Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Bearish or Bullish? Here my thoughts: JULY UPDATE (+POLL) - page 2. (Read 2385 times)

Activity: 119
Merit: 43
1 trillion marketcap is still low, gold has a 7 trillion marketcap and that is mainly from store of value.  The world is moving to a digital world and gold is a hassle to transport globally while bitcoin just requires a few clicks of the mouse.

Yes you are right, but even with the ease like this, this is what causes the volalitle of bitcoin to be higher, so it will be difficult to predict even in the next 1 week. We have seen through the market that Bitcoin going to bullish in just 1 - 2 week and then whole market got bearish just in 1 day.

As usual great work Fillippone! Lucky us you don’t get tired writing these analysis!
Activity: 616
Merit: 12
Send&Receive Money Instantly, w/ no hidden costs
1 trillion marketcap is still low, gold has a 7 trillion marketcap and that is mainly from store of value.  The world is moving to a digital world and gold is a hassle to transport globally while bitcoin just requires a few clicks of the mouse.

Yes you are right, but even with the ease like this, this is what causes the volalitle of bitcoin to be higher, so it will be difficult to predict even in the next 1 week. We have seen through the market that Bitcoin going to bullish in just 1 - 2 week and then whole market got bearish just in 1 day.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 391

As usual I would like to thanks everyone who contributed to this post, in particular the guys in the Bitcoin Pump! thread on the Italian board for invaluable exchange of ideas and help in keeping track of news, as well as the whole WO's family for moral support and entertainment.

What are your thoughts?

Excellent analysis and summary Fillippone, as always fixed note  Wink

Personally, I don't expect a new max for this whole summer, with the price recovery in November for the year-end rally; Bitcoin has stopped on the 68.2% Fibonacci retracement, and I believe it will now take a while.
Activity: 700
Merit: 101
entering July this price falls, it seems like it will be difficult to recover in a short time.
maybe even the price will continue to decline
or maybe this is also the beginning of bitcoin returning to fly higher than before.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
It will be flat until September comes. Be positive! Bitcoin halving will push bitcoin to move up. A lot of people are speculating it to increase and beat its ATH this 2019 due to the fact that bitcoin mining will be halved by May 2020. If you will just look the support level, it is really hard to break the 9k supports. In addition, whales are awake in this year. There are many whales at binance who bought hundreds of bitcoin back when there was momentum from 9k to 13k dollars. That is a good sign that bitcoin will continuously move up.
As you can see in the summary, I have never been so positive since I have been writing this repot
Activity: 1316
Merit: 268
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
It will be flat until September comes. Be positive! Bitcoin halving will push bitcoin to move up. A lot of people are speculating it to increase and beat its ATH this 2019 due to the fact that bitcoin mining will be halved by May 2020. If you will just look the support level, it is really hard to break the 9k supports. In addition, whales are awake in this year. There are many whales at binance who bought hundreds of bitcoin back when there was momentum from 9k to 13k dollars. That is a good sign that bitcoin will continuously move up.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042
#Free market
Activity: 406
Merit: 551
I am a banana.
suberb analysis
thank you so much for this precise and accurate report

i hope in a rain of merits for this amazing report Smiley

Thanks!
I wish I knew a merit source!

Haha, you've already got Hero merit, all you need now is a hundred twenty memes and shitposts!
legendary
suberb analysis

Thanks!
I wish I knew a merit source!
legendary
Activity: 3528
Merit: 4042
suberb analysis

legendary
Previous updates:

January OP3,4134/-/1
February Update3,7913/1/4
March Update4,0965/3/3
April Update5,2695/5/1
May Update8,2775/5/1
June Update9,8008/3/0

Previous Poll:

Halving: BULLISH
Last Month: BULLISH
Time Horizon: Medium

Rationale: Yes, if you read me in the past months you know this is the main reason I am bullish on bitcoin.
I was bullish for the halving even before getting in contact with PlanB, but he then more rigorously formalised what I had as a gut-feeling.

Last month I posted something regarding market anticipating halving. Well, this is probably an interesting point of view, but apparently GrayScale played down this explanation in one of their report about halving:

The U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) has cleared the way for crypto derivatives provider ErisX to offer futures contracts with a new license approval Monday.

ErisX, which is backed by U.S. brokerage TD Ameritrade, announced that the CFTC granted it a derivatives clearing organization (DCO) license, acting as a secondary approval on top of an existing designated contract market (DCM) license that the exchange already held. The approvals mean the company can now launch crypto futures products under the auspices of the U.S. regulator.

• Putting Bakkt’s Bitcoin Futures to the Test
    On July 22, two days after Apollo 11’s 50th anniversary, Bakkt will initiate user acceptance testing for its bitcoin futures listed and traded at ICE Futures U.S. and cleared at ICE Clear US.
  • CFTC Approves LedgerX to Settle Futures in Real Bitcoin
    The Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) has cleared bitcoin derivatives provider LedgerX to offer physically settled bitcoin futures contracts.

The CFTC said Tuesday it had approved LedgerX’s application for a designated contract market (DCM) license, meaning the company can now offer the new futures contracts. LedgerX is the second company to receive approval to offer physically settled bitcoin futures; other firms, such as Intercontinental Exchange’s Bakkt, Seed CX and ErisX plan to enter this market.

• Competition is heating up.

Exchange Scrutiny: BULLISH
    Previous month Status: BULLISH
    Time Horizon: Long Term

Rationale: exchanges are the weak link in the Bitcoin ecosystem: poor operations, subpar technologies, prone to frauds, scams and every kind of market rigging schemes (pump and dumps, market manipulations etc: basically every illicit operation banned in traditional financial markets since 20 years ago, to say the least). Every month news report of lost founds, hacked accounts, founder's frauds. Every news is a Darwin's push for the Bitcoin ecosystem toward a more efficient functioning.

COMMENT:Another busy month in the exchange world. Not only regulators are cracking down exchanges, with the already mentioned measures to enforce data sharing and compulsory KYC, but also general public is going to audit exchanges operations in order to protect their investments.
    Cryptocompare Exchange Benchmark goes in this direction:
    Why CryptoCompare Created an Exchange Benchmark
    A growing body of research suggested that a substantial group of exchanges were inflating volumes by wash trading and implementing incentivised trading schemes in order to gain status.

The Exchange Benchmark and the resulting notion of ‘Trusted Volume’ is CryptoCompare’s response to the ‘Fake Volume’ problem. The report uses an innovative ranking methodology that utilises a combination of qualitative (due diligence) and quantitative (market quality based on order book and trades) metrics, without using volume directly in the ranking.
    Exchange volume data, liquidity, and practices are not anymore taken for granted, but put under scrutiny. This is going to push for the better exchanges survival: this is meant to change the exchange landscape massively. This pressure means exchanges will face huge expenses to face regulatory pressure, and will have to keep their operations at the state of the art to gain trader's orders.
    I see many of them exiting the competitive space in the coming months (this is good) and huge barriers being created for incumbents (this is bad).

First findings are that still 30% of volumes comes from "subpar" exchanges, leaving much room for improvements:

https://twitter.com/CryptoCompare/status/1140560727079628800?s=20
    The inaugural CryptoCompare Exchange #Benchmark shows the market share of low quality exchanges increased by 30% in the past year, demonstrating the need for ranking methodology that doesn’t rely on aggregate volumes. #CryptoExchange #Cryptocurrency (link: https://www.cryptocompare.com/media/35650785/cryptocompare_exchange_benchmarking_2019_06.pdf) cryptocompare.com/media/35650785…

You can read the full report here: Exchange Benchmarking

HODL Waves: BULLISH

RATIONALE: Bitcoin HODL Waves is a visualisation by Unchained Capital, it shows the cross section of Bitcoin held in wallets grouped by the age since they last moved. The upper contours, represent supply (old coins that have remained unmoved) while the lower contours represent new demand (coins that have recently shifted). The composite view clearly shows each bull cycle bringing in new demand. This visualisation is useful for locating exactly where the market timing is during its long term oscillations between bull and bear phases.
    TL,DR: The area Above each line is the amount of "coins" not moved since the relevant time horizon.

COMMENT: Ops, something is changing! 12m lines flattened out, hence some hands moved from the #stonghands, to the #weakhands camp. This probably has to do with the MVRV chart: if you are a #weakhands once the price recovers and you are In the money with your trades you want to get rid of those coins you bought. This is a decision you are going to regret in a short period of time!

A new concept similar to Bitcoin HodlWaves is Bitcoin Dormancy. You can read more about this article Bitcoin
    Average Dormancy.

In periods where long-term holders accumulate (HODL) Bitcoin, the average dormancy is low and the average age of UTXO increases, lowering the ratio. When long-term holders offload their holdings to short-term traders, the average dormancy increases and the average age of UTXO decreases, raising the ratio. This tool is therefore useful in identifying market trends that often lead to HODL waves detecting periods of bitcoin selling by long-term holders in bull markets, and then re-accumulation after the onset of the bear market when the UTXO average age begins to rise and dormancy once again drops.

This concept is not new, but i hope there will be some update on this, as it combines some interesting, yet not so immediate to understand indicators, combining them in a synthetic and informative way.

BONUS SECTION:
    FACEBOOK LIBRA: BULLISH

The elephant in the room for this report has been the Libra announcement by Facebook.
    A lot of commentaries has been done on this topic, religion wars have been fought, and still there's not a clear idea on the matter, also because the released material didn't provide all the details.

My basic comment can be summarised in the following bullet points:
    • Libra is not a cryptocurrency: it is not because lacks one of the 5 pillars of a cryptocurency: Decentralisation. Libra is something different, I would say it is not a FIAT currency, nor a Cryptocurrency. Which extreme will lean towards has yet to be determined, and this is only in the hands of Facebook.
    • Libra is not in competition with Bitcoin: Bitcoin is digital gold and allows personal financial Sovereignty. Libra wants to be a super effective centralised Mean of Payments. Libra is in competition with traditional banking and credit cards, as pointed out by Bitmex CEO  Arthur Hayes, in this interview Facebook’s Libra Will Benefit Bitcoin But ‘Destroy’ Banks, Says Industry .
      In a sense, LIBRA is in competition with Lightning Network. Again, best user experience will lead to success.
    • Libra is a game changer for Central Banks. Central banks have been quite vocal at the releases of Libra details. This is a reaction dictated by fear. Money has been the main control instrument of Central States over the population and the main leverage for fiscal stimulus. This critical tools cannot be handed out to a private corporation (all this is their opinion, not mine). Facebook has been ordered to top developing Libra and Zuckerberg has been immediately summoned to appear in front of Congress.
    • Long term Target of Libra is the “Un-dollarization of the world”: libra would be backed by a basket of FIAT currencies, USD, EUR, GBP and YEN to start, hence the scope is global adoption lessening the need of a world-based unit of account or mean of payments: this means reducing the role played by the dollar as we intend today. This is YUGE and fits with the turmoil by central bankster. To me this is the central key aspect of the whole libra thing. Nothing short of this would be irrelevant. 
    • Long term Effect of Libra on Bitcoin is positive: I could spend a lot of words here, but I will quote Caitling Long, who wrote What Facebook's Cryptocurrency Means: 6 Predictions: a a well written piece, I second 100%. On the sixth bullet point in particular she states what I tought is the long term arc for Libra in relation to Bitcoin:
      Facebook’s cryptocurrency will turn out, in the end, to be a Trojan horse that benefits bitcoin.
      Here’s my biggest prediction: Facebook’s foray into cryptocurrency will end up benefiting bitcoin. It will take time, but Facebook will greatly accelerate the pace of teaching people about cryptocurrencies. And when this happens, more people will turn to bitcoin for one simple reason—bitcoin is scarce, while Facebook’s cryptocurrency is not. People will migrate over time to the most honest ledger for storing their hard-earned wealth—and that’s not fiat currencies or derivatives thereof, including Facebook’s cryptocurrency.

This phenomenon actually happened in Venezuela, as early bitcoiner Nick Spanos recently pointed out to me. When the Maduro regime introduced the ill-fated petro cryptocurrency, the government made a concerted effort to educate Venezuelans about cryptocurrencies—and it correlated to a spike in bitcoin use by Venezuelans.

Facebook’s foray into cryptocurrency will likely end up being a beneficial detour on the path to broader bitcoin adoption. Bring it on!

• Regulatory Clarity: as stated by Longhash  How Facebook's Cryptocurrency Could Help Bitcoin Adoption Libra will force regulators to adobpt a common, global stance on cryptocurrencies. The stake is too high to let it unruled, or with discrepancies between regulations.

Facebook's cryptocurrency should give the broader digital asset space some much-needed regulatory clarity. At present, governments across the globe generally don’t agree on what to do with Bitcoin or cryptocurrency in general. In the United States, regulatory attitudes toward cryptocurrency vary by state.
      If Facebook makes cryptocurrency more mainstream, lawmakers will be forced to better understand the sector. This could lead to governments around the world establishing a proper framework for cryptocurrency companies and users. This is unlikely to eliminate all the friction in the crypto regulatory sphere, like the SEC's hesitation to approve a Bitcoin ETF, but could help establish some basic rules.
      Regulatory uncertainty is not good for innovation. It can prevent industry leaders from entering certain jurisdictions. Proper guidelines can pave the way for traditional banks to get involved, as well as entice more venture capital firms and consumers to invest.

Others Read:

A few interesting reports:

Bitcoin Models reference list:

As usual I would like to thanks everyone who contributed to this post, in particular the guys in the Bitcoin Pump! thread on the Italian board for invaluable exchange of ideas and help in keeping track of news, as well as the whole WO's family for moral support and entertainment.

What are your thoughts?

legendary
    @Filippone this thread is now a fixed monthly reference point, a detailed and complete report, which embraces the Bitcoin analysis from the graph to the transactions, from the news in publications to the expected ones.

Thanks,
    I put a lot of effort in this post, and I am trying to make it more and more interesting.
    If you or anyone else reading this post feel I am missing some important piece of information or analysis, please let me know!
    Activity: 1022
    Merit: 391
    @Filippone this thread is now a fixed monthly reference point, a detailed and complete report, which embraces the Bitcoin analysis from the graph to the transactions, from the news in publications to the expected ones.
    I personally believe that the fund was touched last February but I also believe that before this end of the year, between August and October, we will see an important new Bitcoin thrust, which obviously will bring down the entire market; how far he can go I can't say: I think between $ 4200-5000. It would be really horrible to break the support and the February minimum of $ 3000, with daily closing; this would mean starting a new bearish cycle, and still a long phase of adjustment and consolidation.

@finbad the ups and downs of Bitcoin have always been and always will be, as are all the assets and assets in other markets; the difference is that in the other markets we see minimal fluctuations, from 0.1% to 1% per day, while in this young market (due to its nature and its volume, minimal, almost insignificant) we observe variations even of 20 % per day.
    When we have this market that will have a capitalization of 10 and over $ trillion, then we will observe minimal fluctuations!
    Activity: 215
    Merit: 100
    Excellent analysis as always Filippone; now more and more the bullish rather than the bearish sentiment prevails, and also several graphical indicators seem to turn positive, but nevertheless I believe that we still have to witness a last big downward leg before a real and healthy restart.

We will see the real point towards the end of the year and the beginning of 2020, with the approach of the 3 halving, where a price recovery will necessarily be required.

Yes, the sentiment is slowly turning bullish again, and halving is going to play a mayor role this time.
    This is why i am reading my reports: to keep track of how things are evolving on the medium/long term and don't get lost in the daily trading noise.

It is worth reading these reports as well as the other points of view of the crypto experts. However, what we really see is that somebody wants to confuse investors and traders: BTC ups and downs happen too often.
    legendary
    Previous updates
    January OP
    February Update
    March Update
    April Update

Halving: BULLISH
    Last Month: BULLISH
    Time Horizon: Medium

Rationale: Yes, if you read me in the past months you know this is the main reason I am bullish on bitcoin.
    I was bullish for the halving even before getting in contact with  PlanB (Twitter: https://twitter.com/100trillionUSD), but he then more rigorously formalised what I had as a gut- feeling.
    This month I am posting a scenario that could break the halvening cycles we have observed in the past.
    What if the more mainstream adoption and the presence of more "institutional money", more keen to "efficient markets" (à la Fama) drives up the markets in anticipations of the halving and the subsequent stock to flow reduction?

Plan B added a few details on his explanation of the halvening effect follows a Power law in this this tweet :

Well, what if market is already starting to price the effect of this halving before actually happening instead of following this?

#Bitcoin halving front run scenario, never happened before, but ..

Link to Tweet

I don't like to comment too much in the current price of BTC, but the sentiment is turning more and more bullish, and I think this kind of analysis is perfectly consistent with an anticipation of the halvening.  Price used to rise sharply after the halvening, reacting to this and not actually anticipating it. What if this time is different?
    Market doesn't like discontinuities, and so tends to anticipate drastic moves or changes in the protocol.
    If had could move a critic to Satoshi for his whitepaper, I would say the choice of discrete halvening is not optimal, while a more smooth reduction of coinbase would have been better implementation. (While researching for this, I stumbled on this thread, worth a read if interested).

Please note also that S2F multiple is now available as an indicator in Tradingview.

A confirmation on how the halvening is going to impact bitcoin price development has emerged from Square quarterly results: Jack Dorsey's app has seen incredible growth in bitcoin selling activity, and if this is deemed to continue, impact on daily mined bitcoins could be substantial:

It’s also important to important to consider the amount of BTC that Square is selling, not just sales in dollar terms. Assuming Q1's average Bitcoin price of around $3,790 (CoinMetrics & The Block), Square sold an approximated 17,300 BTC during that period — Cash App's fees and spreads not taken into account. During that same time frame, 162,000 BTC was mined, assuming that the Bitcoin network keeps to its standard emission rate of 1,800 BTC each day. This implies that Square's users absorbed 11% of all BTC mined through their purchases. Considering that the sale of coins emitted by miners is considered a perpetual negative catalyst for BTC, as miners often need to liquidate their stash to fund their operations, an 11% alleviation on this pressure, dubbed a "natural selling pressure" by some pundits, goes a long way.

Similar conclusion came from the analysis of the GrayScale Bitcoin Trust, that bought more than 11,236 BTC in April alone.

Layer 2 applications: BULLISH
    Last month status: BULLISH

Rationale: Bitcoin has a low throughput for his on-chain transaction. Corollary of this Bitcoin protocol feature, is that not every transaction need the level of security guaranteed by an on-chain transaction. So we are building other solutions on the base of Bitcoin Protocol, known as Layer 2 solutions.
    This is an “invisible asset” for bitcoin adoption, allowing truly decentralized, trustless, instant payments with ridiculously low fees. This will allow the creation of a whole new industry of payment processors: ending point? Competition with credit cards.
    In addition to that every Layer 2 progress allows further developments (layer 3 applications I cannot even think of) and in addition to that strengthens Layer One: the Bitcoin protocol, like a big Jenga game, where every superior layer presses and consolidate lower layers adding robustness and immutability to the protocol itself (immutability of a protocol should be considered a feature, not a bug. Research the DAO disaster for an example).

Comment: Lightning Network halted his massive growth  and is now flat for the second month, metrics are almost unchanged MoM:

LN network capacity trend over the last 6 months: flat at the top continues!

as I said last month capacity is of course an important parameter, but not the only one to focus on, but there are other important factors to consider. Usability and broad user experience is one of the most important now and we saw various improvements on the software itself and third party support.

HodlHodl, a P2P exchange, went on with Lightning adoption and went live with Lightning payments on their Testnet enabling users to buy and sell BTC directly from their LN Wallets.

Ln is the first L2 solution, but other L" options are starting to take shape: as I said last month we can expect a multitude of such solution, that in their turn can be base of higher levels.

Some other L2 solution are taking shape:
    • Microsoft Launches Decentralized Identity Tool on Bitcoin Blockchain
      Microsoft is launching the first decentralized infrastructure implementation by a major tech company that is built directly on the bitcoin blockchain. The open source project, called Ion, deals with the underlying mechanics of how networks talk to each other. For example, if you log onto Airbnb using Facebook, a protocol deals with the software that sends the personal information from your social profile to that external service provider. In this case, Ion handles the decentralized identifiers, which control the ability to prove you own the keys to this data.
      This is indeed a very interesting L2 application, as it has a non monetary nature.
    Also we see the beginning of Layer3 solutions, albeit in a very embryonal stage:
    • if we think at the Liquid sidechain as a L2 solution: Blockstream Releases First Enterprise-Grade Product on Liquid
      Security tokens are coming to Bitcoin, courtesy of Blockstream.
      The Bitcoin and blockchain technology company announced on May 15, 2019, the final day of the Consensus 2019 conference, that Liquid Securities, a platform for issuing and managing security tokens on its Liquid sidechain, is ready to go live. This platform will provide Liquid and its users with its first product to issue digital assets, a foundational milestone for bringing tokenization to the Bitcoin network.

• RIF Labs Launches 3rd-Layer Scalability Solution Capable of Processing Up to 5K TPS
      “Essentially Rootstock aims to be what Ethereum is, a decentralized, Turing-complete smart contract platform. However, Rootstock aims to utilize the Bitcoin ecosystem rather than creating a new one from scratch.”

This is only the beginning.

There was also some FUD spread this month about a LN node being to be considered a money transfer service, hence requiring a full licence. Of course this was quickly dismantled as ..FUD.

Transactions number: NEUTRAL
    Last month status: NEUTRAL
    Time Horizon: Short Term

https://www.blockchain.com/charts/n-transactions-excluding-popular?daysAverageString=7×pan=2years

Rationale: transaction number can be interpreted as the “bitcoin heart beat”. If transactions are scarce means one of Bitcoin primary functions (“mean of value transfer”) is not properly working. Of course the advent of layer 2 solutions is going to make this measure less and less relevant in the future. But as far as L2 capacity is not comparable to the whole bitcoin capitalization, transaction number cannot be discarded.

Comment: Despite dramatic rise in BTC price during last month, transaction number has remained quite flat. Transaction number is in the high “recent range” and on various days broke the 400k daily confirmed transactions, the highest levels since November 2017, but failed breaking higher, following price.

Notably something moved also in the mempool, where there were some kind of actions after months of empty mempool, nothing too spectacular, probably some users still pay more fees than required.

This lack of fees could be worrisome for someone thinking about the miners after the halving: if block reward is halvening, miners must rely on fees to commit themselves to blockchain validation. The reality is that Bitcoin is scaling without impacting on the daily paid fees, and despite this Bitcoin Miners Are Currently Earning 8x More in Fees Than All Other Cryptocurrencies Combined.

As we said last month, the impact of Veriblock OP_Returns transactions and CoinJoin transactions is yet to be fully assessed. Time will tell if those two development are going to significantly impact on transactions number.

Bitcoin is working for what it was meant for by Satoshi: BULLISH
    Last month status: BULLISH

Rationale: Bitcoin is digital gold. This means that can serve an uncensorable store of value in now derailed regimes. As more and more government indulges in hopeless funding/money printing options, in many cases BTC is the only way to preserve the right to defend your own wealth against (hyper)inflation

Last  month we looked at Argentinian Volumes this month we look at Colombian Peso (we are looking at BTC volumes, as volumes in Pesos are irrelevant due to the inflation):

same is happening in Argentina, Peru, Tanzania, Kazakhstan and many more other countries all over the World.

We can observe the transaction volume is somewhat elevated, and people keep buying Bitcoins to preserve value in an high inflation environment.

Speaking of high inflation the story of the month come from an usual suspect: Zimbabwe.
    Do you remember Zimbawe?
    Zimbawe is the realm of Mugabe, who once said: "Where money for projects has not been found, we will print it"
    result:

well, they are in yet another "more of the same" iteration: Read "A mouthful of Zollars" on "The Economist":

Unique addresses number is not picking up: NEUTRAL
    Last month status: NEUTRAL
    Time Horizon: Medium Term

RATIONALE: unique addresses is a loose measure of users in the ecosystem. True, many users could share the same address (like exchange addresses used by many users) or vice-versa each user could have many addresses (think about someone trying to entangle his addresses in order to gain some degrees of privacy).
    Addresses numbers are also used in some kind of Bitcoin valuations involving Metcalfe’s law, or a law trying do determine the value of a network, users being the asset of such network.

COMMENT: Unique Bitcoin addresses slightly raised during last month, almost touching 600,000 the maximum level since last year. Chain activity picking up is a good sign, above all because , as we have seen, this didn't reflected in a raise in fees.  

It's worth remembering that 600,000 active is a LOT of transactions, and Bitcoin has 3x daily active addresses than the second most used crypto, and  only 3 other cypto surpass 100K active daily addresses according to LongHash.

Source: https://www.blockchain.com/charts/n-unique-addresses?timespan=2years&daysAverageString=7

NVT:BEARISH
    Previous month Status: BEARISH

RATIONALE: Network Value to Transaction (NVT) is defined as the Bitcoin Network Value over the Daily Transaction Volume and be interpreted for Bitcoin in the same way P/E ratio for a stock-market. More insight and details on the interpretation of such signal can be found in the resource links at the end of the post.

COMMENT: NTV continued to slide down, but remain far-above the levels that have typically marked price bottoms (NTV Ratio is flat over last month and @60, is above 40 signals a bottom on the market). Risk on the downside have somewhat muted, but the recent price actions diverges from NVT signal, calling in a pullback, even thou, comparing to what we said last month,  bottom is probably already in.

Realized Cap: NEUTRAL
    Previous Month: NEUTRAL

RATIONALE: The realized cap attempts to improve the market cap by valuing different part of the Bitcoin supply at different prices , instead of using the daily close as market cap does: every coin, or more properly every UTXO is valued at the price of their creation. In a less technically correct explanation let’s say that  while Market Cap use the last traded price and multiplies it times by the coins in circulation, Realized Cap computes  the total value paid for each coin at the price they last moved on the blockchain .You can look at this indicator as an improvement to the market capitalization, a very misleading indicator for crypto currencies, trying to capture the “true hodling value” of Bitcoin.

COMMENT: Price action in last month  drove realized cap marginally higher, the divergence we observed last month disappeared and now both indicator are pointing north, so picture has marginally improved for second month in a row.

MVRV: NEUTRAL
    Previous month: NEUTRAL

RATIONALE: MVRV (Market Value to Realised Value Ratio) is an indicator was designed by David Puell and Murad Mahmudov and is simply the ratio of Market Cap / Realised Cap. It’s useful for getting a sense of when the exchange traded price is below “fair value” and is also quite useful for spotting market tops and bottoms. Refer to linked Woobull website for an in-depth explanation.

COMMENT: Market price movement last month made this indicator continue his rise from 1.25 to 1.75, as we said this is reinforcing the idea bottom has been priced in, and bodes well for further upside. Still not in full Bullish territory for the moment thou.

USD Exchange Trade Volume: NEUTRAL
    Previous month Status: BEARISH

https://www.blockchain.com/charts/trade-volume?daysAverageString=7×pan=2years

RATIONALE: Exchange traded futures are the closest instrument to Bitcoin Wall Street can touch to gain exposure to the cryptocurrency. Provided the price will follow quite closely the Bitcoin price, or what can be observed in the relevant “walled gardens” used to settle the futures, what is interesting for us is the contract volumes, that can give us a few hints of the interest Wall Street has towards the digital gold.

COMMENT: Overall traded volumes are on the rise since a few months:

Spot volumes increased sharply from 325 billion USD in  March, from 352 billion USD in April.

Meanwhile, futures volumes from bitFlyer Lighting and BitMEX combined around the 50 billions mark similarly to the previous month.
    These volumes should be reliable and not impacted by fake figures.

Regulated bitcoin derivatives product volumes are dominated by CME, who saw a 263% increase in average trading volume in April. This is followed by Grayscale’s GBTC product, and the dying CBOE’s bitcoin futures. CME’s bitcoin futures product volumes increased from 70.5 million USD to 256 million USD in April. Meanwhile, Grayscale’s bitcoin trust product (GBTC), also increased in terms of average trading volume in April to 29.7 million USD (239%).

Exchange traded futures still represent a tiny fraction of total futures trading in Bitcoin: futures represent roughly 24% of trading in Bitcoin (76% being spot transactions), and only 6% of this 24% is traded on traditional exchange traded Futures. This data is constant since last month, but bigger shares has been captured by CME that has been trading a record volume of 6.6 USD Billions.

DEXs represent only a small fraction of global spot exchange volume (0.14%, without a clear trend over last months), trading a
    monthly total of 447 million USD in March.

An important limit is that on these exchanges it's not possible to trade stablecoins, that represent roughly the 80% of spot volumes:

Crypto to crypto exchange trading volume, it represented 84.5% of total spot volume in April, so probably this means  fresh money slowly crawled from FiatMoney or Bitcoin to Stablecoins volume  down to other altcoins.

Despite the bullishness on last month report, DEX's are still failing to materialize any impact on the big pictures: Binance DEX is still of the chart, also no news from other Dexs' regarding further expansion or result of LN implementation (like HodlHodl LN tests we reported about in the last post).

Cumulate short positions built on the month of April, as expected went rekkt and were closed in the red:

We told you so.

Exchange Scrutiny: BULLISH
    Rationale: exchanges are the weak link in the Bitcoin ecosystem: poor operations, subpar technologies, prone to frauds, scams and every kind of market rigging schemes (pump and dumps, market manipulations etc: basically every illicit operation banned in traditional financial markets since 20 years ago, to say the least). Every month news report of lost founds, hacked accounts, founder's frauds. Every news is a Darwin's push for the Bitcoin ecosystem toward a more efficient functioning.

COMMENT: Another month has passed, another round of hacked accounts at exchange. we first started the month with 7000 BTC stole from Binance.

Not surprisingly investors are keen to own GBTC shares: that trust shares are priced at a 30% average premium over theoretical BTC par value, but the custody is so simplified and streamlined many investors thinks it's worth it.

Let's say investors are flocking to most reputable account to hold and secure their cryptoassets at a state of the art level: Coinbase Custody Now Has $1 Billion of Crypto Under Management. Other smaller exchanges are struggling with the scale of investment required to stay in the competitive arena. The smaller ones are just begging for funding to stay alive, whilst other bigger, Like Kraken are trying to fund themselves trying to siphon funds from customers selling shares at a vastly overvalued levels.

Some analysis also traced the origin of this month rally movement to People wanting to get out troubled exchanges. Chain analysis saw outflows from Bitfinex in 1.7 billions, probably related to the Thether issues (Bitfinex cold wallet chan be tracker here). BTC Price on the exchange experienced high premium over other venues (up to 6%). This should be a thing of the past as Blockstream has integrated Liquid into Bitfinex, allowing faste and effortless BTC transaction towards other exchanges.

HODL Waves: BULLISH

RATIONALE: Bitcoin HODL Waves is a visualization by Unchained Capital, it shows the cross section of Bitcoin held in wallets grouped by the age since they last moved. The upper contours, represent supply (old coins that have remained unmoved) while the lower contours represent new demand (coins that have recently shifted). The composite view clearly shows each bull cycle bringing in new demand. This visualization is useful for locating exactly where the market timing is during its long term oscillations between bull and bear phases.
    TL,DR: The area Above each line is the amount of "coins" not moved since the relevant time horizon.

COMMENT: The chart is a continuation of last month's with all lines pointing south: not only 12m is pointing down but now also 18m becomes evident: strong hands are still hodling strong!

A few interesting reports:

Bitcoin Models reference list:

Bonus Section:
    BEST Tweet of the month:

Twitter link

Yet another time someone is blatantly proposing to Shut down Bitcoin. Bitcoin is a competitive push for Fiat money. Fiat money can beat BTC not with governments banning BTC, but becoming better (becoming hard money) and making BTC useless in the first place (almost impossible).
    Another good read on the topic.

Why Outlawing Cryptocurrency Purchases is a Terrible Idea

Another bad example of "Shut Down Bitcoin proposal": Joseph Stiglitz: ‘We should shut down the cryptocurrencies’

What are your thoughts?

Activity: 1148
    Merit: 527
    As usual no one is able to tell when the price of BTC is going up to down,  we can't really tell which one it is going to be. All we can do is just to guess where it is likely to go and it's then we decide whether we are to take those risk, cause you're either going to lose of it doesn't go as the bullish prediction, but if it does then you're going to make a lot of profit. A lot of people have been saying that the halving next year is going to lead to a bull run, but how sure are we about that? Nobody really knows if it is true or not.
    Everything is all speculation upon speculation, we cannot really know the exact direction the crypto value will go and I see most of these figures as guessing work, at least by the time we guess all the possible numbers, one of them must become reality no matter the time it takes.

The only way we can come a little close to getting our speculations right is when we follow the markets news closely, if we don’t miss any of the news, we will be able to truly predict the direction Bitcoin will take on a daily basis because fundamental analysis really do have a very big impact on the value of the coin we are holding.
    Activity: 980
    Merit: 506
    April was a good month for bitcoin and slowly its trend converting into bullish zone and it was above 5000$ and now a new month is start and we can see it above 6000$ mark before this month end. It complete its bearish cycle now after one year of down trend.
    Seems we have some bulls that are beginning to make very 1st of each month now their investment day LOL. Bitcoin reduced in it value prior to the first of this month but I can see now that since we crossed over to the new month, the price has been improving again.

My own expectation is Starting from June, that is when I expect Bitcoin to fully be domiciled in the Bullish market, that is the time we will get to $6000, and the moment we see that price, I think it will be the main mark for the beginning of the bull run, if we can get to $6000 by June, then there will be nothing stopping BTC from reaching $10,000 by the end of this year.
    It has been just like that since last month (April) the price keeps on going up. Lately I thought it was going down when it reduced to $5,300 but before I could know what was happening, this  morning the price was already on its way up and has gotten to $5600 and this evening when I checked back it was close to $5,800 ($5,778 or so).

Every month it moves to another level, if it continues like this, then we might see the price move up above $10,000 each for btc. I always have this halving in mind, don't really know how it's going to be when that time reach.
    legendary
    Activity: 1358
    Merit: 1000
    April was a good month for bitcoin and slowly its trend converting into bullish zone and it was above 5000$ and now a new month is start and we can see it above 6000$ mark before this month end. It complete its bearish cycle now after one year of down trend.
    Seems we have some bulls that are beginning to make very 1st of each month now their investment day LOL. Bitcoin reduced in it value prior to the first of this month but I can see now that since we crossed over to the new month, the price has been improving again.

My own expectation is Starting from June, that is when I expect Bitcoin to fully be domiciled in the Bullish market, that is the time we will get to $6000, and the moment we see that price, I think it will be the main mark for the beginning of the bull run, if we can get to $6000 by June, then there will be nothing stopping BTC from reaching $10,000 by the end of this year.

If it happens, most of the guys will be as happy as never. I have heard some predictions that Bitcoin will be even more expensive than in 2017 this year, but I do not really think so.
    Activity: 2632
    Merit: 613
    Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

If you follow the link you’ll see also ETH and all major alts are considered.

Yes, they were also considered. April is over, and we see that it managed to bring positive changes to many cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin. I think it was bullish this month, surely.

April was the bullish month for the bitcoin only.  It was indeed a worst month for altcoins as we see most of the altcoins went below their all time low value. No news or event like main net , listing could pump the altcoins for long time duration. Ask from the holders of altcoins and they will say that their portfolio are at extreme losses.
    legendary
    The more I read your comment guys, the more I think signature campaign requiring a certain number of post per week are the absolute evil of the forum.
     I would like to merit some of the message you posted on the thread, if only they had some kind of meaning and weren’t absolutely similar to message composed of autocomplete suggested words.
    Pages:
    Jump to: