Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin price alert idea - page 2. (Read 3843 times)

Activity: 333
Merit: 250
April 14, 2013, 10:14:37 PM
No, what he mentioned was www.bitcoin-tools.de Smiley
Activity: 196
Merit: 116
Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.
April 14, 2013, 05:56:35 PM
What youre looking for is

BTCprice.info

Free SMS alerts, based on % change, threshold and frequency.

Currently 8 countries, expanding to 140 within the next month or so
April 14, 2013, 08:41:54 AM
Today I´ve seen that spike, too. Read here, please: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1836451
April 13, 2013, 08:53:33 AM
You´re welcome. Thanks for the nice feature-suggestion.
I added it directly to the wishlist: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57736.300
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010
April 12, 2013, 08:58:14 PM
at the ticker some times delivered not the right values during last days.
The 10 Seconds-Delay is also based on Mt.Gox-Ticker as it´s not allowed to pull more often then 10 Seconds. They allready banned one of mine server for trying it more often.

Thanks for the response. Is there a way to add a feature that disregards large, transient spikes? In other words, provide a way to not throw the alarm until it stays above or below said value for more than 30 seconds (three samples)? Maybe make this sample value user configurable?  This would help reduce false positives because the wrong values in my case didn't tend to stay up for much longer than a sample or two.
April 12, 2013, 07:43:26 PM
Sorry for the problems with the bitcoin-tools.de...
The problem here is, that the values are received from Mt.Gox-Ticker and during last days it wasn´t very useful as source for such values...
As you may know they had several problems with their Servers as it was being under attack. Even the "big players" in market like Clark Moody or Bitcoincharts had sometimes no data.
I even have seen that the ticker some times delivered not the right values during last days.
The 10 Seconds-Delay is also based on Mt.Gox-Ticker as it´s not allowed to pull more often then 10 Seconds. They allready banned one of mine server for trying it more often.
legendary
April 12, 2013, 03:51:33 PM
http://www.bitcoin-tools.de

just leave it open on your phone and you have exactly what you are describing.

Gotta be careful with this one, though, if you're using it as an alarm clock! I set it to alert me overnight if the price went over $140 (yesterday's high) or under 60 (around yesterday's low) and for whatever reason, bitcoin-tools.de got a quick blip up to 300 and it started mooing loudly and would've woken me up (even though the actual price on Mt. Gox was only hovering around 100).

Plus, turns out it didn't go off for me today when the price dropped below 60 a little after noon today, but again had a false positive moo for 10 seconds thinking the price went over 140 a little bit ago.
legendary
April 12, 2013, 03:47:42 AM

Gotta be careful with this one, though, if you're using it as an alarm clock! I set it to alert me overnight if the price went over $140 (yesterday's high) or under 60 (around yesterday's low) and for whatever reason, bitcoin-tools.de got a quick blip up to 300 and it started mooing loudly and would've woken me up (even though the actual price on Mt. Gox was only hovering around 100).
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
April 12, 2013, 03:01:13 AM
you can also use http://www.btctrack.com/
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
April 09, 2013, 10:14:58 PM
A crash on the scale of the 2011 crash would only ever be possible if major exchanges/institutions were hacked. If we have a crash, BTC may lose half or 75% of its value tops, and then slowly creep back up past the current paradigm. The media craze following the price rise is causing a ton of widespread adoption that is just in its infancy. The amount of strong hands is not going anywhere, there's already too much BTC-related investment that takes waaaay more to to be reversed than a simple panic.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
April 09, 2013, 10:06:30 PM

Activity: 155
April 09, 2013, 06:00:22 PM

Bitcoin is skyrocketing. I would hope the crash is not going to come but it seems there is a spiral of greed and it will continue until the point where greed turns to fear and fear turn to panic.

The bubble could crash while I sleep and there is nothing that would slow a Bitcoin crash.

Do you have any idea to prevent this scenario?

I am thinking to develop a Bitcoin price alert that will send SMS to a mobile phone if the price fall to a certain limit.

Does that sound a good idea?

No, because it will enable more people to sell during a panic, accelerating the crash Undecided

You're right but it will save some people.
Personally, I'm going to build this or I'm going to use one that already exist.
April 09, 2013, 05:53:01 PM
Absolutely, what kind of results were you looking for ROI, buy/sell gains, or what in particular?

Great!
Actually, questions 1,2,4,6,7. I am really interested about guarantees worth mentioning and biggest concerns.
Thank you

Gotcha I'll make sure to post all the result in that thread once the responses stop coming in.  If you'd like to subscribe to the thread I'll post them there.

Very nice of you. Thank you.
My pleasure, thanks for taking the time to fill out the survey.

I'd post a link to the responses that are updated as they are filled out but I'll have to remove any personal information in case anybody includes any before publicly releasing the results.

Thanks ;-)
April 09, 2013, 05:50:33 PM

Bitcoin is skyrocketing. I would hope the crash is not going to come but it seems there is a spiral of greed and it will continue until the point where greed turns to fear and fear turn to panic.

The bubble could crash while I sleep and there is nothing that would slow a Bitcoin crash.

I am thinking to develop a Bitcoin price alert that will send SMS to a mobile phone if the price fall to a certain limit.

There are several of these services already.

Do you use them or do you think it's worthless?
Links would be great ;-)
tlr
Activity: 86
April 09, 2013, 05:48:01 PM

No, because it will enable more people to sell during a panic, accelerating the crash Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003
April 09, 2013, 05:43:23 PM

There are several of these services already.
Activity: 28
April 09, 2013, 05:40:49 PM
Absolutely, what kind of results were you looking for ROI, buy/sell gains, or what in particular?

Great!
Actually, questions 1,2,4,6,7. I am really interested about guarantees worth mentioning and biggest concerns.
Thank you

Gotcha I'll make sure to post all the result in that thread once the responses stop coming in.  If you'd like to subscribe to the thread I'll post them there.

My pleasure, thanks for taking the time to fill out the survey.

I'd post a link to the responses that are updated as they are filled out but I'll have to remove any personal information in case anybody includes any before publicly releasing the results.
April 09, 2013, 05:36:47 PM

Great!
Thank you

April 09, 2013, 05:33:48 PM

Maybe. Or maybe it's happening because a whole slew of new businesses want to operate with bitcoins, and they are buying up a baseline level of bitcoin that they need to do business.

That sounds like a good way to stress out about the price falling, and possibly do something silly like sell all your bitcoins at a bad price.

I have a more chill suggestion: find a level of investment that you're comfortable with, and quit watching the price. You might be much happier Smiley.

You're absolutely right on both. It could be this way... but with human nature you never know.
Activity: 28
April 09, 2013, 05:33:04 PM

Great!
Thank you

Pages:
Jump to: