Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin needs a marketeer - page 3. (Read 3340 times)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
December 28, 2011, 12:49:53 PM
It made me realise we have all these techies working on improving Bitcoin at the technical level, but virtually none of us know the Art of Marketing. To recruit even a single person who knows this area inside out would be beneficial overall I think.

Well I agree some marketing will be good to have some time.. but I think weusecoins.com is pretty good - and in fact perhaps too good. Same with some other videos from crowds like bit-pay & cryptoexchange.
We're *already* marketing at a level that seems above what can be delivered in terms of convenience.

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
December 28, 2011, 12:40:42 PM
Yes I agree that the user experience for introducing bitcoins to users is still a bit flakey.   With the skills we have amoungst the current 'bitcoiners' I am pretty sure this will improve over time though.

One of my family works for a multinational and explained that they have a person dedicated to 'credentialing' future products two years before the product launch.   Apparently this person introduces the ideas/needs that the product will address into the target market long, long before it is launched.

It made me realise we have all these techies working on improving Bitcoin at the technical level, but virtually none of us know the Art of Marketing. To recruit even a single person who knows this area inside out would be beneficial overall I think.

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
December 28, 2011, 12:28:56 PM
I think we need improvements in Bitcoin clients for mobiles before we need more marketing.

My family and friends use a mixture of iPhones and android devices.

If.. in a matter of minutes I can install a bitcoin wallet app which has an integrated QR scanner (or launches existing QR app),
and if I can then perform small demo spends between android and iPhone without
a) waiting 10 mins or so for block inclusion
b) paying a proportionally large fee even on a small amount such as 0.01 BTC

then..  I think Bitcoin has a chance to grow much more rapidly.

I've tried a few times to do some demos on friends/family phones and it's been a pretty tedious and flaky experience so far.
Full blockchain download on mobiles is a non-starter except for enthusiasts or people who specifically know about and want a local blockchain.

Wallet apps also need to explain 'where' the bitcoin private keys are kept, both in a detailed manner for the techies, but also in a user-friendly manner for the average user - at least enough to know things like:
a) if my phone is thrown in the sea do my bitcoins disappear with it
b) if the company providing the wallet goes out of business - do my bitcoins disappear with it
c) is there a way I can just hit a button, enter a password and backup/restore my wallet using a cloud service something like dropbox.

To me these things seem like basics that need to work - or the marketing is largely wasted.

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
December 28, 2011, 12:09:59 PM
lol, we should put it on craigslist
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
December 28, 2011, 11:46:44 AM
I have been talking to my family over Christmas and have come to the realisation that we really need a marketing professional to help us promote Bitcoin. At the moment it seems like we have 100 nerds trying to explain to the general public why Bitcoin is . An experienced marketing professional will do the job 10 times better than these 100 ever will.

So here is an advert that outlines what this "job" entails:

Wanted:  Experienced marketing professional wanted to persuade humanity to use Bitcoin. No remuneration,
but it will look fantastic on your resume. The project has a 50/50 chance of success. If successful, you will dine out on this success for years to come. If not, well, you will go down in a blaze of brilliant flame - Icarus will take second place.

In order to help you succeed, you will be able to draw upon the collective expertise of a phalanx of professional developers and enthusiasts.

Your marketing budget will be zero, unless you can raise some.

The world's banking institutions will want you to fail, unless you can win them round.

The world's governments will want you to fail, but Bitcoin will free their people.

Overcome these challenges and you will become famous.
Pages:
Jump to: