Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources - page 82. (Read 430922 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
June 04, 2011, 09:04:47 PM

1. Bitcoin is anonymous. 
2. Anonymous is anonymous. 
3. Anonymous are hackers. 
4. Herp
5. Derp
6. Therefore, Bitcoiners are hackers.

Many bitcoiners may be hackers, but they are not vandals.
Post comments criticizing those articles. Why even mention Bitcoin in the context of criminal activity without adequately explaining what it is?
Activity: 98
Merit: 13
June 04, 2011, 07:22:54 PM

Benzinga.com emailed me, noting that they had revised the story.  I see the revisions on Forbes.com, but not benzinga.com.

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
June 04, 2011, 07:04:44 PM
just a blog, not sure how notable...

http://blog.ezyang.com/2011/06/the-cryptography-of-bitcoin/

together with a comment by yours truly...

> “all of these primitives are hard-coded into the Bitcoin protocol”

However:

if blockNumber > X
  use_new_hardcoded_primitives()
else
  use_old_hardcoded_primitives()

Here goes your “hard coded” argument.

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Do The Evolution
June 04, 2011, 12:01:34 PM
lawl! xD

Well, who says I cannot have multies?
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
June 04, 2011, 11:21:57 AM
Quite honestly I can each week pass all my funds to MtGox the withdraw them to a new wallet.

Only $1000 or 58 BTC (with current rate) per day can be withdrawn. Don't do it Smiley
Do The Evolution
June 04, 2011, 11:04:46 AM
It is anonymous if you know how to use it.

Quite honestly I can each week pass all my funds to MtGox the withdraw them to a new wallet.
Activity: 126
June 04, 2011, 10:52:01 AM
Falkvienge comes this time withh a series of articles regarding flaws and pros of the clients, the first being about usability.

We can lear a lot from him. Smiley
http://falkvinge.net/2011/06/04/bitcoins-four-hurdles-part-one-usability/

Falkvienge should also learn that bitcoin is not anonymous, btw (he stated it was).
Do The Evolution
June 04, 2011, 10:38:02 AM
Falkvienge comes this time withh a series of articles regarding flaws and pros of the clients, the first being about usability.

We can lear a lot from him. Smiley
http://falkvinge.net/2011/06/04/bitcoins-four-hurdles-part-one-usability/
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
June 04, 2011, 08:47:37 AM
are you not familiar with gawker?  That's how they operate, sex, drugs, depravity.  Doesn't stop me from reading it, deadspin, and jalopnik everyday.  Guess I should also peruse their tech site as well.

No no, I know how Gawker operates. I used to enjoy them as well but have since stopped reading their site as well as the entire Gawker network. Attention grabbers and biased reporting. It just shocked me that they were basically saying "Look! Bitcoins went up! That must mean all these geeks that read our article are buying drugs just like we thought! What, more price increase? More drugs!"
Activity: 168
June 04, 2011, 08:43:50 AM
are you not familiar with gawker?  That's how they operate, sex, drugs, depravity.  Doesn't stop me from reading it, deadspin, and jalopnik everyday.  Guess I should also peruse their tech site as well.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
June 04, 2011, 08:42:01 AM

What a joke. Gawker reads one thing into bitcoin: drugs. They then see the price increase and come to the conclusion that they wrote an article on buying drugs with bitcoins, therefore the big price increase is because everyone reads Gawker and wants drugs!!

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
June 04, 2011, 07:49:55 AM
Bitcoin has just hit TV in Germany:

http://www.wdr.de/tv/aks/sendungsbeitraege/2011/kw22/0603/angeklickt.jsp

It is very objectively depicted as the perfect online payment system after a short ranting about a recently found privacy violation by another popular German online payment service - this was _very_ positive press indeed!

Note that WDR is a large public broadcasting service in Germany (part of ARD) and not some private channel!

I'd totally count that as mainstream Cheesy
Activity: 216
June 04, 2011, 04:02:09 AM
From: Jay Hanson's [America2Point0] Digest Number 2130    Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:30 AM

Re: HYPOTHETICALVILLE
Posted by: "Jay Hanson" [email protected]   emy8rq
Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:55 pm (PDT)

I think we showed that it was fairly easy to devise a simple economic
system without the need for banks, interest, and endless economic
growth. Perhaps "bitcoin" is the answer. Only time will tell...

It seems to me that the economy is going down the toilet again -- my
guess is for the /last time /because of net energy constraints.

Let's hope some bright, honest people are able to reinvent our country before it collapses in anarchy or global war.

Jay

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
June 04, 2011, 03:01:57 AM
A couple of noteworthy quotes from the article, that made me  Grin

This article was published June 3.  Where the devil was he getting his numbers?
The current cost of a Bitcoin is just over $6.93.

I didn't see this one linked yet.
http://dailyreckoning.com/an-emerging-free-market-currency/
Activity: 406
June 04, 2011, 12:49:03 AM
In his article Grant Babcock says:

"The principle that the value of a currency can be traced back to a time when it was not yet a currency but just a commodity like any other is called the regression theorem, and interested parties can read more about it in Human Action Ch 17 § 4."

But he forgets to differentiate between intrinsic value and exchange value.

The intrinsic value might be zero (as is that of the USD), but the exchange value is much higher than zero, due to the specific properties of the bitcoin currency (anonimity, security, safety, traceability, non-inflatability etc...).
So yes, many times a currency starts as a commodity with non-zero value, but that's not an absolute requirement for a currency to be just that: a currency.

For instance, the intrinsic value of the USD started as a certain fixed amount of gold, then went to zero.
The property of it being backed by its artificial scarcity, caused by the requirement of all oil from the Middle East to be payed in USD, gives it a value as exchange currency.

Off topic:
That's also the reason why Saddam Hoessein and Khaddafi (and soon Hugo Chavez, and who knows, Iran) are/were/will be bombed into oblivion by the USA and its partners in crime, the NATO: they were going to accept payment in other than USD currencies.

Back on topic:
So, where intrinsic value is not needed, exchange value is, for a currency to be accepted as a means of exchange.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1023
Democracy is the original 51% attack
June 04, 2011, 12:16:20 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/112854/currency-up-200000-percent-smartmoney?mod=bb-budgeting

This article was posted elsewhere a couple days ago, but hit front page of finance.yahoo.com.  Probably a big deal =)
Activity: 98
Merit: 13
June 03, 2011, 11:20:57 PM
Bitcoin: The Significance of Decentralised Currency

Bitcoin is the most resilient of all currencies; unlike others, it can weather a global economic meltdown or even a nuclear war

According to Underground Economist Sean Lynch, Bitcoin will never devalue to absolute worthlessness because of its extreme liquidity relative to other currencies – it will always bounce back eventually.

[...]
Pages:
Jump to: