Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin dominance hits 43%, alts surging ahead - page 17. (Read 7812 times)

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
February 2017 (when dominance was at 85%) is probably a much more relevant time period to look at. More indicative of a pre-bubble bull market like we're seeing now. The alt market was still super inflated in December 2017.

Anyway, what matters most is the current trend/trajectory. The alt market doesn't look like it's seen capitulation yet and it's about to pass 70%. I don't see why we couldn't reach 80%.

The Bitcoin dominance declined from 85% to 40% in less than a year, mostly as a result of the ICO boom. If you remember, Ethereum gave a return of more than 100x for that year, since it had almost complete monopoly among the ICO platforms. Also, there were new altcoins coming in to the market, such as Cardano (which was predicted by many to replace Bitcoin as the no.1 cryptocurrency). The ICO craze is over and ideally we should go back to the 85% level that we were having before the ICO bull run. IMO, it is the ongoing IEOs that is giving some sort of respectability to the altcoin market. Without them, the altcoins would be dead as a dodo by now.

50% to 70% took only 4 months. We still have 4 months remaining so far in this year. I would say that 80% or even 85% is possible, if there are no surprises. None of the altcoins are able to hold on to support levels. Take Ethereum for example. It was unable to hold on to 0.018, after missing several support levels earlier. Litecoin is not doing that good either. A lot of hype was there for the block reward halving of LTC. But it crashed heavily after the halving and now it is trading at 0.0065.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
According to this graph - https://coinmarketcap.com/charts/
In december 2017, BTC's dominant rate was only below 50% and I don't think we will see it at 80% to expect a success, IMO.

Again, based on graph, the last closest time BTC has over 80% dominant rate was Ferbruary 2017 and beyond, and because there's a lot of altcoins now that was produce in 2017 later periods and 2018, I think it's impossible to rise at that stage because it will result to altcoins getting dump really bad.

February 2017 (when dominance was at 85%) is probably a much more relevant time period to look at. More indicative of a pre-bubble bull market like we're seeing now. The alt market was still super inflated in December 2017.

Anyway, what matters most is the current trend/trajectory. The alt market doesn't look like it's seen capitulation yet and it's about to pass 70%. I don't see why we couldn't reach 80%.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1144
We might hit the 80% rate even faster if BTC can break the yearly high sooner rather than later.

that's my target---80-85% range. i think that'll coincide with bitcoin testing/breaking the 2017 ATH. after the ATH is broken we'll start getting into bubbly territory and the dynamic could change. during BTCUSD corrections, money may start flowing into the altcoin market as investors seek out riskier and more speculative bets. that's what happened in 2017.

According to this graph - https://coinmarketcap.com/charts/
In december 2017, BTC's dominant rate was only below 50% and I don't think we will see it at 80% to expect a success, IMO.

Again, based on graph, the last closest time BTC has over 80% dominant rate was Ferbruary 2017 and beyond, and because there's a lot of altcoins now that was produce in 2017 later periods and 2018, I think it's impossible to rise at that stage because it will result to altcoins getting dump really bad.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483
We might hit the 80% rate even faster if BTC can break the yearly high sooner rather than later.

that's my target---80-85% range. i think that'll coincide with bitcoin testing/breaking the 2017 ATH. after the ATH is broken we'll start getting into bubbly territory and the dynamic could change. during BTCUSD corrections, money may start flowing into the altcoin market as investors seek out riskier and more speculative bets. that's what happened in 2017.

So the cycle repeats, they sell the alts at a loss and get back into BTC again. I am expecting a huge alts capitulation soon.

same here, though maybe not for a couple more months. BTC attacking $20k should do it.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

I think there are way too many people who are trying to catch these falling knives of certain alt ratios like ETH, XRP, TRX. They are basically thinking that the low must be somewhere close and they rather long an altcoin which has a quick chance of rising exponentially and while BTC pumps and alts dump they start getting FOMO.

So the cycle repeats, they sell the alts at a loss and get back into BTC again. I am expecting a huge alts capitulation soon.
legendary
This is the latest data, from coinmarketcap:

Total crypto market cap: $271,962,154,671

Bitcoin: $186,423,237,080 (68.547%)
Bitcoin forks: $8,554,473,176 (3.145%)
Stablecoins: $4,856,775,322 (1.786%)
Altcoins: $72,127,669,093 (26.521%)

This is the change compared to my last post:

Bitcoin: +0.887%
Bitcoin forks: +0.064%
Stablecoins: +0.181%
Altcoins: -1.133%

The figures just confirm that the alts are still going through a bearish phase, while all the others (BTC, BTC forks, stablecoins.etc) are having growing market shares.

The good news is that the Bitcoin dominance has now breached the 70% level and it is surging ahead without any major obstacles. At this rate, I would say that 80% by the end of this year is very much of a possibility.

Total crypto market cap: $264,545,070,441

Bitcoin: $185,277,223,031 (70.036%)
Bitcoin forks: $8,030,578,364 (3.036%)
Stablecoins: $4,872,961,419 (1.842%)
Altcoins: $66,364,307,627 (25.086%)

Bitcoin: +1.489%
Bitcoin forks: -0.110%
Stablecoins: +0.056%
Altcoins: -1.435%
legendary
Checked the recent data from coinmarketcap, and this is what I got:

Total crypto market cap: $305,934,615,009

Bitcoin: $206,705,878,586 (67.660%)
Bitcoin forks: $9,413,859,758 (3.081%)
Stablecoins: $4,902,283,349 (1.605%)
Altcoins: $84,485,146,893 (27.654%)

The interesting thing to note here is that the market share of the Bitcoin forks (such as Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin SV) have grown, while that of the altcoins went down by close to 10%. Overall, the market cap of the stable coins have also risen.

This is the latest data, from coinmarketcap:

Total crypto market cap: $271,962,154,671

Bitcoin: $186,423,237,080 (68.547%)
Bitcoin forks: $8,554,473,176 (3.145%)
Stablecoins: $4,856,775,322 (1.786%)
Altcoins: $72,127,669,093 (26.521%)

Bitcoin: +0.887%
Bitcoin forks: +0.064%
Stablecoins: +0.181%
Altcoins: -1.133%

The figures just confirm that the alts are still going through a bearish phase, while all the others (BTC, BTC forks, stablecoins.etc) are having growing market shares.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
I know there was a way to check the bitcoin dominance per specific day on coinmarketcap.  Such as it showed the entire list any day you want.  Can someone tell me how to do this on coinmarketcap.com?

https://coinmarketcap.com/charts/

It's here on this page. It's the third chart down. You can fiddle with multiple time frames and remove or add specific coins too if you want more detail. There are some pretty bonkers oscillations in there.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 186
I know there was a way to check the bitcoin dominance per specific day on coinmarketcap.  Such as it showed the entire list any day you want.  Can someone tell me how to do this on coinmarketcap.com?
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
Seriously does anyone remember when was the last time we peaked like this? Bitcoin price is not that high neither, I mean it went up for sure but than altcoins didn't catch up to it. Normally, when bitcoin price goes up than altcoin prices go down so dominance going up is something expected but than when bitcoin price stops like it is stopping right now all other altcoins start to go back up the price what it used to be, right now its not doing that anymore.

It's only during a handful of very short periods that dominance went below 80% previous to 2017. Before that the idea it could've gotten as low as 30 something percent would've been considered beyond laughable.

It's unwise to predict any future behaviour off one insane alt bubble. It's never happened before. It may never happen again. It's going to take a few years before we can tell.
Activity: 1974
Merit: 453
Seriously does anyone remember when was the last time we peaked like this? Bitcoin price is not that high neither, I mean it went up for sure but than altcoins didn't catch up to it. Normally, when bitcoin price goes up than altcoin prices go down so dominance going up is something expected but than when bitcoin price stops like it is stopping right now all other altcoins start to go back up the price what it used to be, right now its not doing that anymore.

I suppose this is a good thing for altcoins right now because its at the all time low expectancy for most of them, bottomed out and only place for them to go is up at this point. I know we have said that plenty of times in the past month but hopefully this time it turns out to be true, I have a lot of small coins and a bit of eth, I really hope they go up soon.

Well... when I entered the cryptocurrency market for the first time (first quarter of 2017), the Bitcoin dominance was around 87%. Then two things happened that decreased this share. First, there was the ICO craze that took the market share of Bitcoin to around 40% and after that in August there was the forking of Bitcoin Cash which further reduced the share of BTC.
Activity: 2366
Merit: 605

I suppose this is a good thing for altcoins right now because its at the all time low expectancy for most of them, bottomed out and only place for them to go is up at this point. I know we have said that plenty of times in the past month but hopefully this time it turns out to be true, I have a lot of small coins and a bit of eth, I really hope they go up soon.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
This is a good time to buy altcoins. They are cheap in comparison to bitcoin.

having a lower price is not the same as being cheap.
and in this case the altcoin have lower price for good reasons, most of them are useless which means nobody bothers with buying them. and right now that bitcoin is on the rise is the worst time to buy altcoins because we all know whenever bitcoin rises altcoins get dumped.
Activity: 308
Merit: 35

Let us know how that worked out for you.
Activity: 882
Merit: 14
It is conceivable that bitcoin dominance goes well beyond 70% which will well drain the altcoin market further down. It is going to get worse if someone more institutional investors join the cryptomarket

Bitcoin dominance was about 85%+ from 2013 to early 2017, I expect it to go back to that point. GD near every altcoin is nothing but a bunch of future promise that will never deliver. The only thing I can count on right now is the greatest idea, invention and investment of my and our lifetimes - bitcoin. Let it ride.

Well... you have a point there. The dominance dropped due to the ICO boom in 2017. There was a sudden decline from 85.1% in January 2017, to 33.4% by January 2018. That means that in just one year, the altcoin share increased from less than 15% to 67%. Most of this increase can be explained by the ICO boom, but there were a few other reasons as well, such as the forking of BCH and BTG.

you are totally right, and i don't think that we will see such a parabolic altcoin rise again. maybe a few will be pumped, but i don't think that the btc dominance will go much lower as 50% again in the future.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 347
Activity: 882
Merit: 251
I think this is the reality of Altcoins market now that after the long bearish in which most of the Altcoin holders are now moving in Bitcoin creating 70% dominance in the market. I used to see that Altcoins are depending on Bitcoin performance but it seems totally different now.
That’s the altcoins depends on bitcoin movement when bitcoin rise altcoins were down. People have an interests and investing in bitcoin because of the profit they can have. Altcoins since lagging behind from bitcoin and has high dominance from other crypto.
Activity: 1974
Merit: 453
It is conceivable that bitcoin dominance goes well beyond 70% which will well drain the altcoin market further down. It is going to get worse if someone more institutional investors join the cryptomarket

Bitcoin dominance was about 85%+ from 2013 to early 2017, I expect it to go back to that point. GD near every altcoin is nothing but a bunch of future promise that will never deliver. The only thing I can count on right now is the greatest idea, invention and investment of my and our lifetimes - bitcoin. Let it ride.

Well... you have a point there. The dominance dropped due to the ICO boom in 2017. There was a sudden decline from 85.1% in January 2017, to 33.4% by January 2018. That means that in just one year, the altcoin share increased from less than 15% to 67%. Most of this increase can be explained by the ICO boom, but there were a few other reasons as well, such as the forking of BCH and BTG.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10558
I used to see that Altcoins are depending on Bitcoin performance but it seems totally different now.

altcoins have never moved with bitcoin ever. during 2017 there was a lot of drama about bitcoin while a ton of advertisement for altcoins promising to "replace bitcoin" (the term flippening was coined back then) which is why they got pumped nearly alongside bitcoin. otherwise for as long as i can remember, altcoins went down whenever bitcoin went up.
Activity: 630
Merit: 103
I think this is the reality of Altcoins market now that after the long bearish in which most of the Altcoin holders are now moving in Bitcoin creating 70% dominance in the market. I used to see that Altcoins are depending on Bitcoin performance but it seems totally different now.
Pages:
Jump to: