Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin price increases are just getting started - page 6. (Read 37579 times)

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

Bitcoin will be very valuable not because some insider trading on some black market betting services/exchanges. Bitcoin will be very valuable because every freaking single mobile phone on the planet (yes billions and billions of them) will have a bitcoin wallet with a few nanobitcoins in it.

Why would mobile phone users use an alien currency when they could use their native currency tied to their pre-existing checking account? (keeping in mind the average consumer dosen't care much about anonymity or ending the fed)

For years there's been speculation that cellphones could replace debit/credit cards but it still hasn't taken off.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
Interestingly enough, I just came across this one Intrade:

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/contract/?contractId=745538

Intrade has a new look. Wonder when they'll get a new currency Wink
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Didn't someone just announce a website to do exactly that with bitcoins a few days ago?

Please post a link. I think maybe you are talking about the bitcoin stock exchange?

I glanced at that site. Looked like they were going to start a stock exchange where companies register and are traded in bitcoins. That may be a good idea, but it is not at all what I am imagining.
I will if I can find it.  It wasn't the bitcoin stock exchange.  It was definitely along the lines of what you are describing - basically, contract betting.

One of the important concepts of a predictions market is that it incentivizes the sharing of information. This can be used maliciously or benevolently, but in my opinion, sharing information is a net benefit. Imagine if there was a predictions contract stating that a large scale terrorist attack would be attempted in September of 2001. Game theory comes into play here, all you need is one person with knowledge of the attack to defect and cash in by buying the contract. The price would rise, and information would be gained by the community that could be used to prevent the attempt from succeeding.
I guess I don't quite understand how this works.  If someone bought a contract saying it would happen, because they had knowledge of such an attack, then why would they release the information about the attack before it happened, foiling the plans of the attack and losing the bet?  What am I missing here?

The bet is on the attempt, not the successful execution (in this hypothetical). Imagine the contract states a payout of $10 if the prediction is determined to be 'true'. It pays out $0 if the contract is determined to be 'false'. Therefore, a price of $5 is essentially telling the world that the market believes there is a 50% chance an attack will be attempted. If you know for a fact that an attempt will occur to a confidence of 99.9999% probability, then you stand to make a LOT of money by buying as many contracts as possible, therefore raising the price to $9.99. This effectively tells the world that 'the market' believes there is a 99.9% chance an attack will occur. Of course, it is a double edged sword. It also means a person can gain from buying the contract first, THEN having someone else orchestrate an attack, in order to profit.
Ahhh, that's the missing piece of the puzzle - the bet is on the attempt, not on it suceeding!

I realize that one could also bet on an attack succeeding, but they wouldn't want to give away ANY details about it if that were the case.  Maybe, "A terrorist attack on November 13th, 2011 in America".  It wouldn't give away enough information to stop whatever would happen, but would be specific enough to place a bet on.

Of course, anyone who bets on something like that with the knowledge that human lives will most likely be lost if they do not give the information out to the proper individuals is a sick person indeed...
Activity: 174
Merit: 101
Interestingly enough, I just came across this one Intrade:

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/contract/?contractId=745538
Yeah, know a good market where I can find such a contract? Or derivative upon the derivative perhaps n^3?

That reminds me of another IM conversation I had with . . . somebody else:

him: on December 21 2012  is the day everyone will become aware.
me: aware of what?
him: UFO's are here, and always have been.
me: Interesting prediction
him: I don't think its a prediction.
him: its pretty well set in stone.
him: no pun intended
me: Do you think that on December 22nd 2012, I will believe that "UFO's are here, and always have been."?
him: I would bet my life on it.
me: Wow. Forget betting your life. I wish there was a way to bet money on it.
him: I guess we'll have to bet on December 20th.
him: 2012

I sure hope there is a predictions market running by then.

A fool and his money...
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031
Rational Exuberance
Yeah, know a good market where I can find such a contract? Or derivative upon the derivative perhaps n^3?

That reminds me of another IM conversation I had with . . . somebody else:

him: on December 21 2012  is the day everyone will become aware.
me: aware of what?
him: UFO's are here, and always have been.
me: Interesting prediction
him: I don't think its a prediction.
him: its pretty well set in stone.
him: no pun intended
me: Do you think that on December 22nd 2012, I will believe that "UFO's are here, and always have been."?
him: I would bet my life on it.
me: Wow. Forget betting your life. I wish there was a way to bet money on it.
him: I guess we'll have to bet on December 20th.
him: 2012

I sure hope there is a predictions market running by then.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
I'd say that all these theories of underground exchanges which ignore KYC rules, move around billions of dollars in bitcoins are very interesting. Though idea that such exchanges would survive more than a few days or month before being taken down and operators imprisoned is rather far fetched.

We should engage in a predictions contract regarding this.  Smiley

Didn't someone just announce a website to do exactly that with bitcoins a few days ago?

Please post a link. I think maybe you are talking about the bitcoin stock exchange?

I glanced at that site. Looked like they were going to start a stock exchange where companies register and are traded in bitcoins. That may be a good idea, but it is not at all what I am imagining.
I will if I can find it.  It wasn't the bitcoin stock exchange.  It was definitely along the lines of what you are describing - basically, contract betting.

One of the important concepts of a predictions market is that it incentivizes the sharing of information. This can be used maliciously or benevolently, but in my opinion, sharing information is a net benefit. Imagine if there was a predictions contract stating that a large scale terrorist attack would be attempted in September of 2001. Game theory comes into play here, all you need is one person with knowledge of the attack to defect and cash in by buying the contract. The price would rise, and information would be gained by the community that could be used to prevent the attempt from succeeding.
I guess I don't quite understand how this works.  If someone bought a contract saying it would happen, because they had knowledge of such an attack, then why would they release the information about the attack before it happened, foiling the plans of the attack and losing the bet?  What am I missing here?

The bet is on the attempt, not the successful execution (in this hypothetical). Imagine the contract states a payout of $10 if the prediction is determined to be 'true'. It pays out $0 if the contract is determined to be 'false'. Therefore, a price of $5 is essentially telling the world that the market believes there is a 50% chance an attack will be attempted. If you know for a fact that an attempt will occur to a confidence of 99.9999% probability, then you stand to make a LOT of money by buying as many contracts as possible, therefore raising the price to $9.99. This effectively tells the world that 'the market' believes there is a 99.9% chance an attack will occur. Of course, it is a double edged sword. It also means a person can gain from buying the contract first, THEN having someone else orchestrate an attack, in order to profit.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers

It would not be Osama Bin Laden that would bet on it, but his housekeeper who overheard the plan. She would bet big on a terrorist attack happening, because she doesn't care about Jihad and she sees a way to make some easy money.

Even if the terrorist did bet on he'd be warning us. And even if he pulls it off anyway, he only wins money that people bet. Winning a bet would probably be the least bad thing the guy did in the day.
legendary
Rational Exuberance

It would not be Osama Bin Laden that would bet on it, but his housekeeper who overheard the plan. She would bet big on a terrorist attack happening, because she doesn't care about Jihad and she sees a way to make some easy money.

There is a good chance her bet would NOT foil the attack, because she would not give specific enough information, but her employer would definitely not be pleased if he found out she was doing this. The CIA on the other hand, would be pleased to have some intel on when an attack might be happening.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

I'd say that all these theories of underground exchanges which ignore KYC rules, move around billions of dollars in bitcoins are very interesting. Though idea that such exchanges would survive more than a few days or month before being taken down and operators imprisoned is rather far fetched.

We should engage in a predictions contract regarding this.  Smiley
legendary
Rational Exuberance

The idea of a totally anonymous decentralized currency immune from government shut-down seemed pretty far-fetched to me a few months ago. What stops the same principles from allowing anonymous prediction markets?
legendary
Rational Exuberance

Very good point. And if you were such a terrorist, wouldn't you rather cash out in a completely untraceable anonymous currency?

99.9% of the time when people are speculating that such-and-such asset might be worth an absurdly large value, the price spikes (like bitcoins are), but then reality sets in and the price settles back down (you can learn all about how this happens with penny stocks from Timothy Sykes).

Most of the time, the boosters of the asset have their heads in the clouds and are ignoring important key facts.

With bitcoins, I keep running the numbers, and I keep calculating absurd values for what bitcoins could easily be worth someday. But everybody on the forum who suggests that these values might really happen seem to be nutzo government haters who only keep dollar bills for toilet paper.

I keep wondering: am I the only sane person who thinks this could actually be massively successful without requiring a doomsday scenario?
Activity: 551
Merit: 500
impatiently waiting for billions of something to move into bitcoin
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo

Or it could be a market along the lines of an insider information market ... like the CIA might be interested in trading secrets upon ... (really?, yep) or industrial espionage or really dirty political secrets are traded .. like a morph of wikileaks and bitcoin
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
Good reason to think so if you ask me.  I think though considering the very small size of the bitcoin economy, how well it seems to work and the lack of any good competing service that the legitimate business could have just as much value to offer.  The really big one in my eyes is what happens when an online retailer like Amazon realizes how much money they can save not paying Visa MasterCard for every transaction.  I suspect that so long as no fatal flaw is found online stores will gradually notice and accept the coins starting with the small stores we see now and progressing slowly upward as larger operations realize the potential savings.  This is also what really needs to happen to keep bitcoin from being a legislative target.  Visa/MC/PP are big, but if enough people are making money in bitcoins the greed will keep it safe from big brother.

Imagine what would happen if Amazon were to offer a 1% discount for using bitcoins, and just .5% of it's $36billion revenue started to come from bitcoins.
legendary
Rational Exuberance
You're imagining a predictions market almost exactly like Intrade, except it will allow all predictions including company-specific (something Intrade does not allow). I think it's a good idea.

Ah - I thought InTrade was just another stock trading platform.

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about, EXCEPT it has to be decentralized somehow (like the informal system using mediators I described above) or hosted anonymously (like the silk road).

Regardless of HOW it happens, the important thing is that it WILL happen. Whether it happens with bitcoins or some other e-currency is anybody's guess. Still, I ain't selling MY bitcoins Smiley

Oh, and by the way, there is a huge first-mover advantage to the first system set up to do this. Once people are trading somewhere, it can be very hard to start a competitor (think of ebay's 9% fees versus all those free auction sites).

And . . . go!
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo

Yeah its called BetFair

we just need a BetFair for bitcoin ... anybody can be the book and anybody can be the punter.
Pages:
Jump to: