Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin as a savings account - page 8. (Read 5922 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
May 14, 2013, 08:03:59 PM
Is it possible to setup a special needs trust where assets are placed in a trust possibly managed by you that can be used for specific medical reasons but won't be considered for Medicaid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplemental_needs_trust

A printed wallet can work.  I personally wouldn't find it to be significantly more secure or reliable than a flash drive.  Personally if I was paranoid I would use both.

Bitcoins at this point is a risky investment and I wouldn't suggest buying more bitcoins than you can afford to loose.  I expect it will either be a very good savings method or go to zero with little in between.
Activity: 14
May 14, 2013, 08:00:42 PM
Yes Bitcoins are a very good saving method.
Activity: 56
May 14, 2013, 07:52:51 PM
I will refrain from commenting on your personal situation, as you're not likely going to be happy with what I have to say.

At any rate, yes paper wallets are quite secure. There's also Armory, but I'm not as familiar with how that works.

I doubt there's anything you can say that I wouldn't agree with. Unfortunately, early onset dementia caught us off guard, drained our savings paying off medical debt, and left us in a situation where we have to participate or lose the ability to pay our mortgage, bills, etc. And the rules are strict. ANY "extra income" in the checking or savings account will disqualify her. We are expected to live government check to government check.

I'm hoping cold storage will be a safe way to save up for the inevitable appliance repairs, car payments when the one we paid off finally dies, house deductibles for the bi-annual hail storm roof replacements we get here in Oklahoma. (grin)
May 14, 2013, 07:33:35 PM
do you mean an actual wallet?

A printed out Bitcoin wallet. Laminated so I don't have to worry about fading, water damage, etc.
Activity: 27
May 14, 2013, 07:31:54 PM
I will refrain from commenting on your personal situation, as you're not likely going to be happy with what I have to say.

At any rate, yes paper wallets are quite secure. There's also Armory, but I'm not as familiar with how that works.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Troll of the Fourth Reich.
May 14, 2013, 07:30:44 PM
The problem is that the price may go up or down, Do you have any kids? Or trusted family members, Or even Trusted friends?
My wife has dementia and I've had to quit work to take care of her full-time. We get by, just barely, on our fixed income. The most frustrating thing about our situation is the "requirement" that we NOT exceed the maximum allowed income for her to remain qualified for Medicaid. This would include any money in a savings account. Bitcoin seems to be an ideal way to build a savings account without the worry of saving cash in our house. Would a laminated paper wallet be the best way to secure it?
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
May 14, 2013, 07:26:31 PM
do you mean an actual wallet?
May 14, 2013, 07:17:37 PM
My wife has dementia and I've had to quit work to take care of her full-time. We get by, just barely, on our fixed income. The most frustrating thing about our situation is the "requirement" that we NOT exceed the maximum allowed income for her to remain qualified for Medicaid. This would include any money in a savings account. Bitcoin seems to be an ideal way to build a savings account without the worry of saving cash in our house. Would a laminated paper wallet be the best way to secure it?
Pages:
Jump to: