Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin arbitrage, pros and cons, experience and profitability - page 8. (Read 20573 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

Hey guys,

I have been involved in Bitcoin arbitrage for several months now and it has been quite profitable. For those of you unaware how this works, arbitrage is the process of taking advantage of BTC price difference between BTC exchanges. In other words, purchasing Bitcoins on the exchange with the lower price, and re-selling those same coins on another exchange and profiting through the difference.

I did some arbitrage on my own  last year when there was a huge spread between Mtgox and Bitstamp Bitcoin prices, in some cases between 5-10%. The main problem was how to move BTC and/or fiat between different exchanges and the fact that in order to reduce the arbitrage risk to a minimum one needs to be able to buy BTC on an exchange with low price while selling the same amount of BTC on another exchange with high price AT THE SAME TIME. Recently, the spread between exchanges is not so wide anymore but there are a lot more exchanges, so there is still a lot of money to be made on this.

Have you ever performed arbitrage on your own, were you successful, what was your biggest problem, please share your experience.

so is it risk?
i don't have much money, but i want to buy and sell bitcoins.
if it is so profitable, i will do bitcoin arbitrage.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007
DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!
The price gap between 2 major BTC exchanges is HUGE today, almost $20 per BTC or close to 4%. We ll see what result are we going to get. Does anyone have any idea why is this price gap so wide?
Activity: 517
Merit: 502
Has anyone tried any alts arbitrage and if yes, where and how?

Netcoins, I make about 10% per trade.
Netcoin on Cryptsy tends to be lower then on bter.com. (look for the NET/CNY pair)
legendary
Has anyone tried any alts arbitrage and if yes, where and how?
legendary
I guess yesterday was a good day to do arbitrage, over 2% rice difference between Bitstamp and BTCe at one point.
legendary
i've tried this. the main issue i had was the amount of it takes to transfer BTC between exchanges. there is more risk if it takes long. volatility also increases risk.

but hearing that it can be profitable makes me want to look into it again.

True, volatility increases risk. But volatility is the essence of arbitrage. If all prices would be the same and stable, no trade there.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
i've tried this. the main issue i had was the amount of it takes to transfer BTC between exchanges. there is more risk if it takes long. volatility also increases risk.

but hearing that it can be profitable makes me want to look into it again.
legendary
This weekend the spread between Bitstamp and BTC-e was $26 at one point. Really volatile market, really looks like as if somebody is influencing BTC supply and demand. 
legendary
The main problem was how to move BTC and/or fiat between different exchanges and the fact that in order to reduce the arbitrage risk to a minimum one needs to be able to buy BTC on an exchange with low price while selling the same amount of BTC on another exchange with high price AT THE SAME TIME.

The second part of your posts is really not an issue, especially lately. Due to recent China related events, there is  a lot of volatility creating a lot of arbitrage opportunities. The first part of your post, how to move fiat between exchanges in an issue. Unless you have lots of liquidity. 
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
The main problem was how to move BTC and/or fiat between different exchanges and the fact that in order to reduce the arbitrage risk to a minimum one needs to be able to buy BTC on an exchange with low price while selling the same amount of BTC on another exchange with high price AT THE SAME TIME.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
The only real arbitrage I did was with bitcoinbuilder. I deposited money into Gox and got it out with around 70% profit margin. I was lucky to get it out in time, because two days later they froze their website. I don't see these opportunities anymore.

If you do arbitrage now, then if you calculate the arbitrage opportunities between exchanges after transaction costs, you can get on average 0.10$ per trade. So your just scalping the markets. This small profit margin wipes out very fast when you make some mistakes or do the wrong trade.  Also you have to do alot and very fast to make it profitable.
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
Just sharing...
1. Find trading web with chat room but <100 peoples with low volume and no trade fees
2. Check the price, do fast buy let say 1% volume
3. Go to chat and trolling around for 1 hour (play good people, give good news, persuade to buy more etc...) and use different ID if you want
4. Step 2-3 for 3-5 times
5. Sell it back

In 3-5 hours I get about :
80% I get 5%
10% I get up to 20% << Sometimes people just buy what ever the price as long its the lowest
10% lost to 5%

So if I did with 100 BTC, I get :
Profit = 4 BTC + 0.5 BTC (Consider you got bad luck) - 0.5 BTC = 4 BTC

Thanks Cheesy

Sneaky.  Grin

Though not arbitrage.  As I it's not really risk free.

Im just lucky because always profit until now. And yeah, nothings is free. Maybe 1 more profit I get is chatting for wasting time, waiting BTC generated from my miners...
Activity: 362
Merit: 262
Just sharing...
1. Find trading web with chat room but <100 peoples with low volume and no trade fees
3. Go to chat and trolling around for 1 hour (play good people, give good news, persuade to buy more etc...) and use different ID if you want
5. Sell it back

80% I get 5%
10% I get up to 20% << Sometimes people just buy what ever the price as long its the lowest
10% lost to 5%

Thanks Cheesy

Sneaky.  Grin

Though not arbitrage.  As I it's not really risk free.
legendary
Just sharing...
5. Sell it back

80% I get 5%
10% lost to 5%

Thanks Cheesy

Sneaky.  Grin
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
Just sharing...
5. Sell it back

80% I get 5%
10% lost to 5%

Thanks Cheesy
legendary
There was a significant gap between BTCe and Bitstamp today, due to this Chine-related volatility. Unfortunately, I had no fiat available to purchase so I did not sell.
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
the more you spend in bitcoins the better. so if you can start buying smaller items and things you use in bitcoin do it if its not costing you to much. it will help with the growth and stability of bitcoin with more people doing this
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
The problem with inter-exchange Bitcoin arbitrage is that many of the exchanges are sluggish about withdrawals. Also, what with all the fees, exchanges have to be more than 2-4% apart before it pays.

You also have to figure in a > 50% chance that any Bitcoin exchange will go bust.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Well with recent news about large investment funds getting into the picture, I expect BTC price to become quite volatile which might create a lot of arbitrage opportunities.
legendary
Great info, I ll look into these two, never used them before.  Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: