Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin - page 6. (Read 8891 times)

legendary
Activity: 1023
Merit: 1000
ltex.nl
February 20, 2014, 04:47:22 PM
Auroracoin does not sound like a coin desiring world wide acceptance.

Giving free coins to Icelanders is very nice but  does nothing to endear itself to the global community.  

I consider this coin as an experiment. If it doesn't work in Iceland, it'll probably work nowhere.

Which is exactly why we (as supporters of crypto) need to put in some effort to make this work  Grin

I'm still missing the point of what makes this "the most exciting altcoin of 2014". Please enlighten me.

50% premined for the residents of Iceland fails to excite me.  What else makes this coin worthy of investment for *outsiders*? 

Make me an honorary Icelander and give me some free coins and I'll jump onboard ... Wink

The excitement (at least for me) lies within the opportunity to get it right for once. Not only with cryptocurrency, but also with an entire economy that adapts it. When you look into the potential Iceland has to make this work, you automatically get drawn into its prophecy...
Activity: 840
Merit: 255
SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes
February 20, 2014, 04:45:44 PM
Unless this coin is released by Icelandic devs and supporters, you guys don't see a problem of foreigners feeling entitled to replace the currency of Iceland?

You also don't see a problem of foreigners pumping-and-dumping a national currency on an exchange? Also, who said Icelanders want to get rid of the government they elected?
Auroracoin gives them CHOICE.  If they choose not to adopt it, that's fine.  If they like the idea and utilize it, fantastic.  

As for foreigners trading others' currency, it is done to the tune of trillions of dollars a day on the forex markets.

And nobody ever said anything about getting rid of their government.
So, you don't see the irony, neither you're interested in directly addressing the points?

Very well. Let's hope this is INDEED the best for Icelanders, not a "rat's lab" experiment.
Activity: 854
February 20, 2014, 04:22:18 PM
Unless this coin is released by Icelandic devs and supporters, you guys don't see a problem of foreigners feeling entitled to replace the currency of Iceland?

You also don't see a problem of foreigners pumping-and-dumping a national currency on an exchange? Also, who said Icelanders want to get rid of the government they elected?
Auroracoin gives them CHOICE.  If they choose not to adopt it, that's fine.  If they like the idea and utilize it, fantastic. 

As for foreigners trading others' currency, it is done to the tune of trillions of dollars a day on the forex markets.

And nobody ever said anything about getting rid of their government.
February 20, 2014, 04:20:20 PM

Giving free coins to Icelanders is very nice but  does nothing to endear itself to the global community.  

I consider this coin as an experiment. If it doesn't work in Iceland, it'll probably work nowhere.

Which is exactly why we (as supporters of crypto) need to put in some effort to make this work  Grin

I'm still missing the point of what makes this "the most exciting altcoin of 2014". Please enlighten me.

50% premined for the residents of Iceland fails to excite me.  What else makes this coin worthy of investment for *outsiders*?  

Make me an honorary Icelander and give me some free coins and I'll jump onboard ... Wink
Exciting doesn't always mean you get to profit.  I personally find the potential of a country adopting a cryptocurrency extremely exciting for a plethora of reasons.
legendary
Activity: 1090
February 20, 2014, 04:14:07 PM

50% premined for the residents of Iceland fails to excite me.  What else makes this coin worthy of investment for *outsiders*? 

legendary
ltex.nl
February 20, 2014, 03:39:19 PM

Activity: 840
Merit: 255
SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes
February 20, 2014, 03:32:52 PM

legendary
ltex.nl
February 20, 2014, 03:29:41 PM
thats it? no innovation?

Inovation doen't always come from technology my friend. In this case the innovation lies within the implementation within a wisely chosen and targeted economy.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
February 20, 2014, 03:15:53 PM

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.
February 20, 2014, 03:09:27 PM
Does this coin have a website?
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
February 20, 2014, 03:06:57 PM
thats it? no innovation?
legendary
ltex.nl
February 20, 2014, 03:05:23 PM
Iclander here.

When I read about Bitcoin in 2011 I was very excited to try this new technology and anxious to go buy some Bitcoins right away.
I optimistically registered an account at mtgox and looked at every possible way to get my ISK to the exchange. After a while I gave up, the reason being that it was, and still is, illegal to transfer any amount of money from the country without a probable cause or a plane ticket.
So in a sense buying Bitcoins is illegal in Iceland do to capital controls.

When Auroracoin popped up, at first I thought to myself, hah, an "Icelandic" coin!.. how unexacting. But when I read about the airdrop I soon realised it actually could be the start of something revolutionary.

It will be very interesting to see how this experiment plays out. I hope, at the very least, people and media here in Iceland start talking about the use of crypto currencies, not just the price.

I am currently writing an article about crypto currencies in Icelandic to explain this new technology in simple terms and highlight the potential benefits of cryptocurrencies for the economy.

Regarding the development of Auroracoin, I will soon post a bounty thread on http://forum.auroracoin.org/ with a list of potential projects for Auroracoin. We need get some community momentum going and start developing and advertising.

-Joi

Welcome Joi! As one of the serious backers of this coin I invite you to join our discussion on aurora coin.org http://forum.auroracoin.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29. We could definitely use some natives on our team  Grin
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
February 19, 2014, 10:55:45 PM
Guess what would happen to the price of Gold if you gave everyone 100 oz of Gold? 

I'll give you a clue, it goes badly.
Activity: 14
February 19, 2014, 10:25:45 PM
If there's any country this idea could work, it's in Iceland. Even BBC covered this a few weeks ago. Not sure why it's still under the radar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26083733
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.
February 19, 2014, 10:24:43 PM
Iceland is the perfect country for this project.
Activity: 10
February 19, 2014, 10:10:12 PM
Iclander here.

When I read about Bitcoin in 2011 I was very excited to try this new technology and anxious to go buy some Bitcoins right away.
I optimistically registered an account at mtgox and looked at every possible way to get my ISK to the exchange. After a while I gave up, the reason being that it was, and still is, illegal to transfer any amount of money from the country without a probable cause or a plane ticket.
So in a sense buying Bitcoins is illegal in Iceland do to capital controls.

When Auroracoin popped up, at first I thought to myself, hah, an "Icelandic" coin!.. how unexacting. But when I read about the airdrop I soon realised it actually could be the start of something revolutionary.

It will be very interesting to see how this experiment plays out. I hope, at the very least, people and media here in Iceland start talking about the use of crypto currencies, not just the price.

I am currently writing an article about crypto currencies in Icelandic to explain this new technology in simple terms and highlight the potential benefits of cryptocurrencies for the economy.

Regarding the development of Auroracoin, I will soon post a bounty thread on http://forum.auroracoin.org/ with a list of potential projects for Auroracoin. We need get some community momentum going and start developing and advertising.

-Joi

February 19, 2014, 05:48:22 PM

I don't think Auroracoin is so much looking for worldwide adoption, but instead change the economic landscape of Iceland itself.  Those that are looking for profit would likely do exactly that if it was indeed widely accepted in Iceland.

I wish Auroracoin the best. If it can exist and thrive in a very small ecosystem of 330,000 people; more power to it. Its all good.
The thing is, no currency except hyper-local currencies only exist in a small ecosystem.  The Icelandic Krona is currently traded all over the world.
legendary
February 19, 2014, 04:07:27 PM

I don't think Auroracoin is so much looking for worldwide adoption, but instead change the economic landscape of Iceland itself.  Those that are looking for profit would likely do exactly that if it was indeed widely accepted in Iceland.

I wish Auroracoin the best. If it can exist and thrive in a very small ecosystem of 330,000 people; more power to it. Its all good.
February 19, 2014, 03:31:37 PM

legendary
February 19, 2014, 02:54:33 PM

Free coins to a poor country may have sparked global interest. http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/world/poorest-countries-in-the-world/
Pages:
Jump to: