Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Core version 0.12.1 released - page 5. (Read 23891 times)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004
April 15, 2016, 11:22:23 AM
I'm not sure how this "community support" is calculated exactly?
There is no exact metric that enables one to get accurate analysis of the community support. I have no idea how they exactly plan on "measuring" it.
They probably mean that they will be using a high threshold for activation and reaching that threshold means that a lot of miners will need to support the increase (and though them the community).

They told to those 4 miners that they will release a segwit scaling solution before the halvening. But they failed. We will go into the halvening without a capacity increase.
Stupidity in perfection.
What are you taking about. You clearly have no idea what you are taking about. Segwit will be released before July when the halving happens. The release should be on a few weeks.

It should have been released in April to be activated before the halvening and having any impact as a capacity increase. It seems that you are the one that has no idea what he is talking about.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
April 15, 2016, 11:17:45 AM
They probably mean that they will be using a high threshold for activation and reaching that threshold means that a lot of miners will need to support the increase (and though them the community).
In addition to having a long grace period (which is what is very wrong with Gavin's BIP). Yeah, that could be it. I am a bit curious about the exact contents of the proposal. IIRC it was <3 months after Segwit code release.
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
April 15, 2016, 11:09:09 AM
There is no exact metric that enables one to get accurate analysis of the community support. I have no idea how they exactly plan on "measuring" it.

They told to those 4 miners that they will release a segwit scaling solution before the halvening. But they failed. We will go into the halvening without a capacity increase.
Stupidity in perfection.
What are you taking about. You clearly have no idea what you are taking about. Segwit will be released before July when the halving happens. The release should be on a few weeks.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252
April 15, 2016, 11:07:27 AM
They told to those 4 miners that they will release a segwit scaling solution before the halvening.

We currently see block 407,423, there's still some time until we reach 420,000. BTW, 4 miners is different from having consensus.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
April 15, 2016, 11:01:16 AM
Yay, BIP 68 & 112 are more bricks in the foundations for Lightning channels. Super-cheap transactions that smash the 250,000 tx/day limit into tiny pieces, looking forward to when the 2MB morons run out of things to talk about
hello i'm a 2MB moron  Grin
i still dont see how LN is going to make one time payments ( these are the only types of payments i have ever done with bitcoin ) cost less.
from my understanding LN is good for poeple like bitpay accepting 1000's of TX coming from coinbase.
but if i want to send 0.01BTC to alice and thats the end of it, LN is useless to me... is it not?

edit: maybe i'll indirectly benefit from LN taking away 1000's of TX going directly from coinbase to bitpay now happening on LN, greatly reducing the traffic onchain making fees onchain lower.
legendary
April 15, 2016, 10:59:16 AM

That's an interesting question!

For sure it's not "calculated" by talking to 4 miners and a few companys, create a timeline and then tell everyone else to suck it.

Stupidity in perfection.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
April 15, 2016, 10:57:51 AM

they should create 2 new versions of core the sole purpose of this new version to signal their readiness for 2MB blocks, or signal their opposition for 2MB .

miners can use the BIP9 block version number

for users we count the number of nodes updated to the latest version of core that is FOR 2MB and the ones Against it..
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252
April 15, 2016, 10:39:09 AM

That's an interesting question!

For sure it's not "calculated" by talking to 4 miners and a few companys, create a timeline and then tell everyone else to suck it.
legendary
Terminated.
April 15, 2016, 10:32:57 AM
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
April 15, 2016, 10:24:03 AM
thanks and congrats for releasing new version of  bitcoin core.
I will use it now Smiley  hope there's no bugs.
staff
Activity: 3472
Merit: 6129
April 15, 2016, 10:20:18 AM
Both ? I mean both SegWit & Block increase ? I'm so existed !
No. There is currently no block size increase proposal that has consensus.

I just found what I was looking for : https://medium.com/@bitcoinroundtable/bitcoin-roundtable-consensus-266d475a61ff#.r0iz31yx8

• SegWit is expected to be released in April 2016.
  • The code for the hard-fork will therefore be available by July 2016.
  • If there is strong community support, the hard-fork activation will likely happen around July 2017.

legendary
Terminated.
April 15, 2016, 10:18:30 AM
No. There is currently no block size increase proposal that has consensus.
staff
April 15, 2016, 10:17:19 AM
Is it me or this new version came out fast then the usual updates ?
Yeah, there was a really fast turnaround for this release. Instead of waiting a week after the rc2 release, we only waited a few days. Then it was also tagged and had enough gitian builds in a few hours after that so it was a very fast release.

anyone know when the "Segregated Witness" thing is going to happen btw ? I know that something is supposed to happen this April and the block thing on next year ? or july ? can't remember.
It should be happening later this month or early May. It should be the 0.12.2 release and hopefully that will have just as fast a release as this one.

staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
April 15, 2016, 10:15:36 AM
Yeah, there was a really fast turnaround for this release. Instead of waiting a week after the rc2 release, we only waited a few days. Then it was also tagged and had enough gitian builds in a few hours after that so it was a very fast release.

anyone know when the "Segregated Witness" thing is going to happen btw ? I know that something is supposed to happen this April and the block thing on next year ? or july ? can't remember.
It should be happening later this month or early May. It should be the 0.12.2 release and hopefully that will have just as fast a release as this one.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
April 15, 2016, 10:13:30 AM

around this summer, i think they want to speed everything else, for the arriving of segwit
staff
April 15, 2016, 09:43:43 AM
legendary
Terminated.
April 15, 2016, 09:24:09 AM
This happened faster than expected. Quite a nice achievement.

Yay, BIP 68 & 112 are more bricks in the foundations for Lightning channels. Super-cheap transactions that smash the 250,000 tx/day limit into tiny pieces,
Exactly.

looking forward to when the 2MB morons run out of things to talk about
They will never run out of things to talk about (hint: Look above my post). Did you not know that LN is evil because it destroys a 2 MB block size limit in terms of performance?  Roll Eyes
legendary
April 15, 2016, 09:14:12 AM
Thanks for this release!
So now it pays off and the realization of lightning network is coming closer and closer.
Awesome! Smiley

LOL, yes, awesome, the LN Bankster Altcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014
April 15, 2016, 08:51:18 AM
Thanks for this release!
So now it pays off and the realization of lightning network is coming closer and closer.
Awesome! Smiley
Activity: 1036
Merit: 504
Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(
April 15, 2016, 08:29:21 AM
Congrats to the release. I wonder what new arguments the haters will come up with now
Pages:
Jump to: