Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources - page 15. (Read 430886 times)

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
January 31, 2012, 06:49:17 PM
Author Interview: Paul Rosenberg on A Lodging of Wayfaring Men

This Part 1 of an interview with Paul Rosenberg, author of "A Lodging of Wayfaring Men".

Instantly named Freedom Book of The Month and a major influence in the Cyber-underground, A Lodging of Wayfaring Men is the story of freedom-seekers who create an alternative society on the Internet - a virtual society, with no possibility of oversight or control. It grows so fast that governments and "leaders" are terrified, and fight to co-opt this cyber-society before it undermines the power of the governing elite.

In this interview Paul talks about his intellectual development, his influences and the background to writing the book. He discusses the parallels between the novel and recent developments in crypto-currency, such as Bitcoin. He shares his thoughts on the current state of the internet, prospects for liberty and the potential for developing communities of people with shared values.

Podcast Episode

free edition: http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Article/059017-2009-10-06-free-e-book-a-lodging-of-wayfaring-men.htm

This entire work is copyright 2007 by Paul A. Rosenberg and released
under the terms of a Creative Commons U.S. Attribution-
NonCommercial-ShareAlike license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/).
Some Rights Reserved.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
January 31, 2012, 06:17:37 PM
Author Interview: Paul Rosenberg on A Lodging of Wayfaring Men

This Part 1 of an interview with Paul Rosenberg, author of "A Lodging of Wayfaring Men".

Instantly named Freedom Book of The Month and a major influence in the Cyber-underground, A Lodging of Wayfaring Men is the story of freedom-seekers who create an alternative society on the Internet - a virtual society, with no possibility of oversight or control. It grows so fast that governments and "leaders" are terrified, and fight to co-opt this cyber-society before it undermines the power of the governing elite.

In this interview Paul talks about his intellectual development, his influences and the background to writing the book. He discusses the parallels between the novel and recent developments in crypto-currency, such as Bitcoin. He shares his thoughts on the current state of the internet, prospects for liberty and the potential for developing communities of people with shared values.

Podcast Episode

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
January 30, 2012, 10:01:20 PM
wow, it's rare that any mainstream news would actually post a link to SR.

it's obviously also rare they check the links they post. Had they done it, they would've noticed that the url changed to silkraod.......onion (link crippled due to forum rules), which is actually made to be memorized Wink.

I'm sorry, I posted the full link to SR previously, but the forum software detected it as a "link to illegal content" and replaced it with message threatening to ban me should I try to circumvent the prevention measure, hehe. Fine with me, people will find SR if they want to. Following the link posted in the forbes piece leads to a page with the new url.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
January 30, 2012, 09:55:48 PM

Getting to Silk Road is tricky. The URL seems made to be forgotten.

wow, it's rare that any mainstream news would actually post a link to SR.

(note, i edited out the link for this forum)
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
January 30, 2012, 07:29:35 PM
RT/usa talks about megaupload and silkroad, mentions bitcoin 4x.

http://rt.com/usa/news/illegal-silk-road-guns-107/
Activity: 1138
Merit: 523
Activity: 637
Merit: 502
January 30, 2012, 08:00:52 AM
In an important Canadian newspaper
http://business.financialpost.com/2012/01/27/wiki-joins-rating-game/ (search bitcoin)
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
January 30, 2012, 03:26:32 AM
If this hasn't been posted before, there's a new Gawker article about Silk Road by Adrien Chen, the author of the previous one.

http://gawker.com/5879924/now-you-can-buy-guns-on-the-online-underground-marketplace

"Yesterday, Betabeat pointed out that Silk Road still exists..."
( http://www.betabeat.com/2012/01/26/eight-months-after-sen-chuck-schumer-blasted-bitcoin-silk-road-is-still-booming/ )

my face when betabeat gets all the credit and 72 upvotes for carbon copying my bitcoinmedia article and i got 10 upvotes on reddit :[

lame

Here's the original work http://bitcoinmedia.com/thank-you-schumer/

Bitcoin Media articles have been on Slashdot 3 times, and they have everytime linked the original article and mentioned the author's name. idk maybe I shouldn't care.

Unfortunately, this will continue so long as articles about bitcoin are only written on blogs, private websites, and forums. I truly believe the Bitcoin Magazine will change this. I dare BetaBeat to carbon-copy a Bitcoin Magazine article of yours like they do for bitcoinmedia.com's blogs. If anything, they'll quote the magazine.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
January 27, 2012, 08:32:16 PM
If this hasn't been posted before, there's a new Gawker article about Silk Road by Adrien Chen, the author of the previous one.

http://gawker.com/5879924/now-you-can-buy-guns-on-the-online-underground-marketplace

"Yesterday, Betabeat pointed out that Silk Road still exists..."
( http://www.betabeat.com/2012/01/26/eight-months-after-sen-chuck-schumer-blasted-bitcoin-silk-road-is-still-booming/ )

my face when betabeat gets all the credit and 72 upvotes for carbon copying my bitcoinmedia article and i got 10 upvotes on reddit :[

lame

Here's the original work http://bitcoinmedia.com/thank-you-schumer/

Bitcoin Media articles have been on Slashdot 3 times, and they have everytime linked the original article and mentioned the author's name. idk maybe I shouldn't care.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
January 27, 2012, 04:15:55 PM

Activity: 321
Merit: 250
Bitbuy.nl!
January 26, 2012, 10:19:20 PM
www.anonyupload.com has been in the news a lot and already has 53000 facebook shares. Quite a lot of short bitcoinreferences in all of those articles about the site.

Eg. http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/security-it/anonyupload-faceless-group-steps-in-after-kim-dotcoms-arrest-20120124-1qewy.html

If the person behind this site actually delivers something this will influence Bitcoin.

This really looks like a scam. First they list all the reasons not to use a centralized service for uploads anymore but then goes on to say "hey, but don't worry, use us, we're going to be different." and they even say they're not a scam which makes me think all the more that they are, lol.

I completely agree, time will tell.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
January 26, 2012, 10:16:29 PM
www.anonyupload.com has been in the news a lot and already has 53000 facebook shares. Quite a lot of short bitcoinreferences in all of those articles about the site.

Eg. http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/security-it/anonyupload-faceless-group-steps-in-after-kim-dotcoms-arrest-20120124-1qewy.html

If the person behind this site actually delivers something this will influence Bitcoin.

This really looks like a scam. First they list all the reasons not to use a centralized service for uploads anymore but they go on to say "hey, but don't worry, use us, we're going to be different." and they even say they're not a scam which makes me think all the more that they are, lol.
Activity: 321
Merit: 250
Bitbuy.nl!
January 26, 2012, 09:19:13 PM

staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
January 24, 2012, 11:43:26 AM
‘Cool, But a Hassle’: Bitcoin Tests Merchants’ Patience
http://www.americanbanker.com/bankthink/The-Good-Wife-Bitcoin-for-Dummies-1045987-1.html

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
January 23, 2012, 03:25:39 PM
Burger, Bier und Bitcoins - a short feature aired today by the big public-service German television broadcaster ZDF about Berlin's bar/restaurant room77 that accepts bitcoins. The feature concludes that Bitcoin won't be serious competition to dollars or euros because it's used by nerds only. phew  Cool

- German thread

I thought that was really the most fair and good quality report on Bitcoin we can ever hope to get from the corporate media. They even explained the technical details almost completely accurate and yet fairly simplified.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
January 21, 2012, 09:50:26 PM
Burger, Bier und Bitcoins - a short feature aired today by the big public-service German television broadcaster ZDF about Berlin's bar/restaurant room77 that accepts bitcoins. The feature concludes that Bitcoin won't be serious competition to dollars or euros because it's used by nerds only. phew  Cool

- German thread

I've always wanted to know how long it takes me to transcript and translate 3.5 minutes of video. Too long. But here is the result:

German transcript:
Burger Bier soweit alles Standard in dieser Berliner Bar.
Aber eines braucht der Kunde hier nicht: Bargeld.
Denn in der Kneipe von Jörg Platzer kann man mit Bitcoins bezahlen, einer alternative Digitalwährung.
Kellner: "Das macht dann 15€. Umgerechnet in Bitcoins ... macht das ... 2.77Bitcoins."
Manuel: "Ich bezahl meinen Burger mit Bitcoins. Ich muss nicht mehr zur Bank gehen. Brauch kein Bargeld mehr und bezahl einfach mit dem Handy."
Bezahlen mit dem Handy oder dem Laptop. Ohne Banken oder Kreditkartenunternehmen.
Weltweit und überall.
Bitcoins, kein Geld zum Anfassen sondern virtuell. Basierend auf einer mathematischen Formel und in der Menge begrenzt auf 21Mio Stück.
Lädt der User die dazugehörige Software herunter, wird er Teil der Bitcoin-Community.
Er erhäldt eine digitale Geldbörse mit einem Verschlüsselungscode.
Nun kann er im Netz Bitcoins tauschen. Ganz klassisch gegen Währungen wie Euro oder Dollar oder gegen Waren und Dienstleistungen.
Noch ist die Gemeinde klein. Schätzungsweise 100.000 Menschen nutzen Bitcoins derzeit weltweit.
Zusammen mit anderen Pionieren hat Barbesitzer Jörg Platzer ein kleines Unternehmen gegründet.
Für sie ist die Digitalwährung ein großes globales Experiement mit Zukunftspotential.
Johann-Friedrich Gallas: "Man kann innerhalb von Sekunden von Deutschland nach China 1 Cent oder auch 1000€ schicken, ohne dass es dabei Reibungsverluste gibt durch klassische Drittanbieter wie Banken oder Zahlungsdienstleister. Bitcoin funktioniert von Person zu Person."
Denn alle Bitcoin Teilnehmer bilden ein Netzwerk. Wechseln Bitcoins den Besitzer, wird dies von einem speziellen, leistungsstarken Rechner im Netz überprüft, authorisiert und in einer öffentlichen Datei abgespeichert.
Die aktualisierte Datei wird dann an alle Teilnehmer verschickt.
Dadurch sind alle informiert, wieviele Bitcoins in Umlauf sind.
Das schließt Fälschungen und doppelte Verwendungen aus.
Für die selbsternannten Wirtschaftsreformer ist dieses dezentrale Verfahren das Entscheidende. Kein Staat, keine Zentralbank bestimmt.
Vielmehr vertrauen sie darauf, (Jörg Platzer:)"dass ganz viele Menschen sich ansehen können nach welchen Regeln diese Währung funktioniert.
Dass diese Regeln demokratisch von der Community ... festgelegt werden und in Quelltext und mathematische Algorithmen gegossen werden, die von keinem mehr willkürlich irgendwie geändert werden können.
Aber das System ist nur so ehrlich wie seine Nutzer. So haben einige ihre Bitcoins auch für illegale Waren ausgegeben und ohne staatliche Kontrolle sehen Kritiker die Wertstabilität des Geldes gefährdet, denn der Bitcoinkurs ist auch schonmal extrem abgestürzt. Haben Bitcoins wirklich das Potential zur Weltwährung?
Prof. Dr. Wim Kösters: "Wenn die Bitcoins sich als Weltwährung etablieren würden, dann würden sie dem $ und dem € und dem Yen Konkurrenz machen, aber Bitcoins sind ja eben nur für eine kleine Gemeinde bisher ein Geldersatz."
Auch wenn Barbesitzer Jörg Platzer nicht glaubt, dass Bitcoins Standarwährungen ersetzen wird, träumt er doch davon, dass es sich als alternatives Zahlungsmittel etabliert. Und zwar nicht nur im Internet sondern auch im realen Leben.

Translation:
Burger, beer so far everything in this is standard in this Berlin bar.
But one thing the customer does not need: Cash.
For in the pub by Jörg Platzer you can pay with Bitcoins, an alternative digital currency.
Waiter: "That makes for 15 € Converted into Bitcoins ... makes ... 2.77Bitcoins."
Manuel: "I pay for my burger with Bitcoins. Don't need no cash anymore and pay easily with my phone."
Pay by mobile phone or laptop. Without banks or credit card companies.
Worldwide, anywhere.
Bitcoins, no money to touch but virtual money. Based on a mathematical formula and limited in the amount to 21 million units.
When the user downloads its software, he becomes part of the Bitcoin community.
He receives a digital wallet with a cryptographic code.
Now he can share in the Bitcoin network. Classically for currencies such as euros or dollars or in exchange for goods and services.
The community is still small. An estimated 100,000 people worldwide currently use Bitcoins.
Together with other pioneers bar owner Jörg Platzer has founded a small company.
For them the digital currency is a large global experiement with future potential.
Johann Friedrich Gallas: "You can send within seconds from Germany to China 1 cent or 1000 €, without friction losses through traditional third-parties such as banks or payment service providers. Bitcoin works peer to peer."
For all Bitcoin participants form a network. When Bitcoins swap ownership, this is checked, authorized and noted by a special, high-performance computer on the net and stored in a public file.
The updated file is then sent to all participants.
This means that all are aware of how many Bitcoins there are in circulation.
This prevents counterfeit and duplicate use.
For the self-appointed economic reformers this decentralized process is crucial. No state, no central bank decides.
Rather, they rely on (Platzer, Joerg:) "that very many people can look at the rules by which the currency runs.
That these rules are determined democratically by the community and poured into source code and mathematical algorithms that can not be changed arbitrarily.
But the system is only as honest as its users. Some have their Bitcoins also issued for illegal goods and without state control critics see the stability of money at risk because the Bitcoin rate already crashed extremely.
Do Bitcoins really have the potential for world currency?
Prof. Dr. Wim Kösters: "If the Bitcoins would be established as a world currency, then they would compete with the $ and the € and the Yen, but Bitcoins are here only for a small community so far a substitute for money."
Although bar owner Jörg Platzer does not believe that Bitcoins will replace standard currencies he still dreams of it, that it is establishing itself as an alternative means of payment. And not only on the Internet but also in real life.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
January 21, 2012, 04:43:27 PM

- German thread
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
January 20, 2012, 11:21:53 PM
Here is the english version (much better than the Google automated translation): the newsletter is published in both English and French.

http://www.paristechreview.com/2012/01/20/bitcoin-universal-complementary-currency/

Bitcoins are created ex nihilo, pretty much in the same way as dollars are created when a commercial bank lends money to someone who is buying a house.

Actually, bitcoins are created according to a set of rules, themselves based upon the laws of math, logic and thermodynamics. As Stephen Hawking would say, the fact that such rules exist implies that bitcoins would exist. Bank loans exist at the whim of the banker.
legendary
Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015
e-ducat.fr
January 20, 2012, 06:27:59 PM
Here is the english version (much better than the Google automated translation): the newsletter is published in both English and French.

http://www.paristechreview.com/2012/01/20/bitcoin-universal-complementary-currency/
Pages:
Jump to: