Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin or Gold? What would you pick? - page 3. (Read 7782 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Richard Coleman - Chief Executive @ CloudThink.IO
Gold is more certain.
If you want to risk more, bitcoin is good.
Depends on what you like. Risky or not.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
I currently need some bucks so I would choose gold since the BTC and gold in the example just have same value.. Because gold is easier to sell everywhere  Just my two cents. Tongue
Activity: 11
Bitcoin.Although the discovery is big, but can bring more profits.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
Then the thing can be sealed in such a way that if anyone opens it, you destroy the physical bitcoin. You'd have to re-create the coin, but then it would be obvious.

This part is troublesome. Crooks will always find out various methods, to open the coin without physically destroying the Bitcoin. Also what if the manufacturer of these coins copy the private key to somewhere else, before entering them to the coins?

Yes, so, if the coin were purely physical, like casascius coins, people have already managed to expose the private key without destroying the hologram sticker.

But if the physical coins were actually chips sealed in epoxy or something, there is no way to x-ray that, and the only point of contact would be the terminals, but all the chip can do is sign a message.

Sure you can probably empty or sweep the bitcoins away, but anyone who can see the blockchain will know.

I think, that's the main issue, the only sure fire way to know if any physical coin has real bitcoins is to check the blockchain, therefore internet service is required. There is only a token amount of certainty if you have an offline blockchain that is not updated in real time.

But if a particular bitcoin address has held a value for a long time, it might make sense to assume that it will continue to have that balance.

So there are two ways to make physical coins:

1. low tech way, just a coin secured by how it is sealed, brittle, easily destroyed, not easy to recreate, and has low value so it won't be a target since it costs more to "open it up".

2. smart chip or something and only a serial terminal to communicate with it. Think of yubikeys, for example.

You combine both methods to produce a smart chip that dies easily if someone attempts to open it, rendering the coin useless.

For my own personal use, I could get a micro SD card and seal it in it's original container, then sink that in a small cup of resin. When the thing dries, I'd have to carefully break it out. Those memory cards can last maybe 10 years, more if not use and sealed like that.

Of course, no one else would believe that this little blob can possibly contain the private key.

I'd still pick bitcoin over gold, at least for the next 5 years.
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Vintage4X4

choose both?  half BTC, half in gold.  Grin

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
$5 video rental + gas cost to drive to Blockbuster, or Netflix, which would you pick?

Horse and buggy or ultra-cheap electric car, which would you pick?

$2000 Airplane ticket or $2 teleportation fee, which would you pick?
Activity: 714
Merit: 503
blackcoin actually Smiley

If you want to advertise about some worthless dump-and-pump shit-coin, then do it somewhere else. I believe that the proliferance of these shit-coins is one of the main reasons for the decline in Bitcoin exchange rates right now.

I have to agree with you. Bitcoin is already struggling with its reputation these days. With every one of these altcoins that come out, bitcoins credibility only worsens. I will say one thing about blackcoin though, at least it sounds better than some of the ridiculous alt coins out there.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217

If you want to advertise about some worthless dump-and-pump shit-coin, then do it somewhere else. I believe that the proliferance of these shit-coins is one of the main reasons for the decline in Bitcoin exchange rates right now.
Activity: 330
Merit: 100
Activity: 155
I must go it Bitcoin. Because i can use it as a medium of exchange. Which can't happen with Gold and also Bitcoin is getting popularity faster. Some of you talk about Gold. I don't understand why are you thinking about Gold.
Activity: 25
IMO, Bitcoin is more efficient as a mode of exchange cos it doesn't need someone to mind it (as with your bank accounts).
So If I want to transfer $100,000 to Germany because I'm relocating, I don't have to deal with any of the regulatory bullshit that is going to take 2 weeks and $300 just to get my own money. I simply use bitcoin and all of the taxes and fees are gone.

Is it good for me? OFC! I hope Bitcoin will be our future.
Activity: 714
Merit: 503
I believe in BTC, much better than gold

not at this point it isn't.  What can you buy with gold?  Lots of stuff and almost anyone would accept gold as payment.  Can't say the same thing about bitcoin, you can buy very little with it and very few people will accept it as payment.
Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
Gold is pretty much hacker proof

Is Gold safe cracker proof though?

Activity: 43
Gold is pretty much hacker proof
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
I believe in BTC, much better than gold
Activity: 4
There is a hard floor for gold don't know where but the downside is limited not so with bitcoin. so only gold will be sure to have value in a few years time.
Activity: 222
gold is much more practical right now.
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
Bitcoin is our future,gold is our Reality. To be or not to be, is the question.
Activity: 24
I would say BitCoin for sure. There is so much more of a fluctuation change with BitCoin.
Activity: 37
I will also go for GOLD ..
Pages:
Jump to: