Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoin distribution - page 3. (Read 4388 times)

Activity: 369
Merit: 250
October 14, 2014, 01:29:11 PM
One of the reasons the BTC price is very volatile is because of it's distribution and the ability of large holders to easily affect the price due to their actions. They don't necessarily have to destroy the market by their actions, as one user noted above, but the volatility that comes with a few users controlling most of the coins is definitely not good for you average Joe who may be looking to purchase a coin or two and then losing most of the value in a short period of time.
Activity: 97
Merit: 10
October 14, 2014, 01:05:21 PM
Rich gets richer, poor gets poorer. Unfortunately, this is how the world works, and believe me, it will only get worse with time.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
October 14, 2014, 01:03:24 PM
I think is same. top100 holders matter all the rest are peanuts.

If any of top100 holders fart, bitcoin price collapse.

Reason why they will not do something stupid and harm their own financial interest.

Exactly.  One nice thing about whales is it's not easy for them to get out without destroying the market causing their own investments to be with less and less.  Whales need to be smart and patient when selling otherwise they hurt themselves just as much as everyone else. 

A disciplined investor will sell over a LONG period of time in small increments to not make waves and collapse the system.  Unlike what I believe happened with that $8mil sell wall that up for a few days, that's just manipulation keeping the price down so they can acquire more at the price they want.
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
October 14, 2014, 11:52:04 AM

Reason why they will not do something stupid and harm their own financial interest.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205
October 14, 2014, 11:16:57 AM
The bitcoin wealth distribution is very uneven. A user who holds tens of thousands of btc who sells most of his/her holdings may likely drive the price down, which is not good for those die-hard bitcoin holders out there.

Exactly the problem with all currencies, the 1% that control the most wealth.  Looks like bitcoin is no different  Undecided

First of all: no. The btc distribution, if unchanged, is bad even if compared to usd or eur (ok, probably Zimbabwe dollar is even more unfair, but that should be not our target).

Second: btc need to be adopted by a large mass of people in order to sucess, it's not supported by banks or governemnts like fiat, it's supported only by trust (trust that some1 will accept my btc for something valueable, even if no government force him to do so).
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
October 14, 2014, 11:09:55 AM
The bitcoin wealth distribution is very uneven. A user who holds tens of thousands of btc who sells most of his/her holdings may likely drive the price down, which is not good for those die-hard bitcoin holders out there.

Exactly the problem with all currencies, the 1% that control the most wealth.  Looks like bitcoin is no different  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
October 14, 2014, 10:02:01 AM
legendary
October 14, 2014, 09:20:35 AM
Bad. I hoped more than some whale had cashed out during the " falling"  of price...
I think that unfair distribution of wealth is the biggest flaw of btc design.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io
October 14, 2014, 09:15:16 AM

legendary
October 14, 2014, 09:09:46 AM
I've been off of the forum for some time, and I was just wondering if the btc distribution of wealth (very few people owning a lot of coins, opposite to a lot of people with poor accounts) has changed, considering the " bubble" , gox etc. I'm not able to analyze the blockchain by myself. Someone can help me satisfying my curiosity?
Pages:
Jump to: