Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Core 0.10.0 has been released - page 5. (Read 27238 times)

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
February 25, 2015, 01:32:46 PM
Appreciate your great work

Yes awesome work guys

100 people working on the core and 0 people working on the demand for bitcoin, you guys are doing great work for your coin if your priorities weren't all messed up Smiley I think you should start doing some real work and maybe do something positive for your investors like ahh CREATE A DEMAND so people will have a reason, a purpose and a need to buy more bitcoins than they sell. STOP waiting for others to create a demand for your coin.

And before you code and bitcoin developer lovers get all bent out of shape, I have been in bitcoins for a long time, mined them traded them,own informational websites, facebook groups, held seminars and never have I ever used the bitcoin core wallet Smiley to much work on that core and not enough for the demand. The core wallet is to confusing to people without coding experience, to understand it, and god forbid if they are not super experienced and only have a command line to use they wont get past the git clone, the developers have spent way to much time on the core development that is simply put, NOT userfriendly. Unless its in a graphical interface, it deters users from even using bitcoins so adoption and adaptation is more complex. the value of bitcoin continues to fall with every new release. its time to get your priorities together, because in another 5 years if things keep going this way, there will be no more bitcoins Smiley

This should answer your non-technical concerns regarding the Bitcoin Foundation's priorities:

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2015/02/24/bitbeat-for-bitcoin-some-good-press-finally/

Finally get some ads and publicity that'll help people become familiar with Bitcoin, thus directly pushing technology to meet the users needs (making Core and Bitcoin more user friendly).

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
February 25, 2015, 11:52:26 AM
I had been using online wallets and blockchain-free software for the past 18 months, but since this was a major release, I decided to give it a try. I was amazed to see the free space on my HD goes from 339 to 305 Go in about 10 and a half hours. I had never downloaded so much data in so little time!

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
February 25, 2015, 01:56:22 AM
Nope not trolling,

Just tired of seeing the bitcoin developers concentrate so much on a core protocol that is literally utilized by less than 40% of the people using bitcoins right now, and out of the ones that do use it only about 10% of those actually care about bitcoin and do anything for bitcoin.

Yeah, sometimes it seems like the bitcoin-core developers are focussed on developing bitcoin-core.

Something must be done about this crazy situation.

In an unrelated note I heard that Microsoft has huge numbers of developers who do nothing but develop Microsoft software. Maybe you should email them and get it sorted out.

SO you see the priorities of not only the Bitcoin developers, but the ones who actually use the bitcoin core is doing nothing for the value or the demand of bitcoin. So the investors we do have make little to no gains and the ones looking into bitcoin are turned away since there is no demand for bitcoin that would make it a good investment.

Do you not understand that having a functional client is absolutely essential, and that without it the network just doesn't work? We can't all use SPV clients - what would they connect to?

I think where you're going wrong is in thinking that "we" have or are looking for "investors".

Anyway, if there is no demand for bitcoin why is it trading at over $200 per unit?
legendary
Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015
e-ducat.fr
February 24, 2015, 09:01:14 AM
Nope not trolling,

Just tired of seeing the bitcoin developers concentrate so much on a core protocol that is literally utilized by less than 40% of the people using bitcoins right now, and out of the ones that do use it only about 10% of those actually care about bitcoin and do anything for bitcoin. SO you see the priorities of not only the Bitcoin developers, but the ones who actually use the bitcoin core is doing nothing for the value or the demand of bitcoin. So the investors we do have make little to no gains and the ones looking into bitcoin are turned away since there is no demand for bitcoin that would make it a good investment.

You could stop looking at it as an investment.  Wink

Well what are we supposed to look at it as a currency? A transaction process? Its not a currency, and its value as a transaction protocol is not even utilized or promoted by the developers. As for now it is an investment, and since the developers who have made a but ton of money from the investors have seemingly already got paid you (and they) could say its time for them to get off their ass and do thier job. if not for the people who looked at bitcoin as an "investment" where would bitcoin be? NOWHERE, if not for the people who looked at bitcoin as an "investment" where would the developers be financially, most likely worse off than they were 6 years ago. Maybe what you and the bitcoin developers need to realize is they created the monster that is now bitcoin, they made it an investment out of greed.
A transaction network based on a transaction protocol. That's what Bitcoin is.
Then you have investors who speculate on its mass market adoption and lobbyist who insist on calling it a currency which is only one application of the network.
Meanwhile the technology and the ecosystem are making good progress thanks to the developers. Imho an investor is simply a middleman, a time intermediary between now and mass market time.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 502
February 24, 2015, 04:12:01 AM
Nope not trolling,

Just tired of seeing the bitcoin developers concentrate so much on a core protocol that is literally utilized by less than 40% of the people using bitcoins right now, and out of the ones that do use it only about 10% of those actually care about bitcoin and do anything for bitcoin. SO you see the priorities of not only the Bitcoin developers, but the ones who actually use the bitcoin core is doing nothing for the value or the demand of bitcoin. So the investors we do have make little to no gains and the ones looking into bitcoin are turned away since there is no demand for bitcoin that would make it a good investment.

You could stop looking at it as an investment.  Wink

Well what are we supposed to look at it as a currency? A transaction process? Its not a currency, and its value as a transaction protocol is not even utilized or promoted by the developers. As for now it is an investment, and since the developers who have made a but ton of money from the investors have seemingly already got paid you (and they) could say its time for them to get off their ass and do thier job. if not for the people who looked at bitcoin as an "investment" where would bitcoin be? NOWHERE, if not for the people who looked at bitcoin as an "investment" where would the developers be financially, most likely worse off than they were 6 years ago. Maybe what you and the bitcoin developers need to realize is they created the monster that is now bitcoin, they made it an investment out of greed. If not it would never have become one would it? So the bottom line is they wanted to make money and steered its real reason of creation from a transaction protocol to an investment, now its time to sleep in the bed they made. Maybe now we have a glimpse of why Satoshi left huh?

And FYI they cant even do their job right 100 people worked on the update and I still have 1 hour transaction times on companies using the bitcoin core.

How can we get Satoshi back??
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
February 23, 2015, 04:10:43 PM
I'm scared to download torrent.

Why? You can verify the hash and the PGP signature of the SHASUMS file so you are certain that your copy is good.
Activity: 742
Merit: 526
February 23, 2015, 04:02:59 PM
I've been trying to download the new client, but whenever I try I get only "The connection was reset. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading" error. What might be wrong? I'm using the latest Firefox.

I'm scared to download torrent.
staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
February 23, 2015, 06:04:38 AM
You sure this issue related ONLY to 32 bit systems? I mean it already know bug witch was tested and the cause of it clearly tracked to 32bit address limitations? I sow it one time even with ~2000 Mb free RAM... (4 Gb physical RAM, win 32bit, 3.5 Gb available due 32bit limitations, ~2 Gb free)
Yes, and I explained why (the fact that 32 bit systems needs a lower limit was also well known in advance; Bitcoin imposes a hard cap of 1024 on 32bit systems... but it sounds like from your report that this is not low enough). Large cache settings (e.g. 4096MB) are extensively tested on 64 -bit hosts.

Well seems if you got over 1k transactions in a mixture of wallets seems to crash client
Can you try restating this? What does "in a mixture of wallets" mean?  I've personally tested Bitcoin core with wallets with tens of thousands of transactions without issue, but I'm not sure precisely what you're doing, or what you mean by crash.
Activity: 470
Merit: 350
February 22, 2015, 11:36:32 PM
This release has exciting features but ones I like the mos are the 'sendfreetransactions' setting, the fee calculation database, and the switch to  libsecp256k1 library. More security and more fair fees make a LOT of sense!
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
https://gliph.me/hUF
February 22, 2015, 01:58:07 AM
Nope not trolling,

You could stop looking at it as an investment.  Wink
Activity: 894
Merit: 1001
February 21, 2015, 09:52:07 PM
You're running out of address space.  A 32 bit program only has access to 4GB of address space. At least 1GB of that is used by the kernel.  Usually another GB is lost to libraries, stack, and other userspace overheads.  Leaving you with maybe 2GB of process address space. It then loses more from running multiple threads, each with their own stacks and heap arenas which use address space even if they're not using actual memory yet.  Then you get the process's own memory usage, and there just isn't much space left for huge caches.

We should probably cap the dbcache maximum on 32 bit hosts so that you don't get the surprises crashes at runtime... but sadly, I don't think it will be possible to accommodate your desire for a super large cache.   Have some patience though, the default cache is way more than adequate for a running node-- cranking it up only makes a real difference on the initial block download, which is a one time event.

You sure this issue related ONLY to 32 bit systems? I mean it already know bug witch was tested and the cause of it clearly tracked to 32bit address limitations? I sow it one time even with ~2000 Mb free RAM... (4 Gb physical RAM, win 32bit, 3.5 Gb available due 32bit limitations, ~2 Gb free)

And my desire not for a super large cache, it about speed up bt disk work on HDDs. High dbcach help with it - not much, but helps.
In theory initial block download one time event, but in practice (i use btc about 2 years now) i already do this 3 times:
- my very first initial block download
- redownload after strange client crush (it was one of 0.8.x versions - not sure about exact reason, it not repeated and i upgrade ver soon) because of database corruptions
- redownload (actuality was DB reindex + some redownload) after big power flux in my city (result in sudden hard reboot) while client sync blocks from last few days - resulting in another blockchain corruption

2nd took > 1 day, 3rd (about 2 month ago) took about 2 days of heavy disk work!

Now I already know redownload usual not needed in such situations and -reindex may be enough, but if data on HDD (not SSD), -reindex takes almost the same time as full initial download, because HDD disk is bottleneck here, not Internet connections speed (if it not very slow of course? but 10-20 Mbit/s already enouhg to make HDD or CPU bottleneck, not network)
To avoid such situations in future i now keep backup of indexed blockchain- which almost doubled used space (~34 Gb working db + ~25 Gb zipped bacup)

And sometimes even sync of last one or few weeks blocks is like a pain in ass  (eg you need to check or send transactions fast, but realize what client was not synced from last week or two and need wait about hour before full sync)
Activity: 1008
Merit: 502
February 21, 2015, 08:57:13 PM

100 people working on the core and 0 people working on the demand for bitcoin, you guys are doing great work for your coin if your priorities weren't all messed up Smiley I think you should start doing some real work and maybe do something positive for your investors like ahh CREATE A DEMAND so people will have a reason, a purpose and a need to buy more bitcoins than they sell. STOP waiting for others to create a demand for your coin.

Not sure if serious or being trolled..  Huh

Nope not trolling,

legendary
Activity: 1820
February 21, 2015, 07:50:36 PM
Well seems if you got over 1k transactions in a mixture of wallets seems to crash client and had nothing but problems with v10 in the end  I had to delete wallet and rescan after and even this took like 12 times or more to finaly get done without it crashing ever time it scanned.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
February 21, 2015, 05:43:17 PM
Trying to build on Debian 6 LTS I get:

Code:
helpers/memenv/memenv.cc:65: error: ‘SIZE_MAX’ was not declared in this scope

Any idea how to remedy this?
My guess is you are running on a version of GCC which is at least outdated by 4 years of hard work. But if you dont post more details, I cant tell you more.
Think I fixed it, inserted the following at line 5 of src/leveldb/helpers/memenv.h and it compiles fine.

Code:
#ifndef __STDC_LIMIT_MACROS
#define __STDC_LIMIT_MACROS
#endif
staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
February 21, 2015, 05:27:35 PM
10 have same bug as was in 8.xx and 9.xx versions.

If you set -dbcache=xxx to high values like 256 or 512 Mb (min = 4, max=1024, default=100) client with a high probability will hang or crash at initial blockchain download (or just synс a few hundreds or thousand blocks after few days or weeks offline) trowing such error:
[..snip..]
I sow this behavior on WinXP and Windows 7 32bit. Not tested on other systems yet.
And this error not simple run out of free RAM - in all cases i sow this error at least 500-1000 Mb RAM was still free before crash. So it is internal bitcoin (or may be levelDB ?) bug.

You're running out of address space.  A 32 bit program only has access to 4GB of address space. At least 1GB of that is used by the kernel.  Usually another GB is lost to libraries, stack, and other userspace overheads.  Leaving you with maybe 2GB of process address space. It then loses more from running multiple threads, each with their own stacks and heap arenas which use address space even if they're not using actual memory yet.  Then you get the process's own memory usage, and there just isn't much space left for huge caches.

We should probably cap the dbcache maximum on 32 bit hosts so that you don't get the surprises crashes at runtime... but sadly, I don't think it will be possible to accommodate your desire for a super large cache.   Have some patience though, the default cache is way more than adequate for a running node-- cranking it up only makes a real difference on the initial block download, which is a one time event.
Activity: 894
February 21, 2015, 02:30:02 PM
10 have same bug as was in 8.xx and 9.xx versions.

If you set -dbcache=xxx to high values like 256 or 512 Mb (min = 4, max=1024, default=100) client with a high probability will hang or crash at initial blockchain download (or just synс a few hundreds or thousand blocks after few days or weeks offline) trowing such error:

EXCEPTION: St9bad_alloc      
std::bad_alloc
bitcoin-qt.exe in ProcessMessages()      

2015-02-21 16:43:12 ProcessMessage(block, 536164 bytes) FAILED

bitcoin-qt.exe in Runaway exception  

In 2 varinats:
- just simple instant crash with such error
- no crash but client stop download new blocks (all other look fine), and if you close client (just normal exit, NOT process killing) it crash at exit with same error

With default settings (-dbcache=100) no such errors but at 100mb and current big blocks bitcoin core SO SLOW if data placed on HDD (not SSD) and killing disk and making computer almost unresponsive for other user activity (if it is not dedicated computer/server) while blockchain sync...

If this bug not fixed bitcoin will become  "SSD only" program soon. And it is a problem because of high volume of blokcchain data which keep growing even with some acceleration.  

P.S.
I sow this behavior on WinXP and Windows 7 32bit. Not tested on other systems yet.
And this error not simple run out of free RAM - in all cases i sow this error at least 500-1000 Mb RAM was still free before crash. So it is internal bitcoin (or may be levelDB ?) bug.
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
February 21, 2015, 01:13:01 PM
watch-only addresses works, but show only "receive" and "generate", without "spending"

So balances more bigger then should be in real

How to fix?
Activity: 107
Merit: 11
February 20, 2015, 09:38:39 PM

Not sure if serious or being trolled..  Huh
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
Si vis pacem, para bellum
February 20, 2015, 03:48:42 PM
-snip-
 i just  closed bitcoin 0.9.3  but didnt uninstall it
installed 0.10 on top without deleting the blockchain
it took about 5 minutes to "verify blocks"

i was expecting to have to download the whole chain again but it seems to be working
fine using the 34GB chain i already had ?

have i done something wrong ? should i delete it all and do a fresh install ?

it seems to be fine but i dont like to take chances with my coinz

Nope, thats expected. The old blockdata is still fine, would be a shame if you had to download all that again.

thats cool ,thanks
i was thinking i did something wrong when i was reading people  complaining about the download length but the upgrade only takes 5 min to install if you already had bitcoin 0.9.3

i dont have top of the range equipment either, the laptop i installed  it  is around 6 years old Smiley
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
February 20, 2015, 03:46:47 PM
-snip-
I unfortunately didn't have that option, had 0.9.1, shut it down first, then ran installer.

Took me about 14-15 hours total to redownload entire Blockchain, Block folder about 50GB in size.

Not sure what happened there. Usually if data get corrupted you need to re download some blocks and do a rescan. 14-15 hours for a 50Mbit/s connection sounds like a full redownload though.
Pages:
Jump to: