Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin limit supply - page 3. (Read 549 times)

Activity: 1106
Merit: 421
July 15, 2022, 11:43:14 AM
What happens when its limit reached? will BTC price goes up instantly due to scarcity? is it the doom for Bitcoin since there is no room to mine? or maybe it will likely never reach 21 million?
In the world of cryptocurrency, nothing can be said with certainty, but the idea is that the price of bitcoin will rise when the total supply mining is over. Even then I also think that the volatility of Bitcoin prices will always be there, as it depends entirely on the trading. I do not want to confirm anything because it is not possible to tell the future of anything.
Activity: 616
Merit: 161
July 15, 2022, 11:40:59 AM
It says that there will only ever be 21 million Bitcoin and the current BTC supply is almost at 19,094,150. What happens when its limit reached? will BTC price goes up instantly due to scarcity? is it the doom for Bitcoin since there is no room to mine? or maybe it will likely never reach 21 million?

It will probably never reach it as scarcity is not the only factor why people invest. Utility is a big factor and if BTC loses it's use factor to other coins, it might fall out of favor. That's not a bad thing nor is it something unexpected, but as it get's replaced, people might loose interest.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2177
Crypto Swap Exchange
July 15, 2022, 11:21:42 AM
It says that there will only ever be 21 million Bitcoin and the current BTC supply is almost at 19,094,150. What happens when its limit reached? will BTC price goes up instantly due to scarcity?

90% of all BTC has already been mined, so it's far to say the scarcity is already at 90%. The difference between only 10% left available, and 0%, isn't really that much. Roughly +11% scarcity being the difference.

is it the doom for Bitcoin since there is no room to mine? or maybe it will likely never reach 21 million?

It'll reach 21 million in 2140 (give or take), so not for a long time still. Miners will still be incentivised to mine as it will still be for transaction fees, even if no new Bitcoins. Generally given the distribution of new Bitcoin halves every 4 years (hence halving), then the effect of no new Bitcoins to mine won't be felt that much at all, but gradually over the next 118 years.

At some point before then miners will be receiving more income from transaction fees than newly mined Bitcoin anyway, so it's designed as a gradual transition process.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
July 15, 2022, 11:09:17 AM
Supply(which is capped at 21m) is just one thing, now it will completely depend on demand. Even if a certain asset was sharply decreasing in supply, if there's not much buying, price will still go down (or at least just not go up, but sideways).

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/law-of-supply-demand.asp
Activity: 924
Merit: 728
July 15, 2022, 10:51:05 AM
This is the Satoshi's answer regarding your question

I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.

Well we can't predict how much Bitcoin would be if almost of Bitcoin has been already mined, but we can pretty sure Bitcoin price either so low since many people lose interest due to high fees (we don't know how much the fees in the future) or Bitcoin price would be very high since many people really interested and scarce.

or maybe it will likely never reach 21 million?
Correct, Bitcoin supply will never reach 21 million, but it's almost closest to 21 million on 2140 Wink
Activity: 70
Merit: 18
July 15, 2022, 10:39:58 AM
It says that there will only ever be 21 million Bitcoin and the current BTC supply is almost at 19,094,150. What happens when its limit reached? will BTC price goes up instantly due to scarcity? is it the doom for Bitcoin since there is no room to mine? or maybe it will likely never reach 21 million?
Pages:
Jump to: