Author

Topic: Bitcoin debit card - page 155. (Read 293872 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
January 08, 2015, 11:09:18 PM
Hmm, OK, I'll waste (only) a few dollars on this and try it out.
I'm in Australia.
I already use a few methods for doing this - one is a local Gift Card supplier who does it similarly but with a once off balance Debit/Savings Gift Card so I could track him down if anything went wrong, since I have his name and address from the start and he lives in the same state as me (and he's been doing it for a year now)

So ... $1 is ... about 0.0035 BTC at the moment.

So questions:
1) Where would the balance be visible?
2) Who has access to adjust the balance? (up or down)

The $2500 lifetime limit of the card doesn't make it all that great either.

I'm actually not expecting this to pan out - again there is something strange that you can do something that many other companies bigger and well known cannot.

Also wondering why your post history shows a post in russian
(yet you replied to me above 'mate')
Activity: 938
Merit: 500
January 08, 2015, 06:09:46 PM
here is the full list of card limits, easier to read:

For verification you'll need to send scans of your ID and proof of address - typical stuff.

Verification itself and the increased limits will become available after the public release.
January 08, 2015, 05:28:08 PM

Ok, did someone tried ?

a few have registered and ordered cards. It will now take a few days to receive them, depending on the location. Within EU the official timeframe is 5-10 days, from experience they usually arrive quicker. Outside EU - all depends on the local post service, which in some countries can be rather poor
January 08, 2015, 05:07:53 PM
[...] Once the full integration is complete (February - March), you will be able to store money in BTC on the card as well.
That's great.

From your FAQ:
What are the fees associated with E-Card?
ATM Transaction Domestic
Domestic means within the UK or is that currency related (e.g. EUR card + EUR cashout = domestic, EUR card + USD cashout = international)?

Can I withdraw cash at ATM using my E-Card?
You can withdraw $400/ €400/£320 per day if your E-Coin account is not verified and $1200/ €1000/£800 per day once you have become a verified account holders.
400 € per day without any verification is huge! This means to withdraw/spend 146,000 € per year allmost anonymous. I can't really believe that this complies with AML/KYC?!

"Verified by Visa" is possible?

In the FAQ you should mention the bank you are connected with.

So, the card is just black? That's a bit boring. You show a great card design on your homepage. Hope this is used soon.

Domestic means currency related, you are exactly right.

Limits: oh, that would be sweet.. Unfortunately not, KYC defines card lifetime limits as well, apologies for missing that out in FAQ and well spotted - will make sure this is added there, too.

Here is the current full list:

Limits                        Unverified (KYC1)         Verified (KYC2)      
POS                           USD      EUR      GBP      USD      EUR      GBP
Number of purchases         per day      no limit   no limit   no limit   no limit   no limit   no limit
Value of purchases         per day      no limit   no limit   no limit   no limit   no limit   no limit

ATM                     
Number of ATM transactions   per day      no limit   no limit   no limit   no limit   no limit   no limit
Value of ATM withdrawal      per transaction   $200      €200      £160      $600      €600      £400
Value of ATM withdrawal      per day      $400      €400      £320      $1200   €1,000   £800
Maximum ATM withdraw      Lifetime      $1000   €1,000   £800      no limit   no limit   no limit

Loading Rules                     
Max single load                     $500      €500      £400      $10000   €10,000   £8,000
Max daily load                      $500      €500      £400      $20000   €20,000   £16,000
Max lifetime load                  $2500   €2,500   £2,000   no limit   no limit   no limit

The card design: it does not only depend on us, we would be thrilled to get the one shown in the homepage straight away, but there are some limitations imposed by Visa. This is one of the next steps - we are on it.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
January 08, 2015, 04:24:57 PM

Ok, did someone tried ?
legendary
Activity: 1513
Merit: 1040
January 08, 2015, 04:16:29 PM
[...] Once the full integration is complete (February - March), you will be able to store money in BTC on the card as well.
That's great.

From your FAQ:
What are the fees associated with E-Card?
ATM Transaction Domestic
Domestic means within the UK or is that currency related (e.g. EUR card + EUR cashout = domestic, EUR card + USD cashout = international)?

Can I withdraw cash at ATM using my E-Card?
You can withdraw $400/ €400/£320 per day if your E-Coin account is not verified and $1200/ €1000/£800 per day once you have become a verified account holders.
400 € per day without any verification is huge! This means to withdraw/spend 146,000 € per year allmost anonymous. I can't really believe that this complies with AML/KYC?!

"Verified by Visa" is possible?

In the FAQ you should mention the bank you are connected with.

So, the card is just black? That's a bit boring. You show a great card design on your homepage. Hope this is used soon.
January 08, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
guys, a quick note for those who have ordered the cards: they were supposed to be sent out in new design (the one shown at the top of this thread) as of this week, however, we just received another one in the old design. Having spoken to the card issuer, this should be corrected shortly.
So, don't be surprised if the one you receive happens to look a bit different, it is still the same card, just different print on the front
Activity: 184
Merit: 100
January 08, 2015, 02:48:52 PM
Cool idea, but puts more downward pressure on bitcoin price. This is basically a quick and convenient way to exchange bitcoin for fiat and then spend the fiat on purchases. The bitcoin ends up as fiat at an exchange, which will probably be withdrawn to a bank account instead of converted back into bitcoin. Still I can see how it would be useful for a lot of bitcoiners

It's exactly what we had in mind when we started this project, one of the main bitcoins problems is that there is no easy way to spend them/exchange to fiat, so by bringing bitcoins into traditional payment/card infrastructure we are aiming to make bitcoins more popular and liquid
Activity: 63
Merit: 11
January 08, 2015, 01:58:15 PM
Two questions:
1. On what exchange is your exchange rate based?
2. On the debit card, the money is stored as FIAT or BTC? (The exchange is done when the card is loaded or during each payment?)

Regarding the law-discussion:
I think there is a good law-related reason, why a bank in Gibraltar (which one btw) was choosen as card issuer. Gibraltar is a known tax haven and thus, on the grey list.

1. Initially Bitstamp, now we plan to have 2 or 3 as none of them seems to be a 100% reliable.
2. The money is stored as FIAT on the card. That's why we do not recommend to store large amounts on the card, you can store them in BTC and upload FIAT when needed (there will be a mobile app soon). Once the full integration is complete (February - March), you will be able to store money in BTC on the card as well.

Regarding banking:
At the moment this is the only way, happy to work with more trusted banking partners once they embraced BTC.
legendary
Activity: 1513
January 08, 2015, 01:17:50 PM
Two questions:
1. On what exchange is your exchange rate based?
2. On the debit card, the money is stored as FIAT or BTC? (The exchange is done when the card is loaded or during each payment?)

Regarding the law-discussion:
I think there is a good law-related reason, why a bank in Gibraltar (which one btw) was choosen as card issuer. Gibraltar is a known tax haven and thus, on the grey list.
Activity: 63
Merit: 11
January 08, 2015, 12:00:54 PM
Does it work worldwide, bcoz some countries hv restrictions.

Nearly. All countries except USA, India and countries on sanction lists.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
January 08, 2015, 11:36:06 AM
Does it work worldwide, bcoz some countries hv restrictions.
January 08, 2015, 10:54:06 AM
ok, lets see what happens. Can you pm me a beta code invite thingy?

that's done - sent you the link to request the code. Thank you for your support!
legendary
Activity: 980
January 08, 2015, 10:30:37 AM
ok, lets see what happens. Can you pm me a beta code invite thingy?
January 08, 2015, 10:29:58 AM
this is definitely something I think that is needed in order for bitcoin to strive in the future. More atms would help also.

Interested to see how this pans out. I am in the states  but hopefully some more of our mates in england give this a shot

fully agree. The whole idea behind this is to make BTC easier to use, so that not just IT-savvy guys like you can transact in it, but someone's granny, too. Bitcoin ATMs are great, love using them even just for the feel of the act,hope more of them keep coming up, the one drawback is the exchange rate.

Unfortunately we cannot send cards to the US addresses due to regulatory limitations (imposed on the card issuer). Which does not mean the card cannot be used in the US - if you live elsewhere and just travel to the States, the currently available USD one is the best choice
January 08, 2015, 10:20:56 AM

As for proof that the company won't be disappearing, I am not sure what kind of proof that could be - can anyone actually do that?

Most legitimate companies have more to lose than to gain by disappearing, because of a variety of reasons, the most important one being accountability. Im not yet convinced you could be held accountable if you decide to run one day. But here is a thought, again based on escrow: put a non trivial BTC amount in escrow, to be released to you after x months, or to be used to compensate victims if you turn out to be a scam. In the line of business you're in, you should be able to afford more than a symbolic amount for this.

thank you for your thoughts and suggestions - all is very reasonable and to the point. We will surely look into such possibility.

Meanwhile, we are still in beta, so, need to get some of you guys to try the service and share your thoughts - what is good, what needs to be changed, etc. Doing that on small amounts - there is no risk for anyone. After all, we have our risks too, especially once the 'buy' functionality is enabled and users are allowed to buy BTC using credit cards (this alone could be worth a separate topic!)
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
January 08, 2015, 03:32:30 AM
this is definitely something I think that is needed in order for bitcoin to strive in the future. More atms would help also.

Interested to see how this pans out. I am in the states  but hopefully some more of our mates in england give this a shot
legendary
Activity: 980
January 08, 2015, 03:10:42 AM

As for proof that the company won't be disappearing, I am not sure what kind of proof that could be - can anyone actually do that?

Most legitimate companies have more to lose than to gain by disappearing, because of a variety of reasons, the most important one being accountability. Im not yet convinced you could be held accountable if you decide to run one day. But here is a thought, again based on escrow: put a non trivial BTC amount in escrow, to be released to you after x months, or to be used to compensate victims if you turn out to be a scam. In the line of business you're in, you should be able to afford more than a symbolic amount for this.
January 07, 2015, 07:46:29 PM

BTC <-> VISA is not a new idea, it's just something that not even the well known BTC companies have been able to do yet, so you need to provide a LOT of details and why YOU are able to do this when others cannot.

^^Wise words your GRACE....^^

please, test us. Give us a chance - try creating an account and ordering a card. Read through the Legal and FAQ sections on the web-site and feel free to ask any questions here or via e-mail. Unless they touch upon sensitive information which we cannot disclose, will be happy to answer.
In the end, only action and delivery can be good enough proof, lots of details can be made up if someone wanted to run scam
January 07, 2015, 07:40:02 PM
Well actually I think there is something way more simple to consider here.

If you 'could' supply VISA cards payable with BTC you would make a fortune doing so on even a small margin.
That is quite simply obvious.
It would give the general BTC community a way to be able to pay for anything with BTC.

So I put this forward for this very reason.

Seriously, you need to provide a few pages of very high level details about your company and the people involved.
Your connection with VISA, your company history, your proof that the company won't be disappearing and details about where ALL the funds go and how the VISA cards are funded.

Not hidden web domains and anonymous google email servers.

If you cannot post those details here in the next 24 hours then it would be quite expected for anyone here to assume it is a scam and no one should be risking their BTC on it.

BTC <-> VISA is not a new idea, it's just something that not even the well known BTC companies have been able to do yet, so you need to provide a LOT of details and why YOU are able to do this when others cannot.

well worded.
That is the plan, and that is why the fees are low.

As mentioned in another reply, we cannot fully disclose all the sensitive commercial information and partnership details, unless we have an NDA in place, but would be glad to provide anything you find credible.
Would our investor slides pack be of any worth, you think?

It is not a new idea, you are right. Most ideas have existed by the time someone made something valuable out of them. Thus far, bigger competitors are only taking pre-orders, whereas our card is ready to order and ship.

Will you be at Bitcoin Expo in two weeks?
Jump to: