Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources - page 84. (Read 430922 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
June 03, 2011, 11:18:37 AM
We are talking about mainstream press here m8, not about a granny buying milk for nanobitcoins.

Explanation: Yahoo front page as opposed to slashdot or hacker news front page.

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
June 03, 2011, 11:16:25 AM
Yep this is as mainstream as it gets, except maybe first page of Forbes or Time or Financial Times.

Naaah.  When grandparents read about it in AARP magazine or Reader's Digest, then it's mainstream.
When you can walk down the street and ask ten people if they've heard of Bitcoin, nine people have.  Then it's mainstream.

This is a huge milestone, but there's room to grow until Bitcoin is as much a recognized word as "Facebook".
Then I'd say it's speculative value has peaked.  Then we move to utility value.
Activity: 174
Merit: 101
June 03, 2011, 11:15:22 AM
We can't be far from national evening cable news. I think the Al-Jazeera English story will be the catalyst for that. From there, I would expect we get some interesting stress tests on the BTC economy.
Activity: 126
June 03, 2011, 11:06:35 AM
strap your bicycle helmets on people
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
June 03, 2011, 10:50:33 AM
The SmartMoney story is currently being linked to from the homepage of Yahoo! Finance:

http://finance.yahoo.com/

OMG,  if this is not mainstream, then what is???
legendary
Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000
June 03, 2011, 10:41:49 AM
The SmartMoney story is currently being linked to from the homepage of Yahoo! Finance:

http://finance.yahoo.com/
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
June 03, 2011, 09:50:08 AM

I'm pretty sure people do not consider financial privacy as being some kind of a right.

Financial privacy is incompatible with income tax.  And very little people consider income tax as being non acceptable.

They will change their minds.

One funny thing is that we don't actually need bitcoin to have financial privacy.

Financial privacy was possible as soon as assymetric cryptography was invented.  Strangely enough, nobody asks why one should give his name and address when opening a bank account.  A public key should be enough.

Financial privacy means privacy from the bank.  Anonymous systems were never instituted in the US because it was never in the interests of the bankers to do so.  If one was willing to do it back in the 1980's, we wouldn't have the same issues today.
Activity: 966
Merit: 501
PredX - AI-Powered Prediction Market
June 03, 2011, 09:49:20 AM
Here you have to give all government issued ID numbers as possible to open a bank account, no matter how much you want to put in it.

And it has already been proven that the government can access it at will (once a minister got fired after somehow getting his hands on the financial data of a farm maintenance worker that worked for a political adversary... btw: that minister got hired back :/)
legendary
June 03, 2011, 09:46:35 AM

I'm pretty sure people do not consider financial privacy as being some kind of a right.

Financial privacy is incompatible with income tax.  And very little people consider income tax as being non acceptable.

One funny thing is that we don't actually need bitcoin to have financial privacy.

Financial privacy was possible as soon as assymetric cryptography was invented.  Strangely enough, nobody asks why one should give his name and address when opening a bank account.  A public key should be enough.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
June 03, 2011, 09:42:18 AM

legendary
June 03, 2011, 09:38:56 AM
I am also trying to be a responsible spokesperson for bitcoin. I will be presenting at a prestigious business school in August and I am very aware of the importance of words. As eluded to above, bitcoin will be delivered to the masses as a story. We can shape that story now, but perhaps not later. Do you want bitcoin known as a convenient, private way to buy and sell on the Internet, or as anonymous drug money for terrorist?

Actually, bitcoin should be known for neither. Bitcoin is a nonpolitical decentralized cryptocurrency with user-determined anonymity and transaction irreversibility. Most people are happy transacting on the Internet with VISA/MC/AMEX when it comes to plane tickets, hotels, etc. Terrorists and drug dealers already use $100 bills but that is not the fault of the innocent $100 bill.

I believe that, in the media, bitcoin needs to be positioned as a way to restore financial privacy to the individual:

1. Secrecy does equal concealment, but rather secrecy equals privacy;
2. Large-scale private value transfer should not be impeded across national boundaries (money laundering is a pejorative term);
3. Freedom from confiscation and tax levies;
4. Freedom from money being used to track identity;
5. Protection from the depreciating nation-State political currencies subject to constant debasement.

+1

Activity: 126
June 03, 2011, 09:32:36 AM
I am also trying to be a responsible spokesperson for bitcoin. I will be presenting at a prestigious business school in August and I am very aware of the importance of words. As eluded to above, bitcoin will be delivered to the masses as a story. We can shape that story now, but perhaps not later. Do you want bitcoin known as a convenient, private way to buy and sell on the Internet, or as anonymous drug money for terrorist?

Actually, bitcoin should be known for neither. Bitcoin is a nonpolitical decentralized cryptocurrency with user-determined anonymity and transaction irreversibility. Most people are happy transacting on the Internet with VISA/MC/AMEX when it comes to plane tickets, hotels, etc. Terrorists and drug dealers already use $100 bills but that is not the fault of the innocent $100 bill.

I believe that, in the media, bitcoin needs to be positioned as a way to restore financial privacy to the individual:

2. Large-scale private value transfer should not be impeded across national boundaries (money laundering is a pejorative term);
5. Protection from the depreciating nation-State political currencies subject to constant debasement.

+1
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
June 03, 2011, 09:32:14 AM

Why not copy what the FED does when they defend their secrecy! Call it independence!!

Bitcoin gives the consumer back the independence from big banks and large fees!
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
June 03, 2011, 09:28:43 AM
1. Bitcoin is anonymous.  
2. Anonymous is anonymous.  
3. Anonymous are hackers.  
4. Herp
5. Derp
6. Therefore, Bitcoiners are hackers.

Can a news outlet quote you on that?  Shocked

BTW Joe Rogan mentioned Silk Road and Bitcoin in his latest podcast or so I heard on twitter, listening to it now to find out and will report after.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15103286 (around the 1 hour mark, only briefly)
Activity: 303
Merit: 251
June 03, 2011, 08:49:01 AM

1. Secrecy does not equal concealment, but rather secrecy equals privacy;
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
June 03, 2011, 04:15:55 AM
There's an article in the current print edition of New Scientist - unfortunately you can't read online in full without a subscription.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21028155.600-future-of-money-virtual-cash-gets-real.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21028153.200-future-of-money-back-to-a-networked-future.html

Activity: 98
Merit: 13
June 03, 2011, 01:06:21 AM

URL: http://www.nouse.co.uk/2011/06/01/the-end-of-sterling/

The end of sterling?

What do alpaca socks, poker chips and pet food have in common? Answer: they can all be purchased with Bitcoin, a monetary unit within a digital economy that has no cash, cards, vaults, banks or governments. The premise is simple: after acquiring Bitcoins either through exchange sites, or by helping out the network, users are able to exchange Bitcoins, which then can be spent on goods or services, or saved up within a virtual piggybank.

[...]
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
June 03, 2011, 12:52:52 AM
+1 horkabork
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
June 03, 2011, 12:25:26 AM

1. Bitcoin is anonymous. 
2. Anonymous is anonymous. 
3. Anonymous are hackers. 
4. Herp
5. Derp
6. Therefore, Bitcoiners are hackers.

Many bitcoiners may be hackers, but they are not vandals.
Pages:
Jump to: