Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin IS basically DESTROYED - page 34. (Read 47245 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Offer escrow, receive negative trust
May 08, 2016, 04:30:15 PM
It's interesting how often China is mentioned in this thread!

What's your point?  Obviously China will be mentioned if it's subject matter in OP...you mining signature payouts or something?
Activity: 497
Merit: 251
May 08, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
It's interesting how often China is mentioned in this thread!
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
May 08, 2016, 04:09:15 PM
What would be the point in hitting 51% all they would do is devalue the coins they own.

You know, that would sorta make sense if the miners had to store their profits in BTC.
Which they do not -- they can sell BTC for USD.
Assuming that miners (who may not be planning to even stay in the mining game once their gear becomes unprofitable) have the same interests as the hodlers ... it doesn't make sense.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 521
May 08, 2016, 04:04:11 PM
Why would the fact that China is basically controlling mining do anything to Bitcoin?

The whole concept of bitcoin was based around decentralization.

If China controlls a large % of the hash power then it would only take the collaboration of a few to hit the dreaded 51% control point

What would be the point in hitting 51% all they would do is devalue the coins they own.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
May 08, 2016, 03:31:59 PM
By your logic, everyone buying BTC is "indirectly mining" BTC. Would people mine alts if not for BTC?

Without btc, I don't think so - for a very large number of altcoins. BTC is the gold of the ecosystem. Most altcoins are so volatile that you can't trust them as store of value. Even if you believe in your altcoin it will most probably have worse economic characteristics compared to BTC, and thus you are mathematically certain that you will be "diluted" or devalued in the long run. In most cases, keeping your alts in ...btc, will allow you to buy more of the same alt later on.

It's not any coincidence that the btc=gold of crypto principle has been recognized by multipool miners where you can switch between various coins all the time (to maximize profitability) and then get paid in btc directly.

By the same logic, miners selling their mined BTC are "indirectly mining" USD. Because they wouldn't mine BTC if they couldn't sell it for USD.
So ya, twisted.

Some want to sell for usd, some want to hodl. The same applies even to asic btc miners.

Well ya, people like you, who think that stolen = free. Mind you, I have nothing against theft, I just don't want you to misunderstand what you are doing.

Lol... there are various scenarios where it doesn't involve theft. And if you are paying, well... it's not theft.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
May 08, 2016, 03:16:52 PM
So if I flip burgers and buy BTC, I'm indirectly mining BTC? (Minimum wage paycheck) => (BTC), voila?
Some twisted thinking, but K.

The vast majority of altcoins don't even have altcoin X / USD pairs. You are forced through BTC first to cash them out. It's not that big of a step, or so twisted.

Apart from Ether - you can trade it against USD on BTC-e, Kraken, and now Gemini. These exchanges are hedging their bets in case bitcoin fails. All we need now is for Coinbase to join them and we have full house.
legendary
May 08, 2016, 03:06:27 PM
So if I flip burgers and buy BTC, I'm indirectly mining BTC? (Minimum wage paycheck) => (BTC), voila?

The vast majority of altcoins don't even have altcoin X / USD pairs. You are forced through BTC first to cash them out. It's not that big of a step, or so twisted.

Mining BTC with GPUs is only feasible if by "subsidized power" you mean stolen, as in stolen from Mom or your national grid.

Mining (alts)=>btc (with GPU) is happening. As I said we don't need to theorize about it. It is happening. Now.

Flat electricity bill doesn't mean you can run an aluminum smelter in your apartment, or run bitcoin mining gear, or run an extension cord to your next door neighbor, who *doesn't* have a flat electricity bill.

You are simply looking for sneaky ways to swindle your landlord, and, in the process, fuck ordinary folks who don't steal electricity, because their rents go up because of *you*.  You're actually *worse* than Chinese miners stealing subsidized power, because you are *literally costing your neighbors money.*
No wonder people shy away from bitcoiners Sad

Lol Cheesy

TL;DR: There is no such thing as free electricity. Unless by "free," you mean "steal without getting caught."

Well someone is mining with those GPUs and it ain't the Chinese...
May 08, 2016, 02:47:56 PM
USA can dominate the Bitcoin Beanie Babies scene tomorrow... They just have to shift a small percentage of their war funding to Bitcoin mining Beanie Babies production and focus Silicon valley

development on ASIC chip Beanie Babies manufacturing and they can dominate the scene. You chose your own battles...  Wink

FTFY. US government is not going to subsidize electricity to make a few guys rich when they turn it back into heat Smiley

They don't need to subsidize anything. Just sell superior hardware. Those that have access to cheap electricity will figure out the rest.

So this superior hardware will go to China? How will this affect centralization??
If shovels are made in New York, would you pan for gold in Manhattan?

We don't have to theorize on what would happen. GPU mining, for example, never became centralized in China despite the lower electric costs there.

Of course we have to theorize, otherwise this is a pointless conversation.
GPU mining was never centralized in China because Bitcoin's market cap was laughably small, because the power consumed was a fraction of the rig's cost, because people mining were weirdo hobbyists like me, who ran FurMark as an alternative, and because buying BTC directly was always more profitable.
Please.

1. GPU mining for bitcoins is alive and well. But it has to be done indirectly, through altcoins. GPU =>altcoin=>bitcoin, voila!

2. GPU miners are different than ASIC miners in that you can resell the hardware (PCs, CPUs, RAMs + the GPUs themselves) after a few years and get something back or even repurpose the systems for something else. It has even less CAPEX if you start with used hardware. Obviously, buying older GPU hardware is not the same in terms of speed and power efficiency but people with subsidized power wouldn't care that much, would they? (Kind of like saying that no matter how slow the mining hardware is, it can still be profitable with extremely cheap or free electricity)

Mining BTC with GPUs is only feasible if by "subsidized power" you mean stolen, as in stolen from Mom or your national grid.

Still, it ain't happening (China centralization of GPUs).

What the west lacks, is access to cheap and fast ASIC equipment. There are people who can run mining hardware for free (flat electricity bill)

Flat electricity bill doesn't mean you can run an aluminum smelter in your apartment, or run bitcoin mining gear, or run an extension cord to your next door neighbor, who *doesn't* have a flat electricity bill.

You are simply looking for sneaky ways to swindle your landlord, and, in the process, fuck ordinary folks who don't steal electricity, because their rents go up because of *you*.  You're actually *worse* than Chinese miners stealing subsidized power, because you are *literally costing your neighbors money.*
No wonder people shy away from bitcoiners Sad

TL;DR: There is no such thing as free electricity. Unless by "free," you mean "steal without getting caught."
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
May 08, 2016, 02:44:49 PM
Bitcoin might be destroyed (I think it's not) but there are successors anyways Smiley

Bitcoin started all this and all this won't die. It's about the idea.
Activity: 140
Merit: 10
May 08, 2016, 02:30:49 PM
Bitcoin is basically destroyed now with 70% of the mining controlled by China, soon to be 98+%, and with Blockstream implementing their SegWit soft fork Trojan Horse so as Matonis admits can end up increasing the 21 million coins limit.

The entire ecosystem is headed for a clusterfuck.

I honestly believe this is the truth.  What is there to add ?

~CfA~

Oh i believe its destroyed but for entirely different reasons

I believe it was regulated into redundancy into a decentralized paypal
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
May 08, 2016, 02:27:43 PM
If some population in some determined country use and hold Bitcoins a lot more than the other people worldwide, that's don't mean that Bitcoin itself is destroyed, because in fact that's mean that those people are interested about Bitcoin more than others
Activity: 493
Merit: 504
May 08, 2016, 02:26:02 PM
Bitcoin destroyed because of china ? If it wasn't china buyers = bitcoin will worth nothing !
legendary
May 08, 2016, 02:24:53 PM
USA can dominate the Bitcoin Beanie Babies scene tomorrow... They just have to shift a small percentage of their war funding to Bitcoin mining Beanie Babies production and focus Silicon valley

development on ASIC chip Beanie Babies manufacturing and they can dominate the scene. You chose your own battles...  Wink

FTFY. US government is not going to subsidize electricity to make a few guys rich when they turn it back into heat Smiley

They don't need to subsidize anything. Just sell superior hardware. Those that have access to cheap electricity will figure out the rest.

So this superior hardware will go to China? How will this affect centralization??
If shovels are made in New York, would you pan for gold in Manhattan?

We don't have to theorize on what would happen. GPU mining, for example, never became centralized in China despite the lower electric costs there.

Of course we have to theorize, otherwise this is a pointless conversation.
GPU mining was never centralized in China because Bitcoin's market cap was laughably small, because the power consumed was a fraction of the rig's cost, because people mining were weirdo hobbyists like me, who ran FurMark as an alternative, and because buying BTC directly was always more profitable.
Please.

1. GPU mining for bitcoins is alive and well. But it has to be done indirectly, through altcoins. GPU =>altcoin=>bitcoin, voila!

2. GPU miners are different than ASIC miners in that you can resell the hardware (PCs, CPUs, RAMs + the GPUs themselves) after a few years and get something back or even repurpose the systems for something else. It has even less CAPEX if you start with used hardware. Obviously, buying older GPU hardware is not the same in terms of speed and power efficiency but people with subsidized power wouldn't care that much, would they? (Kind of like saying that no matter how slow the mining hardware is, it can still be profitable with extremely cheap or free electricity)

Still, it ain't happening (China centralization of GPUs).

What the west lacks, is access to cheap and fast ASIC equipment. There are people who can run mining hardware for free (flat electricity bill) or very cheaply for various reasons related to their power setup, location, etc etc, yet they don't have access to cheap and fast ASICs. Theoretically they can use older hardware and still be profitable, but in the grander scheme of things, they will not represent a significant percentage of the hashrate pie while using outdated hardware. The situation would be different if there was cheap access to efficient ASIC hardware for westerners, provided by western chip industries. The situation where mining companies keep their miners for themselves and simply create farms, or sell to outsiders with very big profits, is creating mining asymmetries.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
May 08, 2016, 01:57:15 PM
Even though a country holds a large portion of the mining power, it doesn't mean it is destroyed, it just means there are a lot of people who are interested in it there, and have the money to invest in new hardware.

Also, it seems a bit melodramatic to say "they're going to have 98+%", even though they have a significant portion right now. A country having mining power doesn't mean they control it lol. As I said, it just means there are people there with money, and not all of them are interested in following orders.
Activity: 28
May 08, 2016, 01:55:47 PM
Please re-read my upthread post as I added so much to it. I am writing on behalf of TPTB_need_war who is quoted in the opening post and who is currently banned for 9 more days.

I will delete this post. Please quote my upthread post, so readers won't forget to read it.

Lol ban evasion? Tisk tisk. Keep your posts in Meta or the ban will be longer bruh Wink. I wouldn't suggest continuing posting outside of Meta at all, on any account.

"Tsk. Tsk" are the words I expect to hear from your grandmother calling you to have your daily scolding. I don't cowtail to theymos' delusions, technical incompetence, and censorship.

If I may express some frustration w.r.t. to desire to troll and censor, "Fuck you and theymos too". TPTB_need_war doesn't care. He can always subvert any ban.

Any way, TPTB_need_war is too busy programming. He has provided a public service.

And yes he was banned for revealing a potential back door in Bitcoin[1]. Just goes to show how theymos and gmaxwell are protecting you.

And yourself, how about you grow up and learn to tolerate open dialogue.

P.S. permanently banning TPTB_need_war is perfect for his plans. I hope theymos has the balls and the technical knowledge to attempt it.

Also I didn't start this thread. I didn't ask for this thread. I wasn't intending to post in this subforum at this time. Blame the person who created this thread. I read so much misunderstanding and slander of TPTB_need_war that required clarification and correction.

[1] In the ban message and in theymos's private message which is quoted by TPTP_need_war, theymos indicated the reason for the ban in addition to his incorrect claim of spouting technical nonsense, he also alleged spamming of messages in several threads and the ad hominem attacks against others. Theymos appears to be protecting Foxpop who hurled ad hominemfirst, and CIYAM who also hurled ad hominem first. TPTB_need_war had stated that the reason for posting in numerous threads, is because the mods allowed people to make numerous duplicate threads on the same topic about Craig Wright claiming to be Satoshi Nakamoto. Do take note that at the time he was having the debate with CIYAM, he had thought that Craig's signature had matched the hash of the Sartre text because he was misled by sloppy reporting and sloppy writing of those who did the technical analysis. It was only later that he learned that was not the case. And after all, his alleged back door in Bitcoin remains potentially true. You don't ban people for these incorrect reasons and expect to remain respected and expect others to not want to overcome inappropriate use of influence. There is too much ignonymous influence in Bitcoin.

...absolutely petrifying.    Cry

You did it to yourselves. Now you will reap what you have sown.

I am an American who doesn't share your looney European Marxism. Last time it was a million in the gas chambers. Let's see how it goes this round.

Shut up and get back to work on building your copy-leftist clusterfuck.

I don't associate with scum like you. I compete and overcome. Bye. Unless that is you want to say those words about my kids to my face. Otherwise we have nothing more to discuss. Enjoy your life.
May 08, 2016, 01:51:29 PM
^^Wow, you're a real rat, aren't you?

Here's the quote from a quite appropriately named 'sockpuppet1' account posting on behalf of TPTB_need_war. It look like ban evasion to me. Am I right?

Please re-read my upthread post as I added so much to it. I am writing on behalf of TPTB_need_war who is quoted in the opening post and who is currently banned for 9 more days.

I will delete this post. Please quote my upthread post, so readers won't forget to read it.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1042
May 08, 2016, 01:41:19 PM

Lol ban evasion? Tisk tisk. Keep your posts in Meta or the ban will be longer bruh Wink. I wouldn't suggest continuing posting outside of Meta at all, on any account.
Activity: 152
Merit: 100
May 08, 2016, 01:38:21 PM
how is that centralised? there's over a billion chinese  Huh

if 70% of the mining was from the USA most of you wouldn't be prattling on about it being centralised.
I think they are just jealous, because they cannot grow at China's pace.

CRY!!!  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
May 08, 2016, 01:13:18 PM
.... with their cheap electricity they are earning a shitload of money...

What you mean is they're stealing a shitload of money. 

Taxpayer money converted into electricity by government-owned power utility.

Electricity converted into bitcoin and bitcoin into privatized money by miners.

In China bitcoin mining is essentially just a channel to steal tax money.  The fact that it hasn't been forced to shut down or use non-subsidized electricity by now is probably evidence that someone is taking bribes.  (What a surprise!  That NEVER happens in China!   Cheesy)

well good for them if they are able to steal unfair and legal scam from government, called tax
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1042
May 08, 2016, 01:01:37 PM
You do realise that 'China' isn't one person / organization right? I know people feel threatened by China but it's still decentralized. If they all start merging then that's another story.
Pages:
Jump to: