Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Core 0.10.0 has been released - page 6. (Read 27238 times)

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
February 20, 2015, 03:43:24 PM
-snip-
 i just  closed bitcoin 0.9.3  but didnt uninstall it
installed 0.10 on top without deleting the blockchain
it took about 5 minutes to "verify blocks"

i was expecting to have to download the whole chain again but it seems to be working
fine using the 34GB chain i already had ?

have i done something wrong ? should i delete it all and do a fresh install ?

it seems to be fine but i dont like to take chances with my coinz

Nope, thats expected. The old blockdata is still fine, would be a shame if you had to download all that again.

I unfortunately didn't have that option, had 0.9.1, shut it down first, then ran installer.

Took me about 14-15 hours total to redownload entire Blockchain, Block folder about 50GB in size.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
February 20, 2015, 03:39:27 PM
-snip-

i was expecting to have to download the whole chain again but it seems to be working

Nope, thats expected. The old blockdata is still fine, would be a shame if you had to download all that again.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
Si vis pacem, para bellum
February 20, 2015, 03:35:50 PM
Well I tried this last night around 7:30PM EST and it's still going until now.

Knew it was too good to be true, to hear the reported faster indexing, 3 hours total, yada yada.

Not poopoo-ing on the devs, because they do what they can to support and improve and optimize the software, just keeping it real.

I now see the Torrent link on the top of the page, but wonder if that's any faster than just downloading the entire Blockchain from the new client.

I know this software is meant for advanced users that want to serve as nodes etc, but to take over 12-13 hours before you can even use the client...unacceptable.

Color me disapppointed.  By the way, I have a laptop with core i7 cpu, running Win 7 64 bit, 6 GB DDR 3 RAM on a Verizon FIOS symmetric 50MB internet connection, no SSD harddrive.  Even with no SSD, that shouldn't account half a whole days worth of downloading the blockchain.  I did have Bitcoin Core 0.9.1 shutdown, and then downloaded and installed 0.10.0 over it, then an error message popped, which gave me little choice but to download the entire blockchain.  Pretty much a cancel and not use Bitcoin Core, or download 34 GB worth of data to use the software.

There should an option to download locally or cache the chain in the cloud, just give the users options especially as "the wallet" promoted and developed by the Bitcoin Foundation.

Just ranting, but expecting much better.  This is my 3rd upgrade in 3 years, guess just venting because I didn't have to re-download the entire blockchain in previous installations.

Just my experience, take it for what it's worth.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
February 20, 2015, 03:30:13 PM
Time to sync from zero blockchain folder.

Core 2 Duo 3GHz (not mobile !)
2Go RAM
SSD 500Go Samsung
12Mb connexion

Result = 2 days.
CPU and Hard drive work is the mastering ... job (connexion is not the time).

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Banned: For Your Protection
February 20, 2015, 12:14:19 PM
Regarding not being able to close the window, otherwise it shuts down, I remember there used to be tools on Windows that could send a window in the right hand corner of the task bar as a small symbol or even run it hidden.

"RBTray is a small Windows program that runs in the background and allows almost any window to be minimized to the system tray by right clicking its minimize button."

Sourceforge link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rbtray/files/rbtray/4.3/RBTray-4_3.zip/download

I use this for cmd console windows, and a few other things, and it works great. Enjoy -  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1358
https://gliph.me/hUF
February 20, 2015, 10:54:34 AM
Thanks, Newar.  Given enough time to look for information, I mostly figured this out on my own -- even that crazy part about having to create a configuration file just to get it to work the first time!  But the confirmation's always nice to have.  It's too bad this is not more intuitive, or that there are good instructions/helps posted somewhere obvious -- to step non-techies through how to do this.  That is, run the daemon only on the various platforms.  

I'm more familiar with Linux, and it makes the task super easy.  But on Windows it certainly is not.  And you'd have to think there would be even more folks out there that would run the daemon only -- to support the network -- if they didn't have to load up and keep open the -qt just to do that.  In today's bitcoin world, many of us already have other wallets of choice; we don't want another one loaded up and taking resources, just so we can help the network by running the daemon.

Even now that I have the daemon going on my Windows machine, this is still awkward.  When I start the daemon from a command-line prompt, I find I have to keep that window minimized in the tray for the program to keep on running.  I can't just close the window and it continue running entirely in the background, not cluttering my work space.

And to use bitcoin-cli commands while bitcoind is running, I have to open a second command window, and type in the whole 'change directory (cd)' command line, and then the -cli command at a second prompt.  That's really awkward.

Glad to hear you got it working!

I don't think bitcoind is intended for non-techies to begin with. If you don't want to spend resources on running Bitcoin Core as a full node that is fine. To support the network as a full node you will also have to open port 8333 and have your PC online as much as possible. Those will cost you bandwith and electricity. It's probably cheaper to get a VPS, I would think.

I also don't think it's intended to run on Windows desktop machines, not sure how it works on Windows servers. (I too don't know much about Windows myself, well, later than XP). You're right it's easy on Linux. Even I get it  Wink

Regarding not being able to close the window, otherwise it shuts down, I remember there used to be tools on Windows that could send a window in the right hand corner of the task bar as a small symbol or even run it hidden. Also, running a program as a service (or was it the scheduler, I forgot) meant it would not show as a window or occupying desktop or taskbar real estate. Not sure if this is still possible with the newer releases.

The separation of bitcoind and bitcoin-cli was done (0.9.0) to get a clear separation between server and as the RPC client.

Googling for "bitcoin daemon" or "bitcoin headless" brings up said wiki page in the first few hits. AFAICT everything you need is on that wiki page or the links it contains. Including the creation of the .conf file. (Not sure why you need one, if you run without wallet or any other bells and whistles, btw.). If you feel the documentation there is lacking feel free to improve the wiki.
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
February 20, 2015, 08:30:38 AM
Thanks, Newar.  Given enough time to look for information, I mostly figured this out on my own -- even that crazy part about having to create a configuration file just to get it to work the first time!  But the confirmation's always nice to have.  It's too bad this is not more intuitive, or that there are good instructions/helps posted somewhere obvious -- to step non-techies through how to do this.  That is, run the daemon only on the various platforms.  

I'm more familiar with Linux, and it makes the task super easy.  But on Windows it certainly is not.  And you'd have to think there would be even more folks out there that would run the daemon only -- to support the network -- if they didn't have to load up and keep open the -qt just to do that.  In today's bitcoin world, many of us already have other wallets of choice; we don't want another one loaded up and taking resources, just so we can help the network by running the daemon.

Even now that I have the daemon going on my Windows machine, this is still awkward.  When I start the daemon from a command-line prompt, I find I have to keep that window minimized in the tray for the program to keep on running.  I can't just close the window and it continue running entirely in the background, not cluttering my work space.

And to use bitcoin-cli commands while bitcoind is running, I have to open a second command window, and type in the whole 'change directory (cd)' command line, and then the -cli command at a second prompt.  That's really awkward.
legendary
Activity: 1358
https://gliph.me/hUF
February 19, 2015, 10:44:01 PM
Question: How do I run the daemon only -- without the wallet -- after installing Core on a Windows 7 computer?

[I don't want to use the wallet just now -- only support the network with a full node.]

I should think there's a way to start and run the daemon from a command line prompt.  What's the command, and in what directory do I find it?  Thanks, much.

Edit: In the daemon directory folder, I see two files -- bitcoin-cli & bitcoind .. the former much smaller than the latter.  I'd guess maybe I can just run one of these from a command prompt.. but which one?  Thanks again.

bitcoind is the client without GUI. bitcoin-cli is the command to use if you want to poll info from bitcoind. To run without wallet: bitcoind -disablewallet

More command line options: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
Activity: 270
February 19, 2015, 04:11:32 PM
Question: How do I run the daemon only -- without the wallet -- after installing Core on a Windows 7 computer?

[I don't want to use the wallet just now -- only support the network with a full node.]

I should think there's a way to start and run the daemon from a command line prompt.  What's the command, and in what directory do I find it?  Thanks, much.

Edit: In the daemon directory folder, I see two files -- bitcoin-cli & bitcoind .. the former much smaller than the latter.  I'd guess maybe I can just run one of these from a command prompt.. but which one?  Thanks again.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
February 19, 2015, 03:50:21 PM
Just updated my full node and it was almost uneventful, thanks.

I only had to update two scripts to use bitcoin-cli instead of bitcoind.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 502
February 19, 2015, 01:54:11 PM
Appreciate your great work

Yes awesome work guys

100 people working on the core and 0 people working on the demand for bitcoin, you guys are doing great work for your coin if your priorities weren't all messed up Smiley I think you should start doing some real work and maybe do something positive for your investors like ahh CREATE A DEMAND so people will have a reason, a purpose and a need to buy more bitcoins than they sell. STOP waiting for others to create a demand for your coin.

And before you code and bitcoin developer lovers get all bent out of shape, I have been in bitcoins for a long time, mined them traded them,own informational websites, facebook groups, held seminars and never have I ever used the bitcoin core wallet Smiley to much work on that core and not enough for the demand. The core wallet is to confusing to people without coding experience, to understand it, and god forbid if they are not super experienced and only have a command line to use they wont get past the git clone, the developers have spent way to much time on the core development that is simply put, NOT userfriendly. Unless its in a graphical interface, it deters users from even using bitcoins so adoption and adaptation is more complex. the value of bitcoin continues to fall with every new release. its time to get your priorities together, because in another 5 years if things keep going this way, there will be no more bitcoins Smiley
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
February 18, 2015, 05:16:24 PM
Trying to build on Debian 6 LTS I get:

Code:
helpers/memenv/memenv.cc:65: error: ‘SIZE_MAX’ was not declared in this scope

Any idea how to remedy this?
My guess is you are running on a version of GCC which is at least outdated by 4 years of hard work. But if you dont post more details, I cant tell you more.
How about a gcc -v:
Code:
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Debian 4.4.5-8' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-4.4 --enable-shared --enable-multiarch --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.4 --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc --with-arch-32=i586 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-8)
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
February 18, 2015, 04:34:26 PM
why there is no digital sign? if i run the zip version(all should be the same) the warning pop up
better everyday ♥
February 18, 2015, 02:28:33 PM
I now see the Torrent link on the top of the page, but wonder if that's any faster than just downloading the entire Blockchain from the new client.

If you are talking about the bitcoin-0.10.0.torrent, it is for downloading the bitcoin core program only but not the blockchain files.

Argh, that sucks then.  There's gotta be a way to get Core Devs to create a thin client that also has the option to Synchronize the consensus Blockchain, instead of me waiting for blocks to index for 14 hours...
Activity: 280
February 18, 2015, 01:36:43 PM
Synchronizing with network
Everything works great for the moment Smiley

If you used 0.9.3 version before you should see Synchroznisation with the Network a lot faster .
Check the changelog on the Github page to see what are the other changes Wink gl mate
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
February 18, 2015, 01:27:50 PM
Synchronizing with network
Everything works great for the moment Smiley
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
February 18, 2015, 01:03:57 PM

If you are talking about the bitcoin-0.10.0.torrent, it is for downloading the bitcoin core program only but not the blockchain files.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
February 18, 2015, 12:40:53 PM
thanks,
already installed and running!
better everyday ♥
February 18, 2015, 09:14:25 AM
Well I tried this last night around 7:30PM EST and it's still going until now.

Knew it was too good to be true, to hear the reported faster indexing, 3 hours total, yada yada.

Not poopoo-ing on the devs, because they do what they can to support and improve and optimize the software, just keeping it real.

I know this software is meant for advanced users that want to serve as nodes etc, but to take over 12-13 hours before you can even use the client...unacceptable.

Color me disapppointed.  By the way, I have a laptop with core i7 cpu, running Win 7 64 bit, 6 GB DDR 3 RAM on a Verizon FIOS symmetric 50MB internet connection, no SSD harddrive.  Even with no SSD, that shouldn't account half a whole days worth of downloading the blockchain.  I did have Bitcoin Core 0.9.1 shutdown, and then downloaded and installed 0.10.0 over it, then an error message popped, which gave me little choice but to download the entire blockchain.  Pretty much a cancel and not use Bitcoin Core, or download 34 GB worth of data to use the software.

There should an option to download locally or cache the chain in the cloud, just give the users options especially as "the wallet" promoted and developed by the Bitcoin Foundation.

Just ranting, but expecting much better.  This is my 3rd upgrade in 3 years, guess just venting because I didn't have to re-download the entire blockchain in previous installations.

Just my experience, take it for what it's worth.
Activity: 518
Merit: 505
February 18, 2015, 08:54:56 AM
Trying to build on Debian 6 LTS I get:

Code:
helpers/memenv/memenv.cc:65: error: ‘SIZE_MAX’ was not declared in this scope

Any idea how to remedy this?
My guess is you are running on a version of GCC which is at least outdated by 4 years of hard work. But if you dont post more details, I cant tell you more.
Pages:
Jump to: