Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin and gold hoarders - page 2. (Read 2595 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003
February 04, 2013, 04:03:15 AM
OP:

Your points are all correct. Unfortunately, people can be thick.

Goldbugs *should* appreciate bitcoin for all the reasons they ostensibly appreciate gold, PLUS all the reasons that bitcoin is uniquely good. Thus, goldbugs should be easy converts. Thus, phrasing up bitcoin as "better gold" or "electronic gold" is a useful mental bridge (in my own experience, anyway).

It should indeed be easier for people to process new information correctly, but unfortunately it can be tough. People need the relation to things with which they're already very familiar.
legendary
Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000
We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
February 04, 2013, 04:00:15 AM
When I see someone rocking a big chain made of Bitcoins then I will  say gold is pointless.

Until then, embrace gold. Bitcoin is awesome, but gold is timeless.
Activity: 547
Merit: 500
Decor in numeris
February 04, 2013, 03:24:07 AM
Is gold and silver really a necessary mental stepping stone for bitcoin?  Am I just to sensitive to the libertarian stereotype?  Is there anyone else out there who mentally scoffs at people who think of gold and silver as some standard of perfection or desirable end state?
I think it is quite normal to feel a bit uneasy about the ultra-libertarian stereotype often promoted in these forums Smiley

And no, gold and silver are not necessary mental stepping stones for bitcoin.  Fascination with cryptography is a good alternative.  Gold is just too damn impractical.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
February 03, 2013, 09:57:35 PM
Gold has history, is limited by demand and supply in the market, and can be used in person to person exchange without digital technology.

… if you are into tungsten.

@OP: I agree the slogan of the sticker is a bit weird. Too bad. Cool idea to get promotional material distributed. Too bad it doesn't reach the right people.

Yep, historically, gold has been difficult to counterfeit, as there have been no metal as heavy as gold and less valuable. This is now changed with Wolfram (tungsten). It is about the same specific weight as gold, but it is far cheaper. We have all seen reports of the gold bar with wolfram rods inserted. But I have not seen any reports on fake gold coins in the wild. Have they been spotted?

yes:  http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-09-24/get-your-fake-tungsten-filled-gold-coins-here
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
February 03, 2013, 09:25:02 PM
Gold and silver have been used for 5000+ years...

I think it's a bit naive to suddenly throw these proven forms of money out the window, even given an alternative as exciting as Bitcoin.

Besides, both of these forms of money has its benefits, and both are economically sound.

Divisibility, Transaction Ease = BTC

Global Recognition, Independent of Electricity = Precious Metals
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
February 03, 2013, 09:18:06 PM
Gold has history, is limited by demand and supply in the market, and can be used in person to person exchange without digital technology.

@OP: I agree the slogan of the sticker is a bit weird. Too bad. Cool idea to get promotional material distributed. Too bad it doesn't reach the right people.

Yep, historically, gold has been difficult to counterfeit, as there have been no metal as heavy as gold and less valuable. This is now changed with Wolfram (tungsten). It is about the same specific weight as gold, but it is far cheaper. We have all seen reports of the gold bar with wolfram rods inserted. But I have not seen any reports on fake gold coins in the wild. Have they been spotted?
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
February 03, 2013, 08:50:40 PM

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
February 03, 2013, 08:33:47 PM
donator
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
Swimming in a sea of data
February 03, 2013, 08:17:04 PM
I only have a problem with people who think gold and silver are the only forms of good money.  Good point about not being sure about the authenticity of gold and silver pieces.  As far as being a libertarian nutter, I have no idea what a libertarian is.  I also have no idea what liberals and conservatives are, or what the colors red and blue stand for.  The political language has been so overused and misused that there is really no meaning in anything anymore.  Just don't put any bumper stickers on your car, and you'll be just fine.   Cool
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
Numisalis - Physical Tradable Bitcoin
February 03, 2013, 07:23:04 PM
I recently purchased some Casascius coins and with my order I was sent a magnetized bumper sticker that says "I believe in honest money.  Gold, Silver, and Bitcoin".  While that is awesome because hey, free bumper sticker, I will never put that on my car.  I would absolutely put something about Bitcoin on my car but for some reason it really bothers me to have the association with gold and silver.  I think it boils down to a few things:

1. Gold and silver are boring as crap.  They are a cumbersome burden hard to transfer and divide.
2. Bitcoin is levels more "honest" than gold and silver.  No transparency on total supply.  You have to trust a distributor or minter that you are getting the product you think you are.  Bitcoin is pure as math.
3. Calling gold and silver "honest" money makes me sound like a libertarian nutter.

Before people get bent out of shape, I definitely identify with many libertarian values, but either you know or are someone who goes a bit off the deep end with it.  Those people are also the ones whose only knowledge of libertarianism seems to involve gold and private property and how the government should keep their hands off of both because that is all they ever talk about.

Is gold and silver really a necessary mental stepping stone for bitcoin?  Am I just to sensitive to the libertarian stereotype?  Is there anyone else out there who mentally scoffs at people who think of gold and silver as some standard of perfection or desirable end state?
Pages:
Jump to: