Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin needs to be simplified for the stupid. - page 4. (Read 7603 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
I agree + the major devs (prior to putting a price tag by a given developer) should have an internal discussion and decide (i) whether the requested feature makes sense, (ii) whether the requested feature is safe, etc. It wouldn't be sensible to pay for the feature, then get it done and not being able to incorporate into Bitcoin-Qt because other developers object.
Agreed. We certainly don't want to accept every wild-eyed request, but focus on some important projects that have community and developer consensus.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass
Yes, the basic idea sounds fair.

Good.

Before embarking on a project the requirements should be really clear to the developer and everyone contributing money to it should agree on them (to prevent disagreements later on). I also think an important requirement is to perform the work in the open, so that people can see what is happening and keep true to the open source spirit.

I agree + the major devs (prior to putting a price tag by a given developer) should have an internal discussion and decide (i) whether the requested feature makes sense, (ii) whether the requested feature is safe, etc. It wouldn't be sensible to pay for the feature, then get it done and not being able to incorporate into Bitcoin-Qt because other developers object.

A % of the money should probably be held in escrow until the feature is fully integrated and reviewed in the context of safety. Payout schedule should at least be discussed beforehand.

I agree.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
I don't know about making things simple but whatever you do could be explained a lot better, there have been years or months I've spent arguing with people to give better explanations from all professions not just people using cryptographic currencies. Someone just needs to get off their arses and write a very simple tutorial for mining the alternate currencies for example, then there's the fucking programming tutorials where they leave bits out and don't explain why they've told you to do something and so on.

Like I said, I'm not asking you guys to simplify anything, I think Bitcoin has actually been explained quite well which I suspect is why most people use it but good luck with the other stuff, it amazes me that people went and made stuff like Litecoin and didn't think about how the average person was going to use it. Just make sure that when you do something or you ask them to change a setting etc. you explain why, or for example you can give absolute beginner explanations for people just starting out rather than assuming everyone knows how to code already.

As embarrassing as it is I must have spent a good few months trying to figure out why my photoshop paintings were so damn blurry then I discovered it was just the brush hardness because none of the painting tutorials I followed mentioned that's what you need to get nice clear images. That and a high enough resolution that wouldn't break your computer and cause photoshop to freeze, all just because people forgot to mention things like that to beginners.
Another community funding idea.

It could work like this:

1. People submit their feature requests like in this project management site http://www.multicharts.com/pm/ (loads slowly).
2. Then developers put a price tag for requests they can handle + specify time they agree to complete the task.
3. Then people commit to pay the whole price (it will take a week or two if the feature is desired or years if the feature is unwanted)
4. When 100% of the price from the price tag is paid to a particular developer's address, the developer starts coding.
5. The feature is added to Bitcoin-Qt (e.g. documentation) after reviewing by other developers in context of safety.

Thanks

Yes, the basic idea sounds fair.

Before embarking on a project the requirements should be really clear to the developer and everyone contributing money to it should agree on them (to prevent disagreements later on). I also think an important requirement is to perform the work in the open, so that people can see what is happening and keep true to the open source spirit.

A % of the money should probably be held in escrow until the feature is fully integrated and reviewed in the context of safety. Payout schedule should at least be discussed beforehand.
Another community funding idea.

It could work like this:

1. People submit their feature requests like in this project management site http://www.multicharts.com/pm/ (loads slowly).
2. Then developers put a price tag for requests they can handle + specify time they agree to complete the task.
3. Then people commit to pay the whole price (it will take a week or two if the feature is desired or years if the feature is unwanted)
4. When 100% of the price from the price tag is paid to a particular developer's address, the developer starts coding.
5. The feature is added to Bitcoin-Qt (e.g. documentation) after reviewing by other developers in context of safety.

Thanks
I can understand wiki should work this way, but at least there should be an easy to understand Bitcoin-Qt documentation for grandmas / surgeons / movie makers / non-geeks written in easy English.
Another community funding idea. Maybe for an artistic tool which people really love someone will write a nice documentation out of love, but that's not going to happen for something as abstract as Bitcoin.
We'd need to find a technical writer with a track record of writing good software documentation, and employ that person to write a manual for Bitcoin-Qt (with community input).

Maybe something like the pypy donation drive could work, let people donate to certain subprojects and execute them when they are funded: http://pypy.org/ (and return the funds if something isn't funded by a certain deadline, or doesn't pan out).

... quite right ... some guy posted something about his circle of friends giving him blank stares whenever he mentioned bitcoin and looked up at the title of the OP ... 2+2= ??

Marcus, Bitcoin is a disruptive technology. I feel it. But understanding the mechanics (change addresses, algorithims of calculating the fees, e.g. why should older coins be better rewarded than new ones? - I still don't get this logic, but accept the way it works, etc.) are a novelty in the whole world. Please do not get surprised people give blank stares.

One day you too might give a blank stare in a field you do not know.

The OP's intentions were clear: to ease the learning proccess for ''the stupid'' thus allowing Bitcoin to go mainstream.
WHY would they want to understand that? Either they are very interested and put some of their brain capacity into learning it (geek out), or they don't. Either way, they're not hurt right?

Specialization is a good thing in this complex world. I wouldn't know where to start implanting organs, and if I spent my time learning that (if I could at all) then I cannot spend that time into learning to write better software. So we have this thing called trade... and hey, we're on the bitcoin forums, our aim is to make that easier Smiley

John, reading through the wiki is not easy. You read an article which mentions say 30 geeky terms like ''JSON-RPC API''. Shit, then you spend 2 hours understanding these terms. But to understand these terms you have to dig deeper.

I can understand wiki should work this way, but at least there should be an easy to understand Bitcoin-Qt documentation for grandmas / surgeons / movie makers / non-geeks written in easy English.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
... yeah I'm pretty sure a surgeon doesn't need to know about rawtransactions unless he's had a change of heart and is looking for a career change ... what's your real point here?

My point is: not everybody who doesn't understand intricacies of Bitcoin and / or is unwilling to learn this not-easy-stuff should be labelled ''stupid''.

... quite right ... some guy posted something about his circle of friends giving him blank stares whenever he mentioned bitcoin and looked up at the title of the OP ... 2+2= ??
I write song lyrics, movie dialogues, etc. Using Excel overwhelms my circuits. I can't help Cry

Maybe we could have an auction of feature requests in which Bitcoin-Qt user would commit to pay and pay the developers for speeding up certain features? - Just an idea. The feature requests that get the most funding would be considered the most desired. Market decides.
Sounds like a good idea. In any case, we can't rely on the Bitcoin Foundation to fund GUIs and user-friendly features. That's not their ballpark.

If somehow the community could fund active development in features and improvements that *they* want that'd be great.

There is: http://bitcoinbounties.com/  which can attach bounties to github issies. I'm not sure how well it works and/or how trustable it is though. But we have one data point: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/2480 .

In any case, if we could get some community-funded initiative going I (and other devs) would be much more motivated to work on the bitcoin project, maybe even full time.
... yeah I'm pretty sure a surgeon doesn't need to know about rawtransactions unless he's had a change of heart and is looking for a career change ... what's your real point here?

My point is: not everybody who doesn't understand intricacies of Bitcoin and / or is unwilling to learn this not-easy-stuff should be labelled ''stupid''.
When a developer feels like implementing it and has time to do it. There is not really a timeline as we're working on this on our spare time. All help is appreciated.

I write song lyrics, movie dialogues, etc. Using Excel overwhelms my circuits. I can't help Cry

Maybe we could have an auction of feature requests in which Bitcoin-Qt user would commit to pay and pay the developers for speeding up certain features? - Just an idea. The feature requests that get the most funding would be considered the most desired. Market decides.
I have a colleague who is a surgeon + researcher on 3D printed organs. He makes magical stuff and is definitely not stupid. He works 16h a day. He could devote 1 hour a week to learn bitcoin. Imagine him trying to understand what raw transactions are: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Raw_Transactions

People want to learn, but the stuff is described in a way too hard for non-geeks to understand within their lifetime.
WHY would they want to understand that? Either they are very interested and put some of their brain capacity into learning it (geek out), or they don't. Either way, they're not hurt right?

Specialization is a good thing in this complex world. I wouldn't know where to start implanting organs, and if I spent my time learning that (if I could at all) then I cannot spend that time into learning to write better software. So we have this thing called trade... and hey, we're on the bitcoin forums, our aim is to make that easier Smiley

legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
... they do not want to learn then?

I have a colleague who is a surgeon + researcher on 3D printed organs. He makes magical stuff and is definitely not stupid. He works 16h a day. He could devote 1 hour a week to learn bitcoin. Imagine him trying to understand what raw transactions are: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Raw_Transactions

People want to learn, but the stuff is described in a way too hard for non-geeks to understand within their lifetime.

... they do not want to learn then?

It will support "sweep", ie, "send me all coins from this private key", without adding the key to the wallet.

This ''sweep'' feature is nice. Do you have an idea when it might be implemented?
When a developer feels like implementing it and has time to do it. There is not really a timeline as we're working on this on our spare time. All help is appreciated.
My guess is that a natively supported import of private keys in Armory also potentially leads to existing private keys in multiple places?
Yes. Using a different client won't protect you against those risks, although I'm not up to date on how Armory handles it, maybe it does a "sweep" already. I refered to Armory because it has a built-in "use case" for offline/paper wallets, which may make it somewhat safer for users as they're told what (and what not) to do. Which is better than randomly fiddling around with RPC commands found on a wiki, for example.

It will support "sweep", ie, "send me all coins from this private key", without adding the key to the wallet.

This ''sweep'' feature is nice. Do you have an idea when it might be implemented?

This is superior for all cases that involve paper wallets, as unlike a naive "add to wallet" it does not encourage keys to exist in multiple places, potentially leading to all kinds of problems for the unaware.

My guess is that a natively supported import of private keys in Armory also potentially leads to existing private keys in multiple places?
BTW, is there a reason why Bitcoin-Qt would not support (in future) a native feature of private key importing?
It will support "sweep", ie, "send me all coins from this private key", without adding the key to the wallet. This is superior for all cases that involve paper wallets, as unlike a naive "add to wallet" it does not encourage keys to exist in multiple places, potentially leading to all kinds of problems for the unaware.

And also it will still work for Hierarchical Deterministic (HD) wallets in which all keys are generated from one seed, so naive importing isn't even possible.
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
pretty much all of my friends have no desire to use bitcoin when I try to explain it to them and they tend to just have a blank stare on their face.

... consider that maybe you are hanging out with stupid people?

Come on... being IT-not-gifted does not equal being stupid. His friends may very well be great musicians, dancers, writers. How would you react when labelled stupid for your potential poor musical, dancing or writing skills?

ok .. it was half tongue in cheek but it has flushed out some of the truth of the matter ... they do not want to learn then?
Solution: if you need paper wallets, use a client that supports this natively, such as Armory.

Do not tell non-technical people to mess around with individual private/public keys in Bitcoin-Qt. NEVER.

I do not need it. Importing private key was just an example of how ''grandmas'' or ''the stupid'' will think.

BTW, is there a reason why Bitcoin-Qt would not support (in future) a native feature of private key importing?
Pages:
Jump to: