikientry so far and i dont find more official info about them. There are other things with that name fighting cancer or fund athletics but they seem differently.

It looks good to me that its not newly created and it seems to be a classic NPO to help kids in special. Only it runs under "christian" for some reason. Maybe because they get donations then from christian community.

Yes, BIG help. Thank you!

Thanks... pleasure if i could help...

I has been given the tip about this thread here. Since i wanted to fight free trade agreements like TTIP (with their democracy undermining arbitration courts and following problems for citizens) i searched a political movement that accepts bitcoins and fight TTIP. I found Lobbycontrol eV http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbycontrol which is a not so small NPO fighting lobbying.

I asked them to accept Bitcoins and at the end i helped them setting up a way to donate Bitcoins with bitpay.com. Then i donated a nice amount of coins.

Here is the original thread in german about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=574721.0;all

And here the link for donating bitcoins: https://www.lobbycontrol.de/unterstutzen/bitcoin-spenden/

Anyway... im not sure if the website matches this threads effort but it might be the case.

Thanks!

Seems kind of political. I'll have to investigate.

It is political but not in a way as its connected to a party. Its a movement that tries to lay open lobbying. For example companies that pay politicians or send lobbyist to have more influence on them than the normal people. I would say its a NPO that tries to help the normal people by fighting the influence of big money on political decisions because those decision too often hurt the normal people. Im not sure if the political character already is a stop-sign. At the end people that try to make things better for people often end up being somewhat political since trying to change politics is mostly better than only to fix the errors resulting from bad politics.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
I came across this charity run by university students in NZ - 100Percent.org.nz

They provide a platform for students to sign up & offer tutoring services, with 100% of fees earned going out to the tutors' charity of choice.
The site retains none of the revenue, and hence is dependent on donations to fund their operations and ongoing developments.
Their Donations Page already has a Bitcoin address. Sounds like they are a good charity to support.

Seems legit to me. Added.

Thank you so much for adding 100Percent to the list of charities in Bitcoin100. We really appreciate it. I was just wondering if there was anything we needed to do in order to receive the Bitcoins?

Hi Crystal. I don't remember if I asked, but when did that site start accepting bitcoins?
legendary

Sent: Mar 7

Hi Dmitry

The Global Peace Initiative Switzerland is a charitable, tax-exempt organization in Switzerland dedicated to promote peace in the world. Since approx. a month we are accepting Bitcoin donations. Here is our donation page (in German): http://www.friedensinitiative.ch/spenden

Im not sure if this is religious. They claim they use the money to teach persons the peace techniques that came from a yogi. It sounds partly like it could be done to build persons that might help bring peace? somehow. But objectively it sounds like a school for teaching religious lessons from a sacred book. Im not sure what the result of such a peace tech pupil would be.

I think "spiritual teachings" is kinda the same as religious, but that's me. It may be best to be cautious with this one.

The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is a non-partisan, 501(c)3 organization. As a university-based research center, the Mercatus Center advances knowledge about how markets work to improve people’s lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.

It seems to be a (online?) university. Donating of course might help better the life of people like education will always do.

They are here in DC, and I have attended some of their meetings. They basically put on free panels and seminars about economic... things... including one where they did a whole presentation on what is bitcoin and how it can affect the global economy. Most of the attendees were their own students, but they post research and information to the public on the web and other places too. I guess think of them as a research arm of the university that does "awareness education" about economics issues.

I currently work for a non-profit organization called More Than A Game that focuses on using soccer to give refugee youth the opportunity to grow in character, leadership, and teamwork through soccer camps, tournaments, and leagues.

Looks like a classic charity. They seem to use football to first make competitions to collect money and second use football to better the life of refugees by having fun.

Does this mean you approve?

Hello Rassah!

I'm a board member of a non-profit in South Korea.  We coordinate safety and cleaning initiates all over the country for the rock climbing community.  I've recently heard a podcast about the bitcoin 100 on the Ltb network.  I'm very interested in providing bitcoin as a donation option on our website and was curious about the donation promotion your group is currently doing.  The site is KOTRi.org

The website is rather simple but it looks like they try to make climbing safer? They donate workpower to clean walls, recreate the wall for being safer and donate money to victims of climbing.

I only found other mentions of the website at the usual internet marketer promotion ways but nothing like wikipedia, bigger newspages or something.

Bruno (Phinneas Gage) used to check their domain WHOIS info to make sure that they have been around for a while, and their archives on https://archive.org/web/ to make sure they haven't been accepting bitcoin recently, and that they didn't just come up recently too. Not sure what else he did. I may have to dedicate a ton of time to this to clear the queue too...

I was wondering if three organizations that I am involved with, Effective Altruism Switzerland, the Giordano Bruno Foundation and the Foundation Research Institute would be eligible for your program?

None of them currently accept bitcoin. If they begin to accept bitcoin will they be eligible to receive the bitcoin equivalent of $1,000?

The first url http://effectivealtruism.ch is a pretty simple website. There is a movement effective altruism but it has a different url and is mentioned with it on wikipedia. So i dont know if this site here is real or only tries to mimic another project.

The domain http://www.giordano-bruno-stiftung.de seems real and tries to be a lobby for non religious people by spreading ideas of humanism and so on. They are religious critics it seems. At least they critizice that religious projects are paid by the state too and such things.

The domain is mentioned on wikipedia so the project seems real.

http://foundational-research.org
I didnt found the url widely used, the website looks easy but it seems the articles are unique.

Seems to be about humanism again. They try to think about how to better the life of people. Or stop suffering at least.

Ditto for hese with WHOIS and such. Yes, BIG help. Thank you!
legendary
I has been given the tip about this thread here. Since i wanted to fight free trade agreements like TTIP (with their democracy undermining arbitration courts and following problems for citizens) i searched a political movement that accepts bitcoins and fight TTIP. I found Lobbycontrol eV http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbycontrol which is a not so small NPO fighting lobbying.

I asked them to accept Bitcoins and at the end i helped them setting up a way to donate Bitcoins with bitpay.com. Then i donated a nice amount of coins.

Here is the original thread in german about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=574721.0;all

And here the link for donating bitcoins: https://www.lobbycontrol.de/unterstutzen/bitcoin-spenden/

Anyway... im not sure if the website matches this threads effort but it might be the case.

Thanks!

Seems kind of political. I'll have to investigate.

Global Peace Initiative Switzerland looks like a more-or-less religious organization, not at all secular. Doesn't qualify IMHO.

Agreed.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
I came across this charity run by university students in NZ - 100Percent.org.nz

They provide a platform for students to sign up & offer tutoring services, with 100% of fees earned going out to the tutors' charity of choice.
The site retains none of the revenue, and hence is dependent on donations to fund their operations and ongoing developments.
Their Donations Page already has a Bitcoin address. Sounds like they are a good charity to support.

Seems legit to me. Added.

Thank you so much for adding 100Percent to the list of charities in Bitcoin100. We really appreciate it. I was just wondering if there was anything we needed to do in order to receive the Bitcoins?
legendary
Great to see you dig into this, Sebastian!

And yes, you are absolutely right, BTC100 deserves some press publicity for all there was already achieved.

Ente

Not only that it deserves it... it would serve as proof that the coins reach the correct target too. Side effect would be bitcoins in the news. Dogecoin was very very successful with this.
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
Great to see you dig into this, Sebastian!

And yes, you are absolutely right, BTC100 deserves some press publicity for all there was already achieved.

Ente
legendary
Charities list to go over.

Hi Dmitry

The Global Peace Initiative Switzerland is a charitable, tax-exempt organization in Switzerland dedicated to promote peace in the world. Since approx. a month we are accepting Bitcoin donations. Here is our donation page (in German): http://www.friedensinitiative.ch/spenden

Can you include us on the Bitcoin 100 Charities list as a non-political, secular charity eligible to receive the Bitcoin equivalent of $1000?

Thank you.

Best wishes
Global Peace Initiative Switzerland

Felix Kaegi

Im not sure if this is religious. They claim they use the money to teach persons the peace techniques that came from a yogi. It sounds partly like it could be done to build persons that might help bring peace? somehow. But objectively it sounds like a school for teaching religious lessons from a sacred book. Im not sure what the result of such a peace tech pupil would be.

Sent: Mar 28

Dear Mr. Murashchik,

The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is a non-partisan, 501(c)3 organization. As a university-based research center, the Mercatus Center advances knowledge about how markets work to improve people’s lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems. We accept donations in Bitcoin at  http://mercatus.org/donate and would like to take advantage of Bitcoin100’s offer to donate the equivalent of $1000 to charities accepting Bitcoin donations.

Thank you for your consideration. I have attached our IRS letter certifying our nonprofit status.

Best wishes,

Sarah Jenislawski

It seems to be a (online?) university. Donating of course might help better the life of people like education will always do.

The difference seems to be that they try to "The Mercatus Center is a university-based research center dedicated to bridging the gap between academic research and public policy problems."

"The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems."

Sent: Apr 9

I currently work for a non-profit organization called More Than A Game that focuses on using soccer to give refugee youth the opportunity to grow in character, leadership, and teamwork through soccer camps, tournaments, and leagues. This summer, we'll be sending a team of soccer coaches over to Iraq to start up a sustainable soccer league in a Syrian refugee camp near Erbil. We recently began accepting BTC as an acceptable way of donating, and I was wondering if Bitcoin 100 would be interested in donating BTC to More Than A Game? Let me know if you are interested or would like more information!

Thanks!

John A. Chau
Outreach Coordinator

Sent: Apr 9

Hello Rassah!

I'm a board member of a non-profit in South Korea.  We coordinate safety and cleaning initiates all over the country for the rock climbing community.  I've recently heard a podcast about the bitcoin 100 on the Ltb network.  I'm very interested in providing bitcoin as a donation option on our website and was curious about the donation promotion your group is currently doing.  The site is KOTRi.org

Please let me know what actions we can take to move forward.

All the best,

Josh Fuller

The website is rather simple but it looks like they try to make climbing safer? They donate workpower to clean walls, recreate the wall for being safer and donate money to victims of climbing.

I only found other mentions of the website at the usual internet marketer promotion ways but nothing like wikipedia, bigger newspages or something.

Sent: May 8

Dear Mr. Rassah,

I was wondering if three organizations that I am involved with, Effective Altruism Switzerland, the Giordano Bruno Foundation and the Foundation Research Institute would be eligible for your program?

None of them currently accept bitcoin. If they begin to accept bitcoin will they be eligible to receive the bitcoin equivalent of $1,000?

Yours sincerely,

Jonas Vollmer

The first url http://effectivealtruism.ch is a pretty simple website. There is a movement effective altruism but it has a different url and is mentioned with it on wikipedia. So i dont know if this site here is real or only tries to mimic another project.

The domain http://www.giordano-bruno-stiftung.de seems real and tries to be a lobby for non religious people by spreading ideas of humanism and so on. They are religious critics it seems. At least they critizice that religious projects are paid by the state too and such things.

The domain is mentioned on wikipedia so the project seems real.

http://foundational-research.org
I didnt found the url widely used, the website looks easy but it seems the articles are unique.

Seems to be about humanism again. They try to think about how to better the life of people. Or stop suffering at least.

Let me know if those opinions are worth anything or if you look for something different.
legendary
Wow, thats great... I never thought such a high amount would be donated already...

So is there a list of NPOs that might get a donation in the future so that i can see if the NPO i suggested matches the criteria?

Those are frequently posted here, mostly by Rassah.
Commenting on those is highly appreciated. BTC100 needs manpower the most, now.

Ente

I checked his last posts and i only found a post where he asked for opinions about newly suggested NPOs.

So after comments came in there must be a list of NPOs that didnt yet receive donations but will get donations in the future. Is there a public list of that?

By the way... so many donations sent... i would await a couple of press releases mentioning it. Though the press-tab on bitcoin100 only shows news about projects accepting bitcoins. Is there a list of news mentioning those donations? They arent small and Bitcoin100 seems to be partly a bitcoin advertising project too.
legendary
Wow, thats great... I never thought such a high amount would be donated already...

So is there a list of NPOs that might get a donation in the future so that i can see if the NPO i suggested matches the criteria?

Those are frequently posted here, mostly by Rassah.
Commenting on those is highly appreciated. BTC100 needs manpower the most, now.

Ente
legendary
I checked the first post but its not really informing. I see the list of donators, ok but no list of accepted NPOs.

And did only 4 NPOs currently receive donations? 100BTC each? Why such a high threshold? Its $63000 each. I wonder if it needs to be such a high threshold.

So wheres the list of accepted NPOs that will receive donations in the future?

More current info can be found at http://bitcoin100.org

Thanks... so its really a huge list of NPOs that most probably never will get a donation because for some reason the donation has to be that high. I think more good could be done with many smaller donations but thats not up to me.

I would have asked if a political movement trying to fight lobbying, which in most cases lead to people living a worse life, matches the list criteria but when i see the amount of NPOs in the queue it looks like it doesnt matter anyway. Wink

Every charity with a "BTC100" checkmark at http://bitcoin100.org/charities/ has received a donation from Bitcoin100. The checkmark png links to the transaction at blockchain.info.

From the front page:

Bitcoin100 donates the Bitcoin equivalent of $1000

edd
donator
Activity: 1414
I checked the first post but its not really informing. I see the list of donators, ok but no list of accepted NPOs.

And did only 4 NPOs currently receive donations? 100BTC each? Why such a high threshold? Its $63000 each. I wonder if it needs to be such a high threshold.

Thanks... so its really a huge list of NPOs that most probably never will get a donation because for some reason the donation has to be that high. I think more good could be done with many smaller donations but thats not up to me.

I would have asked if a political movement trying to fight lobbying, which in most cases lead to people living a worse life, matches the list criteria but when i see the amount of NPOs in the queue it looks like it doesnt matter anyway. Wink

Every charity with a "BTC100" checkmark at http://bitcoin100.org/charities/ has received a donation from Bitcoin100. The checkmark png links to the transaction at blockchain.info.

From the front page:

Bitcoin100 donates the Bitcoin equivalent of $1000
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)

Well, yes, it does matter, because those were the rules when most of the funds were donated to BTC100..
So it doesn't really matter if the charity in question is "good" or "bad", it'#s just that the funds can't be spent if they are religious, among other points.

Ente

Thanks Ente must have missed that criteria.
edd
donator
Activity: 1414

legendary

legendary
Global Peace Initiative Switzerland looks like a more-or-less religious organization, not at all secular. Doesn't qualify IMHO.

Does it really matter if its religious or secular were looking at charities that provide a service to people not what denomination they are a part of.
Unless they are for-profit which does not seem to be the case here.

Found additional info
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Global+Peace+Initiative+Switzerland
https://www.facebook.com/Friedensinitiative/info

Hmm that said religious concerns aside seems to be about meditation and The Scientific Creation of World Peace
http://www.vedicpandits.org/

---
Think I agree with qwk though about its qualification but it does accept Bitcoin and that's what the Bitcoin 100 is about.

Well, yes, it does matter, because those were the rules when most of the funds were donated to BTC100..
So it doesn't really matter if the charity in question is "good" or "bad", it'#s just that the funds can't be spent if they are religious, among other points.

Ente
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)

Does it really matter if its religious or secular were looking at charities that provide a service to people not what denomination they are a part of.
Unless they are for-profit which does not seem to be the case here.

Found additional info
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Global+Peace+Initiative+Switzerland
https://www.facebook.com/Friedensinitiative/info

Hmm that said religious concerns aside seems to be about meditation and The Scientific Creation of World Peace
http://www.vedicpandits.org/

---
Think I agree with qwk though about its qualification but it does accept Bitcoin and that's what the Bitcoin 100 is about.
qwk
donator
Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411
Shitcoin Minimalist

Hi Dmitry

Can you include us on the Bitcoin 100 Charities list as a non-political, secular charity eligible to receive the Bitcoin equivalent of $1000?

Thank you.

Best wishes
Global Peace Initiative Switzerland

Felix Kaegi
legendary
Anyone up to creating a Bitcoin100 banner?

Sent: May 13

Hi Rassah,

The new LTB site is up and we'd like to include a banner for Bitcoin100 in our charity spot rotation. The banner will be displayed on our main page and needs to be 155 pixels x 155 pixels.

Send it on over when you have a chance!

Thanks & Best,
Pages:
Jump to: