Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin-ready linux distro - page 4. (Read 800 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 10505
January 30, 2023, 12:13:18 AM
(full node software like Core, another lightweight software like Electrum, all libraries pre-installed, Tor, some other useful tools and everything else declutted)

I ask this because if you were to for instance land in another country, and you needed to install everything from scratch, it would take a ton of time.
These wallet softwares don't really need that many "libraries" to install before you can install/run them. For example Electrum only requires python 3 which comes pre-installed with most Linux distros already. So there isn't much time to be spent installing these.

The time consuming part is verifying the authenticity of these which is best done by yourself instead of trusting a distro that won't be popular or reviewed enough. Besides, if you do it a couple of times you should become fast in doing the verification since it is really easy.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
January 29, 2023, 11:27:59 PM
Bitcoin Core and minimalist usually doesn't come in the same line. You would probably need to wait for at least a day for it to synchronize on a computer with pretty good specs and I doubt those would be useful in the situation that you've listed. If you're looking for an ISO that does this, then Tails would be the closest to what you've described though they only include Electrum.

You can customize your own ISO if you want, but I think that would be too much of a hassle.
Activity: 994
Merit: 137
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
January 29, 2023, 08:02:00 PM
It takes a few minutes to install Electrum and Bitcoin Core on a new system. That's better than trusting an unknown iso.

Agreed! Trusting an unknown ISO could potentially lead to disastrous consequences. Taking the time to install Electrum or Bitcoin Core may take a few minutes, but it's worth it to have full control over your funds and the security of knowing that you're not relying on an unknown source. Better safe than sorry!
Activity: 1643
Merit: 683
LoyceV on the road. Or couch.
January 29, 2023, 05:20:00 PM
It takes a few minutes to install Electrum and Bitcoin Core on a new system. That's better than trusting an unknown iso.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1355
January 29, 2023, 05:15:40 PM
The idea would be a minimalist setup, with some sort of system that automatically downloads, verifies and compiles the required software and libraries during the installation process.

Typically, during the installation process, the operating system and its core components are installed. However, it is common for many systems to have outdated or missing software and libraries that are needed to run applications and perform certain tasks. To ensure that the system is up-to-date and functioning optimally, it is important to perform software updates regularly.

No distribution, as far as I know, carries out software updates during the installation process. Instead, the updates are done after the installation is complete. This is often done through a prompt or a notification from the operating system, inviting the user to update the installed software.
Activity: 281
Merit: 408
January 29, 2023, 04:06:29 PM
Is there such a thing being developed and kept updated? What I mean is a distro that comes with preinstalled software that you would need for any Bitcoin related business (full node software like Core, another lightweight software like Electrum, all libraries pre-installed, Tor, some other useful tools and everything else declutted)

I ask this because if you were to for instance land in another country, and you needed to install everything from scratch, it would take a ton of time. If you could have everything in an .iso more or less ready to run, you would just get your laptop (which you wiped before crossing any borders) and install your linux Bitcoin distro, and leave it there installing everything while you chill on your hotel's swimming pool or something. After a while everything is ready so you just enter your passphrase or recover your wallet.dat which you temporarily left somewhere in the cloud encrypted and get your coins ready.

I know Tails has Electrum but it doesn't have Bitcoin Core. It also has a ton of stuff I don't need and Electrum is always outdated.

The idea would be a minimalist setup, with some sort of system that automatically downloads, verifies and compiles the required software and libraries during the installation process.
Pages:
Jump to: