Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Negative Public Image - page 2. (Read 3131 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
V for Victory or Rather JustV8
April 04, 2013, 08:41:11 AM
Bitcoin has had a ton of positive publicity recently and nobody ever complains when positive publicity is based on hyperbole rather than fact.

Bitcoin is absolutely being traded like a commodity at the moment.  It's naive to believe that the majority of people speculating on Bitcoin prices right now intend to hold them long term or use them to purchase things.  Many of them will dump their coins when there's little volatility.

Yes, there's a lot of lazy journalism.  This applies to both the good and the bad.  Time after time inaccurate articles start off on arstechnica or wired and nobody does any fact-checking before they start appearing everywhere else.  That's equally true of mainstream news stories.

For every person who wants Bitcoin to "go mainstream", there's another Bitcoin user who thinks that could kill Bitcoin and that the emphasis should be on it being a disruptive technology.

There's no cohesive "Bitcoin agenda".  Nor does there need to be.  People want and expect different things from Bitcoin and they use it for different reasons and in different ways.  It's not surprising, then, that media reporting regarding Bitcoin is all over the place and rarely balanced.

It's pretty much up to each of the groups with an agenda (whether it's the "mainstreamers" or the crypto-anarchists), to take responsibility for getting the kinds of stories they'd like to see about Bitcoin published - bearing in mind that each group will likely be displeased by a report regarded as "positive" by the other.

Bitcoin unfortunately still connotes "drugs", "gambling", or other illegal things, even though these have now become very small portions of the Bitcoin economy.

Silkroad would like to tell you otherwise...
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
April 04, 2013, 01:13:06 AM
the negative image is fake it requires no math and is simply wallstreet trying to get all the coin
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
April 04, 2013, 12:10:39 AM
I've thought about going crazy on the comments on every news article that is posted, and debating anyone and everyone who has a negative viewpoint of Bitcoin.  Including the author, of course, if they said something like that.

Then I realized that this would be nearly a full-time job.
When reading articles, a common misconception about Bitcoin is that it's a business.  I realized at some point that Bitcoin is something like a business, but in a web 3.0 kind of way.

In a business, people apply and get hired after passing through HR.  A better model is like we have here (in theory) where everyone is "applying" by participating.  And naturally, individuals slowly begin to stand out, and are respected on their merits (or are loved for their lols).  What they contribute is used to benefit the company - charts, links to latest headlines, first glimpse of breaking news.

We "invest time in our product" and expect that that product will in turn generate value, and thus we get our "paycheck" as the adoption increases (price goes up, or we gain financial freedoms, etc.).  The irony I think is that this is the more correct model of how businesses should work - people, believing in something, work towards it.

Back to what you were talking about, what I see happening is that we in the Bitcoin community have a small army of PR people who get on the comment section of the news articles, and fix the misconceptions and encourage the proper discussion.  When I hop on in there, part of me is self-motivated, but another part of me feels like an enthusiastic employee working for Bitcoin.
Yes, I agree. I only wish I didn't have to have a day-job so I could dedicate myself to such activities!
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
April 04, 2013, 12:08:17 AM
I've thought about going crazy on the comments on every news article that is posted, and debating anyone and everyone who has a negative viewpoint of Bitcoin.  Including the author, of course, if they said something like that.

When reading articles, a common misconception about Bitcoin is that it's a business.  I realized at some point that Bitcoin is something like a business, but in a web 3.0 kind of way.

In a business, people apply and get hired after passing through HR.  A better model is like we have here (in theory) where everyone is "applying" by participating.  And naturally, individuals slowly begin to stand out, and are respected on their merits (or are loved for their lols).  What they contribute is used to benefit the company - charts, links to latest headlines, first glimpse of breaking news.

We "invest time in our product" and expect that that product will in turn generate value, and thus we get our "paycheck" as the adoption increases (price goes up, or we gain financial freedoms, etc.).  The irony I think is that this is the more correct model of how businesses should work - people, believing in something, work towards it.

Back to what you were talking about, what I see happening is that we in the Bitcoin community have a small army of PR people who get on the comment section of the news articles, and fix the misconceptions and encourage the proper discussion.  When I hop on in there, part of me is self-motivated, but another part of me feels like an enthusiastic employee working for Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076
April 03, 2013, 11:36:19 PM
Bitcoin has had a ton of positive publicity recently and nobody ever complains when positive publicity is based on hyperbole rather than fact.

Bitcoin is absolutely being traded like a commodity at the moment.  It's naive to believe that the majority of people speculating on Bitcoin prices right now intend to hold them long term or use them to purchase things.  Many of them will dump their coins when there's little volatility.

Yes, there's a lot of lazy journalism.  This applies to both the good and the bad.  Time after time inaccurate articles start off on arstechnica or wired and nobody does any fact-checking before they start appearing everywhere else.  That's equally true of mainstream news stories.

For every person who wants Bitcoin to "go mainstream", there's another Bitcoin user who thinks that could kill Bitcoin and that the emphasis should be on it being a disruptive technology.

There's no cohesive "Bitcoin agenda".  Nor does there need to be.  People want and expect different things from Bitcoin and they use it for different reasons and in different ways.  It's not surprising, then, that media reporting regarding Bitcoin is all over the place and rarely balanced.

It's pretty much up to each of the groups with an agenda (whether it's the "mainstreamers" or the crypto-anarchists), to take responsibility for getting the kinds of stories they'd like to see about Bitcoin published - bearing in mind that each group will likely be displeased by a report regarded as "positive" by the other.

Bitcoin unfortunately still connotes "drugs", "gambling", or other illegal things, even though these have now become very small portions of the Bitcoin economy.
Activity: 868
April 03, 2013, 11:31:35 PM

April 03, 2013, 11:12:25 PM
Author is clearly bottom of the barrel.  Probably hired via nepotism or is having sex with someone higher up.

Oh dear god, what an unlucky man!
April 03, 2013, 11:09:38 PM
It's been annoying me for a while how so many people view bitcoin in such a negative light.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/03/bitcoin-currency-bubble-crash-not-rocking-financial-markets

While theoretically it can be used for respectable online purchases, it is too complicated to buy and maintain for people who aren't online 18 hours a day

Haha, I stopped reading right there. Did you see the picture of the journalist ? Typical fat negative woman, sipping her cofee and spewing status quo propaganda. The intelligent read will see through that bullshit. News are supposed to be objective, this is highly subjective with a negative twist. I don't even understand that she bothers. She's probably the same type of ladies you find everywhere in Britain, not very attractive, but very quick to thrash-talk anything that's great, be it bitcoin or a beautiful woman. This piece, although I just read a few paragraphs was so bad, that I would be really ashamed if I had her in my newspaper if I was the boss. Luckily, the media coverage has indeed changed for the better, and I hope most people do not believe everything that's on the news. This was hoghwash deluxe.

On another note: I think media overall is more positive to bitcoin now. Great things are happening, not just hacks and scams.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
April 03, 2013, 08:24:24 PM
As a publication, the Guardian comes across politically as:

-anti war
-anti corporatism
-anti poverty
-anti corruption
-pro big government
-pro innovation

And so, when a technology comes along which actually has a chance to succeed at achieving all but one of their principles, and the Guardian morphs into an ignorant mis-information troll? Totally surreal.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
April 03, 2013, 07:47:27 PM
We have a negative public image against those who are threatened by Bitcoin's success.

I like the ones who live so deep in the world of people controlling the economy over math that they discount Bitcoin based upon the fact that they cannot find out more about Satoshi. The whole Bitcoin concept is a black hole to them without the ability to judge a system based upon the personality of its creator.
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1278
Primedice.com, Stake.com
April 03, 2013, 07:46:45 PM
I don't know where to start with this one. Is this what journalism has come to? "Ha ha, you're nerds. Ha ha, your little currency experiment is stupid and *pointless*. Ha ha. Bitcoin is a bubble. Ha ha ha"

Her first ever article for Guardian CiF was on the Facebook IPO. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/may/18/facebook-ipos)
If you read it while replacing "Facebook" with "Bitcoin", it's almost the same article.

What the fuck is this woman's problem? She clearly hates 'geeks', and appears to be such a gargantuan idiot that she can't tell the difference between a ponzi IPO and the world's first cryptocurrency.

Nice find, and very true. I just can't believe someone who writes articles for the guardian can just make up such blatant lies about dictators hiding their money in bitcoins etc.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
April 03, 2013, 07:06:51 PM
People first hear about it they think it's nuts. Everyone needs to do there own research and create an opinion on the information. They need to stop judging it off of what journalists say.
Activity: 280
V for Victory or Rather JustV8
April 03, 2013, 07:04:39 PM
Bitcoin being great tool for buying drugs and money laundering are selling points that differentiates it from PayPal or similar controlled systems. I see no problem with it.

P.S. Dictators cashing out using Bitcoins must be a joke.

Have you seen just how many drugs you can buy with bitcoin? Also, you are more likely to be tracked with paypal, than with bitcoin. I wouldn't be too surprised if "dictators" and a few other rulers jumped in as well, as it is a fairly good way to funnel funds in for mercenaries, hint hint. <_< >_>

Ironically, if the US and other countries blacklist them for aid and stuff they can just create underground server bunkers, mine Bitcoin, and funnel that around for everything their country needs to win a war.
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
April 03, 2013, 06:56:08 PM
Yellow journalism at its finest Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029
Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!
April 03, 2013, 06:40:05 PM
Bitcoin being great tool for buying drugs and money laundering are selling points that differentiates it from PayPal or similar controlled systems. I see no problem with it.

P.S. Dictators cashing out using Bitcoins must be a joke.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
April 03, 2013, 06:39:13 PM
I don't know where to start with this one. Is this what journalism has come to? "Ha ha, you're nerds. Ha ha, your little currency experiment is stupid and *pointless*. Ha ha. Bitcoin is a bubble. Ha ha ha"

Her first ever article for Guardian CiF was on the Facebook IPO. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/may/18/facebook-ipos)
If you read it while replacing "Facebook" with "Bitcoin", it's almost the same article.

What the fuck is this woman's problem? She clearly hates 'geeks', and appears to be such a gargantuan idiot that she can't tell the difference between a ponzi IPO and the world's first cryptocurrency.
Activity: 294
You are a geek if you are too early to the party!
April 03, 2013, 06:35:26 PM
It's the Guardian!

Their readership are public sector drones who think everyone should give their money to help the government give pay rises to public sector employees!

You can't convert them, so you are better off ignoring them!

Interesting rumour about the Guardian is that they headline companies they claim don't pay enough tax in the UK with the obvious exception of their own publishers who have millions invested in some tropical island somewhere - no idea if its true! Wink
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
April 03, 2013, 06:26:09 PM
Is there any proof of "money laundering for dictators"? Bullshit article and gotta wonder what her agenda is to write something so strongly worded. Also, I had no idea that I have to be online 18 hours a day to "maintain" my money, like it's gonna disappear if I'm away Shocked

[edit] Also, "hackers"? This woman still lives in a world where everybody who knows something about computers is a "hacker", making it sound like they're criminals.

Author is clearly bottom of the barrel.  Probably hired via nepotism or is having sex with someone higher up.

Unfortunately, although Bitcoin brings many benefits to humanity, it's outside of its scope to fix worldwide stupidity, in the UK or anywhere else.  We will simply have to learn to tolerate and laugh at these kinds of articles while our butler serves us caviar in our Learjets.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Admin at blockbet.net
April 03, 2013, 06:09:27 PM
Is there any proof of "money laundering for dictators"? Bullshit article and gotta wonder what her agenda is to write something so strongly worded. Also, I had no idea that I have to be online 18 hours a day to "maintain" my money, like it's gonna disappear if I'm away Shocked

[edit] Also, "hackers"? This woman still lives in a world where everybody who knows something about computers is a "hacker", making it sound like they're criminals.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
April 03, 2013, 06:08:21 PM
I've thought about going crazy on the comments on every news article that is posted, and debating anyone and everyone who has a negative viewpoint of Bitcoin.  Including the author, of course, if they said something like that.

Pages:
Jump to: