Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin is an altcoin - page 5. (Read 1139 times)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0
November 21, 2017, 02:25:40 PM
I don't feel that bitcoin is an altcoin,  but you can call it whatever you want,  but you can't really deny that it's the main cryptocurrency that's being used by a lot of people.  You also can't deny that most people would think of either bitcoin or draw a blank if they were asked to name a cryptocurrency.
Activity: 938
Merit: 559
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
November 21, 2017, 02:20:45 PM
There was no known decentralised cryptocurrency at the time that Bitcoin was created.  The article mentions the previous groups' "offices being raided" - they were centralised systems.

Furthermore, altcoin was not a known term at the time of Bitcoin's creation - it was created specifically to mean a coin other than Bitcoin because Bitcoin was the only major cryptocurrency for a while.  Bitcoin cannot be an altcoin when altcoin is primarily intended to mean an alternative to Bitcoin.

Even if this were the case, there is no guarantee that the past predicts the future.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1103
November 21, 2017, 02:16:25 PM
.Someone had the bright idea of putting money onto the new-fangled smartcards that were then being trialed, and so electronic cash was born.

That's not a cryptocurrency! The guy that wrote this article claims that Bitcoin wasn't the first because there were prepaid cards that functioned like money before it. That's really something new, nobody knew there were phone cards that people used to trade when they had no money, nobody heard of debit cards and other prepaid gift cards... Cheesy:D
It's time the author woke up and stopped comparing all those things to a cryptocurrency because they are not the same thing. A token you can exchange for money is nothing like a decentralized payment system with secure, encrypted transactions visible online for every user!
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
November 21, 2017, 02:09:18 PM
Call it whatever you want, shill. it is THE powerhouse and THE major crypto now.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
November 21, 2017, 02:06:49 PM
Really??? This is the first time i'm hearing this.I would say that whoever had tried to create crypto coin earlier,but it was satoshi who gave bitcoin life.He has created bitcoin in such a way that till now,banks and governments are struggling to stop bitcoin's progress.I would say that bitcoin is the pioneer in crypto currency world and it would remain as the king for a long period.
Activity: 238
Merit: 109
November 21, 2017, 01:45:27 PM
There were many cryptocurrencies before Bitcoin.

Therefore Bitcoin is an altcoin - and will also be beaten by another altcoin, just as it did itself.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/quick-history-cryptocurrencies-bbtc-bitcoin-1397682630/

Pages:
Jump to: